Texas Re-Opening Announced

Storm the Field

3 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

This would be so 2020.  Can't impeach the president for horrifying shit, but try to shut down bars in Texas?  Impeach the governor.  Not defending Abbot here, but come on.

I mean, we did have multiple county parties (at least 6) censure him. Impeaching him is just the next step.

The Ector County Republican Party voted Saturday to censure Gov. Greg Abbott, accusing him of overstepping his authority in responding to the coronavirus pandemic, while state Sen. Charles Perry, R-Lubbock, called for a special session so lawmakers could have a say in how Texas proceeds amid soaring caseloads.

So that is a state senator, that wants a special session to second guess Abbott.

Edited by relapse98

8 minutes ago, relapse98 said:

I think if Greggy does try any more shut downs, the legislature might work their way towards an impeachment.
Since we aren't in session, it would take either:

Proclamation of the speaker following the submission of a written petition signed by at least 50 members of the House.
   or

Proclamation signed by a majority of the members of the House. There are 150 members of the Texas State House.

I think the House might actually try and get to that 50 member count. 83 Republicans, entirely possible they could get 50.

Now that would be peak 2020 AND peak simulation.

Federal Republicans acquit a fake Republican president caught obstructing justice and using foreign policy to help his reelection while ....

State Republicans impeach a Republican stalwart governor who after trying his hardest not to, actually does the right thing to try and save lives

Edit

Biff beat me to it.

Edited by Dnaguy
  • Like 3

6 hours ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

I'm going to add, that Lt. Dan is doing little to assist Abbott with the response. He is still touring Fox with the BLM/Antifa protest diatribes. He's the lieutenant governor for Pete's sake, the second in command and is useless. Second largest population and he is as useful as gum on my shoe.

When people criticize Abbott (rightly), I remember that he is better than his predecessor and far better than Lt Dan.

Texas just deserves better.  What is ADM McRaven doing?

11 minutes ago, relapse98 said:

Talked to my buddy in the Senate. He doesn't think impeachment is on the table yet.
He also thinks if anything is announced tomorrow it'll be on a county by county basis, depending on cases and hospitals.

Wait..... while I don't mind more focused regional policy on COVID, but Abbott can't fucking make up his damn mind on if he's going to let municipalities dictate local policy or if he's going to.  It's all so haphazard.  Should never have shit on his own guidelines to open in the first place.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

Wait..... while I don't mind more focused regional policy on COVID, but Abbott can't fucking make up his damn mind on if he's going to let municipalities dictate local policy or if he's going to.  It's all so haphazard.  Should never have shit on his own guidelines to open in the first place.

Yeah, the May 12th letters removing local control from municipalities was one of the worst moves ever.
And the whole haircut barbie episode where he got upset that his own executive order allowed the jailing of violators - f off dude, you put it there, don't get upset when it gets used.

5 hours ago, Dnaguy said:

This man has been in the US congress for 15 years.

420x0.jpg

Intelligence is not a requirement.

You have to be an American citizen for at least 7 years, 25 years old, and must live in the state your district is in ... and that's it.

i've often said...i would be genuinely surprised if his IQ is more than two digits 😐

49 minutes ago, relapse98 said:

Talked to my buddy in the Senate. He doesn't think impeachment is on the table yet.
He also thinks if anything is announced tomorrow it'll be on a county by county basis, depending on cases and hospitals.

Ok. New wrinkle.

If house impeaches, then Dan Patrick becomes the acting governor AND presides over the Senate trial.

Abbott is effectively removed from his post until he is acquitted by the Senate.

Is Dan craven enough to try and get the Texas house to impeach Abbott AND then try to use his position as acting governor / leader of the Texas Senate / presiding officer of the impeachment to essentially execute a lower case 'c' coup?

2020 still has plenty of dry powder you guys. 

https://www.honestaustin.com/2020/02/04/impeachment-texas-style-how-to-impeach-a-governor/

mpeachment in Texas is a little different than it is in Washington, D.C. 

Let’s ponder the hypothetical. Say the Texas Legislature wanted to remove a governor. How would that go?

Well, the first step is basically the same. The Texas House of Representatives has the power of impeachment, just as the U.S. House does. By a majority vote they can impeach the governor, a step that’s comparable to an indictment in a criminal court.

One major difference is what happens next. At the federal level, the president is still the president after the House impeaches him. But in Texas, once the House has voted to impeach a governor, that person is suspended from exercising their duties until after the outcome of a Senate trial.

