Ex Cop and son kill unarmed black man jogging

purplepride95

2 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

No problem there. I put rapists in the same category as murderers, whether it happens in a frat house or a prison shower. 

Yeah, if you rape someone in your dorm room or in your pod you are still someone who penetrates another person against their will.  You are a piece of shit and it should never be encouraged or applauded.  

6 minutes ago, Cousin Strawberry said:

Barnhill is a total pussy.

When you consider also that Cooper-Jones called his office to let him know she had learned that Barnhill’s son also knew the McMs yep yep yep.This was before he was forced to recuse himself imo. 

Guest Lobo
7 minutes ago, Cousin Strawberry said:

Yeah, if you rape someone in your dorm room or in your pod you are still someone who penetrates another person against their will.  You are a piece of shit and it should never be encouraged or applauded.  

Fair point.  Obviously my comments can be taken as ‘encouragement’ to the numerous inmates of the Georgia corrections system who peruse surlyhorns.com on a regular basis.  Dude, nobody is gonna read this.  Shit we spew out on here isn’t really going to effect other’s behavior.  I don’t really encourage this in real life.  
Anyway, I have a feeling these guys are gonna get off on a mistrial because of how many entities are already involved in this investigation.

i Am surprised at how many national outlets are running with this story at/near the top.  It’s encouraging but could also be used later on by them to whine about jury selection.  

I don’t applaud anything about this IRL.  Except that the father should feel absolutely awful that he just ruined his son’s life.  

I'm not saying they're not, I'm just saying it's generally a good idea to have extra layers of impartiality in cases like this. The Rangers might be susceptible to state politics, but they're generally not going to be susceptible to internal PD politics at a local level which is what would be most important in a case like this.

bb199c6476837539e8a1562150f9092b.jpg
  • Like 4

I can’t believe how many of y’all go snooping in residential construction sites. It’s the kind of shit I’d expect from busy bodies on next door. People just can’t help themselves from sticking their nose in other people’s’ business.

(I feel like I have to add that I’m not defending these vigilantes. If someone is trespassing, call the cops, tell the owner, or just mind your business. The vigilantes should be prosecuted.)

• Like 3

5 hours ago, CDAK said:

I can’t believe how many of y’all go snooping in residential construction sites. It’s the kind of shit I’d expect from busy bodies on next door. People just can’t help themselves from sticking their nose in other people’s’ business.

(I feel like I have to add that I’m not defending these vigilantes. If someone is trespassing, call the cops, tell the owner, or just mind your business. The vigilantes should be prosecuted.)

No one in our neighborhood gives a shit if you walk into a new home construction site.The neighbors couldn’t care less, the builders couldn’t care less, and the contractors couldn’t care less. No one gets shot. 

Walking into a house undergoing renovations however would be a different story. 

• Like 3

Btw the fiancé of the guy who took the video says they fear for their lives and are living in their car. She says they had nothing to do with it and just happened to witness it.

There also has been a black man arrested for creating a hoax Facebook page that was threatening future protests related to AA’s murder.

21 minutes ago, Buzzrock said:

Btw the fiancé of the guy who took the video says they fear for their lives and are living in their car. She says they had nothing to do with it and just happened to witness it.

boo fucking hoo - dude should be sitting in a jail cell right now anyways

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Buzzrock said:

There also has been a black man arrested for creating a hoax Facebook page that was threatening future protests related to AA’s murder.

Oh no, I hope he doesn't feel unsafe to walk outside - I can't imagine how awful it must be to have to constantly look over your shoulder for whack-jobs that want to cause you harm.

• Like 7

3 hours ago, Buzzrock said:

It was pondered up thread but it shouldn’t be hard for a competent attorney to gather a jury of AA’s true peers in South Georgia.

By population numbers I'm sure.  But like voter suppression, there are a number of factors involved in pulling in jurors (do they use registered voters or something else, how do they summon them, etc.) that can make it difficult for a defendant of color to get peers and entirely too easy for a white defendant to get a sympathetic one, despite the efforts of the attorneys to skew the jury one way or another.

I'd like to believe that is not the case in all but the most backwoods jurisdictions, but I can be naively optimistic sometimes.

