Dallas City Hall

DFWTexEx

1 hour ago, Dr. Beeper said:

Maybe?  Kingston is terrible. Griggs is better, but not much, and he allies himself with Kingston.  But yeah it’s got to be GOP talking points; I can’t be observing and employing logic here....

I don’t know why Johnson hasn’t done more to combat the ridiculousness that is Clay Jenkins. 

If by divisive and terrible you mean "unwilling to bend and spread for interest groups," then I'm with you. Kingston was an asshole.  Scott is not an asshole.

Johnson was inserted so as not to ruffle feathers and to maintain the status quo.  Jenkins is pretty much the status quo, despite his willingness to do the right thing and buck the ventriloquist dummy of a governor we have.

On 9/7/2020 at 9:14 AM, TwiceHorn said:

And a manufactured line that Griggs and Kingston were "divisive," that people bought.

I wonder if the Nealy/JWP voting machine was in effect under different griftership?  

In fairness, Johnson was able to unify Council in a way no mayor in recent history has.  Unfortunately for him, it was on a 13-1 vote against him.

On 9/7/2020 at 12:24 PM, Dr. Beeper said:

This is all horse shit Dem talking points. Kingston is a fucking clown. Griggs is your typical know-it-all attorney. Both are insufferable. 

I don’t know much about Johnson and cannot form an opinion on him yet. I suspect many who bring up “GOP talking points” to refute anything I say would prefer Johnson “lead” like that attention whore Jenkins. He is masterful at getting people to think he’s status quo, whilst simultaneously inserting himself into every equation possible.   More Abbott, less Jenkins. 

Kingston is not a fucking clown.  I can confidently say that Philip knows more about public policy and municipal governance than you or I will ever know.  He is knowledgeable and a hard worker who delivered for his constituents.

Kingston is an intolerable asshole.  That much is true.  He is intensely arrogant and often unwilling to compromise.  And that often limited his effectiveness.

Johnson, however, has shown himself to have those same qualities.  This whole budget debacle shows that.  The difference is that Johnson also lacks judgment.  Johnson went out there and put his budget proposal up for a vote not knowing how many votes he had.  In the event, he had one--his own.  The result is that Johnson has lost any ability to lead.

Kingston never would've done that.  He knew how to wield power.  And he knew how to count votes.  There is no chance he would've ever put his proposal up for a vote unless (1) he knew he had the votes to pass it or (2) wanted to make his opponents go on the record opposing his proposal so that their vote could be used against them in the future.

1 hour ago, mdmost said:

Chief Hall is stepping down. 

Good.  It was a month overdue.  She lied to Council.  She had to go.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 9/7/2020 at 12:24 PM, Dr. Beeper said:

This is all horse shit Dem talking points. Kingston is a fucking clown. Griggs is your typical know-it-all attorney. Both are insufferable. 

I don’t know much about Johnson and cannot form an opinion on him yet. I suspect many who bring up “GOP talking points” to refute anything I say would prefer Johnson “lead” like that attention whore Jenkins. He is masterful at getting people to think he’s status quo, whilst simultaneously inserting himself into every equation possible.   More Abbott, less Jenkins. 

7 minutes ago, Dr. Beeper said:

He’s a clown and it’s fantastic he’s gone. 

Okay pal. I’ve forgotten more behind the scenes stories straight from a horse’s mouth than have ever been compiled here in totality. 

I don’t subscribe to the “GOP talking points” populism. Griggs was irreparably harmed by his association with Kingston. Both are terrible politicians, yet are typical of what Surly identifies with. 

You’ve “FoRg0tT3n M0aR tHaN w3’Ll EvEr Kn0w” and yet you admit to not knowing jack shit about the Dallas mayor who’s been in office for 15 months. Griggs was re-elected 3 times (term-limited out of office) even when his district map was re-drawn disadvantageously to him. He was far from a shitty politician. 

17 minutes ago, Dr. Beeper said:

And yet he couldn’t defeat Park Cities/Preston Hollow’s lackey.  

Lol. He was probably a 5-1 underdog when he entered the race. Considering you know everything about Dallas politics; Has there been a Dallas mayor that’s been elected without the support of the UP/HP monied interests?

