Dallas City Hall

DFWTexEx

54 minutes ago, Constant said:

Roughly 80,000 people voted in a mayoral race for a city if 1.3 million or so. That seems worse than normal. 

And the other just over 1 million will bitch about how shitty the roads are, how little services they receive, how few police officers there are in the neighborhoods, etc, etc. 

• Like 1

Johnson will probably have 3x the money than Griggs for the runoff. Going to be amazing if a guy that didn’t spend two days campaigning in person in dallas the last 4 months wins they mayors race. 

Kingston has done a lot of dumb shit lately (not paying the $8k he owed on time) that shot himself in the toe. 

15 hours ago, Firemans4Horn said:

Johnson will probably have 3x the money than Griggs for the runoff. Going to be amazing if a guy that didn’t spend two days campaigning in person in dallas the last 4 months wins they mayors race. 

Kingston has done a lot of dumb shit lately (not paying the $8k he owed on time) that shot himself in the toe. 

See--it's shit like that that reflects what a disservice the DMN does.  Kingston didn't fail to repay anything on time.  There's no deadline for repayment other than he just can't be sworn in for another term until he repays.  The notion that he didn't repay something on time is completely made up by the DMN to undermine a councilman with whom they disagree.

Kingston's a troll though. He doesn't do himself any favors with how he acts online. So I could see his act wearing thin in an area where not a ton of people vote but the ones who do might be highly motivated to vote against him. 

40 minutes ago, Ghost of LL said:

See--it's shit like that that reflects what a disservice the DMN does.  Kingston didn't fail to repay anything on time.  There's no deadline for repayment other than he just can't be sworn in for another term until he repays.  The notion that he didn't repay something on time is completely made up by the DMN to undermine a councilman with whom they disagree.

I got all sorts of negative junk email from shady groups going after Kingston based on this misinformation.  I would've voted against that other dude, just based on the flood of shitty propaganda, even if I weren't a supporter of Kingston's efforts at City Hall.

Mdmost is spot on though.  I have a neighbor who is a fairly good guy, and keeps a good eye on the block as well.  He's a bit petulant though and decided to vote against Kingston based on his snarky responses on social media.  I'm sure he's not an outlier.

On 5/5/2019 at 4:02 PM, Constant said:

Roughly 80,000 people voted in a mayoral race for a city if 1.3 million or so. That seems worse than normal. 

My parents were telling me about an election in Bangs, TX that was won 10-6.  They have a population just under 2000.

Early voting for these elections makes it so damn easy with no lines I just don't see why people don't vote.

My parents were telling me about an election in Bangs, TX that was won 10-6.  They have a population just under 2000.
Early voting for these elections makes it so damn easy with no lines I just don't see why people don't vote.

Easier to sit on the couch and bitch at the TV.

6 minutes ago, Chad Fuck said:

Easier to sit on the couch and bitch at the TV.

yeah, i get it, but i think people exaggerate in their head and overestimate how much of a hassle voting will be.  I used to do the same thing and not vote but early voting is the shit.  It was a Shutze article about the bridge debacle where Dallas spent $230M on a bridge to make a better post card and make the park cities folk feel better about having to share Dallas with the rest of us that made me look at local politics a little more.  I think he went on to say that the money spent on the bridge could have gone to something like revamped smart stoplights which would have made the whole city better.  never mind the bridges are still unusable. 

Just now, gyroprotagonist said:

yeah, i get it, but i think people exaggerate in their head and overestimate how much of a hassle voting will be.  I used to do the same thing and not vote but early voting is the shit.  It was a Shutze article about the bridge debacle where Dallas spent $230M on a bridge to make a better post card and make the park cities folk feel better about having to share Dallas with the rest of us that made me look at local politics a little more.  I think he went on to say that the money spent on the bridge could have gone to something like revamped smart stoplights which would have made the whole city better.  never mind the bridges are still unusable. 

You preachin' to the choir brosef.

