PlayStation 5

MillerEP

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah, the footage starting around the 7:30 mark is bonkers. 

Here's the same footage on Vimeo which I understand doesn't compress the file as much as YouTube. Full 4k experience.

I think its safe to say that this surpasses a lot of the expectations.

I only managed to get half way through the Mark Cerny vid.  It sounds like they were focusing on the important things when designing the new box.  The new Unreal engine looks amazing.  Technology (both hardware and software) have come a looooong way since Pong.

Edited by bernorange
  • Like 1

Obligatory: https://www.theverge.com/21256299/epic-ceo-tim-sweeney-sony-ps5-ssd-impressive-pc-gaming-future-next-gen

"The storage architecture on the PS5 is far ahead of anything you can buy on anything on PC for any amount of money right now. It’s going to help drive future PCs. [The PC market is] going to see this thing ship and say, ‘Oh wow, SSDs are going to need to catch up with this."

• 2 weeks later...

I read a report last night about the PS5 and really liked what I saw.  I should have bookmarked it as I can't find it right now, but some things it mentioned that I remember:

- It will be backwards compatible with PS4.  PS4 games will run faster on the PS5 (minimal loading screen times).

- Can handle 4K 120hz video.  Can also handle 8K tv supposedly.

- PS5 controllers have variable resistance triggers (L2/R2).  Games can control how much resistance the triggers exert (presumably across the trigger pull) to provide more tactile experience with different simulated actions (like drawing a bow, pressing gas/brake pedals, etc.)

- PS5 controllers have built in mics so you don't need headset to participate in game/party chats.  I'm not sure how this is going to work.  Open mics tend to have feedback if they catch audio from the TV/monitor.  Also, can they be turned off or is it going to be another Alexa always listening/recording type of thing?

Edit:  Also, has custom built chips.  One is a ray tracing chip that also helps PS5 with 3D audio.  Going to need to set it up with a surround sound system I guess.

Edited by bernorange

Destruction Allstars and Deathloop look like crazy fun.

48 minutes ago, Michael Knight said:

consider me whelmed, all those games looked like they could be on PS4. We'll see if there is any actual improvement to gameplay

Look for the games that are PS5 exclusives to maximize the PS5 capabilities.  Devs won't be held back by concerns for cross platform development.

I’m going to get my son a gaming console for his birthday. Will it be worth waiting for the PS5 to come out or will a PS4 be good enough? We dont have any 4K TVs, so we won’t be taking advantage of that feature. Thanks.

1 hour ago, Hate said:

I’m going to get my son a gaming console for his birthday. Will it be worth waiting for the PS5 to come out or will a PS4 be good enough? We dont have any 4K TVs, so we won’t be taking advantage of that feature. Thanks.

If the past as any indication, they'll still release games on both PS4 and PS5 for about a year and then slowly phase out the big AAA titles to PS5 only, with only smaller studios doing PS4 and 5. The PS5 will be backwards compatable for all PS4 games, so if money isn't an issue I'd just get the newer one, it'll last you a lot longer.

• Like 1

If the past as any indication, they'll still release games on both PS4 and PS5 for about a year and then slowly phase out the big AAA titles to PS5 only, with only smaller studios doing PS4 and 5. The PS5 will be backwards compatable for all PS4 games, so if money isn't an issue I'd just get the newer one, it'll last you a lot longer.

Thanks. That’s what I figured. How easily will they be available in November? I haven’t had a game console in my house since the original PlayStation so I have no idea how easily I can get one for Christmas since my son’s birthday is in August.

15 minutes ago, Hate said:

Thanks. That’s what I figured. How easily will they be available in November? I haven’t had a game console in my house since the original PlayStation so I have no idea how easily I can get one for Christmas since my son’s birthday is in August.

You'll likely want to be ordering the day ordering starts through any retail partner. New consoles typically go pretty fast and you want to be sure. Like what exact day and time...and that's when I would (will)  be on the computer. My birthday is in August too...and you could tell me happy birthday coming in November...and Merry Christmas...and I would be doing cartwheels knowing it's a PS5.

• Like 1

Thanks for the info guys. I will make sure to pre-order.

And maybe this is not the right place to ask this question since it is a PlayStation thread, but how will the newest Xbox compare to the PS? Like I mentioned, I’ve been out if the console game for more than 20 years so I want to make sure I choose wisely at $500. Thanks again all for the help.

1 hour ago, Hate said:

Thanks for the info guys. I will make sure to pre-order.

And maybe this is not the right place to ask this question since it is a PlayStation thread, but how will the newest Xbox compare to the PS? Like I mentioned, I’ve been out if the console game for more than 20 years so I want to make sure I choose wisely at $500. Thanks again all for the help.

They'll both come out around the same time. Here is the breakdown as we understand it:

l22etagvkgn41.png

• Like 2

That difference in memory bandwidth is hard to interpret.  PS5 I/O throughput is *only* roughly twice the speed of the XBOX.  This is what Cerny was talking about in the video presentation posted earlier in the thread.  No more loading screens.  No more (or at least, much less) artificial limitations on game design.  I wonder how the XBOX controllers will compare to the new PS5 controllers.

Edited by bernorange

21 hours ago, Michael Knight said:

consider me whelmed, all those games looked like they could be on PS4. We'll see if there is any actual improvement to gameplay

Did you catch this footage from up thread? I don't disagree with your above take, but I don't think these new trailers are really utilizing the full potential. 

On 5/14/2020 at 1:50 PM, Foosters said:

Yeah, the footage starting around the 7:30 mark is bonkers. 

Here's the same footage on Vimeo which I understand doesn't compress the file as much as YouTube. Full 4k experience.

I think its safe to say that this surpasses a lot of the expectations.