That’s exactly what happened in 1917 when Governor “Pa” Ferguson was impeached by the Texas House. He immediately had to hand over his powers to Lieutenant Governor William Hobby.

Edited by Dnaguy

29 minutes ago, Dnaguy said:

Is Dan craven enough to try and get the Texas house to impeach Abbott AND then try to use his position as acting governor / leader of the Texas Senate / presiding officer of the impeachment to essentially execute a lower case 'c' coup?

Since the rumor around the  capitol is that he wants to primary Abbott and become governor anyways... why not do it now? I think the problem may be overplaying his hand, though. He becomes governor, opens things up 100% like they seem to want, and it becomes a bigger shit show than it already is. I think his best strategical move is to get them to not impeach so he doesn't have to actually do anything in regards to Covid, which means he'll probably push ahead full steam.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, relapse98 said:

Since the rumor around the  capitol is that he wants to primary Abbott and become governor anyways... why not do it now? I think the problem may be overplaying his hand, though. He becomes governor, opens things up 100% like they seem to want, and it becomes a bigger shit show than it already is. I think his best strategical move is to get them to not impeach so he doesn't have to actually do anything in regards to Covid, which means he'll probably push ahead full steam.

Sitting back and subtly throwing rocks from the cheap seats while keeping his name front and center on Fox etc does sound like the strategic plan. He ticks a lot of boxes for the 'issue' voters that dislike everyone and want to get up in their business. I think there are also voters who vote with/for familiarity and they think "he's crazy, but he's our kind of crazy" and they're okay with that.

Not my cup of tea and the Yanks were shrewd to discourage him from ever returning north.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, StassneyHorn said:

Going on Fox News every week is not something a man with aspirations of staying LT Governor does. He engaged George P Bush on the Alamo Cenotaph issue cause he sees him as the biggest threat.

He’s on Fox News to audition for trump 

Trying to figure out how to proceed, how to protect the students and the institutions is hard enough.  But to have to do it in this world of bullshit denial Trump and his bootlickers are rallying has got to be frustrating as hell.   

UT-Austin prepared a list of scenarios that would lead to a shutdown this fall. One trigger: a student dying of COVID-19.

Other reasons UT-Austin would close include “significant actions” by the governor or other public officials, sharply diminished hospital capacity, testing shortages on campus and unmanageable, widespread clusters of cases.

https://www.texastribune.org/2020/07/17/ut-austin-reopening-closure-fall-death/

Texas universities planning for students returning to class this fall in the midst of a global pandemic are already preparing for the possibility that they could have to abruptly shut down campus again if conditions worsen.

Earlier this month, the University of Texas at Austin laid out a list of scenarios that could trigger a midsemester closure. Prominent on the list: a student's death.

The acknowledgment that a student on campus could die from the coronavirus served as a grim reminder to the UT community of the risks people will be facing when thousands of students file into classrooms, dormitories and dining halls this August at a time when all Texans are being told to space out and stay home when possible.

Universities and colleges nationwide made the unprecedented move to send all students home in the middle of the spring semester, when coronavirus cases were relatively low. Now students will return to school as Texas emerges as one of the nation’s hot spots for the virus, and as people in their 20s have become one of the fastest-growing populations of those being infected.

Earlier this month, UT-Austin laid out a comprehensive set of benchmarks answering the question of what it would take to close down campus again. Along with student death, these triggers to campus closure include “significant actions” by the governor or other public officials, sharply diminished hospital capacity, testing shortages on campus and unmanageable, widespread clusters of cases.

Another school closure would result in canceled sports, completely virtual instruction and students being kicked out of dorms. It also could leave universities on the hook for millions of dollars owed back to students, just as it did last spring.

“While it may not have a massive impact on students themselves, they go back to their own communities. It’s just adding fuel to this transmission cycle that is then difficult to get under control.”

— Jill Weatherhead, professor of tropical medicine and infectious diseases at Baylor College of Medicine

As the first day of school nears, experts and public health advocates have sounded alarms for what a full-scale return to campus could do to students and the state.

“College students know they need to wear a mask, they can follow instructions ... but with the extracurriculars, the sporting events, living in dorms and shared spaces — you’re going to have a lot of bodies in one area, mostly indoors,” said Jill Weatherhead, a professor of tropical medicine and infectious diseases at Baylor College of Medicine. “While it may not have a massive impact on students themselves, they go back to their own communities. It’s just adding fuel to this transmission cycle that is then difficult to get under control.”

