comic book covers

Onboard 2.0

Had a relative die a couple years back. I grew up with his sons, my cousins, and we read all these comics cover to cover countless times.  They just had an estate sale walk thru and I grabbed these along with lots of old tools he'd acquired over the years.

Batman, Superman, Iron man, Avengers, Thor.....

War comics, Weird War, and Sgt. Rock were my favorites. One of my cousins pilfered thru the Stack, and took all the Sgt. Rock, and the rest of the Weird War (other than the one here shown without its cover, but the illustrations, and composition were amazing in that series),  JEB Stuart and The Haunted Tank is part of THE BIG G.I. COMBAT comic. Jeb looking over the boys shoulders during WWII in a Sherman tank.

Threw in a couple old ads that were typical comic book fare. 

Anyone remember Plop ?  I know we read a few of them, but not really remebering much about 'em.  Very poor mans MAD or Cracked ??

I love comic book art. I think it led to my fascination and collection of old advertising posters; travel, sports, food and drink, cars, planes, motorcycles, skiing, etc.

I've got enough of these old comic books I may cover a wall in the man cave as wall paper sort of, but designed such that you could take one down off the wall, and read it.

IMG_8258.jpg

IMG_8256.jpg

IMG_8272.jpg

IMG_8264.jpg

IMG_8279.jpg

IMG_8253.jpg

IMG_8255.jpg

IMG_8257.jpg

IMG_8260.jpg

IMG_8273.jpg

IMG_8254.jpg

IMG_8266.jpg

IMG_8278.jpg

IMG_8265.jpg

IMG_8276.jpg

IMG_8277.jpg

Edited by Onboard 2.0
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

Looks like you've got some good ones.  I've been collecting comics since I was a kid.  Spiderman and X-Men and X-titles.  Have a good bit of the first 50 issues of Amazing Spiderman.  Sucks the comic industry is shutdown currently.  Other notable issues I have I can think of off top of my head are Amazing Spiderman #300 ( 1st Venom ), New Mutants #98 ( 1st Deadpool ), entire Dark Phoenix saga, Uncanny X-Men #4 ( 1st brotherhood w/ 2nd Magneto ), Amazing Spiderman #6 and #13 ( 1st Lizard and 1st Mysterio ).

Edited by Elmer_Fudd

On 4/28/2020 at 5:50 PM, Elmer_Fudd said:

Looks like you've got some good ones.  I've been collecting comics since I was a kid.  Spiderman and X-Men and X-titles.  Have a good bit of the first 50 issues of Amazing Spiderman.  Sucks the comic industry is shutdown currently.  Other notable issues I have I can think of off top of my head are Amazing Spiderman #300 ( 1st Venom ), New Mutants #98 ( 1st Deadpool ), entire Dark Phoenix saga, Uncanny X-Men #4 ( 1st brotherhood w/ 2nd Magneto ), Amazing Spiderman #6 and #13 ( 1st Lizard and 1st Mysterio ).

None of them are in collector shape. They were read over and over and over. The illustration art has always appealed to me. The colors, the dramatic  compositions  mixed with text.

We liked the war comics best.  Sgt. Rock,  Sgt. Fury, Ghost tank, Weird War, GI Tales,  but read all of them.

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/1/2020 at 4:28 PM, Onboard 2.0 said:

None of them are in collector shape. They were read over and over and over. The illustration art has always appealed to me. The colors, the dramatic  compositions  mixed with text.

We liked the war comics best.  Sgt. Rock,  Sgt. Fury, Ghost tank, Weird War, GI Tales,  but read all of them.

I have a decent collection of Weird War Tales, Creature Commandos,  etc., and loved all of those weird WWII mashups.  There's a few collected editions that are up on Amazon if you poke around, but unfortunately some are like this selection of Creature Commandos where it's 20-25 comics/stories collected from the main run.    

It's on my list of things to eventually do - track down all of the G. I. Combat with the Haunted Tank stories, etc.  I really fucked up - I should have picked these up back in the '90s when they were cheap ($0.50 - $1 or so).  I used to see tons of them in comic book stores from kids/parents who were dumping comic books from 15-20 years earlier.

