What well know companies are going to go away because of this situation?

tbone_

There's determined to stay in the saddle and there's committed to stay in the saddle...

Giant_Image42.jpg

Holy shit.  I could kill a pandemic fucking around with all these fucking things as long as my wife kept me supplied with Tang, and fried baloney sandwiches....

http://www.plasticsoldierreview.com/ShowFeature.aspx?id=52

What were we discussing?

• Like 1

amazing that in the middle of the pandemic, Starbucks is still thriving.

I drove by the one on the corner of Rockwood and Anderson Ln around 10 this morning.... the fucking drive through line STARTED just shy of the CVS....

easily, EASILY 30 cars just sitting in line for a fucking coffee

My wife has gotten uber religious about her coffee run during the pandemic.  She goes to a place called White Rock Coffee, (It's three stores down from a rat bastard Starbucks that is trying to drive them out of business).  She brings me a coffee.  And a scone. 

Which is pleasingly dry.

9 minutes ago, AUS-97HORN said:

I drove by the one on the corner of Rockwood and Anderson Ln around 10 this morning.... the fucking drive through line STARTED just shy of the CVS....

I believe they've been closed and just opened up Friday.

27 minutes ago, AUS-97HORN said:

You knows what's always been busy around me?  Fuckin Dunkin donuts.  Dunkin donuts sucks ass.  Like I seriously was offended by Dunkin donuts.  Who serves cold donuts?  And I don't mean room temperature, sitting behind the glass cold.    I mean "hey let's keep and serve our donuts in a fridgerator" cold.  And they're building another one even closer to me.  

38 minutes ago, tantric superman said:

There's determined to stay in the saddle and there's committed to stay in the saddle...

Giant_Image42.jpg

Holy shit.  I could kill a pandemic fucking around with all these fucking things as long as my wife kept me supplied with Tang, and fried baloney sandwiches....

http://www.plasticsoldierreview.com/ShowFeature.aspx?id=52

What were we discussing?

Hey, I had these guys too, with the hollow-insides horses. Begged Mama to get them for me after I saw them on the grocery store toy rack.

As if 30-year-old tech billionaires even know about grocery store toy racks, the dumbasses.

52 minutes ago, tantric superman said:

By the way, maybe you can clear something up.  We never really knew what the hell the guy in back with his hands spread out was doing.  I thought he was in the stocks for sodomy, but my brother thought he was a horsing around and playin' the fool with a cannon rammer.

plastic-comic-book-soldiers_1_fd268d5cf7

We called him the "cannon crammer."

24 minutes ago, 3adays said:

I thought Bed Bath and Beyond was doomed BEFORE the Covid? Nope, they’re still touting their 20% off coupons.  Despite the odds, I have a feeling these cockroaches are going to survive. 

If Bed Bath and Beyond were to go under. the metro Atlanta area would cave in on itself.

33 minutes ago, 3adays said:

I thought Bed Bath and Beyond was doomed BEFORE the Covid? Nope, they’re still touting their 20% off coupons.  Despite the odds, I have a feeling these cockroaches are going to survive. 

I went to one right before Christmas for the first time in what seems like about 5 or 6 years it was basically crammed with as seen on TV bullshit.

1 hour ago, tantric superman said:

My wife has gotten uber religious about her coffee run during the pandemic.  She goes to a place called White Rock Coffee, (It's three stores down from a rat bastard Starbucks that is trying to drive them out of business).  She brings me a coffee.  And a scone. 

Which is pleasingly dry.

That's a good place.  Their coffee doesn't taste like it came out of the bunker of USS Missouri circa 1946.  Pastries are good too.

1 hour ago, BevoSwag said:

Was North Park always an enclosed Mall?  I recall going to NM there with my grandparents on ou weekend back in the late 50's .  I thought it was a bunch of shops in an open air atmosphere.

Well it opened in 1965 and I believe basically in the configuration that it is in.  They added the Lord & Taylor wing (NW corner, Park and Boedeker) in the 80s, or 70s, then the Nordstrom wing (Barney's wing at the time, NE corner, Park and Central), food court and theater in the 90s or oughts.  

Prior to that, the only Needless Markup location was downtown, which may be what you are thinking of.  That segment of downtown has always been a little more retail-oriented and less office-building oriented.

Edited by TwiceHorn

Just now, TwiceHorn said:

Well it opened in 1965 and I believe basically in the configuration that it is in.  They added the Lord & Taylor wing in the 80s, or 70s, then the Nordstrom wing (Barney's wing at the time), food court and theater in the 90s or oughts.  

