14 dead in Cancun

markstanco

16 hours ago, Bobby_Batronic said:

I’ve never had two seperate gun fights with automatic weapons fire break out within a block of my location in Chicago nor have I had to bribe the local police chief to give me back my documents.  

The first time you have to look at your third story hotel balcony and try to decide if you could climb down it if the gunfire gets closer will be the last time you ever “want” to go to Mexico. F that place. 

For a guy who didn't even get killed, you sure are hard to please.

• Like 3

On 4/13/2018 at 1:43 PM, wood said:

Hasn't been bad for me driving in Cancun and down the coast to and in PdC, PA, Akumal, & Tulum. Where was it bad for you?

Driving to chichen itza we saw a couple of young guys with machine guns on the side of the road. One waved for us to stop. F-that

11 hours ago, gsoda3 said:

^^^ for some reason can't type a response after i've quoted someone. 

how can you be smart about where you go when the violence is random and there have been tourists targeted at resorts?  we went with our family of 6 back in nov and loved it, but if this had been happening on the scale it is now i'd have serious reservations.

No need for reservations.

2 hours ago, Bevo said:

Driving to chichen itza we saw a couple of young guys with machine guns on the side of the road. One waved for us to stop. F-that

Yeah, that's not cool, but I think in the post I quoted, he was referring to the traffic/driving.

No mention of the jet ski driveby in Cancun last wk? Disappointed!

Do tell ... still trying to figure out my vacay plans with the kids. Headed to PV next month without them and not worried. Yucatan with them is still freaking me out some. Sucks bc it may be one of my most fav places. Especially away from the tourist spots. Ugh

Puerto Vallarta is a totally different animal than Cancun. You have 0 worries I believe. So many expats and "white" owned businesses in old Town. You will be fine. Are you gonna stay in PV or NV? Nueva Vallarta is even safer but not as fun. Enjoy the Malecon and I recommend even going further south to Playa Convhas Chinas. You will have a great time

18 minutes ago, Zepol87 said:

Puerto Vallarta is a totally different animal than Cancun. You have 0 worries I believe. So many expats and "white" owned businesses in old Town. You will be fine. Are you gonna stay in PV or NV? Nueva Vallarta is even safer but not as fun. Enjoy the Malecon and I recommend even going further south to Playa Convhas Chinas. You will have a great time

Is it true there is a poop river flowing into the ocean?

Belize is a poor country, but you don't have to worry about cartels.  It's also a lot better off than it's neighbors. If you want to see awful poverty, go to Guatemala.  Also in Belize you can take a puddle jumper straight from the airport to the islands, if you're worried.  I've been 3 times over the last few years and have never been worried by anything I've seen.  I wouldn't go wandering around Belize City, but it's fine to take your family to.

40 minutes ago, Zepol87 said:

I wouldn't say that. This happened at the restaurant right next to my hotel last time I went there. Hell I walked by this restaurant 30 minutes before this happened.

http://www.latimes.com/world/la-fg-puerto-vallarta-el-chapo-kidnapping-20160816-snap-story.html

Also when I was there, I got this phone call saying my credit card number had been stolen. The woman on the line even knew what bank I used. She asked for my social so I immediately hung up and called Chase. Of course it was fake. Once I got home, I cancelled and got a new card for piece of mind which was a huge pain in the ass to switch all my online accounts to my new cc number. It was the same cc I used to book the hotel so I'm pretty sure some asshole hotel worker did something with it. This was a "5-star" hotel by the way.

Fuck that shithole. Never going there again

Cancun: Five dead bodies are found in a car at the vacation hotspot as drug cartel war spills onto the beaches of the Mexican resort town

• Five bodies found in a car in Cancun in what is likely yet more cartel murders
  • Car parked in front of a gym that was threatened and near prosecutor's office
  • More than 100 people have been murdered in holiday spot this year alone
  • Escalating gang violence threatens to hurt tourism economy of the beach town

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5659839/Five-dead-bodies-car-Cancun-likely-drug-cartel-hit.html#ixzz5DmpGAxQ8

Edited by BottleRocket
fonts and shit were huge! HUGE!

I have a cousin getting married in Playa in June.  We're not going because we already had 2 big trips planned this year, but I am starting to get nervous for them and I'm not one who usually worries about travel.  I wonder what has changed that the violence is finally spilling in to the resort areas?  Is this a new cartel that just doesn't give a fuck or is the government about to lose the last wisp of control they had?  Or both?

