Ex Cop and son kill unarmed black man jogging

purplepride95

50 minutes ago, 52-80 said:

you go to prison and this guy says you smell nice.  WYD?

Big Herc on Twitter: "Embrace the lifestyle. @sexaddictclothing @leisac3  @jessarhodesxxx @Barrettbladexxx @EricMastersonX @bfknaniston  http://t.co/2paDIpciGM" / Twitter

Question his sense of smell.  Because if I was ever sent to prison, being disgustingly rank at all times would be a core strategy of my self-defense.  Shit, I might swallow smuggled in sulphur pills, just to be sure.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Sandman said:

I had never heard of the "N" version until I saw Pulp Fiction in the theater. I was looking around to see if anyone else had heard it or maybe I was losing my mind.

Same. 

2 hours ago, hayden_horn said:

and you used the word "brothers." that's what stood out to me. just letting you know.

Wait, can’t use brothas now.  Thought that was a (true) term of endearment that crossed over the lines.  Makes note. 

1 hour ago, Pato del Muerto said:

That’s the colloquial racist term for Brazil nuts. 

I was in my 30’s before I learned what a Brazil nut was. Happened on the same day I heard the “other” name for it.  

The “he was probably up to no good” defense has been asserted, and it absolutely works on some people.

A comment from Jerry Patterson’s page after he asked people to chime in with predictions (not by Jerry - Jerry’s actually a good enough guy):

“Acquittal. There's a lot of reason to believe he was up to no good and Georgia law at the time made it potentially legal for the 3 to get involved.”

Will one juror feel that way? In Glynn county Ga? The risk is material.

I’m not disagreeing with you, but how much do you know about Glynn County?

5 minutes ago, Buzzrock said:

Enough to know that the defense attorneys think dog whistles are the way to avoid conviction. Oh yeah, I also know that at least 3 white guys there have no issue hunting down and killing a black man jogging in their neighborhood. And I know that the DA there thinks that isn't worthy of a criminal case. So yeah... I think we know enough. 

Edited by Dahobbs
  • Rage+1 2

9 minutes ago, Buzzrock said:

I know they elected a DA who was going to let these guys walk without so much as a single charge being brought.  That seems like a relevant piece of information.

I know it's around 70% white, a significantly higher percentage than nearby counties.

And there's this sort of info as well, that came out when the case broke:

For years, the makeup of the 122-strong Glynn County Police Department has not reflected the community it serves. In 2017 only 12% of the officers were Black, while U.S. Census figures show the county was 26% Black. In 2021, the percentage of officers who are non-white rose to 22%.

The most common encounter between police and the public is the traffic stop, and in Glynn County Black drivers are more often ticketed than white drivers, in relation to their percentage of the population, according to three years of records that the police department provided to The Current. 

Once pulled over, Black drivers were more likely to be ticketed for a reason not necessarily linked to traffic safety, raising questions about the motive for the traffic stop in the first place. 

911 calls between 2018-2020 showed that 77% of the calls reporting “suspicious persons” came from majority white neighborhoods—numbers that suggest policing priorities and methods in Glynn County may be influenced by the biases of county residents themselves. Eighteen such 911 calls came from Satilla Shores in the six months leading up to Arbery’s death.

These and other findings reinforce the conclusion of an audit of the Glynn County Police Department carried out by the International Association of Chiefs of Police (IACP) in 2017. The association’s examiners found that implicit bias could be a problem. While the department had a policy that prohibits racial or ethnic profiling by officers and requires diversity training for its force each year, the auditors were “unable to verify that this training has occurred on a regular basis and that accurate records are being maintained,” according to the 154-page report.

I don't think I'd enjoy being a black person in Glynn County very much.  Mr. Arbery sure didn't.

