Moody Center

cdain3

8 minutes ago, Goodman said:

Underground? 

name.jpg

No. Above ground where the scrubs are in this diagram on the arena's west (left) side.

spacer.png

Also, 20th street may or may not still be publicly accessible. 20th actually going to be the underground freight entrance from San Jacinto for trucks accessing the arena. I don't know if they will be able to do an underground entrance and at grade street. 

Edited by Pasken
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/4/2020 at 5:18 PM, Goodman said:

Underground? 

name.jpg

On 5/4/2020 at 5:24 PM, Pasken said:

No. Above ground where the scrubs are in this diagram on the arena's west (left) side.

spacer.png

Also, 20th street may or may not still be publicly accessible. 20th actually going to be the underground freight entrance from San Jacinto for trucks accessing the arena. I don't know if they will be able to do an underground entrance and at grade street. 

I came across a rendering of the basketball practice facility I had not seen.

Basketball Practice Facility

https://texassports.com/sports/2020/4/30/basketball_rowing_facility.aspx

Edited by Somnio
  • Like 2

On 5/2/2020 at 1:29 PM, SimonBolivar said:

SMU - Moody Coliseum: Dallas, TX 75275: Visit Dallas

Pony Up?

I've been to a couple of SMU game in this arena and watched the game from the corner hospitality suite. 

When in the arena, it feels like money. It's a great atmosphere for the fans and I would guess for the players as well. Especially compared to the old Moody Coliseum or the morgue that is The Drum in Austin.

• Hook 'Em 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Too soon man, too soon.

Sometimes work has me look at dozens of renderings in a given week.  I don't think I've ever noticed a car pulling a David Blaine before, but I can tell now...that that's all I be focusing on whenever I look at another one for the rest of my life.  

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
1 hour ago, hornfromdallas said:

very underwhelming for the amount paid 

UT ain't paying a dime...

Privately funded without using any university or public funding, construction of the Moody Center is expected to create thousands of permanent and temporary jobs for the community. The new arena will be built on land fully owned by the university, the new arena comes at no risk to the City of Austin or taxpayers.

https://www.livenationentertainment.com/2019/12/oak-view-group-and-live-nation-to-officially-break-ground-on-moody-center-new-state-of-the-art-sports-and-entertainment-arena-in-austin/

Edited by Somnio

actually it will cost the university in terms of opportunity costs.  But that's another story for another thread. Also, the development office spent $500k chasing down this deal in hard costs. 

I dunno.  A needed new basketball arena costing $338 million being constructed with private dollars seems like a dream scenario.  Not many cities or universities could ever pull off something like that.  I'm not sure I see any potential gains lost.

I also think the arena looks fantastic.  I don't think the renderings are doing it justice.

Exterior Daytime.jpg

Interior Concourse.jpg

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Moody Center (@MoodyCenterATX) Tweeted:
𝘛𝘩𝘦 𝘥𝘢𝘸𝘯 𝘰𝘧 𝘢 𝘯𝘦𝘸 𝘦𝘳𝘢 𝘰𝘧 𝘭𝘪𝘷𝘦 𝘦𝘯𝘵𝘦𝘳𝘵𝘢𝘪𝘯𝘮𝘦𝘯𝘵 & 𝘴𝘱𝘰𝘳𝘵𝘴 𝘧𝘰𝘳 𝘈𝘶𝘴𝘵𝘪𝘯. 𝘊𝘰𝘮𝘪𝘯𝘨 𝘪𝘯 2022. https://t.co/NEAQVPdUUm https://twitter.com/MoodyCenterATX/status/1340287660116598786?s=20

EpmohdeXEAACOhi.jpeg

Edited by Somnio

21 hours ago, Somnio said:

𝘛𝘩𝘦 𝘥𝘢𝘸𝘯 𝘰𝘧 𝘢 𝘯𝘦𝘸 𝘦𝘳𝘢 𝘰𝘧 𝘭𝘪𝘷𝘦 𝘦𝘯𝘵𝘦𝘳𝘵𝘢𝘪𝘯𝘮𝘦𝘯𝘵 & 𝘴𝘱𝘰𝘳𝘵𝘴 𝘧𝘰𝘳 𝘈𝘶𝘴𝘵𝘪𝘯. Plenty of seats available for UT hoops games as long as Shaka Smart's Mediocrity Tour continues

boy oh boy!

23 hours ago, Somnio said:

𝘛𝘩𝘦 𝘥𝘢𝘸𝘯 𝘰𝘧 𝘢 𝘯𝘦𝘸 𝘦𝘳𝘢 𝘰𝘧 𝘭𝘪𝘷𝘦 𝘦𝘯𝘵𝘦𝘳𝘵𝘢𝘪𝘯𝘮𝘦𝘯𝘵 & 𝘴𝘱𝘰𝘳𝘵𝘴 𝘧𝘰𝘳 𝘈𝘶𝘴𝘵𝘪𝘯. 𝘊𝘰𝘮𝘪𝘯𝘨 𝘪𝘯 2022. https://t.co/NEAQVPdUUm https://twitter.com/MoodyCenterATX/status/1340287660116598786?s=20

EpmohdeXEAACOhi.jpeg

Thanks for the picture. Hurry up and finish it!

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/10/2020 at 11:17 PM, Somnio said:

I dunno.  A needed new basketball arena costing $338 million being constructed with private dollars seems like a dream scenario.  Not many cities or universities could ever pull off something like that.  I'm not sure I see any potential gains lost.

I also think the arena looks fantastic.  I don't think the renderings are doing it justice.

Exterior Daytime.jpg

Interior Concourse.jpg

Wouldn't be a Texas facility without escalators.

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/10/2020 at 11:03 PM, Lobo said:

actually it will cost the university in terms of opportunity costs.  But that's another story for another thread. Also, the development office spent $500k chasing down this deal in hard costs. 

times like this were never foreseen when the financing deal was made and of course the facility is a year away from opening, but you have to wonder what demand for indoor arenas and concerts will be at least for the next few years

most likely in Austin there will be plenty of "young" that will start saying fuck it to mask and not going to large events if this drags on.......and if things get better I would imagine concert demand will be through the roof (lets hope Texas has some profit sharing in the model), but still there is a better than fair chance that Texas could be opening this facility with reduced demand/capacity and at a time when athletics revenues are down significantly overall and the department is trying to come back from 2+ years of reduced demand and revenues......it would be bad to be making that opening at that time with the expense falling on the athletics department

the flip side is if there is not profit sharing in the deal and things improve it could be opening at a time when there are dozens of major acts looking to hit the road and a lot of pent up demand to see those acts and Texas misses out on some big revenues.....if that is the case hopefully The Drum will still be open and Texas might be able to work a deal to book acts there and have more than one act a night or back to back to back major bands coming through Austin and using The Drum some and Texas could cash in still

best would be Texas has some profit sharing and The Drum is available and usable for a period of time and both of them are booking events in big numbers even on the same night or some back to back

Edited by ButtFumble

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...