I work downtown and voting probably took me  less than fifteen minutes all in from the time my ass left my office chair until the time I firmly planted my ass back into it.  And that was the first day.

I also passed two other early voting location on my way home.  It makes no sense to me that people can't take the time.  

2 minutes ago, gyroprotagonist said:

Don't forget that a huge driving factor for the bridges was the Ron Kirk Memorial Ozymandias project.  Dude wanted some monuments.

I voted after lunch on Saturday at the Sudie L Williams Elementary. Parked, walked in to no line, had my ID scanned, got my ballot, voted for Griggs (couldn't decide to vote for either Staubach Gates or Miller so I abstained on that one) and was out the door in less than 60 seconds.

Am I the only one who has serious doubts over the accuracy, reliability, and security of the all-electronic early voting machines?

I mean, I voted and all, but my confidence that the vote was accurately recorded is very low.

33 minutes ago, DDD Dad said:

Am I the only one who has serious doubts over the accuracy, reliability, and security of the all-electronic early voting machines?

I mean, I voted and all, but my confidence that the vote was accurately recorded is very low.

It should be.  I'll tell you a story next time we are together.

• 4 weeks later...

If you want to vote for Ray Hunt’s bitch than Eric Johnson is your guy. 

If you really listened closely, it was "I aint gon buck the man."

Both these x1000.   The official theme of the  anti-Griggs crowds is that he is divisive.  Divisive means that he will demand accountability and transparency and not simply let, for instance, the mayor give away Fair Park to his friend from Highland Park or, for instance,  give $150 million to VisitDallas with no accountability or, for instance, allow the DPD and DFR pension fund to run amok without supervision.

I can't imagine why anyone other than some sort of developer or someone who wants a bridge named after him would vote for Johnson.  But, he will probably win.  

• Like 3

I hope I'm wrong but I just don't see Erin Moore beating the west side of the Lake for the District 9 seat. Too much money pouring into that side. But I'll chuckle when Paula Blackmon allows development on White Rock Lake and all the NIMBYs who voted for her freak out. But it's cool, she'll try to do it on the East side of the lake first. 

11 hours ago, mdmost said:

I hope I'm wrong but I just don't see Erin Moore beating the west side of the Lake for the District 9 seat. Too much money pouring into that side. But I'll chuckle when Paula Blackmon allows development on White Rock Lake and all the NIMBYs who voted for her freak out. But it's cool, she'll try to do it on the East side of the lake first. 

Based on the early voting numbers, Erin has a better-than-even chance of winning.

• Like 1

Barf. I think he’ll be significantly worse than Rawlings.   

”Eric Johnson is cruising in the race for Dallas mayor, according to early vote totals just released by the Dallas County Elections department.

The state representative has a 57-42 percent lead over Griggs in early voting. That lead, about 7,000 voters, is likely insurmountable, even though the election day vote is yet to be counted.

Johnson campaigned on unifying the city and is endorsed by much of Dallas’ business elite.”

• Like 1

Barf. I think he’ll be significantly worse than Rawlings.   

”Eric Johnson is cruising in the race for Dallas mayor, according to early vote totals just released by the Dallas County Elections department.

The state representative has a 57-42 percent lead over Griggs in early voting. That lead, about 7,000 voters, is likely insurmountable, even though the election day vote is yet to be counted.

Johnson campaigned on unifying the city and is endorsed by much of Dallas’ business elite.”

Sucks when less than 10% of the eligible citizens vote. I should have moved to the burbs,lol.

I'm really surprised to see Kingston go down. I happen to be a fan of his "don't take shit" attitude. And I was really hoping to see Griggs win. Johnson's ties to the Citizen's Council made him a no go in my eyes. I was looking forward to having a guy in the mayor's office who wouldn't completely capitulate to that group. I have a friend who swears to me that Johnson isn't as bad as I think and that he was only playing lip service to the Citizen's council, but I'll believe it when I see it. 

Dallas is headed towards a major slide for the bad. Detroit of the South.

I imagine the Trinity Tollroad plans are already being dusted off. The Dallas Citizens Council will start ramrodding plans through very soon.