Edited by kevwun

1 hour ago, kevwun said:

I have a cousin getting married in Playa in June.  We're not going because we already had 2 big trips planned this year, but I am starting to get nervous for them and I'm not one who usually worries about travel.  I wonder what has changed that the violence is finally spilling in to the resort areas?  Is this a new cartel that just doesn't give a fuck or is the government about to lose the last wisp of control they had?  Or both?

I wonder if it is some sort of pushback against the police. A "fuck you" of sorts.

i have a trip planned for july to a hotel in playacar.  taking the wife, teenage kids and kids' friends.  intent is to get to the resort and not leave the bitch.  buying my own got damned tequilla and vodka.  will order virgin drinks from the bar and add my own un-raped alcohol.  hoping these things will mitigate the chances of ending up as a statistic.  

i'd be lying if i said that i'm not reconsidering.  

I wouldn't blame you.  I have no problems going somewhere where you need to avoid certain areas and use common sense.  Cartels that like to indiscriminately use machine guns and bombs isn't something you have control over.  All it takes is one person they're after being in your vicinity.

Edited by kevwun

I know a guy who does risk assessment for government employee travel. He said everything between Nuevo Laredo and matamoras is a total shit show. A power struggle is going on in that area and no one is safe. Pretty much the whole state of tamaulipis and most of nuevo laredo are up for grabs right now. His sources are local so id listen to him. 

• 2 weeks later...

So currently thinking tulum and a day trip to Bacalar with the gf and my three boys. Got the ex to sign the passport papers and applying in the next two weeks. Anyone here with experience in Bacalar or the drive from tulum to there? We hear the cenotes there are incredible.

On 4/26/2018 at 1:05 PM, bluto said:

I don't think any American has willingly gone to that area in 10 years 

My 80 yo dad just got back after flying to Monterrey and driving down south of Ciudad Victoria. Everything went well. I sure as hell wouldn't do it. One year he got stopped by cops who were trying to get like $100. He just kept telling them "take me to your jefe". They got frustrated and just let him go. I told him geezus just give them the $100.

1 hour ago, troph said:

So currently thinking tulum and a day trip to Bacalar with the gf and my three boys. Got the ex to sign the passport papers and applying in the next two weeks. Anyone here with experience in Bacalar or the drive from tulum to there? We hear the cenotes there are incredible.

I don’t get you guys & girls who have to get your Mexico on at all costs. We debated this a few years and texasdago insisted that there is nothing to worry about in tourist areas, yet it keeps getting worse and worse. You can go to Belize or Costa Rica in the same amount of time for less money, see more shit, and not have to worry about ending up in a drum of acid. Or go to Grand Cayman if you want is a beach. GC is more expensive, sure, but there is zero risk of anything besides alcohol poisoning and zika. CR is just as cheap as Mexico without all of the bullshit. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, troph said:

You might wanna try this thread. You won't get any useful help in this motherfucker...

We were just in Cancun a month ago and had zero issues and at no point did I ever feel unsafe or worried that something may happen.  We stuck to the airport, major roadways, and tourist areas.  We did not try to buy or sell cocaine, nor did we try to join a cartel, or go to the bad side of town at night so that may have had something to do with it.  

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, Bill Brasky said:

We were just in Cancun a month ago and had zero issues and at no point did I ever feel unsafe or worried that something may happen.  We stuck to the airport, major roadways, and tourist areas.  We did not try to buy or sell cocaine, nor did we try to join a cartel, or go to the bad side of town at night so that may have had something to do with it.  

Yep. Neighbor across the street just got back. Stayed in Cancun, not out in Playa, Tulum, Isla, etc. Still, zero problems. All good, as usual.  We'll be in Tulum & Isla again in July. Can't wait.

Edited by wood

I’m not anti-Mexico in any way, nor do I blame anyone for still wanting to go today, but to say that it’s safe because you just went and nothing happened and you felt safe the whole time is completely useless to everybody. You have no idea whether you were in danger or not. I mean  I don’t care how aware of your surroundings you are, everybody always feels safe right up until the bullets start flying. Joe Bob the vacationer with his family feeling safe has nothing to do with the fact that he may or may not have been surrounded by cartel members at  any given time without knowing it. 

• Like 1

I’m not anti-Mexico in any way, nor do I blame anyone for still wanting to go today, but to say that it’s safe because you just went and nothing happened and you felt safe the whole time is completely useless to everybody. You have no idea whether you were in danger or not. I mean  I don’t care how aware of your surroundings you are, everybody always feels safe right up until the bullets start flying. Joe Bob the vacationer with his family feeling safe has nothing to do with the fact that he may or may not have been surrounded by cartel members at  any given time without knowing it. 
Truth.

It's all good until it is not. Then it's too late.

Better safe than sorry.

