Ex Cop and son kill unarmed black man jogging

purplepride95

2 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

And a reminder that federal hate crime charges remain pending.  I honestly think those need to drop if the convictions are affirmed on appeal.

So that the future governor of Georgia, a guy who makes Brian Kemp look reasonable, can pardon them and let their asses go free?  No fucking thank you.

56 minutes ago, Lobo said:

I would think the Dad is smart enough to request he be placed in a separate facility from his son.  I know he feels he can protect his son more if he's in there with them on the same Block.  But deep down, he shouldn't see what's going to happen to his son because of him.  That's the worst part of his punishment.  And he deserves it 1000x fold.

I worked in New Jersey State Prison for a few years. A dad and his son were both incarcerated there for a mob-related murder. They lived in separate units. I was talking to the son, who was complaining about his current cellmate, and I asked him about bunking with his father. He replied, "Can you imagine anything worse than waking up every day in prison and seeing your dad?" Fair point. 

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Brothahorn said:

Who is the future Governor?

And stop being so dang dreadful. You were predicting they would walk and they didn't. Now you've got the next Governor letting them go.

bd79b5ffe2338d40cf84afeb45e4623c.gif

8 minutes ago, Dahobbs said:

I don't recall that post from @Brisketexan. He said there was reason to be concerned, and there was. 

Correct.  I did not predict that they would walk, I said that I was concerned.  Based on the hard evidence of the local elected officials covering this shit up and not bringing charges.  That's pretty fucking good cause for concern.

And if you don't think that crooked ass fucks will pardon the worst of people in order to score political points with their base, I've got a Sheriff Joe Arpaio and Paul Manafort outside who would love to gloat.

40 minutes ago, TexasEd said:

The critical evidence in the McMichael trial was the video and the testimony that they were chasing him for 5 minutes, they did not let him get away until it was elevated to conflict

And that's a helluva lot of time for them to have backed down multiple times and let him go. Hard for the jury to ignore that. 

Correct.  I did not predict that they would walk, I said that I was concerned.  Based on the hard evidence of the local elected officials covering this shit up and not bringing charges.  That's pretty fucking good cause for concern.
And if you don't think that crooked ass fucks will pardon the worst of people in order to score political points with their base, I've got a Sheriff Joe Arpaio and Paul Manafort outside who would love to gloat.

I apologize for the misattributed response.

However I still want to know who this Governor is that is going to pardon two murderers. And using Arapaio and Manafort as examples, who last I checked were not convicted murderers, is silly. And very chicken little.

Be Less Gloomy.
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Dahobbs said:

I don't recall that post from @Brisketexan. He said there was reason to be concerned, and there was. 

He’s talked the whole thread about one juror sets em free , Will they get convicted ? one juror sets em free, one juror sets em free.

He doesn’t need white knighting by you. 

The trial turned out the way it should have, thank Ullr for video evidence or it probably wouldn’t have.

Edited by Onboard 2.0
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, honolulu horn said:

I worked in New Jersey State Prison for a few years. A dad and his son were both incarcerated there for a mob-related murder. They lived in separate units. I was talking to the son, who was complaining about his current cellmate, and I asked him about bunking with his father. He replied, "Can you imagine anything worse than waking up every day in prison and seeing your dad?" Fair point. 

Hot damn, son.  You suck cock better than your momma.  

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, WillUSAF said:

I've seen a good amount of this case but apparently I am missing something. What fucked up thing did the DA do?

And here's the letter that the Waycross DA, George Barnhill, wrote to the Glynn County Police advising against arresting any of the three defendants.

https://www.documentcloud.org/documents/6884019-Waycross-DA-Letter-on-Arbery-Shooting-Jp

Barnhill was given the case by the indicted Glynn County DA after she sought his assistance and to ensure that the case would go nowhere. 

• Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, Brothahorn said:

I apologize for the misattributed response.

However I still want to know who this Governor is that is going to pardon two murderers. And using Arapaio and Manafort as examples, who last I checked were not convicted murderers, is silly. And very chicken little.