I have no read on a quick verdict when it comes to this but a quick verdict (assuming one is rendered tomorrow) usually doesn’t bode well for the defense. If the sheriff is telling family to be around tomorrow morning it won’t be much longer. I want them to be found guilty. Bryan may be something holding them up a bit but my gut says they will be found guilty. Hoping anyway. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

I have no read on a quick verdict when it comes to this but a quick verdict (assuming one is rendered tomorrow) usually doesn’t bode well for the defense. If the sheriff is telling family to be around tomorrow morning it won’t be much longer. I want them to be found guilty. Bryan may be something holding them up a bit but my gut says they will be found guilty. Hoping anyway. 

Or they want to watch football on Friday.

I wish they'd take their time though.  I don't want some bullshit appeal hinging on, "The jury jumped to conclusions so they could get home to their families for Thanksgiving."  I'm working all day tomorrow, let them too.

But as with the Rittenhouse case and the 64 cases heard regarding the 2020 election...I will stand by the judge and jury.  It's the price we pay for civilization.  

Depends on what “nearly reached” really  means. I doubt they found 11 not guiltys from voir dire or whatever, with one holdout.  But if it’s 11 guilty as fuck let’s get the hell out of here and one other, is the other the type the defense was fishing for or is it more along the lines of someone who doesn’t really want a guilty verdict and the sentence that follows  on their conscience and are having a tough time doing the proper thing?  

Edited by Pato del Muerto

3 minutes ago, Lobo said:

I wish they'd take their time though.  I don't want some bullshit appeal hinging on, "The jury jumped to conclusions so they could get home to their families for Thanksgiving."  I'm working all day tomorrow, let them too.

But as with the Rittenhouse case and the 64 cases heard regarding the 2020 election...I will stand by the judge and jury.  It's the price we pay for civilization.  

That isn't a basis for an appeal. You need not worry about that. 

3 minutes ago, Dahobbs said:

I mean yes, that's not what they would cite to the appellate judge...but it's some bullshit the defense attorneys would spout off about after this verdict is rendered.  These poor lawyers are gonna be left hanging in the wind as the guys who couldn't get off their clients who weren't even supposed to be arrested, let alone convicted.  They fucked up the good ole' boy's racist network.  I picture those Glynn County folks like Frank Dreben in "Naked Gun".............."Just think, the next time I shoot somebody, I could be arrested."  

To think that the defendant released the video bc he thought it would exonerate him. I also wonder if the toenail comment made in closing arguments had the opposite effect of what was intended. Obviously we don’t know what the jury is thinking but it would be great if it offended the jury. Of course they are supposed to just consider the evidence but still. But that is assuming guilty verdicts. I think like some of the pundits have said that they may be split on what to charge  Bryan with?

Edited by Nicole44

1 hour ago, Brisketexan said:

Question his sense of smell.  Because if I was ever sent to prison, being disgustingly rank at all times would be a core strategy of my self-defense.  Shit, I might swallow smuggled in sulphur pills, just to be sure.

That’s extreme. How would you sleep at night if you could smell yourself that badly? Or is the plan to smell so badly they put you in solitary? 

14 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

That’s extreme. How would you sleep at night if you could smell yourself that badly? Or is the plan to smell so badly they put you in solitary? 

Don't matter, kept butthole sealed.

Also, I think a quick verdict bodes well for the prosecution.  I'm hopeful, because this one truly is pretty damned easy on the law.

• Hook 'Em 1

10 hours ago, wildcat09 said:

Say what you will about the old South, but they know how to get extremely esoteric with their racism. You're not going to get an obscure reference to dirty toenails used as a racist appeal by some Boston southies. That's some real Georgia or South Carolina shit right there.

/csb time -

My first trip to Gulfport as a stinking annuity wholesaler ended the day with my drive back to Mandeville, LA.  The entire day of meetings felt like I had stepped back a century.  Nothing was said, no nooses were slung, but I just had a weird feeling heading back home that I couldn’t quite put my finger on.

That was until I pulled up next to a guy at a stop light who looked like a roadie for Lynyrd Skynyrd driving a rusted out old Delta 88.  He got on the gas to beat me to the on-ramp and there it was, a Rebel Flag bumper sticker with the caption - “It’s a white thang, deal with it!”, on the bottom of the sticker.

