Grad Transfer WR Tarik Black

Black is a talented outside WR who has had injury issues. If he stays healthy, he provides a very good addition to our WR corps. Look for this experienced route runner to move the chains by providing strong hands. Oh and he’s smart enough to matriculate at UT in graduate studies. $10, bitches.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Scholz said:

Black is a talented outside WR who has had injury issues. If he stays healthy, he provides a very good addition to our WR corps. Look for this experienced route runner to move the chains by providing strong hands. Oh and he’s smart enough to matriculate at UT in graduate studies. $10, bitches.

*edition

• Haha 1

You guys just got a good one in Tarik Black. Has had injury issues (broke both feet in different injuries back to back summers)  but is a total stud. Will be rooting for him wearing the burnt orange this year. Having an actual QB to throw him the ball instead of Shea Patterson is going to do wonders for him. 

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, ImissWallyPryor said:

You haven’t been around the Surly masterminds long enough.

I don't venture in to the recruiting section too much. I was pretty disappointed that both Black and DPJ left after last year. I was hoping having McCaffery throwing them the ball would be enough of an upgrade to convince them to stay. Instead one transferred out and the other went in the 6th round.. The #SheaDifference. 

I don't know enough about UT WRs but based on Black's talent I would expect him to be a day 1 starter on every team that isn't O$U, Bama or Clemson. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, markstanco said:
12 hours ago, Rickylovesweed said:
Do you think the 3rd or 4th option at WR puts up 1000 yards a year? OU's #3 WR last year had 330 yards receiving. Texas didn't add Black to be an All-American WR. 
Also, OU just added a grad transfer WR that had 88, 594, and and 677 yards receiving at UCLA in 3 years. Why are you using OU as an example when by your own logic Theo Howard is awful?
Jesus fucking christ you're a moron. 

Read more  

My ENTIRE point was it was another person in the WR room. Getting excited about a kid who played 3 years for Michigan and did very little. He was a john burt for them with less yards.

fewer.

• Like 1

ESPN is reporting 2 years of eligibility remaining. Based on the fact he was able to redshirt in 2017 (some ambiguity about medical or retroactively using the under 4 games rule), that seems correct. Harbaugh is quoted here as saying the under 4 game redshirt technique was used, while medical redshirt has been quoted elsewhere.

Edit to add: ESPN was paraphrasing this Instagram post

Edited by Ricky's one-hitter

3 hours ago, Juicy said:

You guys just got a good one in Tarik Black. Has had injury issues (broke both feet in different injuries back to back summers)  but is a total stud. Will be rooting for him wearing the burnt orange this year. Having an actual QB to throw him the ball instead of Shea Patterson is going to do wonders for him. 

Appreciate the input! Will he have 2 years with us?

Just now, texifornia said:

If he decides to apply for a medical hardship after his first year, he should be able to get a second year.

The NCAA makes no mention of when the hardship waiver should be applied for that I can find. 

Spoiler

12.8.4 Hardship Waiver. A student-athlete may be granted an additional year of competition by the conference or the Committee on Student-Athlete Reinstatement for reasons of "hardship." Hardship is defined as an incapacity resulting from an injury or illness that has occurred under all of the following conditions: (Revised: 1/10/92 effective 8/1/92, 1/14/97, 8/1/97, 4/26/01 effective 8/1/01, 11/1/01, 4/3/02, 8/8/02, 3/10/04, 5/11/05, 9/18/07, 11/1/07 effective 8/1/08, 4/24/08, 7/31/14)

(a) The incapacitating injury or illness occurs in one of the four seasons of intercollegiate competition at any two-year or four-year collegiate institutions or occurs after the first day of classes in the student-athlete's senior year in high school;

(b) The injury or illness occurs prior to the first competition of the second half of the playing season that concludes with the NCAA championship in that sport (see Bylaw 12.8.4.2.4) and results in incapacity to compete for the remainder of that playing season;

(c) In team sports, the injury or illness occurs when the student-athlete has not participated in more than three contests or dates of competition (whichever is applicable to that sport) or 30 percent (whichever number is greater) of the institution's scheduled or completed contests or dates of competition in his or her sport. Only scheduled or completed competition against outside participants during the playing season that concludes with the NCAA championship, or, if so designated, during the official NCAA championship playing season in that sport (e.g., spring baseball, fall soccer), shall be countable under this limitation in calculating both the number of contests or dates of competition in which the student-athlete has participated and the number of scheduled or completed contests or dates of competition during that season in the sport. Dates of competition that are exempted (e.g., alumni contests, foreign team in the United States) from the maximum permissible number of contests or dates of competition shall count toward the number of contests or dates in which the student-athlete has participated and the number of scheduled or completed contests or dates of competition in the season, except for scrimmages and exhibition contests that are specifically identified as such in the sport's Bylaw 17 playing and practice season regulations. Scrimmages and exhibition contests that are not exempted from the maximum permissible number of contests or dates of competition may be excluded from the calculation only if they are identified as such in the sport's Bylaw 17 playing and practice season regulations; and

