PlayStation 5

MillerEP

How is the PS5  IO twice as fast as the Xbox?  I think a lot of people, especially console gamers who have never experienced an SSD in an OEM console, significantly underestimate the overall impact an SSD has on the overall gaming experience.  

It's apparently not just an SSD. It's some proprietary variant of SSD they've developed. I am not familiar enough with it to know the differences but that's why it's so fast and also why it's a sort of off the wall amount and not just one terabyte.

42 minutes ago, Hawndoh said:

It's apparently not just an SSD....

Yeah, in that 1hour vid posted early in the thread, Cerny talks about how they worked with hardware people to develop new tech to remove bottlenecks in the whole system to ensure the computer hardware could receive (and process) the data as fast as the SSD could send it.  At least, that's my layman's interpretation of what he was saying.  He said the PS5 I/O tech surpasses what you can find for PCs right now.

3 hours ago, bernorange said:

Sony has not released price info yet.  Undercutting xbox at ps4 launch worked great last go 'round.  Hope they do it again.

Hell, either one of them hitting that estimated (I thought it was official, but I was just seeing TechRadar quoting analysts) price point is a pretty great deal.   Gran Turismo isn't on the Xbox though, so...

• 1 month later...

I was all in on the XBox Series X, mostly because of Halo:Infinite. But I was pretty underwhelmed with their show this past Thursday. Not enough gameplay showed off, mostly cinematic trailers. 

I’ve been looking at the PS5 and watched their most recent game exhibition and I’ve pretty much switched to a PS5 at launch. The games just look like more fun. Plus that controller I think is gonna be really badass. 

It’ll be a change for me since I’ve been a mostly XBoxer, though I had the original PlayStation back in the day. I’m so stoked to preorder one. 

I'll get a PS5 because every Xbox game worth anything will be on PC and probably also Game pass. So I'll just play them on PC if there is something that looks good.

This is my call as well. My PC can handle the Microsoft Exclusive games, so the PS5 will be my next-gen console.

• 1 month later...

On Sony's new PS5 sign-up page, the company is taking pre-order reservations on a first-come, first-served basis from "existing customers." According to the PS5 pre-order FAQ page, the selection is "based on previous interests and PlayStation activities," and you'll know if you're selected if you are contacted via email. It did not specify if those activities relate to game playtime, purchases, or some other metric.
... Pre-orders will be limited to one console per PSN ID. ...
It sounds like, at least for the initial round of pre-orders, console pre-orders will be limited to those invited to pre-order from PlayStation Direct, so you'll want to register with your PSN ID as soon as possible. Other PS5 products, like the controller and headset, will be "open to the general public," but the page doesn't say when or whether the PS5 console will eventually be available at third-party retailers. ...

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/ps5-pre-order-registration-is-open-but-the-first-r/1100-6475811/

If you have a PSN id, you can enter the pre-order lottery here:

https://www.playstation.com/en-us/campaigns/2020/ps5-direct-pre-orders/

18 hours ago, bernorange said:

Did you enter your PSN ID at the link referenced above to get the email, or did they just put you on the list anyway?  I have not gotten any email (yet?) offering a pre-order.

Yeah, I got an email asking me to verify my PSN ID, and it sent me to that screen.

Edit: I went back through my old mail and found it, I received it on Aug 26th.

Edited by MillerEP

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, bernorange said:

I saw something on the news claiming that they were only going to have 11,000,000 units to sell instead of a planned 15,000,000 because of supply chain problems with some part(s).

I saw that too but then I saw another article saying that Sony denied those claims. We'll see I guess.

Yeah I tried pre ordering on Best Buy and only got as far as the checkout page and was on there for like 2 hours clicking on the Continue to Payment button until being told they had already sold out. Apparently it's happened at all the other big box stores as well. Walmart will reopen up again on the 22nd(or will they do it earlier?) and Amazon doesn't even have an opportunity to preorder yet.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, FunkSoulBrother said:

Yeah I tried pre ordering on Best Buy and only got as far as the checkout page and was on there for like 2 hours clicking on the Continue to Payment button until being told they had already sold out. Apparently it's happened at all the other big box stores as well. Walmart will reopen up again on the 22nd(or will they do it earlier?) and Amazon doesn't even have an opportunity to preorder yet.

