Dallas Cowboys 2018 offseason thread

DougO

12 minutes ago, Mileslong said:

I’m not sure about the timing but the draft will for sure tell you whether they plan on keeping Dez.  If they draft a WR in first round then Dez is gone.  If not, he is staying, imo 

I hear rumors that they were aiming to replace Wiliams, not Dez.  I dismissed it at the time but after the foot injury, I wonder how much truth there was to that.

3 minutes ago, Amobie said:

I hear rumors that they were aiming to replace Wiliams, not Dez.  I dismissed it at the time but after the foot injury, I wonder how much truth there was to that.

Williams deal makes it detrimental to cut him at this time (7.25 mill in dead money, no cap savings at this time)...... TWill will be with the team in some capacity unless we can trade him.

2 hours ago, Mileslong said:

I’m not sure about the timing but the draft will for sure tell you whether they plan on keeping Dez.  If they draft a WR in first round then Dez is gone.  If not, he is staying, imo 

Not necessarily. They would likely keep Dez this year and then let him go next year when it is more financially feasible. They already plan on getting a new number one receiver, but it's not a good bet to rely on a rookie WR in his first year.

They're trying hard to leverage Dez into a pay cut. I wouldn't be surprised of this Schultz guy was the result of a leak intended to motivate Dez into taking a cut.

Edited by DougO

2 hours ago, Patrick Bateman said:

Williams deal makes it detrimental to cut him at this time (7.25 mill in dead money, no cap savings at this time)...... TWill will be with the team in some capacity unless we can trade him.

Trading him with a draftpick to Seattle for Thomas was floating around. Figured it was a pipe dream because I didn't think they would be willing to making that many changes to the WR spot and that Seattle wouldn't be willing to completely revamp their defense.  

38 minutes ago, Bone3421 said:

I was wondering how long until swaim was mentioned...soon as i sent that i was like oh yeah

Should have said one that plays and is used on the field 

Swaim could actually contribute if we weren't so married to that corpse of a TE named Witten. 

2 hours ago, futureman said:

your future in talent evaluation is... dim. 

Remember like a week ago when I said Taquon Graham would be the 1st string NT for the Horns and you disagreed and then Graham was running with the ones at NT on the first day of spring camp?

Fuck off asshole. Im not here trying to pretend Im some shit Im just some dude trying to talk about football on the internet with some dudes whose opinons I respect. 

Ridley doesnt seem like the kind of dynamic playmaker I would want a 1st round WR to be. My opinion. He's solid to good at everything not really great at anything. He does have a great catch radius though. Callaway is Odell Beckham/Deandre Hopkins good, but yeah sexual assault Dallas could never get away with drafting him. He'll be a pro bowler for an AFC North team within 2 years

Edited by cmontexas
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, cmontexas said:

Remember like a week ago when I said Taquon Graham would be the 1st string NT for the Horns and you disagreed and then Graham was running with the ones at NT on the first day of spring camp?

Fuck off asshole. Im not here trying to pretend Im some shit Im just some dude trying to talk about football on the internet with some dudes whose opinons I respect. 

Ridley doesnt seem like the kind of dynamic playmaker I would want a 1st round WR to be. My opinion. He's solid to good at everything not really great at anything. He does have a great catch radius though. Callaway is Odell Beckham/Deandre Hopkins good, but yeah sexual assault Dallas could never get away with drafting him. He'll be a pro bowler for an NFC North team within 2 years

giphy.gif

ok, idoit. 

• Haha 1

Some scouts like DJ Moore better than Ridley. His combine stuff was a bit disappointing. My biggest question about Ridley is that he wasn't exactly featured like an NFL top pick in that old school offense, so it's tough to really judge by his resume.

Edited by DougO

10 hours ago, DougO said:

Some scouts like DJ Moore better than Ridley. His combine stuff was a bit disappointing. My biggest question about Ridley is that he wasn't exactly featured like an NFL top pick in that old school offense, so it's tough to really judge by his resume.

Ridley is considered the consensus best overall WR prospect in the draft.  Obviously that doesn't mean he's going to have the best career, but he's got the best odds of actually being on the field.  I don't think he's going to be a Calvin Johnson type of player and I think there are other guys at other positions that have the potential to be playing at an All Pro level where Dallas will be picking.  I'd rather spend the pick on Defense.

If you don't get him, there are 6 different guys that grade out within the a few percentage points of each other from what i've seen.   

