Dallas City Hall

DFWTexEx

16 minutes ago, Chad Fuck said:

They were black, so don’t hold your breath.

Speaking of which, I should probably elaborate on my sarcastic The Community post.  I have found it ironic and disheartening that we have the Citizens Council on one pole and the John WIley Price grifter Community on the other.  And this how many decades after 14-1?  And people like Griggs and Hunt and Kingston get run on rails.

11 hours ago, DDD Dad said:

KingTon and Griggs were RUDE!

That's what ended up getting their opponents elected. No real substance to the allegations. Just that Griggs and Kingston called out the BS.

Dallas is going downhill so quickly. In order not to be "rude" or labeled a "troublemaker" there can be no dissent. Just shut up and go along with it.

29 minutes ago, CHEF DIESEL said:

That's what ended up getting their opponents elected. No real substance to the allegations. Just that Griggs and Kingston called out the BS.

Dallas is going downhill so quickly. In order not to be "rude" or labeled a "troublemaker" there can be no dissent. Just shut up and go along with it.

If you don't love Dallas as it is, you should leave Dallas.

Edited by DDD Dad

24 minutes ago, DDD Dad said:

If you don't love Dallas as it is, you should leave Dallas.

Dallas will need to hit rock bottom before it can get better. Dallas has a rapidly accelerating speed to get itself to that. Mayor Johnson should rapidly destroy things with the help of the his DCC friends and the media. Just wreck it.

For instance: As of 7/22/19 the City of Dallas has yet to pickup any storm debris from my neighborhood. That storm was when...June 9th? Pretty ridiculous that basic city services can be dragged out for so long.

29 minutes ago, CHEF DIESEL said:

Dallas will need to hit rock bottom before it can get better. Dallas has a rapidly accelerating speed to get itself to that. Mayor Johnson should rapidly destroy things with the help of the his DCC friends and the media. Just wreck it.

For instance: As of 7/22/19 the City of Dallas has yet to pickup any storm debris from my neighborhood. That storm was when...June 9th? Pretty ridiculous that basic city services can be dragged out for so long.

Still on our front lawns in Bluffview as well. Pretty sure there was a note to not put anything other than storm debris for bulk trash pickup for at least a few months.

1 hour ago, CHEF DIESEL said:

Well, to be fair, Kingston was a bit of an ass.  That knock on Griggs, though, is fabricated from whole cloth and bullshit of the purest ray serene.

38 minutes ago, Dr. Beeper said:

Driving around M Streets on way home from gym this morning, I was amazed that there has been no pickup. Dallas trash pickup was always horrible from what I remember - always one dumpster once a week. 

Not true.  We had twice a week pickup until about 7 or 8 years ago, and we had alley service (at least in Lakewood) until they went to the current bins that the trucks can pick up with the robot arms.  They won't fit in most of the alleys.  Now we have to drag the cans out and back every week.  

we live on the LW parade route, so they picked up our dead trees pronto as I'm sure they had tons of people ride their ass about it getting done prior to the parade.  But yeah, drive a few blocks down to the M streets and there is still a ton in people's yards.

Well, to be fair, Kingston was a bit of an ass.  That knock on Griggs, though, is fabricated from whole cloth and bullshit of the purest ray serene.

I am not in Kingston's district, but i heard the 'he is rude' comment from several folks.  I always countered with why do you care?  The guy at least has a track record of challenging boondoggles and corruption and aspiring to accountability from elected officials.

Yeah, not sure what that is trying to say. I'm in the middle of the blue area just west of the Park Cities and they haven't removed a single bit of storm damage. Not one bit.
Isn't that what it says? You got regular bulk before storm and you'll get storm after the (normal) week 4 people are done.

1 hour ago, woohorn said:
2 hours ago, C-Man said:
Yeah, not sure what that is trying to say. I'm in the middle of the blue area just west of the Park Cities and they haven't removed a single bit of storm damage. Not one bit.

Isn't that what it says? You got regular bulk before storm and you'll get storm after the (normal) week 4 people are done.