That makes me think it was open at one time.  I seem to recall it was located on Loop 12 at i35??  Was it maybe called Prestonwood?

1 minute ago, BevoSwag said:

That makes me think it was open at one time.  I seem to recall it was located on Loop 12 at i35??  Was it maybe called Prestonwood?

No, it was the worlds first climate-controlled mall.  In the 50s, that area of Dallas was mostly farmland.  Loop 12 and US75.  Prestonwood was absolutely nothing but a mudhole in the 50s.

4 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

Sterling's long predated both.  Best and Service were pale imitations when they arrived and didn't have guns, IIRC.

You said

Dallas' version of Best Products and Service Merchandise was Sterling Jewelers. 

There was no "Dallas' version" of Best and SM. Best and SM were in Dallas for many years.

Learn how to express yourself in English.

2 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

No, it was the worlds first climate-controlled mall.  In the 50s, that area of Dallas was mostly farmland.  Loop 12 and US75.  Prestonwood was absolutely nothing but a mudhole in the 50s.

Nope, Southdale Center in Minnesota was the first, 9 years before NorthPark opened:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Southdale_Center

And while the Houston pompom wavers will claim Gulfgate was the first (it opened a month earlier than Southdale), it wasn't enclosed until a decade later.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I certainly remember Zayre.  There was a location by our old house in Arlington Heights that we frequented when we went back up there to visit family on the reg.  
Don't remember Ames or Cook Bros.  But I have a decent-to-good mob/union story and our trucking company related to Goldblatt's.  Oh man, the memories just wash over me sometimes with just the right queue words.  

Ames bought out Zayre I believe. My mom loved(obsessed with) shopping at Goldblatt’s and I think they had those old school cheesy photo studios like Sears with the picture in picture portraits. Cook Brothers still exist but was one of the first to sell cheap Chinese goods that broke right away. Nothing like getting Xmas presents that didn’t work.

Guest Lobo

Well J. Crew declared for bankruptcy today.  Who knew Their print catalog-centric sales model coupled with absolutely baffling real estate decisions wouldn't last through the Pandemic?  I think the last thing I bought was about 25 years ago, it looked like Costanza's jacket but in a light khaki color.  I'm gonna pop a beer and pop a collar to them tonight.  

Lots of airline talk this morning with Buffett pulling out. I wonder if now is when that business can get disrupted to a model with more small planes and an almost Uber-like experience.

If someone could create a quiet 6-12 passenger jet it would change everything. For now the burbs don’t want the noise of a regional airport.

1 hour ago, Buzzrock said:

Lots of airline talk this morning with Buffett pulling out. I wonder if now is when that business can get disrupted to a model with more small planes and an almost Uber-like experience.

If someone could create a quiet 6-12 passenger jet it would change everything. For now the burbs don’t want the noise of a regional airport.

This guy just reinvented the private jet

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, Aqua Buddha said:

Aside their debt load, J Crew's real problem has been their design choices over the past 10 years.  Jenna Lyons designed things that only people like her would wear instead of preppy chic or whatever.  She drove sales off a cliff.

https://twitter.com/EddyElfenbein/status/1257305688260345856?s=20Aaa

Edited by 52-80
  • Haha 1

21 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

Well it opened in 1965 and I believe basically in the configuration that it is in.  They added the Lord & Taylor wing (NW corner, Park and Boedeker) in the 80s, or 70s, then the Nordstrom wing (Barney's wing at the time, NE corner, Park and Central), food court and theater in the 90s or oughts.  

Prior to that, the only Needless Markup location was downtown, which may be what you are thinking of.  That segment of downtown has always been a little more retail-oriented and less office-building oriented.

Actually, there was a Neiman Marcus in Preston Center from 1950-1965 off of Preston and Northwest Highway. It was free standing and not in a mall. I am not sure what corner it was on at Preston Center though. I know that the Titches later turned into a Sanger Harris then a Foleys then the Target/Ross/Office Depot/DSW.

spacer.png

• Like 1

19 hours ago, rage-a-holic said:

You said

There was no "Dallas' version" of Best and SM. Best and SM were in Dallas for many years.

Learn how to express yourself in English.

Fuck off.  🤬🤬

Until Best and Service showed up in the late 70s or early 80s, Sterlings was it, from at least the 60s (on NW Hwy), and apparently 1948.  It was a "wholesale" catalog showroom like Best and Service, which were elsewhere.  Sears and Penney's were also technically catalog showrooms, but I don't think you would compare them.