2 hours ago, Chuychanga said:

41 minutes ago, Brothahorn said:

Truth.

It's all good until it is not. Then it's too late.

Better safe than sorry.

Same thing can be said for most any big city in any country. You're safe til you aren't, and that goes for nicer parts of town, too. Nobody's being particularly helpful either when they say there's gang violence in Mexico, so we're safer staying here in the U.S.

I've been to Cozumel/Isla/Playa/Tulum probably close to 30 times in the last 21 years and I've never once felt threatened or encountered even a slightly sketchy situation. Can't say that about Austin, or Houston, or San Antonio, or Dallas, or wherever.  I've also never heard of any tourist being killed in gang violence. 

Could it happen? Of course it could, just as it could easily happen here or just about anywhere else. Should I just hole up in my house so those scary gangsters won't hurt me? Y'all can do that. We won't be.

On the islands, where we've spent the vast majority of our time down there, we're safer than we are here in Austin. I don't think there's been a murder on either of the two in like the last 40 years. There's gang/drug violence all over the world, and in the U.S. There's cartel violence here too. There have been cartel shootouts that I know of in Houston and Austin in the last 10 years, and probably other places as well. 

Oh, and re: the tainted/bootlegged alcohol, y'all better watch out for that shit here, too. A friend of mine who's one of the steadiest, most level-headed guys I know seems to have had a bout with some bad tequila in a New Braunfels restaurant a week ago. Reputable restaurant that he and his fam have gone to for years. Had less than 2 margs & then started suffering methanol poisoning symptoms similar to, but milder than the ones the girl & her brother had at that resort pool. Gotta be careful everywhere. I dunno how to avoid the bad booze though, except to only drink what you buy at the store or not drink at all.

Edited by wood
  • Like 2

That wasn’t my point. I’ve traveled to Mexico at least 20 times a year for work for the last 15 years. I love Mexico and I’ll be there next week. My point was simply how ridiculous it sounds when any of us, me included, says “I just went and didn’t feel threatened therefore it must be safe.” 

51 minutes ago, wood said:

Same thing can be said for most any big city in any country. You're safe til you aren't, and that goes for nicer parts of town, too. Nobody's being particularly helpful either when they say there's gang violence in Mexico, so we're safer staying here in the U.S.

I've been to Cozumel/Isla/Playa/Tulum probably close to 30 times in the last 21 years and I've never once felt threatened or encountered even a slightly sketchy situation. Can't say that about Austin, or Houston, or San Antonio, or Dallas, or wherever.  I've also never heard of any tourist being killed in gang violence. 

Could it happen? Of course it could, just as it could easily happen here or just about anywhere else. Should I just hole up in my house so those scary gangsters won't hurt me? Y'all can do that. We won't be.

On the islands, where we've spent the vast majority of our time down there, we're safer than we are here in Austin. I don't think there's been a murder on either of the two in like the last 40 years. There's gang/drug violence all over the world, and in the U.S. There's cartel violence here too. There have been cartel shootouts that I know of in Houston and Austin in the last 10 years, and probably other places as well. 

Oh, and re: the tainted/bootlegged alcohol, y'all better watch out for that shit here, too. A friend of mine who's one of the steadiest, most level-headed guys I know seems to have had a bout with some bad tequila in a New Braunfels restaurant a week ago. Reputable restaurant that he and his fam have gone to for years. Had less than 2 margs & then started suffering methanol poisoning symptoms similar to, but milder than the ones the girl & her brother had at that resort pool. Gotta be careful everywhere. I dunno how to avoid the bad booze though, except to only drink what you buy at the store or not drink at all.

The fucking boogeyman trope of “oh, such and such place is safer than home” is so tired and silly that it isn’t worth the fucking bullet. You love Mexico and you want to move there and have babies with it. We get it. 

51 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

The fucking boogeyman trope of “oh, such and such place is safer than home” is so tired and silly that it isn’t worth the fucking bullet. You love Mexico and you want to move there and have babies with it. We get it. 

Boogeyman trope? LOL. It's not some made up bullshit or an emotional argument. It's based on stats. The islands where we spend time are statistically much safer than here in the U.S. And I don't love Mexico so much as I love the Yucatan. I stopped going across the border  from Brownsville, etc, long ago, & I've never had any desire to go to the west coast of Mexico. There are a couple of other areas I wouldn't mind visiting though.

56 minutes ago, El Diablo said:

You can buy 1 lottery ticket or you can buy 20 lottery tickets. The odds are you aren't winning the lottery either way but the only way to be absolutely certain you don't win is by not buying a ticket.

The thing is, people are buying those tickets no matter where they are. They aren't guaranteeing a damn thing by staying here. They just think they're safe because someone tells them Mexico is oh so much more dangerous than it is here...