Yeah, I think I was reading that wrong. Our usual bulk trash pickup is the first week of each month. Guess I was figuring they would've rolled through our neighborhood the first of July. Looks like they're taking two weeks to complete each zone, rather than one is normal instances.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, DDD Dad said:

Or if Locke Lorde represents clients doing business/seeking business with the city?

Seems like a potential for appearance of conflict even if no actual conflict.

It's not an inherent conflict.

There are all manner of rules as to governmental contracting that put limits on what Johnson or Locke Lord can do.  Those rules exist in addition to a lawyer's ethical considerations to avoid a conflict.  

For example, if a Locke Lord client submits a competitive bid to the City of Dallas to sell widgets, then Johnson needs to be Chinese walled off from that bid (and, preferably, from anything to do with that client).  If Johnson does anything vis-a-vis that bid, the City by law must throw it out.  

And separating Johnson from that work shouldn't be hard.  Johnson is a bond attorney.  He's out there representing local governments, not vendors selling shit to local governments.  So I don't think it should be too hard for Locke Lord to manage this.

22 minutes ago, Ghost of LL said:

It's not an inherent conflict.

There are all manner of rules as to governmental contracting that put limits on what Johnson or Locke Lord can do.  Those rules exist in addition to a lawyer's ethical considerations to avoid a conflict.  

For example, if a Locke Lord client submits a competitive bid to the City of Dallas to sell widgets, then Johnson needs to be Chinese walled off from that bid (and, preferably, from anything to do with that client).  If Johnson does anything vis-a-vis that bid, the City by law must throw it out.  

And separating Johnson from that work shouldn't be hard.  Johnson is a bond attorney.  He's out there representing local governments, not vendors selling shit to local governments.  So I don't think it should be too hard for Locke Lord to manage this.

I'm not disagreeing with you....That said, it certainly has many (particularly his more vocal critics) up in arms.

2 hours ago, DDD Dad said:

I'm not disagreeing with you....That said, it certainly has many (particularly his more vocal critics) up in arms.

I'm not saying that it's not politically problematic.  Nor am I saying that it's not a pair of golden handcuffs to shackle Johnson to the Citizens Council.

All I'm saying is that it's not, on its face, illegal.

Justin was a pledge brother of mine but we hadn't kept up post-UT. I didn't even know he was living in Dallas, much less an assistant DA.

https://dfw.cbslocal.com/2019/08/31/dallas-assistant-district-attorney-found-dead-at-his-home/

DALLAS (CBSDFW.COM) — Dallas County Assistant District Attorney Justin Lord was found dead at his home Saturday.

Details on Lord’s death are unknown at this time; however, the Dallas County DA’s office asks the public to “respect the privacy of his family, friends and DA staff” as they mourn.

“We are absolutely heartbroken. Justin Lord was not only a dedicated attorney, he was also an unwavering advocate for our community — devoting his career to public service and the safety of Dallas County,” said Criminal District Attorney John Creuzot. “There will never be any words to describe how devastating this loss is for his family, friends and coworkers.”

Lord served as the Chief of Division E of the DA’s Office, where he supervised felony prosecutors in seven district courts.

On 8/31/2019 at 7:34 PM, C-Man said:

Justin was a pledge brother of mine but we hadn't kept up post-UT. I didn't even know he was living in Dallas, much less an assistant DA.

https://dfw.cbslocal.com/2019/08/31/dallas-assistant-district-attorney-found-dead-at-his-home/

this is very weird.  Guess he committed suicide.  He was found walking the streets in Palmer Saturday night with a bloody nose and his car in a ditch.  He told officers he thought he was near his house in Rockwall which was 45 miles away.   Took him to a hospital for a bloood draw and he was picked up by someone at the hospital and then went home.

http://www.fox4news.com/news/dallas-county-assistant-da-found-dead-hours-after-suspected-dwi-incident?fbclid=IwAR0kN0mL9QsQU2HzmNcdbf1MIY0t2Rog_wY_koUGwY4NRp2zVli4kC6pvLw

