Ex Cop and son kill unarmed black man jogging

purplepride95

https://www.cnn.com/2020/06/04/us/mcmichaels-hearing-ahmaud-arbery/index.html

The allegations came as Dial outlined the events that led to Arbery's death and told the court that before Arbery was shot, the three men charged in his murder engaged in an elaborate chase, hitting the 25-year-old jogger with a truck as he repeatedly tried to avoid them.
As Travis and Gregory McMichael attempted to head him off, Arbery turned and ran past the truck of Bryan, who filmed the killing, and Bryan struck Arbery with the side of his truck, Dial said.

Yeah, I think we're done here. Any hope any of them had evaporated when they found proof that Arbery had been struck by Bryan's truck. One would hope they would spare everyone the pain of a trial, but we know that won't happen.

On 5/28/2020 at 10:46 AM, High Plains Drifter said:

Black lives matter should march through that neighborhood while carrying ar 15 s.

The fastest way to get open carry overturned (and maybe broader gun control in general) would be for every black person to start open carrying ARs. Of course many of them would be shot and killed by other citizens and cops without repercussion because they "feared for their lives". But if a bunch of large black men started carrying ARs in Westlake HEB, I'm guessing we would be reevaluating our position on open carry laws. 

• Hook 'Em 1

18 minutes ago, smoothlonghorn said:

https://www.cnn.com/2020/06/04/us/mcmichaels-hearing-ahmaud-arbery/index.html

Yeah, I think we're done here. Any hope any of them had evaporated when they found proof that Arbery had been struck by Bryan's truck. One would hope they would spare everyone the pain of a trial, but we know that won't happen.

Jesus Christ. They hit him with car first?  Think about the terror this guy felt as he had to keep running until exhaustion figuring what would happen when he ran out of energy.  And to think that the DA wrote that "I recuse" letter saying it was all clearly on the up and up.

24 minutes ago, irishtexan said:

The fastest way to get open carry overturned (and maybe broader gun control in general) would be for every black person to start open carrying ARs. Of course many of them would be shot and killed by other citizens and cops without repercussion because they "feared for their lives". But if a bunch of large black men started carrying ARs in Westlake HEB, I'm guessing we would be reevaluating our position on open carry laws. 

How do you conceal carry long guns?

I too hope they carry, I want everyone to own guns.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, BehoId, The Underminer! said:

Jesus Christ. They hit him with car first?  Think about the terror this guy felt as he had to keep running until exhaustion figuring what would happen when he ran out of energy.  And to think that the DA wrote that "I recuse" letter saying it was all clearly on the up and up.

The phrase you're looking for is "relentlessly hunted him down and killed him."  This is first degree murder.  And the entire hunting party is guilty.

Edited by Brisketexan
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Brisketexan said:

The phrase you're looking for is "relentlessly hunted him down and killed him."  This is first degree murder.  And the entire hunting party is guilty.

yes, they were a lynch mob, and the testimony that the son that killed arbery stood over his dying body and said "fucking nigger" should pretty much end any doubt about intent.

Bryan told police McMichael said "f***ing n***er" after three blasts from McMichael's shotgun left Arbery dead in February the streets of the Satilla Shores neighborhood, Assistant Special Agent in Charge Richard Dial said. Body camera footage also showed a Confederate flag sticker on the toolbox of McMichael's truck, Dial said.

Classy

1 hour ago, Bruh Man said:
Raise your hand if you're surprised.

And somehow Arbery's palm print and fibers from his clothing were located on the vehicle driven by the innocent videographer. That guy's attorney is a fucking idiot.  Does he not understand forensic science?

Edited by Cousin Strawberry
dumb

3-Man lynch mob.  The feeble defense that Sr "Was just along for the ride and a good man" or that Rody wasn't involved are pure bullshit.

In the article...

At one point, Arbery was heading out of the Satilla Shores neighborhood where the defendants live, but the McMichaels forced him to turn back into the neighborhood and run past Bryan, the agent said. That is when he struck Arbery, Dial said, and Arbery kept running with the McMichaels in pursuit.

And then you hear the racking of Rody's handgun as he is videoing, Probably why he could not keep the video on the action.

17 minutes ago, Ignatius said:

Where are the posters from upstream wanting more facts on what happened before rushing to judgement? Surprised they’re not weighing in now that more facts are available...

I don't think we'll see Mr. Sack or Mr. Beeper in this thread, they're still waiting on more facts

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, TexasEd said:

3-Man lynch mob.  The feeble defense that Sr "Was just along for the ride and a good man" or that Rody wasn't involved are pure bullshit.

In the article...

And then you hear the racking of Rody's handgun as he is videoing, Probably why he could not keep the video on the action.

I mean.....this.  It was in every sense of the term, a white racists lynch mob that lynched a black man:

lynch

/lin(t)SH/

Learn to pronounce

verb

gerund or present participle: lynching; noun: lynching

(of a mob) kill (someone), especially by hanging, for an alleged offense with or without a legal trial.

