Dallas Cowboys 2018 offseason thread

DougO

Via Rotoworld:

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports OL Marcus Martin is expected to sign with the Cowboys.

Martin also drew interest from the Lions, who he met with last week. A third-round pick of the Niners in 2014, Martin didn't see the field last season. He offers experience at both guard and center.

I was googling for some past reviews on his stuff in Cleveland and San Francisco. He didn't seem very well regarded. Posted a really poor rating at PFF when he was with SF. Looks like a replacement for Looney, but they could still re-sign Looney. Both have experience at Guard and Center.

Mike Mayock had him rated his top center in the 2014 draft as a potential 2-3 round pick.  Maybe still has some upside or could be in a better scheme fit...hopefully.

Nice signings. They still need to add a guard. No reason to love LC back to guard and leave yourself in trouble if Tyron gets hurt again. Fleming will be the Swing Tackle and Martin will be a younger Looney who maybe can start so they don’t have to feel like they need to take a Guard at 19 maybe?

I expect the Cowboys to draft a guard in the middle rounds that they think can win the starting spot at some point in the season. They could probably also sign Looney again pretty cheap for further insurance at G/C.

Fleming is capable of starting, but it's not ideal. He should be the swing tackle they lacked last season, which cost them dearly.  If they moved Collins to guard they still don't have a decent backup at tackle. I don't know how much cap room they have to work with right now. Could be their last signing before the draft.

If the Cowboys don't get a guard they like in the draft, or a signing some time after the draft, then moving Collins to guard becomes a greater possibility to get the best five on the line. They may give Chaz another shot at guard, because it's pretty clear he's a lost cause at tackle. But hopefully, he won't be a factor.

1 hour ago, DougO said:

If the Cowboys don't get a guard they like in the draft, or a signing some time after the draft, then moving Collins to guard becomes a greater possibility to get the best five on the line. They may give Chaz another shot at guard, because it's pretty clear he's a lost cause at tackle. But hopefully, he won't be a factor.

I don't ever want to see Chaz on the field again as a Cowboy. 

• Like 1

Jason Garrett going to Alabama's pro day. Last two pro days he's gone to were tOSU in 2016 when the selected Ezekiel Elliott and USC's in 2011 when they selected Tyron Smith.

https://www.bloggingtheboys.com/2018/3/27/17167912/2018-nfl-draft-cowboys-jason-garrett-is-headed-to-alabamas-pro-day-and-thats-a-big-deal

here's the top Alabama names they could draft:

They always handle free agency with a eye on filling holes so that there's no position they are forced to target in the draft. So the question I have is whether they will target a player or two they like, or stand pat and see what falls to them.

10 minutes ago, DougO said:

Ridley seems to be a very popular pick in mock drafts, NFL Network has been pumping it daily. I kinda doubt he'll be there, but I wouldn't be against it.

If Baltimore doesn't take him, he could easily be there. I wouldn't be against the pick at all. We just need play makers. I don't think we're locked into any one position at 19 like we have been for the past few years. 

7 minutes ago, youdunnf'dup said:

If Baltimore doesn't take him, he could easily be there. I wouldn't be against the pick at all. We just need play makers. I don't think we're locked into any one position at 19 like we have been for the past few years. 

The majority of mock drafts I've seen have Ridley going to Baltimore, who sorely need him and as you stated.  Lately, I've seen a number have us draft Rashaan Evans, which is obviously a need.  Our LB corp sucks and is thin.  It's amazing to think about but Sean Lee will be 32 this season.

6 hours ago, Patrick Bateman said:

The majority of mock drafts I've seen have Ridley going to Baltimore, who sorely need him and as you stated.  Lately, I've seen a number have us draft Rashaan Evans, which is obviously a need.  Our LB corp sucks and is thin.  It's amazing to think about but Sean Lee will be 32 this season.

I'm seeing a lot of him and this Clayton Vander Esch LB from Bosie State (queue the Bobby Carpenter comparisons because they're both white). There are LBs i'd prefer to draft on the 2nd day, but maybe we should just double up like we did with CB last year.

Edited by youdunnf'dup

8 minutes ago, youdunnf'dup said:

I'm seeing a lot of him and this Clayton Vander Esch LB from Bosie State (queue the Bobby Carpenter comparisons because they're both white). There are LBs i'd prefer to draft on the 2nd day, but maybe we should just double up like we did with CB last year.

We need minimum 2 LBs, and most likely 3.  2 probably need to be ready to contribute on opening week, snaps and special teams.....

We don't necessarily have to draft them, but we need em'.....

18 minutes ago, youdunnf'dup said:

They do love their Boise State connnection.

I don't think we'll see LB until the mid rounds, unless somebody really high on the board falls. I think first three rounds will among S, WR, DT or G/T in no particular order.

2 hours ago, Post Oak said:

I just dont see how that makes sense

1 hour ago, SW Horn said:

Doubt it. Unless we get Ridley in the draft, then maybe. Still doesn’t make sense and I’ve been a huge proponent of moving on - just with the right guy. 

It makes sense if you're in the camp that believes Dez's skills have diminished to the point that he's no better than a healthy Allen Hurns. I'm certainly not in that camp, but there are plenty of people out there that believe this to be true.