Moody Center

cdain3

From another board:

Spoke to someone from LHF today and was told that students will have 270 degrees of courtside seating in the 11,000 seat arena. So they will sit on the court on both end lines and in the sections across from the benches and scorer’s table.

Other season ticket holders and single game tickets will be behind the bench and above the students presumably.

Should be a great atmosphere more akin to other big time programs!

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Drool 1

6 minutes ago, Machinator said:

From another board:

It's funny what you're totally oblivious to as a high school kid, but when I first got to campus in the mid 90s I was absolutely stunned and heartbroken when I learned at my first game that student seating was up in the rafters. This is going to be absolutely amazing. 

• Hook 'Em 3

22 hours ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

It's funny what you're totally oblivious to as a high school kid, but when I first got to campus in the mid 90s I was absolutely stunned and heartbroken when I learned at my first game that student seating was up in the rafters. This is going to be absolutely amazing. 

Nothing pissed me off more than sitting up there and looking down into the empty bowl because all of the blue hairs were drinking in the alumni club or didn’t show up at all. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, pacman said:

What will happen to the old practice (Cooley) facility by Erwin?

According to the master plans...

https://www.documentcloud.org/documents/698151-5-2013aacpp142-231.html#document/p37

The Cooley practice facility will be converted/combined with an “academic” building they are building right next to it for the med school.  The Erwin Center has plans to be demolished and rebuilt as regular buildings of unnamed purposes as well (though one would assume related to the med school).  The nearby parking lot will also be developed as a new parking garage.

image.thumb.gif.8ec8d00b2197d3c5fd3dfbc09ccf9644.gif

image.thumb.gif.f782dc8cf450ea8f143bb6d199aa474c.gif

• Hook 'Em 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/29/2021 at 11:21 AM, TKthunder2 said:

https://www.documentcloud.org/documents/698151-5-2013aacpp142-231.html#document/p37

The Cooley practice facility will be converted/combined with an “academic” building they are building right next to it for the med school.  The Erwin Center has plans to be demolished and rebuilt as regular buildings of unnamed purposes as well (though one would assume related to the med school).  The nearby parking lot will also be developed as a new parking garage.

How appropriate that Cooley will be part of the Med school. Great news.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 4/29/2021 at 11:21 AM, TKthunder2 said:

It would make a lot more sense for the Cooley Building to become part of the sports medicine/orthopedic departments at the medical school.

• Hook 'Em 1

29 minutes ago, Ghost of LL said:

It would make a lot more sense for the Cooley Building to become part of the sports medicine/orthopedic departments at the medical school.

Interesting enough, lots of debate internally about UT’s sports medicine with Dell Med school and how to build that out to be world class and on the flip side how we are still sending our athletes to St. David’s simply because they pay a butt load in advertising to UT athletics.

• Hook 'Em 1

Looking at it more closely and Colley is def being demolished. It's literally on top of the Erwin Center complex. You get a better view when you look at it at an angle from the east side of the building. They are not separate buildings. They're more like twin towers on top of the same podium. 

Edited by Pasken

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Post Oak said:

People who post shit like this make me rage. Honor these people.  Honor those people.  Fuck off

tenor.gif?itemid=12284774

You mean, like, providing them funds to “honor” the bid their employer negotiated to earn the contract and provide income for their employees?…

Nah, that ain’t it. 

Edited by MuellerHorn
  • Haha 1

On 5/29/2021 at 4:34 PM, realgreggym said:

Hopefully Cooley will not be torn down but if so, something needs to be done to remember DR Cooley and his generosity and his love

for UT. 

The building is far from an architectural marvel. Just call the new practice facility the "Cooley Center for Athletic Development at the [New Donor] Building" or something like that.

1 hour ago, Horn of Gabriel said:

Uhh, so dumb question amnesty...how do you get those big ass cranes out after they build themselves in?

When the skyscraper is done, the crane is quite literally dismantled, piece by piece. This happens several ways, depending on the type of crane, but most cranes are made to be easily taken apart. Usually the large crane will hoist up a smaller crane that is connected to the top of the skyscraper. This allows workers to detach pieces of the primary crane and slowly lower them back down to the ground. The mast itself and the base of the crane are lowered down by the same hydraulic rams that lifted them up, with each level of the mast being taken apart before the base is lowered.

To remove the second crane, a third crane is often sent up, even smaller, to lower the pieces of the second crane down. This third crane is small enough to be taken apart by hand and removed through elevator shafts or other inner passageways, leaving the skyscraper intact and all the crane pieces disassembled on the ground. Sometimes cranes at the center of complicated skyscraper structures cannot be removed this way, and in those cases the pieces are taken away by powerful helicopters, although this is a much rarer method.

I'd imagine given the type of building this is, that there's big enough entryways to get the crane pieces moved out of the central area. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, texifornia said:

The building is far from an architectural marvel. Just call the new practice facility the "Cooley Center for Athletic Development at the [New Donor] Building" or something like that.

I understand but its not about the architecture its about the man. If the family has no problem with your suggestion, that's great.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...