11 hours ago, Player said:

bb199c6476837539e8a1562150f9092b.jpg

We have to face the fact that ALL leo, from the top of the heap to the bottom, are potentially corrupt and incompetent.  Yes, that includes the FBI as well as the local elected sheriff and his hired minions and every agency in between.  No one gets a pass or even the benefit of the doubt, necessarily.  "Corrupt" in this case not necessarily meaning on the take, but rather racist, or pursuing some political or other agenda unrelated to truth and "justice."

But, each level of removal from the "native" cops probably adds a layer of "fairness" even if none of the agencies (or all of them) are systemically corrupted.  I think "staties" probably ought to be looking into their local feds from time to time, and I think that's what happened in the Bulger case, a la The Departed and Black Mass.

Edited by TwiceHorn
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Captainant said:

Oh no, I hope he doesn't feel unsafe to walk outside - I can't imagine how awful it must be to have to constantly look over your shoulder for whack-jobs that want to cause you harm.

Thank you for pointing this out, those of us with ex-wives live in constant fear. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

https://www.motherjones.com/crime-justice/2020/05/ahmaud-arbery-georgia-jogger-george-barnhill-olivia-pearson-voter-fraud-charges/

Turns out kind hearted DA Barnhill with a soft spot for gut shots to joggers is actually pretty tough when it comes to voter fraud charges, trying a lady twice for showing a first time voter how the electronic polling machines work.  This is very surprising, my dudes.

Skip to main content

MAY 9, 2020

He Didn’t File Charges in the Arbery Case. But He Spent Years Accusing a Black Grandma of Voter Fraud.

DA George E. Barnhill threatened her with 15 years in prison.

ahmaud.jpg?w=990

Artist Theo Ponchaveli paints a mural of the likeness of Ahmaud Arbery in Dallas.Tony Gutierrez/AP

For indispensable reporting on the coronavirus crisis and more, subscribe to Mother Jones' newsletters.

Olivia Pearson knows what it’s like to be caught up in the criminal justice system in southern Georgia. In 2016, a local district attorney’s office indicted Pearson, a Black grandmother and civil rights activist, on felony voter fraud charges and threatened her with years in prison after she helped a first-time voter who didn’t know how to use an electronic voting machine.

The district attorney who pursued her case was none other than George E. Barnhill—a guy in the news this week for having failed to prosecute the men who killed jogger Ahmaud Arbery, a 25-year-old unarmed Black man.

“For the district attorney’s office to not charge these gentlemen, I couldn’t believe that,” Pearson told me this week from her home in Douglas, before pausing a moment: “Then again, I could believe it.”

In late February, Arbery was jogging down a shaded residential road in Satilla Shores, Georgia, when two white men in a truck pulled over in front of him and shot him. When a video of the killing went viral on Tuesday, the case sparked national outrage—especially after it came to light that Barnhill sat on the evidence for weeks without pressing charges. In a memo to police, Barnhill concluded that the men had acted in self-defense and did not violate any laws because they believed Arbery fit the description of a burglar.

Joe Biden said Arbery was “essentially lynched before our very own eyes.”

On Thursday, after former Georgia gubernatorial candidate Stacey Abrams described the killing as “murder” and former Vice President Joe Biden said Arbery was “essentially lynched before our very own eyes,” the Georgia Bureau of Investigation arrested the two men. Gregory McMichael and his son Travis are now charged with murder and aggravated assault. On Friday, the Atlanta Journal-Constitution reported that Gregory McMichael, a former police officer, previously worked with Barnhill’s son, a prosecutor in the Brunswick DA’s office, to bring a criminal case against Arbery at some point before McMichael retired last year.

Barnhill recused himself from the case of Arbery’s killing because of this conflict of interest. But his reluctance to press charges has kept his name in the spotlight. “I can’t answer what another agency did or didn’t see,” Vic Reynolds, director of the Georgia Bureau of Investigation, said in reference to Barnhill’s office during a press conference. “But I can tell you that…probable cause [for an arrest] was clear to our agents pretty quickly.”