I don’t think he got the esoteric memo.

9 minutes ago, Cajun said:

/csb time -

My first trip to Gulfport as a stinking annuity wholesaler ended the day with my drive back to Mandeville, LA.  The entire day of meetings felt like I had stepped back a century.  Nothing was said, no nooses were slung, but I just had a weird feeling heading back home that I couldn’t quite put my finger on.

That was until I pulled up next to a guy at a stop light who looked like a roadie for Lynyrd Skynyrd driving a rusted out old Delta 88.  He got on the gas to beat me to the on-ramp and there it was, a Rebel Flag bumper sticker with the caption - “It’s a white thang, deal with it!”, on the bottom of the sticker.

I don’t think he got the esoteric memo.

My first trip to New Orleans, I passed a guy on the way home who had a “If I knew it was gonna be this much trouble I would’ve picked the damn cotton myself” bumper sticker.

6 hours ago, DDD Dad said:

This is what I can't get my head around.  I don't see that as "justice."  We have laws that as a society we've chosen to create that define "justice" (for better or worse).  Rape or other violence meted out in prison is simply another crime committed.  

The sort of "extended empathy" where people seem to put themselves in the shoes of the victim's family and thereby wish all kinds of horrors on the defendant is an oddball phenomenon.

I can't pretend to know how a murder or other brutality victim's family feels.  It is quite possible that I am missing some sort of empathy there.  But I am reasonably certain that no matter how temporarily justifiable their rage and fury may be in their grief and bereavement, execution, life sentences, long sentences, and prison brutality are not going to help them heal.

3 hours ago, Dahobbs said:

There probably is a basis for appeal, not a particularly good one I don't think, on the jury instruction (or refusal to instruct) on the citizen's arrest question.

So you can probably count on an appeal on that, if nothing else.

There probably is a basis for appeal, not a particularly good one I don't think, on the jury instruction (or refusal to instruct) on the citizen's arrest question.

It’s THE basis for an appeal. As far as questions of law go, that’s the determinative one.

4 hours ago, Buzzrock said:

As a fellow member of the Surly Georgia crew, I think this thread shows a misunderstanding of how polite Deep South racism is. Black/white day-to-day interactions are more constant and pervasive than other parts of the country, so there’s a requisite amount of politeness.

Once the ugliness goes public, it’s a different story. The flow of information has changed. Dig around here for a few minutes (https://gahistoricnewspapers.galileo.usg.edu/) and you find pretty casual and glowing descriptions for lynchings 100ish years ago. Old Deep South newspapers are fascinating reading. Southern racial violence has always wanted a sense of respectability and decorum.

You can’t dress this one up once it’s been broadcast everywhere. The DA sweeping this thing under the rug is pretty much the historical job description for a Deep South DA. It keeps the unseemly part of it at arm’s length. Once it’s out, in this day and age, those two are toast. We’ve all seen the footage and it’s pretty unambiguous; southern racists don’t want to feel like they’re racists anymore.

As a relatively recent transplant to GA who let my free trial to Racism Quarterly expire, the toenail stuff was lost on me. It makes me wonder how much racism goes on in my daily interactions that goes right over my head.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

For years, the makeup of the 122-strong Glynn County Police Department has not reflected the community it serves. In 2017 only 12% of the officers were Black, while U.S. Census figures show the county was 26% Black. In 2021, the percentage of officers who are non-white rose to 22%.

The most common encounter between police and the public is the traffic stop, and in Glynn County Black drivers are more often ticketed than white drivers, in relation to their percentage of the population, according to three years of records that the police department provided to The Current. 

Once pulled over, Black drivers were more likely to be ticketed for a reason not necessarily linked to traffic safety, raising questions about the motive for the traffic stop in the first place. 