(d) In individual sports, the injury or illness occurs when the student-athlete has not participated in more than three dates of competition or 30 percent (whichever number is greater) of the maximum permissible number of dates of competition as set forth in Bylaw 17 plus one date for a conference championship (e.g., gymnastics: 13+1=14, wrestling: 16+1=17), regardless of whether the team participates in the conference championship, provided the institution is a member of a conference and the conference holds a championship event in the applicable sport. Dates of competition that are exempted per Bylaw 17 (e.g., alumni contests, foreign team in the United States) from the maximum permissible number of dates of competition do not count toward the number of dates in which the student-athlete has participated.

12.8.4.1 Administration of Hardship Waiver. The hardship waiver shall be administered by the member conferences of the Association or, in the case of an independent member institution, by the Committee on Student-Athlete Reinstatement. (Revised: 10/28/04, 4/20/09, 7/31/14)

12.8.4.1.1 Review of Denied Waiver. A conference that denies an institution's hardship waiver may submit the waiver to the Committee on Student-Athlete Reinstatement. The committee shall have the authority to review and determine whether to approve the waiver based on circumstances that may warrant relief from the application of the legislated waiver criteria. (Adopted: 4/20/09, Revised: 7/31/14)

12.8.4.2 Criteria for Administration of Hardship Waiver.

12.8.4.2.1 Use of Scheduled or Completed Contests. An institution may use scheduled or completed contests or dates of competition, but it is not permissible to combine the two methods of calculation. (Adopted: 8/4/05, Revised: 7/31/14)

12.8.4.2.2 Nature of Injury/Illness. It is not necessary for the incapacitating injury or illness to be the direct result of the student's participation in the institution's organized practice or game competition. (Revised: 11/1/01, 7/31/14)

12.8.4.2.3 Medical Documentation. Contemporaneous or other appropriate medical documentation, from a physician (a medical doctor) who administered care at the time of the injury or illness, that establishes the student-athlete's inability to compete as a result of that injury or illness shall be submitted with any hardship-waiver request. (Adopted: 4/20/99, Revised: 2/22/01, 7/31/14)

Harbaugh's quotes saying he was able to use the new redshirt rule I believe are inaccurate. He appears to conflate the 4 games with 30% of the season max referenced by the NCAA for the hardship rule. That said, it appears to me that he has used a hardship waiver to redshirt one of his 3 seasons in Michigan which would give him 2 to play 2. 

30 minutes ago, CL Horn said:

Appreciate the input! Will he have 2 years with us?

it seems like a lot of people have attempted answering this, but before the transfer everyone up here was hoping that he returned for 1 more year so that is what I thought.

1 hour ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

ESPN is reporting 2 years of eligibility remaining. Based on the fact he was able to redshirt in 2017 (some ambiguity about medical or retroactively using the under 4 games rule), that seems correct. Harbaugh is quoted here as saying the under 4 game redshirt technique was used, while medical redshirt has been quoted elsewhere.

Edit to add: ESPN was paraphrasing this Instagram post

4 games RS rule didn’t exist in 2017, so it would have to be a medical RS. I thought a player was required to wait til they exhaust set their other eligibility before applying but maybe that rule changed. I don’t care enough to look up the current rule. Either way, he has a pretty straight forward case for a medical RS and will very likely get it, so realistically, he has two years left. 

2 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

4 games RS rule didn’t exist in 2017, so it would have to be a medical RS.

Harbaugh's quotes saying he was able to use the new redshirt rule I believe are inaccurate. He appears to conflate the 4 games with 30% of the season max referenced by the NCAA for the hardship rule

2 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

I don’t care enough to look up the current rule

The NCAA makes no mention of when the hardship waiver should be applied for that I can find. 

