Ex Blue Bell CEO charged with criminal conspiracy

SurlyBDR

9 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

I’m actually fine with the feds acting here. He killed people in another state. The product was in broad interstate commerce, not just incidental. He directed actions to remove product and lie about it in multiple states. And, finally, one of the important functions of federal prosecution (and this is a practical one as opposed to a legal one), do you think there’s any chance that any Texas prosecutor would act against a company owned by connected aggies and the Bass Family? Fuck no.
I get your reticence about fed criminal prosecutions, but this is a good one. By the way, criminally negligent homicide charges should still be on the table...but they’ll never happen. See my point above.

Homicide, interestingly enough, is not generally a federal crime, even if committed in interstate commerce or using the mails or the wires or whatever.  It has to be in the special maritime or territorial jurisdiction of the US (at sea, in the air, Indian reservation, etc.), or involve some other federal interest (federal judge or LEO, etc.).

Correct - that’s why you saw all those old dirty/racist cop cases tried as civil rights cases and whatnot.
I mentioned the homicide charge because that would be a good one for a state prosecutor to bring. But they won’t. Because politics and money.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, blacklab said:

Makes me happy to see this happen. And yeah, I don't see the DA of Washington County persecuting the head of the biggest employer in town.

Well, again, if state authorities are unwilling to prosecute, I think that needs to be made known, not just some quiet assumption.

Which is one of the reasons I find federal prosecution dismaying here.

I freely admit to being a bit of an iconoclast on this issue (also a native Texan, but not an IconoclastTexan), but I raise the issue every time it comes  up because I don't think we should blindly accept federal prosecution just because.

Edited by TwiceHorn

18 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Correct - that’s why you saw all those old dirty/racist cop cases tried as civil rights cases and whatnot.
I mentioned the homicide charge because that would be a good one for a state prosecutor to bring. But they won’t. Because politics and money.

Negligent homicide?

seems like a slam dunk.

12 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Well, again, if state authorities are unwilling to prosecute, I think that needs to be made known, not just some quiet assumption

It’s East Texas.  There are probably manifestos being written on TexAgs and Facebook about how state authorities not only shouldn’t prosecute such a kind and generous organization and  family who has given millions to aggy, but instead should be congratulating them and promoting their ice cream.    And half of said manifestos are probably about how the feds are being brown shirts about this or something.  

We could find out that Bucees is directly behind some massive operation to ship meth and traffic sex slaves from South America, and those people would find a way to defend it.   And express how they were disappointed that they weren’t able to partake of the goods.  

These were the people who, when Blue Bell put out the recall, they proudly posted photos of themselves on social media eating any BB ice cream they had left in their freezers, and bragging about buying a bunch of BB before stores got rid of it.  

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, atomheartbevo said:

It’s East Texas.  There are probably manifestos being written on TexAgs and Facebook about how state authorities not only shouldn’t prosecute such a kind and generous organization and  family who has given millions to aggy, but instead should be congratulating them and promoting their ice cream.    And half of said manifestos are probably about how the feds are being brown shirts about this or something.  

We could find out that Bucees is directly behind some massive operation to ship meth and traffic sex slaves from South America, and those people would find a way to defend it.   And express how they were disappointed that they weren’t able to partake of the goods.  

These were the people who, when Blue Bell put out the recall, they proudly posted photos of themselves on social media eating any BB ice cream they had left in their freezers, and bragging about buying a bunch of BB before stores got rid of it.  

Yep.  We're tribal idiots.  It's why, back in the day, prosecutors rarely even brought charges against white people who killed/lynched a black person, and when they did, the accused was promptly acquitted.  This is a different flavor of the same shit.  The crime doesn't matter, the law doesn't matter -- just the tribe.

TEAM BLUE BELL FOR LIFE!  WHOOP!

• Hook 'Em 1

23 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Yep, and usually some to-do was made about how state authorities inadequately prosecuted them, at least somewhat exposing the corruption or malfeasance of the staties.

6 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

TEAM BLUE BELL FOR LIFE!  WHOOP!

The best were the folks showing themselves eating the recalled ice cream.   Yeah, the chances were low they’d get sick, but that’s not the point, the point should have been to punish BB for their behavior, not be a cheerleader yell leader because they gave money to aggy.   

The company, meanwhile, will pay a $17.25 million criminal fine and a $2.1 million civil fine for selling tainted ice cream to federal facilities.

The fact that some of the product was distributed to federal facilities probably has got the feds involved.

Fuck Blue Bell and fuck aggy.

• Like 1

Brenham isn't east Texas, it's between Austin and Houston.  Lois Kolkhorst is from Brenham and has lots of sway in state government.  The state of Texas wasn't going to touch this.  The Bass family invested after the outbreak when Blue Bell needed money to keep going.