911 calls between 2018-2020 showed that 77% of the calls reporting “suspicious persons” came from majority white neighborhoods—numbers that suggest policing priorities and methods in Glynn County may be influenced by the biases of county residents themselves. Eighteen such 911 calls came from Satilla Shores in the six months leading up to Arbery’s death.

These and other findings reinforce the conclusion of an audit of the Glynn County Police Department carried out by the International Association of Chiefs of Police (IACP) in 2017. The association’s examiners found that implicit bias could be a problem. While the department had a policy that prohibits racial or ethnic profiling by officers and requires diversity training for its force each year, the auditors were “unable to verify that this training has occurred on a regular basis and that accurate records are being maintained,” according to the 154-page report.

the horror

6 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Flowers?  That’s the colloquial racist term for Brazil nuts. 

Brisket started a long thread on the shit like this from our childhood....

"Ding-dong-ditch" was not always called that. (And that's a stupid name, but of course better than the old one.)

About 80 percent* of males young and old in the Houston of the '80s had some kind of night-stick type club within reach in their cars / trucks that had a name remarkably similar to that of the prank above.

You'd hear expressions like "busier than a pair of jumper cables at a nine-car n****r funeral" every so often.

My maternal grandfather would not say hard-r in front of ladies but he would when we were alone. In an '80s version of owning the Libs he would say "darkies" and "nigras" in front of his wife and daughters. 

And that is just a few things, and confined to Black people. You should have heard how we talked about the Jews at Brisket and my alma mater. One thing comes to mind -- if you asked a buddy for 50 cents and he wouldn't give it to you, we'd commonly put our fist in the middle of our forehead and crook our arm, thereby giving the appearance of an enormous nose.

I'd say at school, casually anti-Semitic language was far more common than racist talk. It wasn't considered cool, and there were enough Black kids there to where we all at least got along with some of them or maybe were even friends. I used to think there was one Jew at that school in the four years I was there -- I mean, his last name is Marx -- but I looked him up and he is now a Russian Orthodox priest so there goes that idea.  

• Hook 'Em 1

51 minutes ago, conVINCEd said:

My first trip to New Orleans, I passed a guy on the way home who had a “If I knew it was gonna be this much trouble I would’ve picked the damn cotton myself” bumper sticker.

I saw one of those on a truck in the parking lot of my grandmother's Catholic nursing home in Houston inside of five years ago. Beaumont dealer tags (shrugs)

15 minutes ago, Mole said:

Once it’s out, in this day and age, those two are toast. We’ve all seen the footage and it’s pretty unambiguous; southern racists don’t want to feel like they’re racists anymore.

As a relatively recent transplant to GA who let my free trial to Racism Quarterly expire, the toenail stuff was lost on me. It makes me wonder how much racism goes on in my daily interactions that goes right over my head.

This. This is why I am slightly less concerned about a lone holdout than Brisket. The powers of persuasion of the rest of the jury would be brought firmly to bear on that person, who'd need to have an iron will to cling to that position all alone.

Now if there are two or three of them on there...

26 minutes ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

And that is just a few things, and confined to Black people. You should have heard how we talked about the Jews at Brisket and my alma mater. One thing comes to mind -- if you asked a buddy for 50 cents and he wouldn't give it to you, we'd commonly put our fist in the middle of our forehead and crook our arm, thereby giving the appearance of an enormous nose.

We did that.  Ironically, I suppose, only after having read the Merchant of Venice and having Shylock's character explained.  To the school's credit, we also read a very good novel about Jewish culture in The Chosen, the same year.

Until 10th grade, we were blissfully ignorant of one of the main tropes of anti-Semitism.  At least, I never heard it or heard of it and I was pretty aware of things and also pretty well-read. 

And we had a few Jewish classmates.  I honestly believe that a part of the motivation for it was just to be "naughty" and to sort of parody the ridiculousness of it, as opposed to any actual ill will toward Jews.  It is quite possible that some degree of anti-Semitism hardened in some of us later in life.  Most of the racist talk and joking around was like that, although it may have had more sinister origins.

• Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

We did that.  Ironically, I suppose, only after having read the Merchant of Venice and having Shylock's character explained.  To the school's credit, we also read a very good novel about Jewish culture in The Chosen, the same year.

Until 10th grade, we were blissfully ignorant of one of the main tropes of anti-Semitism.  At least, I never heard it or heard of it and I was pretty aware of things and also pretty well-read. 

And we had a few Jewish classmates.  I honestly believe that a part of the motivation for it was just to be "naughty" and to sort of parody the ridiculousness of it, as opposed to any actual ill will toward Jews.  It is quite possible that some degree of anti-Semitism hardened in some of us later in life.  Most of the racist talk and joking around was like that, although it may have had more sinister origins.

Take a tour of the Holocaust museum as a teenager, and have your tour guide roll up his sleeve at the end and show you the number tattooed on his arm.  It leaves a mark, in a good way.

• Hook 'Em 3

15 minutes ago, conVINCEd said:

Take a tour of the Holocaust museum as a teenager, and have your tour guide roll up his sleeve at the end and show you the number tattooed on his arm.  It leaves a mark, in a good way.

I mean, we grew up in the era of the Holocaust miniseries, but such things didn't explain the various specific alleged justifications for anti-Semitism.  We knew it existed in some abstract, theoretical way, and that Nazis engaged in it to the point of genocide, but we had no idea what was the basis of it:  blood libel, Christ killers, stingy moneylenders, none of that shit.

Nor did I ever hear any Catholic slurs bandied about in real life until I started living with Jesuit grads in college and we called each other dirty papists and prod heretics all the time, with an occasional mackerel snapper that I got from my friend whose mother was Catholic.

3 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

I mean, we grew up in the era of the Holocaust miniseries, but such things didn't explain the various specific alleged justifications for anti-Semitism.  We knew it existed in some abstract, theoretical way, and that Nazis engaged in it to the point of genocide, but we had no idea what was the basis of it:  blood libel, Christ killers, stingy moneylenders, none of that shit.

Nor did I ever hear any Catholic slurs bandied about in real life until I started living with Jesuit grads in college and we called each other dirty papists and prod heretics all the time, with an occasional mackerel snapper that I got from my friend whose mother was Catholic.

That’s fair.  As an impressionable 8th grader who had just read The Diary of Anne Frank, it left an impression that will never go away.

Just saw the long, dirty toenails and khaki shorts defense was deployed. That’ll certainly resonate with some of the jurors. 

Since the Simulation is getting more and more bold, I’ll predict a hung jury, riots, with multiple Kyle Rittenhouses coming to the rescue to put down the negro insurrection.

IIRC everyone here was freaking out when Derek Chauvin's jury went into the second day, and they came back with guilty on all counts.

One of the jurors later said that they could have had a guilty verdict in 15 minutes, but there were multiple jurors who wanted to go through the jury charge/instructions and make sure they had all the details checked.

11 hours ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

Brisket started a long thread on the shit like this from our childhood....

"Ding-dong-ditch" was not always called that. (And that's a stupid name, but of course better than the old one.)

About 80 percent* of males young and old in the Houston of the '80s had some kind of night-stick type club within reach in their cars / trucks that had a name remarkably similar to that of the prank above.

You'd hear expressions like "busier than a pair of jumper cables at a nine-car n****r funeral" every so often.

My maternal grandfather would not say hard-r in front of ladies but he would when we were alone. In an '80s version of owning the Libs he would say "darkies" and "nigras" in front of his wife and daughters. 

I'd say at school, casually anti-Semitic language was far more common than racist talk. It wasn't considered cool, and there were enough Black kids there to where we all at least got along with some of them or maybe were even friends. I used to think there was one Jew at that school in the four years I was there -- I mean, his last name is Marx -- but I looked him up and he is now a Russian Orthodox priest so there goes that idea.  

Yep.  It amazes me...