Be Less Gloomy.

5% of the country is addicted to being outraged online. Because no one really is spreading disinformation or arguing about this case, classic fallback to hysterics and conspiracy theories. Everything no matter the result always means:  

Scooby Doo Halloween GIF

• Hook 'Em 1

I never really saw (and still am not seeing) much support on the right for these 3 once that video came out. It was a clear case of murder. I really doubt even the most conservative governor would ever pardon them, the public demand just isn’t there. Sure plenty of racist idiots want them to walk but most people clearly want them locked away for a long time.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 3

13 minutes ago, Harrison Bergeron said:

5% of the country is addicted to being outraged online. Because no one really is spreading disinformation or arguing about this case, classic fallback to hysterics and conspiracy theories. Everything no matter the result always means:  

Scooby Doo Halloween GIF

WAY more than 5%...more like 35-40% imo

• Hook 'Em 1

And here's the letter that the Waycross DA, George Barnhill, wrote to the Glynn County Police advising against arresting any of the three defendants.
https://www.documentcloud.org/documents/6884019-Waycross-DA-Letter-on-Arbery-Shooting-Jp
Barnhill was given the case by the indicted Glynn County DA after she sought his assistance and to ensure that the case would go nowhere. 

200.gif

Ummm….conspiracy theory? Read the letter linked above. A letter actually written by the actual DA for the actual purpose of ensuring that the murderers skate.

That you can see, in black and white, how the criminal justice system in Glynn County works, and NOT be pissed? Well, that’s a real fucking problem.

And know that the ONLY reason the outcome was any different than ordered by the corrupt DA was because the video got our. That’s it. But for that, and the plan in that letter is complete, and these murderers are walking free.
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Genco said:

Among other things, that guy can't write for shit.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

Boo this man.  Fucking BOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I know this response is half-sarcastic, but I feel like I should explain.  First, I think the federal criminal code covers far too much shit.  Cases where federal and state criminal statutes and jurisdiction overlap should be few and far between and there should be a strong and easily articulated federal purpose behind any federal criminal statute, and especially one that overlaps significantly with a state issue, like murder, agg assault, and false imprisonment.

Related to that is we have the "dual sovereign" system where there is no double jeopardy for trying people for even identical crimes at both the state and federal level.  That can have pretty draconian results, which is recognized by the feds who typically will not charge or prosecute when there is a state prosecution, just as a matter of policy, not because the law requires it.  If the feds had stuck to their knitting on 18 USC, this wouldn't be much of an issue, as feds could rarely prosecute the same crimes as states.

Third, I rather disagree with "hate crime" legislation in the first place, depending on how it's implemented.  This is especially true for the reasons articulated in my first paragraph.  Federal hate crime legislation was passed as a general pander to the civil rights types (ignoring the fact that a new criminal law should be an affront to most civil rights types).  There is almost zero special federal interest in prosecuting common law crimes like murder as hate crimes just because there may be a racial element to them.

So, I'm not changing my views on these issues because the McMichaels are extra-special fuckheads.

Nor am I particularly persuaded by brisket's raising of a possible state pardon that a federal prosecution and conviction might avoid.

Edited by TwiceHorn
  • Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Genco said:

3 hours ago, Cajun said:

I had no clue about this...this is fucking bullshit!!!!  Isn't this just one of the reasons our judicial system is so fucked up. Prosecutors are ELECTED officials. Why do we elect them? Just so that they can pursue some type of political office? And maybe one of the lawyers here can tell us when we started electing lawyers to office (a serious history question)?

2 hours ago, Genco said:

Makes my blood boil.

So many DAs are the ones who should be locked up.

‘This loser is one of ‘em.

• Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, Genco said:

Whoever wrote the George Floyd recap for the Minny PD the next morning would read that and think "damn."

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Yeah that’s it.  You really have a hard time when your BS gets refuted. That’s  kinda  pathetic.