The Dallas Sterling's was the only location, although there may have been a similar one in Houston under the name Houston Wholesale Jewelry.  https://www.houstonjewelry.com/our-history.php

It was the same type of store in a city that didn't have that type of store.  Therefore, it was Dallas' version of the stores that it didn't have.

If it had been in Dallas after Service or Best, then you might be correct.  You simply lack perspective.  

🤬🤬

19 hours ago, clapclapclap said:

Nope, Southdale Center in Minnesota was the first, 9 years before NorthPark opened:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Southdale_Center

And while the Houston pompom wavers will claim Gulfgate was the first (it opened a month earlier than Southdale), it wasn't enclosed until a decade later.

You are correct sir.  I misread the wikipedia and misremembered.  Opened as the largest climate-controlled mall.

10 minutes ago, CHEF DIESEL said:

Actually, there was a Neiman Marcus in Preston Center from 1950-1965 off of Preston and Northwest Highway. It was free standing and not in a mall. I am not sure what corner it was on at Preston Center though. I know that the Titches later turned into a Sanger Harris then a Foleys then the Target/Ross/Office Depot/DSW.

spacer.png

You are correct, sir.  I remember my parents talking about that.  That apparently is along Preston, on the east side, south of Villanova/Berkshire.  Where Orvis, Houstons or Hillstone, and others are now.

That is probably what BevoSwag is thinking of.

Man, that was the boonies back then.

Northwest-Highway-at-Preston-before.jpg

Hard to imagine all that retail there at that time, but rich folks to be served and the rent was cheaper than HP Village.

Edited by TwiceHorn

9 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Fuck off.  🤬🤬

Until Best and Service showed up in the late 70s or early 80s, Sterlings was it, from at least the 60s (on NW Hwy), and apparently 1948.  It was a "wholesale" catalog showroom like Best and Service, which were elsewhere.  Sears and Penney's were also technically catalog showrooms, but I don't think you would compare them.

The Dallas Sterling's was the only location, although there may have been a similar one in Houston under the name Houston Wholesale Jewelry.  https://www.houstonjewelry.com/our-history.php

It was the same type of store in a city that didn't have that type of store.  Therefore, it was Dallas' version of the stores that it didn't have.

If it had been in Dallas after Service or Best, then you might be correct.  You simply lack perspective.  

🤬🤬

Again, you're wrong.

If you had said, "When I lived in Dallas after the end of the Korean war, Dallas' version of Store X, Y and Z was Sterling's", you would have been making sense.

Your original statement was akin to saying "The Dallas version of 7-11 was Gomer's Bait Shack", because that was the only place you could buy a Coke and live bait at the time you grew up until 7-11's were everywhere in Dallas.

31 minutes ago, rage-a-holic said:

Again, you're wrong.

If you had said, "When I lived in Dallas after the end of the Korean war, Dallas' version of Store X, Y and Z was Sterling's", you would have been making sense.

Your original statement was akin to saying "The Dallas version of 7-11 was Gomer's Bait Shack", because that was the only place you could buy a Coke and live bait at the time you grew up until 7-11's were everywhere in Dallas.

giphy.gif?cid=ecf05e4738946a0e20f8a00963 

Because Sterling's was unique to Dallas, it was "Dallas' version" of the other two, their presence or absence or the timing of same is irrelevant.  They were not from Dallas.

/enough of this

14 minutes ago, Lobo said:

I'm very afraid to ask what a "ringmeat kid" is?  

Rage probably recognizes it.  I'd be disappointed if he didn't.

Salem's Lot

Like Stand By Me, and portions of It, some excellent writing capturing the feeling of being a little kid.

Edited by TwiceHorn

2 hours ago, CHEF DIESEL said:

spacer.png

Thank you thank you thank you.  I knew it was in that area.  Grandma got her first pair of "city" shoes there.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

You are correct, sir.  I remember my parents talking about that.  That apparently is along Preston, on the east side, south of Villanova/Berkshire.  Where Orvis, Houstons or Hillstone, and others are now.

That is probably what BevoSwag is thinking of.

Man, that was the boonies back then.

Northwest-Highway-at-Preston-before.jpg

Hard to imagine all that retail there at that time, but rich folks to be served and the rent was cheaper than HP Village.

Also, a bit more my time, the Sanger Harris in Preston Center west was always a Sangers.  Titches became Foleys, then Foleys bought Sangers.  As a result of this, briefly there were two Foleys stores in NorthPark, the former Titches and the former Sangers.