14 dead in Cancun

markstanco

I posted another thread a few days ago asking about all inclusives in Cancun or Playa.

Looks like the missus and I will try to get the one with  fortified concrete and cannons.  Do any of them offer F-22 bombing rides instead of parasailing?

Edited by phdhorn
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, Hanrahan said:

For years they used to have a policia checkpoint just outside Cozumel.  It was gone when we sent in November and now the gangsters are apparently shooting QR into tiny little bits.

So, like, in the water?

• Like 3

We just booked a trip to Cancun for August.  Wife is not going to be happy about this.  She's been going on and on about the Cancun mayor that got whacked by the cartels about 10 years ago.  I finally talked her into going because of the recent bombings in Austin.   Making the case that you aren't really safe anywhere - even at home.   Now this shit.  FML.  Seriously, she is going to want to cancel the trip.

Do you need me to set off a bomb at your house to really drive that point home?
  • Like 1

On 4/13/2018 at 3:14 PM, JimmyHoffa said:

I get the cause for concern but it would be like people going to Chicago to a Cubs game being worried about getting shot.  

Chicago has a population of 2.7 million people and has 120 murders in 2018. Chicago's murders are confined to certain areas of the city.

Cancun has a population of 542 thousand people and has over 100 murders in 2018. Cancun's murders are wherever the cartels decide to kill people.

So yeah, I would feel more safe in Wrigleyville than I would in any part of Cancun.

• Like 2

I’m not sure what to think about the violence. Was going to take my kids to Mexico. I’ll go alone for sure. Not sure with them though.

We don’t stay in the resorts we rent a house and rent a beater of a rental car. Drink beer not pina coladas. Cenotes, off the beaten path restaurants, fishing, etc. I don’t like crowds of drunk Americans generally. Not sure though with kids.

I stopped going to Mexico a few years ago. Tried the DR, but it was too hilostile and dirty.  

Now all my recent trips have been in Cuba. God, talk about beautiful pristine beaches.  

Incredibly safe (a tolaterian government Will do that) with friendly people. 
I thought Sosua was colonized and friendly. I know several guys who rave about it. Of course, they are single and going for the wimmenz.

Was just in Guanajuato in January with my wife and toddler. Didn't see any signs of anything shady while I was there. Closest thing was a bunch of well armed federales who came to eat at the restaurant we were eating menudo at in Doctor Mora, Guanajuato because of the livestock auction where there was large amounts of cash.

I’m not sure what to think about the violence. Was going to take my kids to Mexico. I’ll go alone for sure. Not sure with them though.

We don’t stay in the resorts we rent a house and rent a beater of a rental car. Drink beer not pina coladas. Cenotes, off the beaten path restaurants, fishing, etc. I don’t like crowds of drunk Americans generally. Not sure though with kids.

This is what the kids and I do. Just be smart about where you go. Since i’m with the kids, I’m not going out and getting wasted and we usually heard back to the condo or house after dinner and aren’t really driving around much after dark. Experiencing the local places is fun and we’ve never had a problem.

On 4/13/2018 at 4:50 PM, wood said:

Belize is nice for the beaches & diving, of course, but afaik it's no safer than Mx. T&C, CR, both much farther and more expensive to get to than CUN. We do plan to get back to CR soon with the boys though & Siesta looks very nice, but I doubt we could do it cheaper than we do Mx for comparable accommodations. Vieques was pretty nice in PR when we went, before the island got pretty much destroyed. But that was a pretty long haul compared to the flight to CUN. All fucking day in planes or airports. Not much better for any of the islands over there, but some of them are very nice. I personally am very partial to the Latin flavor of Mx though. 

If by Belize you mean Ambergris Caye and Caye Caulker I agree.  Most of the rest of the country is dirt poor and Belize City is the biggest shithole I’ve visited and I’ve visited a few. 

5 minutes ago, VABuckeye said:

If by Belize you mean Ambergris Caye and Caye Caulker I agree.  Most of the rest of the country is dirt poor and Belize City is the biggest shithole I’ve visited and I’ve visited a few. 

Yeah. I've never been, but I've heard it's  not great.

23 hours ago, wild_turkey said:

Chicago has a population of 2.7 million people and has 120 murders in 2018. Chicago's murders are confined to certain areas of the city.

Cancun has a population of 542 thousand people and has over 100 murders in 2018. Cancun's murders are wherever the cartels decide to kill people.

So yeah, I would feel more safe in Wrigleyville than I would in any part of Cancun.

I’ve never had two seperate gun fights with automatic weapons fire break out within a block of my location in Chicago nor have I had to bribe the local police chief to give me back my documents.  

The first time you have to look at your third story hotel balcony and try to decide if you could climb down it if the gunfire gets closer will be the last time you ever “want” to go to Mexico. F that place. 

Edited by Bobby_Batronic

I'm writing this from the Andaz Papagayo in Costa Rica. The flight from Houston is only 3 hours via SWA. The vibe here is far better than Cancun. Everyone is super friendly. You can drink the water. There are monkeys in the trees.

Well worth the marginally longer travel time and slightly higher cost. And this comes from someone who loves Cancun.

Just be smart about where you go.

Which at this point, might mean choosing a beach destination other than Mexico.

I’ve been to Playa del Carmen a couple times and really liked it. I would consider going back under the right circumstances, but it doesn’t really offer enough to draw me back when the cartels are killing people. It’s cheap but my life isn’t cheap and there are lots of other great beach options that don’t involve drug violence.

^^^ for some reason can't type a response after i've quoted someone. 

how can you be smart about where you go when the violence is random and there have been tourists targeted at resorts?  we went with our family of 6 back in nov and loved it, but if this had been happening on the scale it is now i'd have serious reservations.