Top 25 NCAA Coaching Hires in Past 25 Years

Iceman

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/29108472/ranking-25-best-college-basketball-coaching-hires-last-25-years

Big XII Noteables:

4. Bill Self- Kansas 2003

9. Chris Beard- Texas Tech 2016

10. Bob Huggins- West Virginia 2007

12. Scott Drew- Baylor 2003

13. Shaka Smart- VCU 2009( now at Texas)

17. Fred Hoiberg- Iowa State 2010

22. Jamie Dixon- Pittsburgh 2003( now at TCU)

1 minute ago, Brian Fantana said:

Lol @ the notations on Shaka @ Dixon

I figured some would bitch if I didn't list them since they are in the Big XII now.  Some are not gonna like that they were listed at all.

Scott Drew's been at Baylor for 17 years?  That surprised me...

1 hour ago, CurlyDumps said:

Is this dude trying to troll Derka and/or Texas fans? 

But seriously, not having Barnes on that list over names like Shaka and Penny Hardaway (???) is a massive oversight.

it's laughable. What Barnes did for Texas basketball > any Big XII coach on that list not named Self, and yes that includes Beard. Beard has YEARS of building his program and/or a national title to win before he does for his Tech what Barnes did for Texas. Shit, Barnes has done more for Tennessee than a bunch of names on that list, including Shaka Smart at VCU. just a joke of a list. 

Edited by Goo Punch

Shaka was literally the 4th best coach at VCU betweeen himself, Capel, Grant, and Wade. The one notable thing he's ever done as a coach should have never been able to happen anyway, as that final four team *clearly* should not have been let into the NCAA tourney (they finished 4th in the Colonial Athletic Association, and ended the season losing 4 of their last 6, including losses to #93 Drexel, #106 James Madison, and an 11 point loss to #194 Northeastern). But yeah, what an AMAZING hire that was for VCU. 🙄 

1 hour ago, Iceman said:

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/29108472/ranking-25-best-college-basketball-coaching-hires-last-25-years

Big XII Noteables:

4. Bill Self- Kansas 2003

9. Chris Beard- Texas Tech 2016

10. Bob Huggins- West Virginia 2007

12. Scott Drew- Baylor 2003

13. Shaka Smart- VCU 2009( now at Texas)

17. Fred Hoiberg- Iowa State 2010

22. Jamie Dixon- Pittsburgh 2003( now at TCU)

Ask the fans of Texas Tech, WVU, Baylor, ISU, and TCU whose success they'd rather have experienced- what Barnes did at Texas, and what those coaches did at those schools. It's absolutely laughable. 

I didn’t make this personal about Texas, but I’d take Chris Beard over any-fucking-body on that list, or not .  Zero ragrets about what he’s done so far, and potential for the future could not be higher whatsoever.

Edited by Iceman
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Iceman said:

I didn’t make this personal about Texas, but I’d take Chris Beard over any-fucking-body on that list, or not .  Zero ragrets about what he’s done so far, and potential for the future could not be higher whatsoever.

first off, taking Beard over Self is just dumb. Second, that's a list of "best hires", not best coaches. Beard has one shared league title and one national title appearance. all of that is awesome, but it's frankly nothing compared to what Barnes did for Texas as a program. Same with Self at KU (whole he didn't *make* them dominant, he damn sure kept them dominant. imo he's the best regular season coach in NCAAB). all of this is to say, while Beard definitely has been a home run hire for TTU and is deservedly on this list, there's zero argument that he's done more for TTU hoops than Barnes did for Texas hoops, so to leave Barnes off this list when so many other inferior coaches in his own league(s) made the list is just plain dumb. 

Edited by Goo Punch

You're fucking high.

Beard did all of that in 4 fucking years.

Anyhoo, clutch to your pearls, bro.   Literally no-fucking-body aside from your crazy ass would take Barnes over Beard in any scenario right now.  Beard has all but erased Self's recruiting advantage as a blue blood program vs a place out in the middle of West Texas...and the story is hardly over.

I'm not begrudging the ranking of Beard at 9th.  It's all just for conversation, but then you go jump head first into the deep end of an empty pool and yell, "CANNONBALL!!!".