UT has outlined six phases, from fully open to a complete shutdown. Administrators said the school is expecting to open at Level 3 — campus buildings are open and operational, but large numbers of classes will be online. Moving to Level 4 would see further restrictions, with only “skill” classes allowed to be taught in-person, while the last level would transfer all classes online in a repeat of the spring.

While a student death would trigger school closure at UT-Austin, no mention was made of what would happen if a staff or faculty member died from the coronavirus.

A week after publishing its reopening plans, a custodial service worker tested positive and died. Interim president Jay Hartzell said in a letter to the UT community that it was the university’s first death related to COVID-19.

Statistically, college students are less likely than other people to die from COVID-19. Earlier this summer, state officials pointed to people in their 20s as primary factors in the state’s soaring case numbers. Although nationally around 20% of people who have contracted the virus so far are between 18 and 29, people in that age group made up only 0.5% of deaths in the country, according to data from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

“From a medical standpoint, it's unlikely that someone in the age group of a student would actually die,” said Amy Young, the chief clinical officer for UT Health Austin.

But the messaging has prompted outspoken concern from students like Shelby Hobohm, a UT-Austin senior who said the university’s acknowledgement that students could die from campus exposure is reason enough to not have them return.

“I was shocked. ... I didn't think that was going to be said so openly,” Hobohm said. “If a student dies from reopening campus — these are completely preventable deaths. They’re not thinking critically about how the administration can protect people.”

Hobohm said she is leaning towards completely online classes — mirroring similar decisions from Harvard University and the University of California system — as the best option for her and her classmates. Otherwise, she worries about an explosion of cases midway through the semester.

UT-Austin is something of an outlier nationally for so clearly identifying benchmarks that would trigger another shutdown.

Chris Marsicano, a professor of higher education policy at North Carolina’s Davidson College who heads the newly formed College Crisis Initiative out of Davidson, is studying institutional response to the pandemic. He said he has not yet heard of a similar phased approach to shutting down from any other university.

The two other most populous institutions in the state, Texas A&M University and the University of Houston, have not released information on how officials would navigate another shutdown.

Marsicano called the list of triggers a “brilliant strategic move.” By publicly outlining the steps it would take to shut down, the UT-Austin plan creates an “accountability mechanism” that can potentially ward off campus closure, he said.

“What the administrators have done is, by writing down the triggers, they have provided an expectation, a contract, to any student who enrolls,” Marsicano said, adding that the university could be opening itself to lawsuits if it doesn’t follow its own policy.

Yet even as UT-Austin and most other large institutions push forward with reopening, a handful of smaller schools recently decided they won’t be taking the risk.

One of those is Paul Quinn College in Dallas, a historically Black institution that made the decision last week to offer online classes only, becoming one of the first colleges in the state to do so. That announcement was quickly echoed by Jarvis Christian College, another historically Black college near Longview; a third, Huston-Tillotson University in Austin, said in June it was going online.

Paul Quinn President Michael Sorrell said he made the choice after drawn-out consultation with experts. The school ultimately moved all classes online and slashed tuition by $2,000 for every student while promising Wi-Fi and laptops to those who need them.

But there will be a significant financial hit; Sorrell has already crunched the numbers and budgeted for a decrease in student enrollment.

“I'm not saying I've got a crystal ball that has told me that this isn't a risk. ... It's absolutely a risk. The difference is, it's also a risk bringing people back to a petri dish,” Sorrell said. “If you have sick students everywhere, ailing staff, and heaven forbid — someone dies? That just struck me as the worst option.”

22 hours ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

He really is a carpetbagger Land Shark and your points resonate. He's def Trump's man in Texas, makes one wonder though with Texas becoming more in play, how long Patrick can soothe the fears.

I really wish my guy, (D-17) had a shot at winning a seat in the House. He is big on getting rid of Citizens United and campaign finance reform.

Lt Dan is good at funneling money to himself from various sources.

Sorry for derailing, back to re-opening.....

You talking about Kennedy?  I agree.  The guy was tireless on the Zoom calls with his potential voters.  Defeating Sessions will be a big task, but his runoff with Swann forced him to go all in with Trump.    So hopefully the more disillusioned people are with Trump, the more they also turn their backs on those who worshiped him and his way of running this country.  

Yes, Kennedy. Bless his heart (not in the sarcastic way). The turnout in our area is solidly red and Sessions had signs everywhere. People here are very 'team' political and the idea of voting based on the best candidate sends their brains into frantic synapse overload.

It is one race I could definitely do more to help even if the outcome will probably be in favor of Sessions.

