RV Share

Does anyone have any experience with renting out their RV or use an RV Share program?

I bought one last summer and have enjoyed it the times we've used it, about once a month,  but since it sits in storage most of the time, thought this might be a way to make some extra money

I think that you could really make some good money by renting it out, but you need to differentiate yourself from the competition. You should brand your RV as the Mobile Lemon Party and get a nice vinyl wrap on it to advertise to potential customers. Your phone will be ringing off the hook in no time.

• Like 3

I know that outdoorsy can make you some cash, depending on size ( that's what she said!) . My neighbor has a small one he I think has done well with renting, but depends on the length of the note if financed I would imagine.  I would think coronavirus concerns might hurt you.

IS IT TRUE that you die in summer without a second A/C unit?  I'm looking at something I might drag to the beach and trying to decide yes or no to the idea.  I figure I need 100 nights, in 5 years to get close to justifying the remaining value on a trailer

check you PM

26 minutes ago, horn4life said:

I know that outdoorsy can make you some cash, depending on size ( that's what she said!) . My neighbor has a small one he I think has done well with renting, but depends on the length of the note if financed I would imagine.  I would think coronavirus concerns might hurt you.

IS IT TRUE that you die in summer without a second A/C unit?  I'm looking at something I might drag to the beach and trying to decide yes or no to the idea.  I figure I need 100 nights, in 5 years to get close to justifying the remaining value on a trailer

check you PM

https://earthroamer.com

• Like 1

If you don't mind a bunch of noobs pulling your trailer (you gonna check to make sure they have a brake controller) trying to figure out how how to dump the shitter, shitting in your toilet and sexing in your bed, then sure go for it.

Actually I had been trying to convince my wife we should just rent a TT a few times a year instead of buying.

You can certainly go the solo route, advertise on your own via FB Marketplace, etc. however one of the benefits of the Outdoorsy type route is they provide insurance to the renter & also have some roadside assistance stuff.  I think there are co's that will issue policies for short term rental & I guess you could find them online.

We rented via Outdoorsy for the BBQ Austin cookoff & got a 28 footer with a bedroom & 2 fold out couches, one super slide, for $ 225 over 3 nights & an option for $ 50 for him to come to the Travis County Expo center & pick it up / evac the holding tanks.

My suggestion is to maybe rent 2x / month max to @ a minimum pay the note for ownership & maybe sock away some extra for the inevitable fuckup that's gonna happen with some of the onboard equipment, renter trouble, etc.

• Like 1

When I first got my boat, I had it in a charter outfit to offset costs.  It did do that, but over time the return was less and less as the increased wear and tear by people who varying degrees of experience just was too much and it wasn't worth it.  Plus you can't leave any of your personal shit on it, which made it more of a PITA.  I know it's different, but conceptually the same.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, horn4life said:

check you PM

Some are better insulated then others. Mine isn't that good. When it's hot outside, like last September. I had both running full blast at the campsite. Days like today I can get by on 1. It helps if you are in the shade too. At Lake GTown, I can just run 1 in the shade and it's comfortable. In the full sun, you  need to run the 2nd one on low. 

• Like 1

We have a Winnebago 22ft trailer. I have rented  it out on Outdoorsy for the last 2 years and have made around $8k. I pulled it off the market in February. Not corona related, I just got tired of cleaning it and having people use it. 95% of the renters were great and I delivered it a few times. I charged $200 for delivery. With the trailer being 5k lbs we never had an issue with vehicles not being able to pull or missing a brake controller besides once and we just did not rent to them.

I will probably re list it in the fall but I am enjoying not having the second job.

• Like 2

Interesting to see the differing perspectives, and thanks for PM reply TX. 

This all started for us because I was thinking I could buy a small toy hauler to haul tools and live in while remodeling my next rehab in Corpus.  I figured I could deduct it, have the ability to haul tools, doors, windows or what not.  With the real desire being a golf cart being hauled down to the beach! That morphed into a small trailer, which morphed into something a little nicer, which morphed into a little bigger and nicer with a second A/C and a 3/4 ton truck...