Keep going on the Best Buy, man. I just got mine done. Took about 3 hours, but I got it completed and got the confirmation. And yeah, some bullshit by the retailers. So much for those signups.

I just looked around (Best Buy, Walmart, Target, Gamestop, Amazon).  Sold out everywhere.  No options to add to a shopping cart for pre-order.  Lots of angry comments on the amazon.com PS5 page.  I get the feeling that Sony limited the stock of pre-orders to ensure they would have units to deliver retailers for walk in sales (Black Friday madness).  What a mess.

5 hours ago, LonghornJudas said:

Keep going on the Best Buy, man. I just got mine done. Took about 3 hours, but I got it completed and got the confirmation. And yeah, some bullshit by the retailers. So much for those signups.

I did give it a second round a couple hours later with Best Buy and got as far as the Review and Place Order only for it to get timed out after clicking the button every minute and I got same results saying "System temporarily not working" to all of a sudden being sold out and not in my cart anymore. So FRUSTRATING!

Supposedly Amazon had a link available for preorders for like 15 minutes before being sold out.

I plan on preordering both PS5 and Xbox Series X. I'm hoping the latter won't be as bad for preordering.

• 1 year later...

This is welcome news, I love GamePass:

https://www.ign.com/articles/playstation-xbox-game-pass-competitor-spartacus-ps2-ps5

PlayStation Is Reportedly Working on an Xbox Game Pass Competitor
PlayStation Now will be phased out in favor of this new service.

By Matt Kim
Updated: 3 Dec 2021 11:50 am
Posted: 3 Dec 2021 11:40 am

Sony is working on a competing Xbox Game Pass service for PlayStation according to a new report.

Bloomberg says sources familiar with Sony’s plans shared details of a new service code named “Spartacus” where PlayStation owners can pay a monthly fee for access to a library of modern and classic games. This is the same model used for Xbox’s popular Game Pass service.

Documents on the project revealed three tiers for the upcoming service. The first includes the same benefits as PlayStation Plus, which is required for online gaming and comes with some free games each month. A higher tier offers access to the gaming catalog like Game Pass, and a third tier will include extended demos, game streaming, and access to a larger library that includes PS1, PS2, PS3, and PSP games.

Given that backward compatibility has been a popular request from PlayStation owners, using a new service to introduce older games to the library could be an enticing move.

The new service is expected to launch in spring 2022 and will merge Sony’s two existing subscription services PlayStation Plus and PlayStation Now — a cloud service that lets users stream games directly to their consoles. According to Bloomberg, the PlayStation Plus name will remain, but PlayStation Now will be phased out as a brand.

Despite beating competitors like Stadia to the market, PlayStation Now has failed to catch on as core PlayStation subscription service, though the company has recently taken steps to add major releases like God of War and The Last of Us 2.

It’s plain to see why PlayStation wants to get in on a service similar to Game Pass. Xbox’s subscription service has been a huge hit for the company and has over 18 million subscribers as of January 2021.

Alongside access to a library of games, Xbox Game Pass also offers users day-one access to first-party Xbox games like Forza Horizon 5 and Halo Infinite. Future titles like Starfield from Bethesda are also coming to Game Pass. Xbox offers Game Pass subscriptions for $10 a month or $15 a month for the Ultimate tier which includes Game Pass for both console and PC plus cloud streaming.

IGN has reached out to PlayStation for comment.

• 2 years later...

This has probably been discussed, but I can't find it. I think the answer is no, but wanted to check. We got a PS5 recently, and I created a PSN ID using my email and then selected an ID (ousucks123). The kid has been playing Fortnite and Madden using my account. I created him a child account, but can I move the id (ousucks123) to his account so he doesn't have to start over and lose progress and shit?  Note: ousucks123 is a placeholder name and was obviously already taken.

31 minutes ago, CBT said:

... I created him a child account, but can I move the id (ousucks123) to his account so he doesn't have to start over and lose progress and shit? ...

Last I knew, the answer was NO.  

• Hook 'Em 1