Louisiana is in terrible shape too.  2000+ new reported cases per day the last few days. 
Sadly, I’ve come to the conclusion many folks aren’t going to take this seriously until it personally impacts them but the lack of a new stay at home order doesn’t help either. 
Spot on. I'm in construction and have been fighting like hell to get my subcontractors to wear masks, stagger crews on houses, etc. Now two painters are positive and they are all freaking the fuck out. Wear your fucking mask and be smart.

Texas Supreme Court rejects challenge to Abbott’s pandemic powers

The Texas Supreme Court on Friday dismissed a petition from prominent conservatives who sought to overturn Gov. Greg Abbott’s emergency coronavirus orders as unconstitutional.

In Friday’s ruling, a unanimous Supreme Court said it lacked jurisdiction to consider the petition, which sought a court order compelling Abbott to abandon his mandates. State law, however, prevents courts from issuing such orders against the governor.

Lawyers for Texas Attorney General Ken Paxton, however, argued that the Legislature properly delegated power allowing Abbott to act in the state’s best interest during times of disaster, including the coronavirus pandemic.

Lawmakers gave the governor limited authority, under reasonable guidelines, to suspend laws and rules that impede the state’s ability to mitigate a rapidly unfolding disaster, Paxton’s lawyers told the court.

“The State’s interest in controlling the outbreak of disease and managing a public-health emergency is paramount, allowing for reasonable restrictions upon constitutional rights as the safety of the general public may demand,” Paxton’s lawyers said.

Sounds like the justices disagree with the Governor's orders, but state law says they can't do a damn thing about it. Womp womp.

Edited by relapse98

8 minutes ago, bolverk said:

They do note that they agree his order places "restrictions upon constitutional rights."

Really?

Well, it does.  Some of the rights are pretty basic and broad -- freedom of assembly, freedom to practice religion how you want, etc.   So, any order that limits gatherings and the like (as just one example) implicates a constitutional right.  

What so many people do not get is that constitutional rights are NOT completely and totally inviolable. I mean, everyone knows the "you can't yell fire in a crowded theater" exception to the first amendment.  That rationale applies across the board.  Narrowly tailored government action in an exercise of its police power to protect the public health and safety is not unconstitutional.

Edited by Brisketexan
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, Brisketexan said:

Well, it does.  Some of the rights are pretty basic and broad -- freedom of assembly, freedom to practice religion how you want, etc.   So, any order that limits gatherings and the like (as just one example) implicates a constitutional right.  

What so many people do not get is that constitutional rights are NOT completely and totally inviolable. I mean, every knows the "you can't yell fire in a crowded theater" exception to the first amendment.  That rationale applies across the board.  Narrowly tailored government action in an exercise of its police power to protect the public health and safety is not unconstitutional.

Well, I was thinking more about the mask issue. With that I guess, taken to its broadest interpretation, one could argue that requiring a mask would limit freedom of speech so I get your point.

43 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

I mean, everyone knows the "you can't yell fire in a crowded theater" exception to the first amendment.  That rationale applies across the board

Does it though?  Because the Rs have been screaming fire in a theater for 3.5 years and doesn't seem like anyone is doing shit about it.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Brisketexan said:

What so many people do not get is that constitutional rights are NOT completely and totally inviolable. I mean, everyone knows the "you can't yell fire in a crowded theater" exception to the first amendment.  That rationale applies across the board.  Narrowly tailored government action in an exercise of its police power to protect the public health and safety is not unconstitutional.

Serious question about the opposite of yelling fire. Can you be prohibited from yelling that there is no fire in a crowded theater engulfed in flames?

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Grade of D as in David said:

Serious question about the opposite of yelling fire. Can you be prohibited from yelling that there is no fire in a crowded theater engulfed in flames?

That's actually a good question.  I dunno, never really researched it.  I can certainly argue the point (and think it would be right) that speech that causes obvious and serious harm would not be protected.  For example, if you knew that the ice on a lake was dangerously thin, but kept telling people "go out there, the ice is 3 feet thick," I could get a court order to shut your ass up.  Which, yes, raises some interesting questions in these times.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

Clown show

Because, and let's be clear, in their minds, without ANY legal basis or authority, there are really only two sacrosanct Constitutional rights: the absolute right to do whatever you want in the name of religion, and the right to have and carry whatever kind of gun you want wherever you want.  No explanation as to why those two rights tower 10,000 feet above all others (sorry, 4th amendment -- NO SOUP FOR YOU!)......just the supremacy of Sweet Republican Jesus and Guns.  