The comments from ROLF BOX and LebongJames reminded me of the possibility of renting a smaller trailer a couple times a month.  My neighbor has a small trailer I I do not think he had made a single payment out of his own pocket when I last talked to him in early March, after owning it a year and a half.  Probably out to rent and test it out and see if she likes it before pulling the trigger.  I am thinking that IF I RENT it, smaller trailers would rent more often?  Or if a larger trailer then I might need to deliver or have more worries due to inexperienced towing?  If I was renting a smaller trailer in Austin it probably would not be used by renters to take to the beach.  So the cleanup from them would not be the intensity of necessary post beach cleanup. I also imagine the rental opportunity window is probably best while the units are new???  With like 45% depreciation in 5 years, a super clean year or two old model might be the best bet from a rental/ cost perspective.  So if I financed I would not want some 120 month deal. 

Like I told TX LNGHRN10 - I think there are going to be some real opportunities on trailers in oil dependent areas in the coming months and Fall.   What was bought with cash recently, might be sold pretty cheap once folks start to really bleed. (hope I'm wrong here, but I will be watching). I really prefer the coast in the Spring and the Fall, for the best fishing, so I have time to do more research.  With the 84 months zero interest I am again leaning towards finally pulling the trigger a 3/4 ton 4x4, maybe 2021 if I can stand to wait a while longer.  Probably the cheaper gas version, but with a much towing capacity as I would ever need and more. IF I want to just go down and rent a place and haul the golf cart I can do that.  If I want to haul the golf cart and all but the largest trailers I could do that.  

I have a 32 foot class C and it seems like every year I take it out of storage (live in michigan and am not retired) to tailgate somethings wrong with it. I was gonna rent it but don’t feel like the bumps and bruises it would take are worth the headache 

I sort of view this as a potential boat on wheels.  In my head 100 stays is sort of the break even point on any purchase.  Simply as I know there will be a lot of little "break out another twenty" boat situations anytime I walk near the thing.  The old adage, :"if it floats, fucks or flies... rent it!" keeps creeping into my head in my contemplations. I could see a month a year of personal usage fairly easily,  just catching good tides and weather in the Spring and Fall  during the non-tourist season.  A week on the Guadalupe in the summer and maybe a few days for Wurstfest which I haven't been to in years.  Hell I might even be able to park it at my buddies place in Zilker for SXSW or ACL? Saving commutes during those event's from NW Austin would be sweet in and of itself. Looking a $300+ cheaper beachfront rentals, is not the same as hanging in a trailer, but it's a $300 view!

I can also see where renting could make some money, but along with a higher degree of hassle.  I am going to talk to outdoorsy and see what they have to say about rentals, and see what info I can glean from them.  I imagine with good service you could get some "regular" clients over time, but as the trailer ages I assume this would diminish. I also have more concerns about renting out something "nicer" that has more potential things for a renter to screw up.  Especially if nicer does not mean more rental income opportunity. Iill get bak with what I find from Outdoorsy.

I’ve been looking to get a trailer for a few years now. The only thing I’ve learned is I’m going 5th wheel (already have a diesel 3/4) and it won’t be new.

There is a guy on YouTube whos entire channel is him re-roofing and replacing that aft wall.  All brands, all types, all shoddy terrible construction.  Some are 1-2 years old, and when he takes the roof off, it exposes the absolutely laughable construction techniques. It absolutely changed my mind from only wanting to buy new, to only wanting to buy fully depreciated but properly stored (covered) trailers.  Sorry to be the negative guy, but it was eye opening and a decent sized purchase.  

2 hours ago, ROFL BOX said:

Link didn't show up.

Dude does pretty good work, I’ve watched a bunch of them.  Most important thing to me is if it was stored under cover, and has the depreciation hit because I would have a hard time paying new money for the quality on some of these.  

Edited by fattyflattie
Added commentary.

1 hour ago, immamac said:

I love that guys videos, if I ever needed to get a roof done I'm driving all the fucking way to Georgia to have him do it. 

I’ve had that same thought. But the more I look, I’ve found a lot that make sense for my family - 5 yo, 33-36’ 5th wheel for 12.5k or so.  I figure If I can get 5k worth of use out of it, it’ll be at the bottom of its depreciation even with older roof. Rinse, repeat.  I also have covered storage avail to me tho, so prolonged viability of the roof. But if I had to buy one new, I’d probably drive it straight to him tbh. Spend the $$ right up front and know it’s done right. 

So one of ya’ll throw up the all encompassing RV thread on Hobbies. Would like to buy a used one for up at our place so we could leave our household gear in one spot and not haul it back and forth when we camp there now.