Edited by Iceman

1 hour ago, Goo Punch said:

first off, taking Beard over Self is just dumb. Second, that's a list of "best hires", not best coaches. Beard has one shared league title and one national title appearance. all of that is awesome, but it's frankly nothing compared to what Barnes did for Texas as a program. Same with Self at KU (whole he didn't *make* them dominant, he damn sure kept them dominant. imo he's the best regular season coach in NCAAB). all of this is to say, while Beard definitely has been a home run hire for TTU and is deservedly on this list, there's zero argument that he's done more for TTU hoops than Barnes did for Texas hoops, so to leave Barnes off this list when so many other inferior coaches in his own league(s) made the list is just plain dumb. 

How many title games has Barnes made it to? 

1 hour ago, Iceman said:

You're fucking high.

Beard did all of that in 4 fucking years.

Anyhoo, clutch to your pearls, bro.   Literally no-fucking-body aside from your crazy ass would take Barnes over Beard in any scenario right now.  Beard has all but erased Self's recruiting advantage as a blue blood program vs a place out in the middle of West Texas...and the story is hardly over.

I'm not begrudging the ranking of Beard at 9th.  It's all just for conversation, but then you go jump head first into the deep end of an empty pool and yell, "CANNONBALL!!!".

yeah, you can't even keep up with what we're talking about. i'll repeat it for you one more time, but if you still are too dense to grasp the concept then there's no point in continuing this discussion. so, one more time:

This is not a ranking of the best coaches in college basketball, it's a ranking of the best coaching hires in the last 25 years. in no imaginable way has Chris Beard had a bigger impact on TTU hoops than Rick Barnes did on Texas hoops. The gap is so gargantuan that it's not even remotely up for debate. Nobody is saying that Barnes is a better coach than Beard, I'm pointing out the indisputable fact that Rick Barnes did more for Texas hoops than Chris Beard has done for TTU hoops. Again, it's so far from being even the tiniest bit close than it's not even an argument. If you really can't wrap your head around the difference between "who's a better coach" and "who did/has done more for his program" then that's your own problem. 

53 minutes ago, Helobious said:

How many title games has Barnes made it to? 

explain to me how in your eyes Chris Beard has done more to elevate the status of Texas Tech basketball than Rick Barnes did in elevating the status of Texas Hoops. I'll wait. 

And agin, absolutely none of this is even remotely critical or dismissive of the job Chris Beard has done at Tech. Zero percent. With that said, there's simply no argument that says that he's done more for Tech Hoops than Barnes did for Texas Hoops. Now of course the fact that Beard has only been HC at Tech for four years (with no tourney to play in this year) certainly plays a huge role in that. Knowing where UT was pre-Barnes and where it is now, it would be totally unreasonable to expect any coach to do more for his program in only four (slightly truncated) years than Barnes did during his time at Texas. Beard is the fucking man. But what Barnes did for UT hoops is bigger than most of what made that list. I mean Fred Hoiberg? Really? He did more for ISU than Barnes did for Texas? Come on. 

Edited by Goo Punch

As simple as I can say it:

Take where TTU Basketball was as a program before they hired Chris Beard; look where the program is now, and all that it has accomplished since Beard's hiring.

Take where UT Basketball was as a program before we hired Rick Barnes; look where the program is now, and all that it accomplished after hiring Barnes.

Its not close. TTU is a good story and an up-and-coming program that may be a basketball powerhouse for years to come. The future is super bright for TTU, no doubt a out it.

Texas otoh is a national name, a national brand in college basketball, something that it was not before Barnes, TJ, KD, et al. It took 10+ years of Sweet 16's, All Americans, multiple NPOY's, and eventual NBA All Stars for Texas to reach this profile, but we did it, because of Barnes (and TJ, and KD, and PJ, and LA, et al). Texas jumped a few rungs in the hierarchy of college basketball under Rick Barnes. I'm sure Beard will eventually do the same at TTU. 