For Pearson, hearing Barnhill’s name in the news again brought the memories of her own case flooding back. In 2012, Pearson was a longtime city commissioner who often ferried people in Douglas to the polls. On the first day of early voting that year, during a visit to the local elections office, a 21-year-old Black woman named Diewanna Robinson asked Pearson for assistance with the electronic voting machine. Pearson says she told Robinson where to insert her card into the machine, and instructed her to follow the prompts. Pearson then walked away before Robinson began filling out her ballot.

Pearson didn’t think much of the encounter—but it would come back to haunt her. Four years later, after a voter fraud investigation by the secretary of state’s office, Barnhill’s office decided to have Pearson arrested for the incident. When Pearson assisted Robinson, poll workers had asked her to sign a form allowing her to help someone struggling with the machines; she did so, not realizing that by adding her signature, she was agreeing to help only those who were disabled or illiterate. (Robinson was neither.) The district attorney’s office charged Pearson with felony voter fraud and threatened her with 15 years in prison. The day she was indicted, “I was just devastated,” she told me over the phone this week.

Barnhill’s office brought Pearson to trial for alleged voter fraud twice, before she was ultimately acquitted.

Though Georgia has a reputation for passing strict voter rules, it was highly unusual for a prosecutor’s office to pursue charges for such minor violations, as Josie Duffy Rice pointed out in an op-ed for the New York Times. From 2014 to mid-2017, the state investigated about 154 instances of alleged voter fraud, and just 10 were referred to a prosecutor, according to BuzzFeed, which brought national attention to Pearson’s case in 2016. Most of those cases were dismissed or closed without a ruling. But Barnhill’s office brought Pearson to trial not once but twice, before she was acquitted.

Pearson’s lawyers accused the district attorney’s office of taking Pearson to court to intimidate Black voters. The office also brought voter fraud charges against at least three other community members around the same time. Pearson believed prosecutors targeted her because of her political activism: She was the first Black woman elected to the city commission in 1999. Her mother was a top official with the local NAACP and helped sue the city in the 1970s to gain better political representation for Black residents. One of Barnhill’s deputies, prosecutor Ian Sansot, who oversaw the litigation against Pearson, denied any improper motive in the case, and argued he was just following the law and doing his job. At trial, he appeared to mock Pearson’s concerns about racial bias, according to BuzzFeed: “Isn’t it true that you think everyone who disagrees with you on this matter is a racist hater?” he asked. “No, sir,” she replied. But she added that she did believe race played a role in the decision to charge her.

“What hurts the most is: Douglas is home. I’ve worked in this community trying to do good for people all my life.”

Though Pearson was ultimately acquitted, the litigation took a toll on her health. She says she fell into a depression that she has struggled to emerge from. She ran for city commissioner again in 2019, and won, but she remains disheartened at how the city responded to her attempts to help Black voters all those years ago. “What hurts the most is: Douglas is home. I’ve worked in this community trying to do good for people all my life,” she tells me. “Achieving justice in south Georgia is a very difficult task when you’ve got people in the district attorney’s office like these people we got.”

On Saturday, Pearson will go to a protest in Arbery’s honor, a four-mile run in Waycross, the town where the district attorney is based. Because of a hip replacement, Pearson, 58, plans to drive the four miles in her charcoal-gray car, with a sign hanging outside that says, “I Run With Maud.”

“It’s so sad that we’re in the 21st century and we’re still going through this kind of stuff,” she told me over the phone, breaking into tears. “I mean, you would think things would get better. It seems like they’re getting worse.”

lol at all the white people on this thread that wouldn't think twice if they saw this guy in their neighborhood going into a house across the street under construction. please. i am sure y'all would be like "oh he must be looking for ideas for a house he wants to build". just cut the bullshit. you can make a fine point that he shouldn't be chased down with guns for it without the stupid nonsense.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, po elvis said:

lol at all the white people on this thread that wouldn't think twice if they saw this guy in their neighborhood going into a house across the street under construction. please. i am sure y'all would be like "oh he must be looking for ideas for a house he wants to build". just cut the bullshit. you can make a fine point that he shouldn't be chased down with guns for it without the stupid nonsense.

Man, I'm serious when I say I wouldn't give a shit.  I've seen people walk into houses in the framing stage a jillion times,. and I've done it myself many times.  I truly wouldn't react one way or the other, unless it was a house near-finish, with appliances and such inside.  It's just a non-issue to me in general, I don't care what the guy looks like.  I mean, if I saw some dude back a pickup up to the site and start loading lumber in it, sure, I might call the cops.  But just walking into an open framing project?  Come on.  Who gives a shit?