Blewitt is a surprise. He tried to rejoin the SMU Football program at the ripe age of 45 and is a self centered butthole. Wish he would go back to Utah with his 7 kids and be with his own kind.

• Like 1

I don't see Johnson staying on for very long. He's destined for Congress. It is remarkably bad that so few people voted yesterday. Yet the rest will bitch about the state of the city, yet do nothing to actively take a part in shaping its future. 

3 minutes ago, mdmost said:

I don't see Johnson staying on for very long. He's destined for Congress. It is remarkably bad that so few people voted yesterday. Yet the rest will bitch about the state of the city, yet do nothing to actively take a part in shaping its future. 

People like putting signs in their yard more than they like actually voting. 

• Like 1

A lot of the residents bitching about gentrification in West Dallas, Oak Cliff, East Dallas, Fair Park, etc have the lowest voter turnouts. West Dallas is about to go into overdrive now with Johnson as mayor. Prices have skyrocketed around Trinity Groves in less than a year. I really hope they address the police shortage and low-pay problem ASAP.

Dallas is headed towards a major slide for the bad. Detroit of the South.

One thing I noticed about Dallas compared to Chicago and Detroit is that major crime is almost spread out everywhere in Dallas. Chicago does a good job in containing it to certain areas, Detroit does to a lesser extent. Dallas has good pockets but it’s not like the North Dallas as a whole is safe as perceived. 1,000 cops short, bad pension system, and low pay. The disaster has already happened. Dallas is probably at rock bottom now.

No, we're going to look for more signature projects and other bullshit like that over basic services and doing right by our men and women in blue. There's no reason why Dallas shouldn't lead the area in police and fire fighter pay by a large margin. It's Mike Rawlings biggest failure during his tenure. 

No, we're going to look for more signature projects and other bullshit like that over basic services and doing right by our men and women in blue. There's no reason why Dallas shouldn't lead the area in police and fire fighter pay by a large margin. It's Mike Rawlings biggest failure during his tenure. 

I’m sure Fair Park will wind up a victim of crony capitalism now too.

So disappointing.

13 hours ago, Firemans4Horn said:

Kingston lost by 10%. He must have pissed off the wrong people in his district because Blewitt seems like a dumbfuck. 

could also be in the 'shit i heard in a bar' thread, but was sitting at the bar at Glorias (Greenville) and listening to a couple talk about the election.  then they asked me who i think was the best candidate.  Told them I was voting for Griggs.  They lived in Kingston's district and he said he was voting for Blewitt 'cause Kingston came off as too abrasive.  I said I would not care if someone is nice or not as long they always voted against all the cronyism down at city hall.  The guy was on board with Griggs and though that Eric was in the DCC's pocket and we convinced his date or whatever to vote for Griggs.

anyway, I voted on election day and the lakewood elementary location at 3pm had about 160 votes cast.  At least looking at the scantron machine where you feed you ballot into.  There was 1 person finishing up when i walked in.  I had mistakenly gone in to the Samuel Grand location first and there were 2 people in line there so yeah, not a rush to vote.  Just yesterday I probably heard "oh, yeah I meant to vote" about 3 times from neighbors.  oh well.

I get that people think Kingston is obnoxious.  He really is.  But I don't know how you would get that impression of Griggs--he's as soft-spoken as they come.

That district is going to have a really bad experience with Blewett.  I wouldn't be surprised to see a Kingston return in 2021.

Blewett will have no idea what he is doing. The demands needed in his district are great. I wonder how a neo-con like him will handle LGBTQ issues since Oak Lawn is in his district?

Johnson's plan to build the tax base won't work either. The City of Dallas can no longer afford to offer TIF funding to their developer friends. The taxpayer never sees a return on the private investment made.

In my neighborhood, I expect to see zoning overlays removed which currently keeps large 2 story McMansions from being built. I expect Blewett to champion that effort and turn Lakewood and the M-Streets into Frisco.