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

Wow.... 174 fatalities.  This is awful.  Another 10kish positive cases with 4k backlogged.  Tons of tests but how many of those were backlogged?  Hospitalization pops back up.

Sooo, June 12, restaurants were opening at 75% capacity and by the end of June cases were spiking. End of June is around 3 weeks ago, correct? I think Fauci stated in one of his briefs that if the population spreading was younger then deaths might lag a little, three to four plus weeks. (Presumably because it would then spread from young to old).

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Because, and let's be clear, in their minds, without ANY legal basis or authority, there are really only two sacrosanct Constitutional rights: the absolute right to do whatever you want in the name of religion (as long as that religion is an acceptable  i.e. non-Muslim or any other sketch suspicious religion that they will "know it when they see it"), and the right to have and carry whatever kind of gun you want wherever you want.  No explanation as to why those two rights tower 10,000 feet above all others (sorry, 4th amendment -- NO SOUP FOR YOU!)......just the supremacy of Sweet Republican Jesus and Guns.  

FIFY

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Because, and let's be clear, in their minds, without ANY legal basis or authority, there are really only two sacrosanct Constitutional rights: the absolute right to do whatever you want in the name of religion, and the right to have and carry whatever kind of gun you want wherever you want.  No explanation as to why those two rights tower 10,000 feet above all others (sorry, 4th amendment -- NO SOUP FOR YOU!)......just the supremacy of Sweet Republican Jesus and Guns.  

Makes sense. History is littered with people killing in the name of a deity. Some of that is because of wealth and power, sure, but zeolatry abounds as well. And let's face it, at a base primal level, it can be satisfying to fantasize about righteously killing the wicked.

Fantasies about enforcing the right not have troops live with you are pretty meh by comparison.

3 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

Because, and let's be clear, in their minds, without ANY legal basis or authority, there are really only two sacrosanct Constitutional rights: the absolute right to do whatever you want in the name of WHITE PEOPLE'S JESUS, and the right to have and carry whatever kind of gun you want wherever you want.  No explanation as to why those two rights tower 10,000 feet above all others (sorry, 4th amendment -- NO SOUP FOR YOU!)......just the supremacy of Sweet Republican Jesus and Guns.  

5 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

That's actually a good question.  I dunno, never really researched it.  I can certainly argue the point (and think it would be right) that speech that causes obvious and serious harm would not be protected.  For example, if you knew that the ice on a lake was dangerously thin, but kept telling people "go out there, the ice is 3 feet thick," I could get a court order to shut your ass up.  Which, yes, raises some interesting questions in these times.

Yes. This was my whole point. 

8 hours ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

Sooo, June 12, restaurants were opening at 75% capacity and by the end of June cases were spiking. End of June is around 3 weeks ago, correct? I think Fauci stated in one of his briefs that if the population spreading was younger then deaths might lag a little, three to four plus weeks. (Presumably because it would then spread from young to old).

Maybe I’m misunderstanding what you are saying. Deaths lag by 3 to 4 weeks because that’s how long it takes to die and be reported.

Edited by justhookit

Apologies, I should have explained that a little better. Someone (too lazy to do the search) on this topic had mentioned that with Abbott rushing through the re-opening phases without waiting for data, a concern was that people would be timid at first but then as they began to see others out and about (especially with social media broadcasting pics far and wide) people would say 'screw this', and toss caution to the winds. IIRC, it was about the time of the 75% capacity phase. So I guess I was adding my support that it does seem to be proving true? It wasn't just one person that thought things were progressing too quickly, but the anecdotal accounts of traffic picking up, bar scenes, etc. We are very bad at being patient because we cannot seem to look three weeks out and say, "wait a minute, let's go a little slower." That 3-4 weeks is here now and we're like, "oops." We were warned about always being behind the virus and yet here we are.

Fauci's light switch analogy was very apt. Can't just flip a switch.

I'm not bringing anything new to the conversation, mostly just banging a drum. Or cymbals.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, 4th&Five said:

Meanwhile, Cornyn isn’t sure kids can spread it. 

Quick glance at that headline and I thought “That sounds about right. It’s awful but Texas is a big state.” Then, the county part registered. 👀😳😒

Corpus Christi is really taking the corpus part of its name seriously.

47 minutes ago, bolverk said:

Quick glance at that headline and I thought “That sounds about right. It’s awful but Texas is a big state.” Then, the county part registered. 👀😳😒

Corpus Christi is really taking the corpus part of its name seriously.

And everybody keeps going to Nueces County beaches, further spreading their ick, because... fuck if I know.