29 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:

yeah, you can't even keep up with what we're talking about. i'll repeat it for you one more time, but if you still are too dense to grasp the concept then there's no point in continuing this discussion. so, one more time:

This is not a ranking of the best coaches in college basketball, it's a ranking of the best coaching hires in the last 25 years. in no imaginable way has Chris Beard had a bigger impact on TTU hoops than Rick Barnes did on Texas hoops. The gap is so gargantuan that it's not even remotely up for debate. Nobody is saying that Barnes is a better coach than Beard, I'm pointing out the indisputable fact that Rick Barnes did more for Texas hoops than Chris Beard has done for TTU hoops. Again, it's so far from being even the tiniest bit close than it's not even an argument. If you really can't wrap your head around the difference between "who's a better coach" and "who did/has done more for his program" then that's your own problem. 

Tech was so elite before Beard...Lol

I don’t have to convince you bro. Your insults don’t make you correct either. Beard moved the Tech program infinitely more than your butt buddy Barnes ever  did UT. He was a fantastic hire who has changed everything about Tech basketball in the positive sense. Barnes doesnt even work at Texas any more. 

thanks for fucking up the thread.  You are soooooo reasonable.  Lofl. 

Edited by Iceman

Tech basketball was a total joke before Beard for like 20 years and we were recruiting with the likes of the TCUs of the world. Now we're pulling in recruiting classes that would have been considered impossible just 5 years ago and are expected to be very good every year in a very short period of time. I'm not sure what universe you live in where his impact (i.e. accomplishing more in the NCAA tournament than Barnes ever did in just 3 years) isn't fucking seismic.

That said, of course Barnes should be on the list and I have no clue why he isn't.

7 minutes ago, Iceman said:

Beard moved the Tech program infinitely more than your butt buddy Barnes ever  did UT. 

That's comical. A hilariously bad take. 

Question for the Longhorn fans in here: 

How many of you would trade what we had under Barnes for what Tech has under Beard?

We give them: an entire decade of being a top 10 national program, 17 NCAA tournaments in 18 years, five Sweet 16's in six years, a permanent spot in the upper echelon of national recruiting, TJ Ford, PJ Tucker, LaMarcus Aldridge, DJ Augustin, more than a dozen other NBA players, and most importantly global icon Kevin Durant, whose one year at Texas/subsequent love for Texas is easily the single most important factor in this entire argument.

They give us: 

Four total years of a coach, two of which are really great, and we establish our program as an up-and-coming force in college hoops.

hmm, tough decision.

13 minutes ago, Brian Fantana said:

Tech basketball was a total joke before Beard for like 20 years and we were recruiting with the likes of the TCUs of the world. Now we're pulling in recruiting classes that would have been considered impossible just 5 years ago and are expected to be very good every year in a very short period of time. I'm not sure what universe you live in where his impact (i.e. accomplishing more in the NCAA tournament than Barnes ever did in just 3 years) isn't fucking seismic.

That said, of course Barnes should be on the list and I have no clue why he isn't.

Seismic?? Beard's impact has been "seismic"?? No. The impact of Barnes (and more specifically TJ and KD) has been seismic. 

Texas had no basketball history pre-Barnes. Kansas State had a more legit hoops pedigree than Texas when Rick Barnes was hired. Everybody ignores this fact, but it's true. Before Barnes we had *made* the tournament something like 7-8 times in the previous 30+ years. And yet people act like Texas was a perennial top 25 team before Barnes. Oh and not to mention, the only reason we were even in the market for a new coach was because of a pretty ugly scandal which saw coaches get fired and players transferring. To act like Barnes was stepping into some great situation is ridiculous.

Now then- since Rick Barnes came and left, our program has remained one of the top programs in the country in every way except for winning, which ironically says a lot about how far the program went under Barnes. To wit, college coaches have unanimously called Texas one of the top jobs in the country for years now. Texas was a "nothing" job pre-Barnes. That's why we were able to get "The Guy" when he became available (ugh). Similarly, recruits have continued to come to Texas in a never-ending procession towards Austin on their way to the NBA. Texas is a destination school for recruits and has been for a very long time now. Which leads me to my final point.