No surprise that Kingston went down in the D14 runoff. Lots of neighbors went in deep for Blewett after Matt Wood's campaign got soured by false attacks from Kingston's camp. He is a total pain in the ass to deal with if you disagree with him. Plus the police associations supported PK so that was another big boost for Blewett. 

Let's not understate the effect the DMN had on that race.  In the eight days leading up to the May election, they had a negative story about Kingston every day on either the front page or on the front of the Metro section.  That left a mark.

It also didn't help that Kingston focused his campaign and his efforts as a councilman toward the parts of his district that need his support, but don't vote (I'm looking at you, Downtown, Uptown, and the Gayborhood) and not enough on those parts between Skillman and Abrams that are starting to look (and vote) more like Frisco than anything else in that District.

As to Blewett and Blackmon--what they roll out for White Rock is going to be fascinating.  I think their visions for White Rock are at extreme variance with what the residents want, and it'll be interesting to see if there's a backlash in two years.

For his part, Eric Johnson is going to be a disastrous mayor.  The DMN is touting Johnson's win as a repudiation of "nasty politics" and an endorsement of "conciliation."  But what of his behavior on Twitter tells you that Johnson isn't a "nasty" guy; what tells you he knows anything about conciliation?

Edited by Ghost of LL
  • Like 2

DMN’s recap treats us citizens like we’re dumb as rocks. “We now have the kumbaya council to make Dallas great again”. Without a Hunt/Griggs/Kingston we’re going to get railroaded by every terrible idea, taxpayer giveaway that Ray hunt/belo/beck/crow can dream up. Johnson seems like a less informed version of Mike Rawlings but with thinner skin.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Firemans4Horn said:

DMN’s recap treats us citizens like we’re dumb as rocks. “We now have the kumbaya council to make Dallas great again”. Without a Hunt/Griggs/Kingston we’re going to get railroaded by every terrible idea, taxpayer giveaway that Ray hunt/belo/beck/crow can dream up. Johnson seems like a less informed version of Mike Rawlings but with thinner skin.  

Yep.

• 3 weeks later...

Hard to think of a bigger waste of money. I’d imagine 99% of trains are run at less than 50% capacity. 

Dallas Area Rapid Transit just received a significant grant that will help fund its ongoing project to extend the platforms at some of its key stations.

According to a release, the U.S. Department of Transportation's (USDOT) Federal Transit Administration (FTA) has entered into a $60.76 million grant agreement with DART for construction of the Red and Blue Line platform extensions.

Extending the platforms will accommodate bigger, longer trains, which can accommodate more riders.

In a statement, U.S. Transportation Secretary Elaine L. Chao said that "this federal investment will improve mobility for thousands of people who travel throughout the Dallas metropolitan area."

The project will lengthen platforms at 28 stations, along the existing Red and Blue light rail lines that currently accommodate trains with only two cars.

When the project is complete, all stations on these lines will be able to accommodate three-car trains.

The total project cost is $128.74 million.

http://dallas.culturemap.com/news/city-life/06-27-19-dart-funding-red-blue-line-fta/

• 3 weeks later...

Wasn't sure where else to put this but as most of you probably know, former council member Carolyn Davis was killed by a serial drunk driver last night.

The man suspected of causing the crash that killed former Dallas City Council member Carolyn Davis and critically injured her daughter has a long criminal history, including several convictions for driving while intoxicated.

Court records show that Jonathan Alger Moore's probation from a 2013 arrest and guilty plea ended just last week.

The 36-year-old could have spent 10 years in prison. Instead, he got five years of probation. 

On July 10, state District Judge Dominique Collins signed an order removing an external alcohol monitor that tested Moore's perspiration every 30 minutes. The judge also ordered the removal of an ignition interlock device, a breathalyzer that starts a vehicle only if the driver hasn't had a drink.