1 -- how much casual racism I saw/was exposed to just growing up in and around "the south."  So many racist terms were just standards of speech, few people even batted an eye.

2 -- how much casual racism I PARTICIPATED in when I was young.  For the most part, it was unknowing/ignorant.  For another part, especially by high school and college age, it was in the interest of juvenile "that's just wrong!!" outrageous "humor" (e.g., had a buddy who was SUPER-frugal in college....so we added "stein" to the end of his last name when he would pull a cheap move).  And on at least some level, some of it was knowing, insensitive, and shitty.  You and I aren't free of sin in that regard, and we both know it.

3 -- how much OTHER people growing up in Texas, perhaps in more sheltered lives, more upper-class existence, etc., didn't experience as much of 1 and 2 as you and I did.

Race is complicated shit.  When you look back and realize how it has been and still is woven through and permeates so many of our social interactions, social standards, and the like, it really is staggering.

Oh, and as "exposed to it" as I was, I got some "next level" shit when I married my wife, whose father is from poor, rural E. Texas.  That's the first time I heard the alternate name for brazil nuts, as just one example (he also would occasionally drop an N word with a hard R in other conversation -- we put a stop to that shit, especially once we had kids around).  And by that point in my life, I was mature and wise enough for it to hit me straight up as "nope, that shit is fucked up."

• Hook 'Em 3

16 hours ago, fattyflattie said:

Same. 

Wait, can’t use brothas now.  Thought that was a (true) term of endearment that crossed over the lines.  Makes note. 

I was in my 30’s before I learned what a Brazil nut was. Happened on the same day I heard the “other” name for it.  

Whites can say "brother" but it's gotta be a hard R and annunciated like Hulk Hogan.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 3

10 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

And we had a few Jewish classmates.  I honestly believe that a part of the motivation for it was just to be "naughty" and to sort of parody the ridiculousness of it, as opposed to any actual ill will toward Jews.  It is quite possible that some degree of anti-Semitism hardened in some of us later in life.  Most of the racist talk and joking around was like that, although it may have had more sinister origins

One of my Jewish friends begs me to tell him any anti-Semitic jokes I've heard recently. I've told him five or ten over the years and usually he tells me the punchline before I get there. He's heard them all and loves them. 

• Hook 'Em 2

12 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

12 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

It’s THE basis for an appeal. As far as questions of law go, that’s the determinative one.

Yup. I didn't mean to suggest that no potentially legitimate (though almost certainly losing) basis for appeal exists. I was simply pointing out that "the jury didn't take long enough" isn't one of them. Non-lawyers may not realize that the jury deliberations are essentially a black box that cannot be opened or challenged (courts have carved out a very very small number of exceptions, and even those aren't readily accepted everywhere). 

Glynn County has a different makeup than your average bumfuck Georgia county (and there are a lot of those, second in the nation only to Texas in number) because it contains coastal resort communities that are home to retirees, rich folks, transplants, etc. Brunswick is actually a pretty cool little town with a hipstery area of breweries and restaurants and arts etc. I’m hoping that helps in terms of the jury pool.

As far as the local govt and general mix of racist pieces of shit, yeah Glynn has that too. West Glynn is full of a whole lot of nothing, and that Deep South Georgia / Northern Florida thing is pretty fucked up.

Looks like the verdict should be coming back right as I'm sitting down to dinner with the in-laws so I can hear the spin he gets from his favorite news programs.  If FIL doesn't end the diatribe with, "Well if he'd've just complied, he'd still be alive...now we probably gonna have us another race war.", I'll give up alcohol for the whole long weekend.  

Edited by Lobo

6 minutes ago, Lobo said:

Looks like the verdict should be coming back right as I'm sitting down to dinner with the in-laws so I can hear the spin he gets from his favorite news programs.  If FIL doesn't end the diatribe with, "Well if he'd've just complied, he'd still be alive...now we probably gonna have us another race war.", I'll give up alcohol for the whole long weekend.  

You’re good to drink the whole weekend.