At one time, some of the Citizens Council types (J. Erik Jonnson) actually had the good of the city in mind.

But that Trinity/tollroad project was straight fucking grift not even worthy of Al Lipscomb. Arena and Victory slightly less so.  Completely lost me there.

And pretty much all the cunts supported it except Hunt, Kingston, & Griggs.  Kingston may have been an asshole, and Griggs may have suffered from his association, but they were straight shooters, not fucking paid off grift artists.  Any time there was an argument on the Council, they seemed to make the most sense and have the high ground.

Edited by TwiceHorn
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Dr. Beeper said:

Okay pal. I’ve forgotten more behind the scenes stories straight from a horse’s mouth than have ever been compiled here in totality. 

Also, this is delightful.  Your opinion of them is not formulated based on independent observation and analysis, but from inside baseball from one of their opponents, no doubt from District 10, 11, or 13.  Likely 13.

Edited by TwiceHorn
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, DalTxHornFan said:

What's up with U. Renee Hall's impending departure from chief of DPD? I thought she did a solid when trapping the rioting folks on the bridge with the fake architecture.  Opinions differ?

I think there were a number of questions about her leadership and effectiveness.

Most recently, she told the Council tear gas absolutely was not used on protestors.  It absolutely was.  So she either lied or her command staff lied to her.  Bad juju either way.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Dr. Beeper said:

I know 13 and am a fan. I’m surrounded by 14. I had a close family member who was a longtime councilman. 

Edit to say, @TwiceHorn, there was not someone more fair and friendly to JWP.  And he thinks JWP is an absolute clown car circus. 

Not a fan of JWP.  There is corruption in the northern and southern districts of the Dallas council.  Sometimes the southern corruption actually favors the northern districts.  JWP carried more water for rich white men than he ever carried for South Dallas.

• Like 1

On 9/7/2020 at 11:26 AM, TwiceHorn said:

If by divisive and terrible you mean "unwilling to bend and spread for interest groups," then I'm with you. Kingston was an asshole.  Scott is not an asshole.

Johnson was inserted so as not to ruffle feathers and to maintain the status quo.  Jenkins is pretty much the status quo, despite his willingness to do the right thing and buck the ventriloquist dummy of a governor we have.

Lmao Kingston never bent for interest groups? He made a big ass deal about the bond package in 2012 that had tens of millions allocated for economic development. What was the very first project the city did with those funds? They moved a concrete plant next to a west Dallas elementary school. 

4 minutes ago, HRSchenker said:

Lmao Kingston never bent for interest groups? He made a big ass deal about the bond package in 2012 that had tens of millions allocated for economic development. What was the very first project the city did with those funds? They moved a concrete plant next to a west Dallas elementary school. 

Please man. Maybe get the basic facts right first. Good fucking riddance to Monica Alonzo and her brother while we're at it. Beeper Kramer's HP rep couldn't vote for it because her daddy was making bank on the deal.

https://oakcliff.advocatemag.com/2015/11/city-to-move-west-dallas-concrete-plant-next-to-superfund-site/

City Councilwoman Monica Alonzo, who represents West Dallas, reportedly had little to say on the matter in a hearing last week. She voted in favor of subsidizing the move, along with Adam McGough, Sandy Greyson, Erik Wilson, Mike Rawlings, Lee Kleinman, Rickey Callahan and Casey Thomas.

Voting against were Phillip Kingston, Scott Griggs, Adam Medrano, Carolyn King Arnold, Mark Clayton and Tiffini Young. Jennifer Staubach Gates couldn’t vote because her father, Roger Staubach, is among the Trinity Groves developers.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Dr. Beeper said:

Not a fan of JWP at all but the last sentence is oft repeated and just not accurate. 

So, you are saying that he carried even more water for South Dallas than for rich white men?  We all know about the Perot water carrying (rich white men, one would assume), so there must be much more South Dallas water carrying out there not yet disclosed.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Firemans4Horn said:

JWP sabotaging the Inland port is infinite water carried for rich white men. He can never repay people in South Dallas what he cost them in that deal. 