"her father had been lynched for a crime he didn't commit"

They decided that Arbery was a criminal, so they hunted him down, assaulted him (hit him with a vehicle), cornered him, and murdered him when he tried to stay alive.  Ir's a fucking lynching, in every sense.

I oppose the death penalty.  I still do.  But every time I have stated my case, I have conceded that there are always cases that make it hard to maintain that opposition, and murderers who, when they are executed, will draw only a smile from me.  This is one of those cases.  I oppose the death penalty administered by the state.  I believe these men should be imprisoned for life without possibility of parole.

But if they are sentenced the death, I confess that I will not be displeased when the last bit of life ebbs from their worthless corpses.

1 hour ago, irishtexan said:

You're describing the Black Panthers. If you're wondering how the U.S. system would handle black people being armed, you can go back to this history. It's not unprecedented. 

Oh, also, the Emmett Till Anti-Lynching Act was set to sail through Congress this year (making lynching a federal crime).  Easily passed the house with broad bi-partisan support.  Was expected to do the same in the Senate.....but one senator froze the whole thing.  Any guesses as to who?

Imagine one of the shittiest states in the union, and a man with a dead possum on his head.  A man whose neighbor knew what was up....

s-RAND-PAUL-large640.jpg

17 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Oh, also, the Emmett Till Anti-Lynching Act was set to sail through Congress this year (making lynching a federal crime).  Easily passed the house with broad bi-partisan support.  Was expected to do the same in the Senate.....but one senator froze the whole thing.  Any guesses as to who?

Imagine one of the shittiest states in the union, and a man with a dead possum on his head.  A man whose neighbor knew what was up....

s-RAND-PAUL-large640.jpg

DynamicImageHandler_fd75c7c7-2137-496d-a

1 hour ago, Armybrat said:

They could..... it’s Georgia.

Given everything that is happening right now, plus the fact that it's an election year - I don't see anybody who has vested interest in these guys walking free or getting off with a slap on the wrist.

Even if a closeted white supremacist made it onto the jury, it's just not an appealing battle he or she would want to fight.  

5 hours ago, mdmost said:

The Innocence Project needs to take a look at every conviction that resulted from the former cop's testimony or investigations. All of that has to be called into question now. 

I’d donate to the Innocent Project it they wouldn’t take up cases like obvious serial psychopaths like Rodney Reed. 

motherfucker was guilty as fuck. 

I understand being anti death penalty.  I’m pretty much almost there. 

But Rodney Reed killed that woman.  And raped and attacked a bunch more.  

Edited by Johnny Sack
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Xian said:

I’m just happy these red necks chose the absolute dumbest attorney alive. 

Any other and they might still be free 

How did "their" attorney fuck this up?

For one thing, the situation pretty much demands that all three have different attorneys.

They decided that Arbery was a criminal, so they hunted him down, assaulted him (hit him with a vehicle), cornered him, and murdered him when he tried to stay alive.  Ir's a fucking lynching, in every sense.
I oppose the death penalty.  I still do.  But every time I have stated my case, I have conceded that there are always cases that make it hard to maintain that opposition, and murderers who, when they are executed, will draw only a smile from me.  This is one of those cases.  I oppose the death penalty administered by the state.  I believe these men should be imprisoned for life without possibility of parole.
But if they are sentenced the death, I confess that I will not be displeased when the last bit of life ebbs from their worthless corpses.

Throw em in gen pop. In Georgia, they won’t last a week.
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Xian said:

My understanding is that he is the one who released the video in the first place. 

Oh yeah, I had forgotten that.  I don't believe he was hired by anyone.  Supposedly a friend of Roddie.  When Roddie appeared on CNN, he had a different one.

11 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

s-RAND-PAUL-large640.jpg

As a person who is inclined to not trust Rand as far as I can throw him I can't really quibble with his reasoning here.  

Those of you whom are more well versed in these matters is there anything I'm missing?

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Without commenting on the particular law in question or the policies underlying it.

It's a fairly classic example of pandering by federal legislators by creating a new federal crime that mostly duplicates state crimes. To wit. a number of states have lynching and hate crime laws, all states have murder laws.  It's not as though lynching will go unpunished (assuming it's prosecuted) in Georgia or Alabama.

Now, there may be specific justifications for this law that are completely valid.

But the feds have done this over and over and over again, and it is, generally speaking, a bad idea.  It is mostly done in a moral panic, ala our drug laws.

I haven't read the specific law in question.  I would be quite content if federal criminal jurisdiction that completely overlaps state jursidiction was exercised only after a specific finding that the state response or prosecution has been inadequate, which I believe tends to be a feature, if not an express one, of civil rights violation prosecutions.  It should be formalized, in my opinion.

Edited by TwiceHorn
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, 'stache said:

A big reason I oppose the death penalty is because it is given so disproportionately to blacks people. When these guys are spared it’ll just be another example.

Because they aren't charged with a capital offense, they aren't really being "spared."  To the extent it is being "spared," it has already happened.  There's no "when" about it, these shitballs aren't eligible for the death penalty.