Edited by BigDHornfan

2 hours ago, BigDHornfan said:

this is very weird.  Guess he committed suicide.  He was found walking the streets in Palmer Saturday night with a bloody nose and his car in a ditch.  He told officers he thought he was near his house in Rockwall which was 45 miles away.   Took him to a hospital for a bloood draw and he was picked up by someone at the hospital and then went home.

http://www.fox4news.com/news/dallas-county-assistant-da-found-dead-hours-after-suspected-dwi-incident?fbclid=IwAR0kN0mL9QsQU2HzmNcdbf1MIY0t2Rog_wY_koUGwY4NRp2zVli4kC6pvLw

The fraternity brother of mine who sent me the news initially said it was suicide. Maybe he was drunk and staring at a DWI, which might put his standing as a DA in question. Is that enough reason to kill yourself? (I honestly don't know.)

As a general proposition, yes, a DWI could cost one his/her job as a DA (see Jody Warner and Leah Lucius).  Depends, though, on the DA's policy and the "facts" of it, e.g. Rosemary or something less egregious; conviction, etc.  It would likely cause suspension until resolved, at minimum.  It does not jeopardize one's law license.

Without casting undue aspersions, getting a DWI at his age may indicate a drinking problem, which usually comes with depression and other really bad thinking.  Sometimes consequences like this lead one to sobriety, sometimes they lead somewhere else.

Sad deal. RIP.

Edited by TwiceHorn

5 hours ago, BigDHornfan said:

From the story:

As the chief of the felony division, Lord prosecuted some of the highest profile cases during his 18 years with the DA's office. A spokeswoman says 10 grief counselors and

two grief dogs were made available to staff.

• Like 1

On 9/4/2019 at 12:03 PM, C-Man said:

The fraternity brother of mine who sent me the news initially said it was suicide. Maybe he was drunk and staring at a DWI, which might put his standing as a DA in question. Is that enough reason to kill yourself? (I honestly don't know.)

NBC 5 is saying it was a suicide

If he had just been in a car wreck and sustained a head injury, that can prompt an otherwise healthy person to commit suicide.  I remember one particular instance of that happening to a guy in North Dallas some years back.  Steve Blow was a dick about it; got sued; went to the Texas Supreme Court--it was a whole thing.

Bottom line: Steve Blow was a shitty hack.

• 4 weeks later...
3 hours ago, HRSchenker said:

Rumor on the street is that the city council is set to repeal the city's panhandling ordinance today. 

Yes. That will make it legal to panhandle at ATM machines, gas pumps and anywhere else people have their wallets out. The current ordinance was rarely enforced anyway. Dallas Police are so few and far between they would only respond to panhandlers that assaulted people for money. I call that robbery when someone attacks you for your money.

• 2 months later...

Former Dallas City Council Member Kevin Felder indicted his morning:

Former Dallas City Council member Kevin Felder indicted over scooter collision

He allegedly failed to stop and render aid after hitting a motorized scooter rider near Fair Park in February. The indictment is a third-degree felony charge.

https://www.dallasnews.com/news/2019/12/19/former-dallas-city-council-member-kevin-felder-indicted-over-scooter-collision/

Former Dallas City Council member Kevin Felder was indicted by a Dallas County grand jury Thursday morning for allegedly failing to stop and render aid after hitting a motorized scooter rider near Fair Park in February.

Felder, who represented South Dallas and parts of East Dallas and lost his re-election bid this year, was released on a personal recognizance bond shortly after he was arrested in February. Police said Felder left the scene after colliding with a teenager Feb. 13 in the 2500 block of Malcolm X Boulevard.

News of the indictment was first reported by WFAA-TV (Channel 8). Felder’s attorney, Russell Wilson, didn’t immediately respond to a request for comment Thursday.

In the arrest warrant affidavit, police said they spoke to the scooter rider, who alleged a blue Ford Fusion struck him from behind. Through his attorney at the time, Peter Schulte, Felder denied that a collision occurred......................................................

• 4 months later...
4 hours ago, Firemans4Horn said:

Schutze out at the Observer. Feels like a light has gone out in our city. 

What the fuck?

Someone needs to give that man a platform until he doesn't want it or can't do it anymore.

Edited by TwiceHorn