Hide contents

12.8.4 Hardship Waiver. A student-athlete may be granted an additional year of competition by the conference or the Committee on Student-Athlete Reinstatement for reasons of "hardship." Hardship is defined as an incapacity resulting from an injury or illness that has occurred under all of the following conditions: (Revised: 1/10/92 effective 8/1/92, 1/14/97, 8/1/97, 4/26/01 effective 8/1/01, 11/1/01, 4/3/02, 8/8/02, 3/10/04, 5/11/05, 9/18/07, 11/1/07 effective 8/1/08, 4/24/08, 7/31/14)

(a) The incapacitating injury or illness occurs in one of the four seasons of intercollegiate competition at any two-year or four-year collegiate institutions or occurs after the first day of classes in the student-athlete's senior year in high school;

(b) The injury or illness occurs prior to the first competition of the second half of the playing season that concludes with the NCAA championship in that sport (see Bylaw 12.8.4.2.4) and results in incapacity to compete for the remainder of that playing season;

(c) In team sports, the injury or illness occurs when the student-athlete has not participated in more than three contests or dates of competition (whichever is applicable to that sport) or 30 percent (whichever number is greater) of the institution's scheduled or completed contests or dates of competition in his or her sport. Only scheduled or completed competition against outside participants during the playing season that concludes with the NCAA championship, or, if so designated, during the official NCAA championship playing season in that sport (e.g., spring baseball, fall soccer), shall be countable under this limitation in calculating both the number of contests or dates of competition in which the student-athlete has participated and the number of scheduled or completed contests or dates of competition during that season in the sport. Dates of competition that are exempted (e.g., alumni contests, foreign team in the United States) from the maximum permissible number of contests or dates of competition shall count toward the number of contests or dates in which the student-athlete has participated and the number of scheduled or completed contests or dates of competition in the season, except for scrimmages and exhibition contests that are specifically identified as such in the sport's Bylaw 17 playing and practice season regulations. Scrimmages and exhibition contests that are not exempted from the maximum permissible number of contests or dates of competition may be excluded from the calculation only if they are identified as such in the sport's Bylaw 17 playing and practice season regulations; and

(d) In individual sports, the injury or illness occurs when the student-athlete has not participated in more than three dates of competition or 30 percent (whichever number is greater) of the maximum permissible number of dates of competition as set forth in Bylaw 17 plus one date for a conference championship (e.g., gymnastics: 13+1=14, wrestling: 16+1=17), regardless of whether the team participates in the conference championship, provided the institution is a member of a conference and the conference holds a championship event in the applicable sport. Dates of competition that are exempted per Bylaw 17 (e.g., alumni contests, foreign team in the United States) from the maximum permissible number of dates of competition do not count toward the number of dates in which the student-athlete has participated.

12.8.4.1 Administration of Hardship Waiver. The hardship waiver shall be administered by the member conferences of the Association or, in the case of an independent member institution, by the Committee on Student-Athlete Reinstatement. (Revised: 10/28/04, 4/20/09, 7/31/14)

12.8.4.1.1 Review of Denied Waiver. A conference that denies an institution's hardship waiver may submit the waiver to the Committee on Student-Athlete Reinstatement. The committee shall have the authority to review and determine whether to approve the waiver based on circumstances that may warrant relief from the application of the legislated waiver criteria. (Adopted: 4/20/09, Revised: 7/31/14)

12.8.4.2 Criteria for Administration of Hardship Waiver.

12.8.4.2.1 Use of Scheduled or Completed Contests. An institution may use scheduled or completed contests or dates of competition, but it is not permissible to combine the two methods of calculation. (Adopted: 8/4/05, Revised: 7/31/14)

12.8.4.2.2 Nature of Injury/Illness. It is not necessary for the incapacitating injury or illness to be the direct result of the student's participation in the institution's organized practice or game competition. (Revised: 11/1/01, 7/31/14)

12.8.4.2.3 Medical Documentation. Contemporaneous or other appropriate medical documentation, from a physician (a medical doctor) who administered care at the time of the injury or illness, that establishes the student-athlete's inability to compete as a result of that injury or illness shall be submitted with any hardship-waiver request. (Adopted: 4/20/99, Revised: 2/22/01, 7/31/14)

On 4/28/2020 at 9:13 PM, Casual Encounter said:

I’d love to know what markstanco has accomplished in his life.

Being the worst poster on Surly is a kind of accomplishment. And then there's the public service aspect to consider: no telling how many people he inspired to learn more about the Ignore feature.

Edited by Degenerate Gardner
  • Like 1

Because I think this is a meh pick up? This guy has 40 yards a game and clemson, Alabama, or even utah state didnt care about him. Hopefully he will be good on special teams.
  • Fuck You 2

1 minute ago, markstanco said:
On 4/28/2020 at 11:13 PM, Casual Encounter said:

Because I think this is a meh pick up? This guy has 40 yards a game and clemson, Alabama, or even utah state didnt care about him. Hopefully he will be good on special teams.

Why do you keep saying this? When Black announced his intention to transfer coaches from all over the country started following him on twitter. He was one of the biggest names on the transfer market. 

We were far from the only school that wanted Black. 

5 minutes ago, markstanco said:

On Twitter they started following? I didn't know that. My bad.