He and Kathy Nealy got out the black vote for the Trinity/Tollroad project and the Arena/Victory deal, both with historic South Dallas turnout on issues about which South Dallas should not give a single fuck.  The payments for those services were handsome and paid by a leading citizen who refused to cooperate with the investigation, which is largely why JWP walked.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

I feel like once you get to know some of these folks your opinions change due to personal bias and things become more human and necessarily messy, because people are so accessible and there are interpersonal relationships. I have a sneaking suspicion that Ghost actually knows Kingston and that is why he has responded the way he has about him, which is great.

For example, I know I'm supposed to hate him, but I had breakfast with JWP at the cafeteria in the basement of Frank Crowley once--  trademark gray cornrows, garrish windowpane suit, that amazing smile and all. Maybe I'm just a victim of his charisma, but I'm more prone to give the guy the benefit of the doubt.

On the other hand, I have a buddy who lives in the same subdivision as Pat Fallon and this is a guy he should like and align with if there was disassociation. But because they share a habitat, he can't stand him and almost fist fights him once a year and will actively vote against him on personal principle rather than political merit.

I know, I know, water is wet and local politics is chaos and insane.

Edited by Rougarou

33 minutes ago, Rougarou said:

I feel like once you get to know some of these folks your opinions change due to personal bias and things become more human and necessarily messy, because people are so accessible and there are interpersonal relationships. I have a sneaking suspicion that Ghost actually knows Kingston and that is why he has responded the way he has about him, which is great.

Oh, I know Philip and Scott and Eric--all of them.  The nice thing about all three is that they're not significantly different in private than their public personae.

And yes--JWP is great fun to talk with.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Ghost of LL said:

Oh, I know Philip and Scott and Eric--all of them.  The nice thing about all three is that they're not significantly different in private than their public personae.

And yes--JWP is great fun to talk with.

I know Scott as a patent lawyer.  He's considerably less "fiery" in that role, but that's also the nature of the role.  I've never done anything that pissed him off.

3 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

I know Scott as a patent lawyer.  He's considerably less "fiery" in that role, but that's also the nature of the role.  I've never done anything that pissed him off.

That's how I know all of them.  They're all lawyers.  Some I'm more friendly with than others.

I know Clay Jenkins pretty well.  His office was in my building, and we were against one another a couple times.  Angela Hunt was my gf's mock trial partner in law school.

So yeah--when you're a lawyer who's even modestly active in the local bar, you get to know all these characters.

Oh, and for the record, Scott is legitimately one of the most boring people I've ever met.  And I say that with love.

Edited by Ghost of LL
  • Hook 'Em 1

Another patent lawyer friend of mine used to work as an engineer for Dresser-Security down on Illinois Avenue.

One of the shop guys, a black dude, was pissed that he had been cited by the City for an overgrown yard.  He went to an open house held by Price at the club atop that Bank of America (I think) building where 67 splits off from 35.  

So the guy took his citation to Price at the open house and Price said "mow your yard, n*gg*."

Edited by TwiceHorn

Their political careers are over because they're term-limited.

That they aren't yet running for any higher office is probably a fact in their favor; demonstrating that they aren't or weren't using their council positions as a stepping stone to higher office.

Unlike most, I don't dislike Beeper.  I just like challenging his positions.  He reminds me of a younger me.

21 hours ago, Firemans4Horn said:

Please man. Maybe get the basic facts right first. Good fucking riddance to Monica Alonzo and her brother while we're at it. Beeper Kramer's HP rep couldn't vote for it because her daddy was making bank on the deal.

https://oakcliff.advocatemag.com/2015/11/city-to-move-west-dallas-concrete-plant-next-to-superfund-site/

City Councilwoman Monica Alonzo, who represents West Dallas, reportedly had little to say on the matter in a hearing last week. She voted in favor of subsidizing the move, along with Adam McGough, Sandy Greyson, Erik Wilson, Mike Rawlings, Lee Kleinman, Rickey Callahan and Casey Thomas.

Voting against were Phillip Kingston, Scott Griggs, Adam Medrano, Carolyn King Arnold, Mark Clayton and Tiffini Young. Jennifer Staubach Gates couldn’t vote because her father, Roger Staubach, is among the Trinity Groves developers.

I got every single fact right. He hard sold us in D14 on the bond package and three years later the city council ended up using it for the concrete plant. Dude has absolutely no credibility and got his ass kicked last election.