7 minutes ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

You'd think you'd of all people would know the rules because you were there when they were handed down on stone tablets to Stephen F. Austin but I guess you don't.

ptS4d3re_400x400.jpg

There's a craftsman cottage somewhere that doesn't know it's going to get gutted and turned into an open-plan shriekery thanks to the madness in this one's eyes.

And what's up with the Monkey's Paw?

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, RDCanecutter said:

There's a craftsman cottage somewhere that doesn't know it's going to get gutted and turned into an open-plan shriekery thanks to the madness in this one's eyes.

And what's up with the Monkey's Paw?

Tcu handsign. Squirt ‘em or something. 

Edited by Pato del Muerto
  • Like 2
  • Haha 3

6 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

You need to buy a new map

• Like 1

1 hour ago, immortal13 said:

You need to buy a new map

Brenham is close enough to Collie Station/Huntsville/etc. that I lump it in with those folks.  Plus, it's a mindset, not a geographical boundary.  Blue Bell is run by aggy and aggy went full aggy when all of the bad press started coming out about Blue Bell.

Edited by atomheartbevo

52 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Brenham is close enough to Collie Station/Huntsville/etc. that I lump it in with those folks.  Plus, it's a mindset, not a geographical boundary.  Blue Bell is run by aggy and aggy went full aggy when all of the bad press started coming out about Blue Bell.

Not east texas

On 5/2/2020 at 8:32 AM, RollLeft said:

It would be funny if a few Texas alums pitched in and bought this company so we can all joke about how Horn alums name are on that ballpark.  Wish ole Sid would have followed in mama Bass' footsteps to Texas but Yale aint bad.

Did you forget about that whole Yale thing

On 5/1/2020 at 3:28 PM, Rip76 said:

So basically Blue Bell = China.

You’re going to have to add hundreds of thousands of deaths but OK.  Can one get listeria from eating bats?  Have you tried Blue Bell’s new bat flavored ice cream?

Edited by stork642

On 5/2/2020 at 7:50 AM, TwiceHorn said:

While it seems like criminal charges may be appropriate here, I find it dismaying that the feds are doing it.  Nothing federal about this crime.  Not sure why staties couldn't have handled it.

My guess is that their knowingly tainted product was shipped across state lines.

19 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

Not sure I’ve ever heard college station being referred to as East Texas. Huntsville? Maybe I would say that East Texas starts close to Huntsville. Is 45 the East Texas border? Or 59?

32 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Not sure I’ve ever heard college station being referred to as East Texas. Huntsville? Maybe I would say that East Texas starts close to Huntsville. Is 45 the East Texas border? Or 59?

pretty much I-45 and the Piney Woods.

I’ve had people give me shit for referring to Huntsville, my birthtown, as east Tx. If red dirt, white trash, and pine trees doesn’t qualify it as East Tx then just throw Carthage into the panhandle along with it.

• Like 1

On 5/2/2020 at 8:26 PM, Somnio said:

Lol!  They still use High Fructose Corn Syrup and artificial flavorings.

Fuck 'em.

Yeah that is crazy to me.  Growing up in Houston, and probably anywhere in Texas, you were brought up to think Blue Bell is like some mystical shit other states don't have and that its the best ice cream you can get.  I remember reading the label for the first time and thinking what the fuck is all this chemical bullshit?  

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, Hozz said:

Yeah that is crazy to me.  Growing up in Houston, and probably anywhere in Texas, you were brought up to think Blue Bell is like some mystical shit other states don't have and that its the best ice cream you can get.  I remember reading the label for the first time and thinking what the fuck is all this chemical bullshit?  

For whatever reason, probably just being kind of cheap (and, I don't think there was much material difference between ice creams back in the 70s), my Mom bought Lucerne (Safeway store brand) vanilla ice cream through the 70s and 80s.

Then Blue Bell became kind of a thing with Homemade Vanilla and Cookies n Cream.  And that's what she started buying when she'd buy ice cream.  Cookies n Cream was kind of novel, but no longer, and Homemade Vanilla was kind of unique because of its custard-y-ness, but again no longer, and that custard-y-ness seems to be achieved with all kinds of plasticky shit.

As stated, I haven't bought any since the listeria thing and don't miss it at all.  I buy the Safeway/TomThumb/Randalls/Albertsons/whoever-the-hell-they-are-this-week store brand when I do.

Edited by TwiceHorn

Coffee and pistachio flavors remind me of my grandfather, who had weird taste in ice cream, so I bought some after the listeria thing went down, but I've let that slip since HEB moved into my orbit and I gave Kroger the axe. HEB seems on hell-bent on a mission to drive both Kroger and Blue Bell out of business and I am behind them all the way on both counts.  

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

You're laughing now, but when this proves that Listeria kills COVID, making Blue Bell America's hero, they'll have the last laugh.

Don’t care.

I discovered Tillamook Oregon Strawberry Ice Cream. Better than any strawberry flavor BB or Creamy Creations have produced.

Yes, HEB carries it - at least they did last fall.

• Hook 'Em 1