I'm glad the obviously right outcome occurred. But some of y'all act like the guy that won lottery after spending his life savings on tickets. It worked out for him, but it was still a stupid as fuck decision.  There was clearly a danger of fuckery in this case. You'd be stupid to think otherwise not withstanding the outcome. 

41 minutes ago, wildcat09 said:

Regarding the potential for a future governor of Georgia pardoning these assholes, the last president pardoned multiple war criminals. So it’s less insane to contemplate than we’d like it to be.

I'm not saying it's not a possiblity.  But that could be a big political hit for such a governor. A lot of presidential pardons, and pardons generally, escape notice and political liability because no one knows who these people are or were.  That's not true in this case.  And, I don't think it should govern or dictate broader criminal justice policy, as set out above.

Perhaps there is room for some "situational ethics" here.

Edited by TwiceHorn

I never really saw (and still am not seeing) much support on the right for these 3 once that video came out. It was a clear case of murder. I really doubt even the most conservative governor would ever pardon them, the public demand just isn’t there. Sure plenty of racist idiots want them to walk but most people clearly want them locked away for a long time.
I think you're 100% correct here, but I think the concern is that some people are looking at this case as an example of the system working, while others are looking at the attempted cover-up, the fact that it almost worked, the part that a self-defense claim could have played, and the fact that it could've worked so easily. We were very close to things going very bad.

The latter group sees it as need for change, the former will say they need to quit their bitching.
  • Hook 'Em 1

24 minutes ago, tchookem said:

I think you're 100% correct here, but I think the concern is that some people are looking at this case as an example of the system working, while others are looking at the attempted cover-up, the fact that it almost worked, the part that a self-defense claim could have played, and the fact that it could've worked so easily. We were very close to things going very bad.

The latter group sees it as need for change, the former will say they need to quit their bitching.

bb6.jpg

The system did work, and it was an attempted coverup that almost worked. 

An important take away here is the power of video.   If you're a racist a-hole looking to kill someone, or a racist DA looking to sweep a crime under the rug, you might not want any video around.  

For everyone else, video usually is the light of truth. 

bb6.jpg
An important take away here is the power of video.   If you're a racist a-hole looking to kill someone, or a racist DA looking to sweep a crime under the rug, you might not want any video around.  
But the fact still remains that we have corrupt DAs and racist pieces of shit that are fine with lynchings. There are many people that celebrate this verdict, but want to ignore the systemic racism that allows this justice to be undermined. Those people don't admit racism (who actually does?), but take away that video and some posters are talking about Aubrey the same way they talked about Trayvon Martin.

We were lucky this time. We haven't been so lucky in the past (Trayvon Martin) and we won't always be so lucky in the future.
  • Hook 'Em 2

8 hours ago, Dahobbs said:

I'm glad the obviously right outcome occurred. But some of y'all act like the guy that won lottery after spending his life savings on tickets. It worked out for him, but it was still a stupid as fuck decision.  There was clearly a danger of fuckery in this case. You'd be stupid to think otherwise not withstanding the outcome. 

And I haven’t acted like that yet you still were a Dick.  I’ve called for those losers  to be convicted since day one. And had there been no video there wouldn’t have been a conviction which sucks .

And brisket continually beat the drum of one juror gets the an acquittal. It’s all part of his ledge life angst.

Carry on sir knight.

Edited by Onboard 2.0

1 hour ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

And I haven’t acted like that yet you still were a Dick.  I’ve called for those losers  to be convicted since day one. And had there been no video there wouldn’t have been a conviction which sucks .

And brisket continually beat the drum of one juror gets the an acquittal. It’s all part of his ledge life angst.

Carry on sir knight.

Brisket was right. It would have taken only one juror. But, we won the lottery and didn't have that juror on the panel. Just because the coin came up heads doesn't mean that it didn't have an equal chance of coming of tails. 

• Hook 'Em 1

bb6.jpg

And the fact that there was video - and it took LEAKING that video and the public outrage it caused to get justice, is it’s own problem.