8 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

I have a decent collection of Weird War Tales, Creature Commandos,  etc., and loved all of those weird WWII mashups.  There's a few collected editions that are up on Amazon if you poke around, but unfortunately some are like this selection of Creature Commandos where it's 20-25 comics/stories collected from the main run.    

It's on my list of things to eventually do - track down all of the G. I. Combat with the Haunted Tank stories, etc.  I really fucked up - I should have picked these up back in the '90s when they were cheap ($0.50 - $1 or so).  I used to see tons of them in comic book stores from kids/parents who were dumping comic books from 15-20 years earlier.

Yep loved the war comics best. I can't even remember how many times I've read through these as a kid.  The art work was my favorite part I think.  

Those illustrators had to be having a fucking blast getting paid  to illustrate those stories. 

I'd imagine the market for pistine copies has gotten a bit more than  $.50 a copy.

the house I'm designing will have a basement wall that's just for these to be displayed in all their tattered glory.

• 7 months later...
1 hour ago, Coach pop a bitch said:

Just started reading comics. Started with the donnie cates venom (love it) something is killing the children has been awesome.

loving crossover 

download.jpeg

I've got the Donny Cates Venom run as well.  Definately loving it.  Have you started "King in Black" yet?  I'd love to see Cates write a dark/gritty Wolverine, but I've read he may be rumored to want to go to DC and take Batman if/when possible.

10 hours ago, Coach pop a bitch said:

Haven't started king in black yet but am debating buying the 1:50 cassara variant kib#2 (not sure if it's a good buy cuz I'm new to this comic thing) But as soon as I finish up venom I plan to start.

I forgot to add KIB to my pull list at my local shop so I had to get them online.

I got the Tyler Kirkham cover for #1 and purchased the Jerome Opena cover for #2 yesterday.

Knull_Tales_1_Kirkham_trade.jpg

King_In_Black_2_Opena_Trade.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
10 hours ago, Coach pop a bitch said:

Heros and fantasies for got to put this on my pull list after I asked twice had to order it through eBay for $30 

AMAZING-SPIDER-MAN-55-2020-Gleason-Cover-A-Marvel.jpg

Dang ASM is on my pull list I didn't know this issue had already jumped up in price.  I haven't been to my LCS in a few weeks so I haven't gotten to it yet.

I also ordered the Bagley variant for issue #54 on Dec. 8th and it's just now arriving today.

oct200578__68784.1607539361.jpg

2 minutes ago, ultimaton said:

Right on, I got the Sienkiewicz one

spacer.png

Man I was debating which one to get.  Sienkiewicz putting in the classic villains like Bloodscream and Roughouse, but it was hard to pass up the cover with old school Sabretooth, Maverick, and blue/yellow Wolverine.

• Hook 'Em 1

@Onboard 2.0  just saw this, those are really cool.  Kind of jealous, wish I could stumble onto an old stash.

I was a pretty big Marvel collector as a kid.  During a move I somehow lost them, or they were stolen by the movers.

My daughter had an interest awhile back so I took her to a local shop.  They had a reproduction of the first comic featuring Wolverine.  I actually owned this comic (and I understand it is ultra valuable now), so I nerded out and bought it.

IMG_6329.jpg.f5033d2db2e01b5ee2e93730e91843fb.jpg

And my favorite character was Silver Surfer, so I went ultra nerd and bought this

IMG_6330.jpg.a2531bd5c15bbd164e6a9b6a37f58bf4.jpg

2 minutes ago, Mach 1 said:

@Onboard 2.0  just saw this, those are really cool.  Kind of jealous, wish I could stumble onto an old stash.

I was a pretty big Marvel collector as a kid.  During a move I somehow lost them, or they were stolen by the movers.

My daughter had an interest awhile back so I took her to a local shop.  They had a reproduction of the first comic featuring Wolverine.  I actually owned this comic (and I understand it is ultra valuable now), so I nerded out and bought it.

IMG_6329.jpg.f5033d2db2e01b5ee2e93730e91843fb.jpg

And my favorite character was Silver Surfer, so I went ultra nerd and bought this

IMG_6330.jpg.a2531bd5c15bbd164e6a9b6a37f58bf4.jpg

Love comic book art. It's such a great mix of colors, action, and text.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...