What TJ Ford, and particularly Kevin Durant have done to elevate the status of Texas hoops is immeasurable. THEY had a seismic impact on a basketball program. Those two are the reason that Texas remains a destination school despite employing a clown who looks like a muppet as our head coach. Their impact on this program >>>>>>> whatever Beard has done for Tech.l in his four years. He is the man, but it's just not close. Rick Barnes put Texas squarely on the map when he brought TJ and KD to Austin, and we have not fallen off the map since. 

You really think that's what Beard has done in four years? You guys went to one title game and lost. If Chris Beard left next year and was replaced by Shaka Smart, you think TTU would still be among the upper echelon destinations for potential players and coaches? I don't think so. TTU would fade into oblivion if that happened. Texas as a college hoops brand has survived Shaka Smart because of the groundwork laid by Barnes, TJ, and KD. Nothing Beard has done at Tech comes close, and that's not a diss, it's just a fact. 

11 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:

Seismic?? Beard's impact has been "seismic"?? No. The impact of Barnes (and more specifically TJ and KD) has been seismic. 

Texas had no basketball history pre-Barnes. Kansas State had a more legit hoops pedigree than Texas when Rick Barnes was hired. Everybody ignores this fact, but it's true. Before Barnes we had *made* the tournament something like 7-8 times in the previous 30+ years. And yet people act like Texas was a perennial top 25 team before Barnes. Oh and not to mention, the only reason we were even in the market for a new coach was because of a pretty ugly scandal which saw coaches get fired and players transferring. To act like Barnes was stepping into some great situation is ridiculous.

Now then- since Rick Barnes came and left, our program has remained one of the top programs in the country in every way except for winning, which ironically says a lot about how far the program went under Barnes. To wit, college coaches have unanimously called Texas one of the top jobs in the country for years now. Texas was a "nothing" job pre-Barnes. That's why we were able to get "The Guy" when he became available (ugh). Similarly, recruits have continued to come to Texas in a never-ending procession towards Austin on their way to the NBA. Texas is a destination school for recruits and has been for a very long time now. Which leads me to my final point.

What TJ Ford, and particularly Kevin Durant have done to elevate the status of Texas hoops is immeasurable. THEY had a seismic impact on a basketball program. Those two are the reason that Texas remains a destination school despite employing a clown who looks like a muppet as our head coach. Their impact on this program >>>>>>> whatever Beard has done for Tech.l in his four years. He is the man, but it's just not close. Rick Barnes put Texas squarely on the map when he brought TJ and KD to Austin, and we have not fallen off the map since. 

You really think that's what Beard has done in four years? You guys went to one title game and lost. If Chris Beard left next year and was replaced by Shaka Smart, you think TTU would still be among the upper echelon destinations for potential players and coaches? I don't think so. TTU would fade into oblivion if that happened. Texas as a college hoops brand has survived Shaka Smart because of the groundwork laid by Barnes, TJ, and KD. Nothing Beard has done at Tech comes close, and that's not a diss, it's just a fact. 

Dawg, what do you think Tech's basketball history was pre-Beard? A broken backboard against UNC, our best season ever being a sweet 16 appearance? We had nothing, less than even the little Texas had pre-Barnes. To go from that to being a blown defensive assignment away from a national title, and killing it like we have been in recruiting in just 3-4 years is mind boggling.

I get Beard has only been here for 4 years so far but to think that his impact on the program hasn't been swift and seismic is literally insane and I'm not sure there is a single person alive that isn't you that wouldn't agree. The trajectory for our program is likely to mirror the impact Barnes had (hence why it's insane Barnes is not on the list, no argument there) at Texas if he stays for the long haul (which I think is likely as long as he keeps winning and getting his way).

By the way, the part I bolded literally makes my point for me. We'd be nothing right now if Beard left. Talk to me in 5-6+ years if he's still here and it'll be a different story.

24 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:

. Nothing Beard has done at Tech comes close, and that's not a diss, it's just my severely myopic opinion

No shit.

Sorry we blasphemed your basketball Jesus.  Gotdammit Derka.  people even warned in the thread ahead of time.

"Nah, he'll be reasonable."

waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay fucking overestimated ya, brah.  My apologies.