Jonathan Moore's mugshots, beginning in 2005(Dallas County Sheriff's Department)
Jonathan Moore's mugshots, beginning in 2005 
(Dallas County Sheriff's Department)

The order was officially filed with the Dallas County District Clerk's Office on Monday morning — only hours before the crash on East Ledbetter Road that killed Davis and sent her daughter, Melissa Davis Nunn, to Baylor University Medical Center at Dallas in critical condition.

According to arrest-warrant affidavits obtained by The Dallas Morning News, Moore is being charged with intoxication manslaughter, intoxication assault causing brain injury and driving without a license.

Police said in the affidavits that Moore admitted he was behind the wheel of his mother's Mazda Tribute, which smashed into Davis' Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera, rendering it all but unrecognizable. He said there were two passengers with him at the time of the crash: his aunt and "a 'young man' who he did not know."

No one on the scene — the witnesses who saw the crash and helped Moore from the SUV, police or paramedics — saw anyone else in his vehicle.

According to the affidavit, Moore told a paramedic he had been taking Xanax before the crash. But he later denied that when he was questioned by a police officer at Methodist Dallas Medical Center.

A witness said she overheard Moore say he had fallen asleep behind the wheel.

The affidavit said Moore, an Irving resident, told police he was driving home from Highland Park. He did not explain how he wound up in east Oak Cliff. 

Moore told an emergency room nurse he was being brought in for a "penile enhancement procedure." The affidavit says Moore "then began laughing as though he was making a joke."

He later told an officer he hadn't ingested any alcohol or illegal drugs and claimed instead to suffer from a "mild form" of diabetes and maybe some thyroid issues.

The arresting officer determined Moore was "intoxicated due to the introduction of drugs into his body." A search warrant was obtained to secure a blood draw.

Officers quickly determined Moore has four DWI convictions in Dallas County, dating back to July 2005, and another in Tarrant County. He also has been convicted twice of driving without a valid license.

Jonathan Moore in 2011(Texas Department of Criminal Justice)
Jonathan Moore in 2011 
(Texas Department of Criminal Justice)

For three of those convictions, Moore was sentenced to stints in the state penitentiary. 

But Texas Department of Criminal Justice officials said Tuesday that Moore had been in their custody only once — beginning July 27, 2011, when he was scheduled to serve a two-year sentence. He was paroled less than two months later, on Sept. 15.

His parole in that case ended in October 2012.

Two other prison sentences, including one in 2005, were reduced to probation and fines. 

In May 2013, he was arrested after he stopped his truck in the middle of Irving traffic and got out to walk around the vehicle. Court records show he admitted to smoking three joints before getting in the vehicle.

He pleaded guilty and had a 10-year prison sentence reduced to five years of probation and a $2,000 fine.

His attorney in that case, Amanda Branan, declined to comment.

Sgt. Mike Mata, president of the Dallas Police Association, said he was appalled that Moore repeatedly received probation in cases that should have resulted in prison time.

"We're only half the equation," he said. "The Dallas County courts have to do their part in keeping violent criminals and those who are repeat offenders off the street."

https://www.dallasnews.com/news/traffic-accidents/2019/07/16/suspect-crash-killed-former-dallas-council-member-carolyn-davis-long-history-dwi-convictions

MORE on Davis: https://www.dallasnews.com/news/dallas-city-council/2019/07/16/1-dead-another-critically-injured-possible-drunk-driving-crash-east-oak-cliff

Won't be long now before The Community petitions City Hall to rename a South Dallas street for Carolyn Davis.

He was in the worst stretch of Dallas. I do some volunteer work in that area and I'm the only white guy other than a Catholic priest a little further down the street. Crime largely goes unreported in this area where calling 911 on someone else often brings reprisals down the road.

9 minutes ago, CHEF DIESEL said:

Won't be long now before The Community petitions City Hall to rename a South Dallas street for Carolyn Davis.

He was in the worst stretch of Dallas. I do some volunteer work in that area and I'm the only white guy other than a Catholic priest a little further down the street. Crime largely goes unreported in this area where calling 911 on someone else often brings reprisals down the road.

She was due to be sentenced for bribery in Sept, I think.