On 9/9/2020 at 7:49 PM, HRSchenker said:

I got every single fact right. He hard sold us in D14 on the bond package and three years later the city council ended up using it for the concrete plant. Dude has absolutely no credibility and got his ass kicked last election.

Ummm.  Kingston was elected in 2013.  The bond package was passed in 2012.  By then, Dallas had learned its lesson about restrictive bond covenants, and Kingston voted against that particular application of bond funds.

Not sure what you're saying here.

The budget amendments that 14 of us (all but the mayor, who missed most of the meeting) worked on in early September achieve the goals of fully funding DPD and other city needs without gutting the talent at City Hall, all while delivering a modest tax decrease. This was the result of true collaboration of 14 council members who worked together until 2 a.m., without the mayor and his accompanying emotional drama, hashtags and political maneuvering.

v2 burn GIF

Cutting city staff salaries is no way to build a world class city

1 hour ago, Firemans4Horn said:

Lol. The moron is now quoting Empower Texans garbage website to try and strengthen his case. 

So what's his play--he's going to run for Congress as a Republican?  For a Dallas County seat?  Good fucking luck with that.

By the way--if you're not paying attention to Lake Highlands' councilman, Lee Kleinman, on twitter, you're missing out.  Term-limited Lee is all out of fucks to give.  See, for example--

https://twitter.com/LeeforDallas/status/1304789256687226880?s=20

Edited by Ghost of LL

So what's his play--he's going to run for Congress as a Republican?  For a Dallas County seat?  Good fucking luck with that.
By the way--if you're not paying attention to Lake Highlands' councilman, Lee Kleinman, on twitter, you're missing out.  Term-limited Lee is all out of fucks to give.  See, for example--
https://twitter.com/LeeforDallas/status/1304789256687226880?s=20

Lee Kleinman is Lake Highlands? I thought he is far north Dallas and Adam McGough (who IIRC at one point was actually living in HP) is the LH councilman.

On 9/14/2020 at 8:27 PM, Dr. Beeper said:

$400K for Broadnax. $80K for Johnson. There is significant bloat at the municipal level. Johnson’s not wrong. He’s just not a very good politician. 

And the article acknowledges that their salaries are set by contract, so untouchable without their consent.

The article says nothing about councilmembers.  It's about how Johnson's shitty salary cut would affect low-level employees that do, in fact, make the city go, while not making a dent in the overall budget.

reading_is_fundamental.jpg&f=1&nofb=1

Edited by TwiceHorn

11 hours ago, DDD Dad said:

Lee Kleinman is Lake Highlands? I thought he is far north Dallas and Adam McGough (who IIRC at one point was actually living in HP) is the LH councilman.

Oh, shit--you're right.

He's District 11, which is North Dallas (i.e., between Central and the Tollway) from about Walnut Hill up to Campbell.

2 minutes ago, Ghost of LL said:

Oh, shit--you're right.

He's District 11, which is North Dallas (i.e., between Central and the Tollway) from about Walnut Hill up to Campbell.

And, I guess that is far North Dallas if you are really talking about the City of.  But it sure seems antiquated if you are referring to Dallas in the MSA sense.

Also, I was taken aback by the Bazaldua comments on that tweet, and several others, until I noticed it's a troll account for Abam Bazaldua.

8 minutes ago, DDD Dad said:

Right. Near North Dallas (not far north). Jewish Preston Hollow up past Galleria.

Being an older native of Dallas, the changes in the definition of North Dallas are kind of amusing.

My Dad worked for TI down on Lemmon, then they opened up the huge complex on Central at LBJ in the 60s.  Everyone thought that was a heinous commute to far North Dallas.  The Y on Preston just north of Mockingbird was known for a while as the "Park Cities/North Dallas YMCA."

1 minute ago, TwiceHorn said:

Being an older native of Dallas, the changes in the definition of North Dallas are kind of amusing.

My Dad worked for TI down on Lemmon, then they opened up the huge complex on Central at LBJ in the 60s.  Everyone thought that was a heinous commute to far North Dallas.  The Y on Preston just north of Mockingbird was known for a while as the "Park Cities/North Dallas YMCA."

One need only recall that North Dallas High School is across the street from Church of the Incarnation (south of Fitzhugh).

• Hook 'Em 2