Edited by Amobie

19 minutes ago, Viper said:

yeah what do you do with Gregory? How much is he costing you to keep him on the roster this year vs just cutting him now?

If he's reinstated, take him to camp and see how he does.  Keep his past in consideration for whether or not he makes it through cuts.  I don't think you gain anything by releasing him right now.

that's what I thought. So as I see it, you try to minimize the resources you invest in him so if he's suspended again you aren't out much. So let him practice and play in preseason but as 2nd/3rd string. If he shows up and doesn't get suspended then that's all a bonus, if not, then you're not out much. 

1 hour ago, Amobie said:

Ridley is considered the consensus best overall WR prospect in the draft.  Obviously that doesn't mean he's going to have the best career, but he's got the best odds of actually being on the field.  I don't think he's going to be a Calvin Johnson type of player and I think there are other guys at other positions that have the potential to be playing at an All Pro level where Dallas will be picking.  I'd rather spend the pick on Defense.

If you don't get him, there are 6 different guys that grade out within the a few percentage points of each other from what i've seen.   

Yes, Ridley is clearly the consensus, at least as reported by the media. But DJ is more the underwear Olympics workout warrior that the Cowboys seem to covet so it wouldn't shock me in the least if they passed on Ridley to take Moore.

I agree, there are some good WR prospects that should be there in the second and third round. I would take Ron Payne over a receiver if he were there. I don't think the safeties are that strong for what the Cowboys need, a deep cover guy that can make plays on the ball. I like Reid from Stanford as the best fit and he may be available a bit later.

Moore is still a good player, just probably wouldn't take him in round 1.  I don't like how short he is but he's definitely strong and broke a lot of tackles.  He's probably closer to a RB/WR hybrid based on his body type.  5'11 215lbs is pretty stout for a WR.

3 hours ago, Viper said:

yeah what do you do with Gregory? How much is he costing you to keep him on the roster this year vs just cutting him now?

cutting him now won’t happen.  his talent is elite.  jerry will give him every chance to contribute on the roster.  if he’s passed all the drug tests like miles said there’s no reason to think he won’t be playing week 1.  I’m ecstatic. 

1 hour ago, Mileslong said:

Apparently Gregory has done everything asked of him since his last suspension. Passed every drug test, has gainful employment etc.

Now watch Goodell simply deny his reinstatement well just because

So an additional 6 games..

/Goodell

3 hours ago, Viper said:

Garrett went to see Courtland Sutton the other day. Certainly looks like the Cowboys will draft a WR in the first couple rounds 

They've met with, or scheduled to meet, a bunch of WR and a bunch of OL.

7 minutes ago, GOAT said:

Da'Ron Payne, Vander Esch, Rashaan Evans, and Ridley on the board. Who are you picking?

Payne is my guy. He will be the one the Cowboys pass on that breaks my heart. I'd be fairly OK with any of them, though.

But I really think some team will be smart enough to draft Payne ahead of 19.

11 hours ago, DougO said:

Yes, Ridley is clearly the consensus, at least as reported by the media. But DJ is more the underwear Olympics workout warrior that the Cowboys seem to covet so it wouldn't shock me in the least if they passed on Ridley to take Moore.

I agree, there are some good WR prospects that should be there in the second and third round. I would take Ron Payne over a receiver if he were there. I don't think the safeties are that strong for what the Cowboys need, a deep cover guy that can make plays on the ball. I like Reid from Stanford as the best fit and he may be available a bit later.

Moore definitely isn’t a combine warrior. Look at his career, and keep in mind he did this at Maryland with at least 5 different qbs (if I’m not mistaken). His combine elevated his draft stock, but Moore is a pretty accomplished college wr. I honestly wouldn’t hate that pick at 19 if Ridley is off the board. We might even be able to trade back and get him later in the first round, but he’ll probably be the 2nd wr off the board. 

1 hour ago, youdunnf'dup said:

Moore definitely isn’t a combine warrior. Look at his career, and keep in mind he did this at Maryland with at least 5 different qbs (if I’m not mistaken). His combine elevated his draft stock, but Moore is a pretty accomplished college wr. I honestly wouldn’t hate that pick at 19 if Ridley is off the board. We might even be able to trade back and get him later in the first round, but he’ll probably be the 2nd wr off the board. 

He's definitely had a good career. I'm just saying he's hitting the kind athletic measurements the Cowboys seem to prefer. They tend to undervalue guys with great tape and great instincts but average athletic testing.