Edited by TwiceHorn

• 3 weeks later...

Video at link: https://q13fox.com/2020/06/27/grand-jury-indicts-3-suspects-in-ahmaud-arbery-murder-case/

Indictment decision in 10 minutes.  So much for the original DA decision not to arrest or charge.

BRUNSWICK, Ga. – A grand jury has returned indictments of the three suspects in the shooting death of Ahmaud Arbery.

Cobb County District Attorney Joyette M. Holmes announced the charges at the Glynn County Courthouse at 3:30 p.m. Wednesday. The indictment has nine charges, including malice murder, four counts of felony murder, two counts of aggravated assault, false imprisonment; and criminal attempt to commit false imprisonment.

Holmes said she would be moving forward with the prosecution of 64-year-old Greg McMichael, 34-year-old Travis McMichael, and 50-year-old William “Roddie” Bryan, and was looking at the next steps, though she acknowledged there will be a bit of a slowdown due to the COVID-19 pandemic.

Edited by TexasEd

• 5 months later...

That whole incident brought a new understanding of the systematic racism for me.  Watching the video of his murder, then seeing the DA or whoever it was write that letter about how it was clearly a good kill blew my mind.  Nonsense about Ahmaud pulling the barrel of the gun toward him, and how Ahmaud must have jostled the gun making it go off in his stomach.  People murder people, and that sucks.  But have it in writing from an official in charge of determining this stuff, from the calm and cool of a desk in an office was so grotesque. 

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, BehoId, The Underminer! said:

That whole incident brought a new understanding of the systematic racism for me.  Watching the video of his murder, then seeing the DA or whoever it was write that letter about how it was clearly a good kill blew my mind.  Nonsense about Ahmaud pulling the barrel of the gun toward him, and how Ahmaud must have jostled the gun making it go off in his stomach.  People murder people, and that sucks.  But have it in writing from an official in charge of determining this stuff, from the calm and cool of a desk in an office was so grotesque. 

Probably semantic, but when I think of "systemic" racism, I tend to think of subtle and subconscious biases, not the flat-out shit we got right here.

54 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Probably semantic, but when I think of "systemic" racism, I tend to think of subtle and subconscious biases, not the flat-out shit we got right here.

I think it's semantically appropriate here - the SYSTEM was racist in protecting the murderers and smoke screening their lies to the public

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/18/2020 at 1:15 PM, Captainant said:

I think it's semantically appropriate here - the SYSTEM was racist in protecting the murderers and smoke screening their lies to the public

The cops not cuffing the killer and the DA dismissing the charges = Systemic.

The three guys in pickup trucks forming a posse to "lynch" an unarmed black man for being in their neighborhood = Overt KKK style racism

Edited by TexasEd
  • Hook 'Em 2

• 3 months later...

Bump - turns out it's a hate crime to lynch a black man. Who knew!

https://www.pbs.org/newshour/nation/u-s-indicts-3-on-hate-crime-charges-in-death-of-georgia-man

WASHINGTON (AP) — The Justice Department brought federal hate crimes charges Wednesday in the death of Ahmaud Arbery, charging a father and son who armed themselves, chased and fatally shot the 25-year-old Black man after spotting him running in their Georgia neighborhood.

Travis McMichael and his father, Gregory, were charged along with a third man, William “Roddie” Bryan, with one count of interference with civil rights and attempted kidnapping. The McMichaels are also charged with using, carrying and brandishing a firearm during a crime of violence.

The case is the most significant civil rights prosecution undertaken to date by the Biden administration Justice Department and comes as federal officials have moved quickly to open sweeping investigations into troubled police departments as civil rights takes center stage among the department’s priorities.

The indictment charges that the McMichaels “armed themselves with firearms, got into a truck and chased Arbery through the public streets of the neighborhood while yelling at Arbery, using their truck to cut off his route and threatening him with firearms.” It also alleges that Bryan got into a truck and then chased Arbery, using the vehicle to block his path.

Arbery, 25, was killed on Feb. 23, 2020, by three close-range shotgun blasts after the McMichaels pursued him in a pickup truck as he was running through their neighborhood. Arbery had been dead for more than two months when a cellphone video of the shooting was leaked online and a national outcry erupted.

The Georgia Bureau of Investigation took over the case the next day and swiftly arrested Travis McMichael, who fired the shots, his father, and Bryan, a neighbor who joined the pursuit and took the video. The three men remain jailed on state murder charges and are due back in court in May.

The McMichaels’ lawyers have said they pursued Arbery, suspecting he was a burglar, after security cameras had previously recorded him entering a home under construction. They say Travis McMichael shot Arbery while fearing for his life as they grappled over a shotgun.

Local prosecutors have said Arbery stole nothing and was merely out jogging when the McMichaels and Bryan chased him.

The Justice Department alleges that the men “used force and threats of force to intimidate and interfere with Arbery’s right to use a public street because of his race.”