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/tarik-black-1.html

Last year 11 games with 25 catches and 323 yards. 1 td. I would kill for him to get 400 yards next year. That would be spectacular.

This is almost as dumb as your Van Fillinger rant which is kind of remarkable. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, markstanco said:

On Twitter they started following? I didn't know that. My bad.

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/tarik-black-1.html

Last year 11 games with 25 catches and 323 yards. 1 td. I would kill for him to get 400 yards next year. That would be spectacular.

Our resident Michigan fan(Juicy) gave his opinion after watching Tarik in actual games. Stanco, how much film have you watched of Tarik? What games did you watch?  

Yeah TB was definitely not the problem. Shea Patterson was by far the worst Michigan QB I have had in my lifetime (if you don't count the DickRod Steven Threet Nick Sheridan experiment) Black could have had 7-8 TDs easily last year if Shea was remotely close with his downfield attempts. 

This is a recap of Patterson from just one game. 

He cannot throw the ball accurately down the field. Multiple times, he had receivers open for big plays and, as he has done throughout his career, he missed them. Most of the time, he didn’t even give them a chance.

The ESPN broadcast noted in the fourth quarter that Patterson had overthrown his receivers seven times. SEVEN TIMES. No wonder he is completing 57 percent for the season, despite being surrounded by NFL talent.'

https://gbmwolverine.com/2020/01/01/michigan-football-missed-opportunties-vs-bama-story-shea-pattersons-career/

Edited by Juicy
  • Like 1

46 minutes ago, Juicy said:

Yeah TB was definitely not the problem. Shea Patterson was by far the worst Michigan QB I have had in my lifetime (if you don't count the DickRod Steven Threet Nick Sheridan experiment) Black could have had 7-8 TDs easily last year if Shea was remotely close with his downfield attempts. 

This is a recap of Patterson from just one game. 

https://gbmwolverine.com/2020/01/01/michigan-football-missed-opportunties-vs-bama-story-shea-pattersons-career/

Ole Miss got immediately better when Ta'amu replaced him, and he sucked out loud for UMich, but people still held onto the "Shea Patterson is an elite QB" dream for almost his entire Michigan tenure.

Amazing what being a 5 star and looking the part will do. And now:

14 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Ole Miss got immediately better when Ta'amu replaced him, and he sucked out loud for UMich, but people still held onto the "Shea Patterson is an elite QB" dream for almost his entire Michigan tenure.

Amazing what being a 5 star and looking the part will do. And now:

I have no hard feelings against the kid but he was a guy who had all the talent in the world and a .02 brain. Ill see if I can find the video where the OL literally pancakes the entire defensive line and he has no one anywhere near him, yet he still gets happy feet does some asinine roll out roll back and fires a ball 20 feet over the WR head. 

not the exact one I was looking for but this will work, and show you all you need to know about Shea

Edited by Juicy
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, Juicy said:

I have no hard feelings against the kid but he was a guy who had all the talent in the world and a .02 brain. Ill see if I can find the video where the OL literally pancakes the entire defensive line and he has no one anywhere near him, yet he still gets happy feet does some asinine roll out roll back and fires a ball 20 feet over the WR head. 

not the exact one I was looking for but this will work, and show you all you need to know about Shea

LMAO. He runs directly into the only "free" rusher. God, he was awful. Go watch some of their games where they had to play in inclement weather. Shit's hilarious.

3 minutes ago, MuellerHorn said:

LMAO. He runs directly into the only "free" rusher. God, he was awful. Go watch some of their games where they had to play in inclement weather. Shit's hilarious.

I remember watching that and just yelling step up, step up. Instead roll out right into the pressure. 

As a michigan fan I have watched them all. Them beating ND in a blowout in a monsoon was only due to the fact that all they did was run up the middle for the first 3 quarters. 

Edited by Juicy

6 minutes ago, Juicy said:

I remember watching that and just yelling step up, step up. Instead roll out right into the pressure. 

As a michigan fan I have watched them all. Them beating ND in a blowout in a monsoon was only due to the fact that all they did was run up the middle for the first 3 quarters. 

I miss Michigan being good. Seems like Harbaugh has always been a decent QB away from (actually) competing for the conference. I don't understand why they can't get one. JJ should change that.

Edited by MuellerHorn
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, Bevo said:

Did Michigan give anyone else a shot at QB? They had the TE/QB from New Mexico. I assume he was worse.

Dylan McCaffrey (Ed's son, Christian's Brother) replaced patterson at halftime of the Wisconsin game. On the second series down 35-0 he got grossly targeted suffered a concussion and back to Shea the reins went. 

Edited by Juicy