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Dr. Beeper said:

If someone points a gun at me, I’m stopping in my tracks. 

I think a black person in that situation would have every reason to believe that no amount of "cooperation" would save his life, since he did nothin wrong, and he could very justifiably believe that these Cleeti were out solely to take his life. That is something I am sure you have never had to consider, same as your ability to talk normally to a police officer during a traffic stop.

Edited by 'stache
  • Like 2

19 minutes ago, po elvis said:

Admittedly, I'd be inherently suspicious of ANY male that enters a construction property on his own, without being dragged inside by the Mrs.  I'm sure I'd be a nosey nellie in such a scenario, but I have quite a few relatives in construction though, so stories of tool theft are the norm.

To your point though, I can't think of anything that a trespasser could do in an empty house--short of setting it on fire--that would make me feel obligated to attempt a citizen's arrest.

I grew up partly in a developing suburban neighborhood of cookie cutter construction. We used to walk through the construction houses a lot just out of curiosity. Sometimes we'd be run off by the neighbors who were probably more concerned about us getting hurt on stray nails or something than trying to steal anything. My dad sometimes would go inside them with me to look around because he was really interested in construction (his father built the house he grew up in himself). There are people who are legitimately curious about construction and/or floorplans or any number of things. I sort of found interesting how spaces are used in floorplans, especially in that neighborhood where the same developers were building homes that were similar but a little different. Just because you may not find it interesting doesn't mean that others shouldn't either. And I'm pretty sure I saw an article that entering a residential construction site isn't a crime under Georgia law if you don't take anything, but is probably discouraged for safety reasons.

6 minutes ago, 'stache said:

I think a black person in that situation would have every reason to believe that no amount of "cooperation" would save his life, since he did nothin wrong, and he could very justifiably believe that these Cleeti were out solely to take his life. That is something I am sure you have never had to consider, same as your ability to talk normally to a police officer during a traffic stop.

Agreed.  What evidence did he have that these two mouthbreathers just wanted to peacefully take him to a police station for questioning, and that he'd easily be able to clear up this simple misunderstanding?  If someone randomly pulls up to me, points a gun at me, and says anything other than, "Give me your wallet and phone," then I'm going to assume that they mean to do me harm, and I'm immediately scanning for ways to escape.  He had every bit as much reason to believe that these fucks wanted to bury him in the hills somewhere as he did that they were just concerned citizens looking out for their neighborhood.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BehoId, The Underminer! said:

https://www.motherjones.com/crime-justice/2020/05/ahmaud-arbery-georgia-jogger-george-barnhill-olivia-pearson-voter-fraud-charges/

Turns out kind hearted DA Barnhill with a soft spot for gut shots to joggers is actually pretty tough when it comes to voter fraud charges, trying a lady twice for showing a first time voter how the electronic polling machines work.  This is very surprising, my dudes.

That's appalling.  I'm offended, but far less so, by the pursuit of the woman in Fort Worth that voted as a felon.  This is a whole other level.

I am sure it's probably not criminal in any state, but I imagine that the developers or whomever probably don't want you there for safety reasons.  I would assume they could have some liability if someone got hurt?  Not taking up for these dumbfucks, but just offering some counterpoint to this lookie loo crowd that keeps saying no one cares.  

3 minutes ago, Gene Parmesan said:

I am sure it's probably not criminal in any state, but I imagine that the developers or whomever probably don't want you there for safety reasons.  I would assume they could have some liability if someone got hurt?  Not taking up for these dumbfucks, but just offering some counterpoint to this lookie loo crowd that keeps saying no one cares.  

Yeah, lots of people do it for completely innocent reasons.

There's also legitimate reasons a property owner or contractor might not want them there beyond fear of theft or vandalism.

It is, overall, a neutral factor.

Guest Lobo

There's substantial caselaw (not sure about Georgia obviously) that protects builders/owners/GC's/et. al. when it comes to strangers wandering onto/into an active site.  Provided you've made reasonable efforts to shut the area off (fencing/Tenax/meshing/screening), some kinda locking mechanism, etc.  Doesn't have to be bank vault worthy, but you gotta do something beyond just some plywood with a sign that says "Keep Out." 