But for horrific videos, these three guys are still walking free. And Derek Chauvin is walking free. One of the pastors working with the Arbery family made a strong point that while we’re making steps towards equal justice, there’s a problem when the burden of proof when it comes to murder of a black man requires video of the crime being committed. That’s a high fucking burden. And for every case like these with video, how many dozens more have no video, so the murderer walks?

This affair demonstrates that yes, the system can function when white power structures victimize black people, but ALL the pieces have to fall perfectly into place for it to do so.

Go have a bowl of oatmeal. Maybe your mom will sprinkle some raisins on it.
You tried to act like brisket wasn’t doing exactly what brothahorn said he was doing the entire thread.
don’t burn yer tongue, get mom to blow on it first.

Please point to my post where I guaranteed these guys would walk. I pointed out a truth, based on the jury pool and the pattern of behavior from the DA that same jury pool elected, that the odds if a juror thinking similarly and causing a mistrial were uncomfortably high compared to elsewhere. I’m glad that the numbers came out in our favor. But that doesn’t change what the elected DA and member of that community did, or what the general sentiment of the Glynn county jury pool looks like.

A video leaked, and it was appalling enough that public outcry led to justice being done. That isn’t a perfect example of the system working. That is an example of the system being dragged into doing the right thing because the evidence was SO overwhelming that the system couldn’t do its usual thing of sweeping shit like this under the rug.
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

And the fact that there was video - and it took LEAKING that video and the public outrage it caused to get justice, is it’s own problem.

But for horrific videos, these three guys are still walking free. And Derek Chauvin is walking free. One of the pastors working with the Arbery family made a strong point that while we’re making steps towards equal justice, there’s a problem when the burden of proof when it comes to murder of a black man requires video of the crime being committed. That’s a high fucking burden. And for every case like these with video, how many dozens more have no video, so the murderer walks?

This affair demonstrates that yes, the system can function when white power structures victimize black people, but ALL the pieces have to fall perfectly into place for it to do so.

Please point to my post where I guaranteed these guys would walk. I pointed out a truth, based on the jury pool and the pattern of behavior from the DA that same jury pool elected, that the odds if a juror thinking similarly and causing a mistrial were uncomfortably high compared to elsewhere. I’m glad that the numbers came out in our favor. But that doesn’t change what the elected DA and member of that community did, or what the general sentiment of the Glynn county jury pool looks like.

A video leaked, and it was appalling enough that public outcry led to justice being done. That isn’t a perfect example of the system working. That is an example of the system being dragged into doing the right thing because the evidence was SO overwhelming that the system couldn’t do its usual thing of sweeping shit like this under the rug.

I said you made the comment numerous times that only one juror would be needed to get them acquittal.

Your posts made the strong implication you did believe that would very very possibly be the outcome.

but hey circle up the wagons boys.

I said you made the comment numerous times that only one juror would be needed to get them acquittal.

Your posts made the strong implication you did believe that would very very possibly be the outcome.
but hey circle up the wagons boys.

Yes, that’s what I said - it was a real possibility here, and a higher risk than it would be in other jurisdictions.

As an illustration of my reasoning, in most places, there’s a 5% chance of a shitty racist holdout juror. In Glynn county, there’s a 25% chance. In both cases, the odds are in favor of conviction. But in Glynn county, the odds of a mistrial are 5X the odds elsewhere. And….a 25% chance of a shitty outcome makes me nervous. You’d be a shitload more nervous going into a surgery with a 25% chance of killing you than you would for a surgery with a 5% chance of killing you (I sure your as hell would be).

Just because you successfully wake up from both doesn’t mean that the 25% surgery wasn’t risky and nerve-wracking, and it sure doesn’t mean that the risks of both surgeries were equal because hey, you woke up, what’s the big deal?

The patient pulled through in Glynn county. I’m happy. But that’s no excuse to ignore the high risk points that occurred at multiple places in this procedure.