I can honestly say that I see people do this all the time in our neighborhood because we have so many homes that are sold, then gutted while nobody is living there for six months.  People go and check it out at the window.  We live right by the Austin HQ for a massive employer and their guys go on walks throughout our 'hood during lunch and you see them doing the same thing too.  And those guys are black, asian, hispanic, et. al.  Nobody bats an eye.  We have 20-30 laborers in the neighborhood at any one given time and I've never thought anything those guys walking to/from the park at lunch time, looking at other homes under construction.  But yeah, we've got plenty of people called in for looking into homes/wandering into yards where people were living and home at the time.  And I would call something like that in, absolutely.  

But the thing I didn't think about until it was brought up a few posts ago, is Arson.  If there was a string of arsonists in my area and I saw this guy wandering into a house in the "kindling phase" of construction...I would probably have called 911 and even followed him (sans weapon, no call for that at all).  Maybe the defense will try to claim something crazy like that, can't see what else they have to lean on at this point since the "break-ins" timelines doesn't really match up.  

1 minute ago, Lobo said:

There's substantial caselaw (not sure about Georgia obviously) that protects builders/owners/GC's/et. al. when it comes to strangers wandering onto/into an active site.  Provided you've made reasonable efforts to shut the area off (fencing/Tenax/meshing/screening), some kinda locking mechanism, etc.  Doesn't have to be bank vault worthy, but you gotta do something beyond just some plywood with a sign that says "Keep Out." 

If you guys are bypassing barriers to look at new construction I'd say that's a whole new level, and you certainly can't claim that nobody cares at that point.  

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Dr. Beeper said:

I’ve admitted as much. People negging me want to think I’m victim blaming. I’m not. 

You may not be intending to victim blame, but your words are in fact victim blaming. I think you might be trying to make a simple cause-effect factual statement. "If he had put his hands up and cooperated he'd be alive." One could make similar factual statements about many date rapes. "If she hadn't flirted with him she would not have been raped." From a factual cause-effect analysis, these statements might be true, but in both situations, the cause-effect fact analysis is absolutely irrelevant. The jogger had no reason to believe that these guys "just wanted to talk" just as the girl had no idea that the guy she flirted with was a rapist. It may simply be cause and effect in your mind, but the statement directly addresses the action of the victim and is reasonably interpreted by others as trying to analyze blame based on the acts or omissions of the victim.

Edited by 'stache
  • Like 7

1 hour ago, po elvis said:

I literally wouldn’t even notice, let alone care.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Dr. Beeper said:

Makes perfect sense. He didn’t cause this. His death isn’t his fault.  Could he have prevented his death by stopping and throwing his hands up, as bullshit as that would’ve been?  Maybe, maybe not. 

geeze dude, maybe he should not have worn that revealing skirt and blue eyeliner and enrolled at Baylor if he did not want to get raped kilt.  I thought you backed off this stance way earlier in the thread, but nope still full bore "if he would have just complied with nice men pointing guns and chasing him he would be alive"  

1 hour ago, Gene Parmesan said:

Oh, we're not saying it's a perfect 0 on the meter...it just doesn't move it much.  Just like someone going a few miles over the speed limit doesn't usually warrant much.

1 hour ago, TwiceHorn said:

Yeah, lots of people do it for completely innocent reasons.

There's also legitimate reasons a property owner or contractor might not want them there beyond fear of theft or vandalism.

It is, overall, a neutral factor.

Generally this.

1 hour ago, Gene Parmesan said:

If you guys are bypassing barriers to look at new construction I'd say that's a whole new level, and you certainly can't claim that nobody cares at that point.  

But yeah, if it's a fenced site and you're bypassing that, then it goes up a notch.  If I saw a locked and fenced site and saw someone shimmy through and go inside, I'd look at it differently.  We're just addressing basic human nature here.  An open house in the middle of framing, that you can just walk into and scope out the floorplan....any number of folks have done that, with no ill intentions. We grade by our own experience.  And in my experience, folks will step into a framed house to check things out with some regularity.  Even if it falls on the technically wrong side of the law or manners, it really doesn't move the needle.  Because I've driven 70 in a 65, too.  I don't look at people who've done that as heinous lawbreakers who need to be run down and detained, either.  

If the sole basis for loading up weapons and ambushing and terrifying a person so that a pretty natural and expected outcome occurred was "someone saw him walk into an unfenced house under construction," most of us are saying "WTF?  That's not even close to 'GRAB THE GUNS, CLETUS, WE GOTS US A DANGEROUS CRIMINAL!' worthy."

The Department of Justice said Monday it will consider a request by Georgia's attorney general to review the shooting death of Ahmaud Arbery and assess whether federal hate crime charges should be pursued in the high-profile case.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nbcnews.com/news/amp/ncna1204531

it’s important to note Georgia has no hate crime laws.

More on the trespassing angle (since this will probably be a part of the defense case)

On Feb. 11, another call was made to 911 by someone who said he had caught a man trespassing in a house. The caller, who said he had not seen the man before, had “just chased him” and was sitting outside the house, waiting for police to respond, in a red Ford 150 pickup, the same kind of truck that Travis McMichael reported a weapon stolen from weeks earlier.
——————

Since last August, there had been at least three calls to police about a man trespassing on a property in the neighborhood, according to documents released by the Glynn County Police Department in response to a public records request. In the weeks before the shooting, Travis McMichael had also called to report that a firearm had been stolen from his truck.

In October, a caller reported that a man had been seen on a camera system for a property that was being built in the neighborhood. In November, the same caller again reported something similar. The names of the callers were redacted from the reports.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nytimes.com/2020/05/08/us/ahmaud-arbery-shooting-georgia.amp.html

—————————————————-

Feb. 11

Officers with the Glynn County Police Department had been called to the Satilla Shores neighborhood three times since October 2019 for reports of a trespasser on the construction site of a new home being built nearby the McMichaels' house, according to police reports obtained by ABC News.

On Feb. 11, the owner of the construction site told police that the same "unknown black male" kept trespassing on his property, which has surveillance cameras, according to a police report. That alleged suspect was described as a "lighter skinned black male, slender build" who was between 5-foot-10 and 6-foot and whose arms may have been covered in tattoos and has 3-inch to 4-inch "twists/dreads hairstyle," the report read.

Ahmaud Arbery was 6 feet with a darker skin complexion and a low faded haircut.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/abcnews.go.com/amp/US/events-leading-arrest-men-murder-ahmaud-arbery/story%3fid=70576804

Sorry for the shit cut and paste job. 

3 hours ago, po elvis said:

Where I live in Austin, there's a shitload of constant tear-downs and renovations going on.  Nobody is wandering into renovations, but yeah, with the increase of walking/jogging traffic, plenty of people are constantly poking their heads into the houses under construction, and nobody cares (we are two blocks from such a house, and go by it a few times a day, and see people looking all the time).  We have a lot of minorities as well (lot of hospital folks, UT folks, a couple of former UT athletes, etc.), so maybe that changes things compared to other neighborhoods, but still, the only time anybody bitches about any of it on Nextdoor, Facebook, etc. is when the construction workers are loud/early.

Speaking of, and given that it's Austin, many of the people building the houses are....possibly not even residents of our country.  Maybe that changes the equation compared to some place like Georgia, I dunno.

Would people bitch/report it if some dude backed his truck up after hours to a house being built and started loading up?  Yep.  Walking around and looking, nope.

8 minutes ago, Zepol87 said:

How in the fuck does Georgia have no hate crime laws? 

I think that was the main reason why Arbery’s family/supporters wanted this moved to the DOJ because of federal hate crime laws. Well that and the local screwiness going on with the case from day one. 

1 hour ago, David Dennison said:

White people exploring new construction is one of the more common things you'll see in suburban America. We did it all the time growing up in Houston. No one cared. No one cares now.

This is the truth. I find the responses about "GETTING IN OTHER PEOPLE'S BUSINESS" humorous. It's an empty lot with a concrete slab and some framing on it. It's owned by the developer, it's not fenced, there is no signage on it telling you to stay out. And that's getting in someone's business? Ha.