1 hour ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

It’s just as ridiculous to say “Oh, somebody got shot so I won’t be safe.”

maybe if ONE person got shot and it was due to a random incident.  but these aren't isolated instances and there's no pattern to gauge your expectation of where it's going to happen next.  

Tulum and Bacalar are full of white people lol. Tulum actually reminded me of Austin with all the hipsters and yoga classes.

The drive is pretty much straight. Bacalar is a safe area. Lots of police presence. We ate at Kai Pez in Bacalar. Very good food and drinks and access to the water. They have some boat tours as well which can take you across the lake.

Tulum is nice. Lots of places to hang out and relax. Lots of bike riding. Went to the ruins as well worth the visit. Wear sunscreen and comfortable shoes. Water is a must. It's a good walk to the actual entrance and go early cuz there's tons of people.

Currently in Cancun right now. Head back to Austin Tuesday.

Also to convert pesos just multiply the peso amt by 0.5 and that's the US price. Rough estimate of course.

82abdf1aa52090f13591b1f7e8e0c5f9.jpgcd06a1255e3768349c25ae4decf39110.jpg

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, Jersey Man10 said:

Tulum and Bacalar are full of white people lol. Tulum actually reminded me of Austin with all the hipsters and yoga classes.

The drive is pretty much straight. Bacalar is a safe area. Lots of police presence. We ate at Kai Pez in Bacalar. Very good food and drinks and access to the water. They have some boat tours as well which can take you across the lake.

Tulum is nice. Lots of places to hang out and relax. Lots of bike riding. Went to the ruins as well worth the visit. Wear sunscreen and comfortable shoes. Water is a must. It's a good walk to the actual entrance and go early cuz there's tons of people.

Currently in Cancun right now. Head back to Austin Tuesday.

Also to convert pesos just multiply the peso amt by 0.5 and that's the US price. Rough estimate of course.

That's no shit about Tulum being overrun with hipster doofi. Unreal. How far is it on down from Tulum to Bacalar?

And that tainted tequila made you miss a zero, amigo. You meant 0.05, right? i.e. 100 pesos = about $5. $1 = almost 20 pesos.

Edited by wood

21 hours ago, closetojumping said:

I don’t get you guys & girls who have to get your Mexico on at all costs. We debated this a few years and texasdago insisted that there is nothing to worry about in tourist areas, yet it keeps getting worse and worse. You can go to Belize or Costa Rica in the same amount of time for less money, see more shit, and not have to worry about ending up in a drum of acid. Or go to Grand Cayman if you want is a beach. GC is more expensive, sure, but there is zero risk of anything besides alcohol poisoning and zika. CR is just as cheap as Mexico without all of the bullshit. 

I’m not sure Cayman is more expensive than Cabo in terms of lodging. I go to cayman all the time, and it is undoubtedly the best beach I’ve been to. I’ve got a Cabo trip planned in August and I am a bit worried. 

34 minutes ago, Rex Kramer said:

I’m not sure Cayman is more expensive than Cabo in terms of lodging. I go to cayman all the time, and it is undoubtedly the best beach I’ve been to. I’ve got a Cabo trip planned in August and I am a bit worried. 

My wife was planning something in Cabo with a bunch of her friends for a week later this summer. Nope. They had guys on the road near the resort last year tell their driver to pull over and he kept going. I told her to find another beach not in Mexico. I think they may go to Belize. 

I know this. If Grand Cayman isn’t the most expensive place in the Caribbean and Latin America, it has to be top 3. We’ll be there soon nonetheless. It’s tough to beat from Houston. Basically 5 hours from door to door/beach. 

19 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

My wife was planning something in Cabo with a bunch of her friends for a week later this summer. Nope. They had guys on the road near the resort last year tell their driver to pull over and he kept going. I told her to find another beach not in Mexico. I think they may go to Belize. 

I know this. If Grand Cayman isn’t the most expensive place in the Caribbean and Latin America, it has to be top 3. We’ll be there soon nonetheless. It’s tough to beat from Houston. Basically 5 hours from door to door/beach. 

We’ve got a 40th bday party celebration with other couples. I’m pretty nervous. 

I don’t stay at Ritz when I go. I stay at Westin on Seven Mile and it’s usually cheaper than anywhere in Cabo. All the booze and food out is expensive as hell and generally makes the trips equal. Point being, Cayman is indeed expensive but so is Cabo. 

Cayman might be my favorite beach out there. No surf, swimming pool water, 3 hours from Dallas, locals are awesome people, kid shit like Stingray City and Rum Point  

Been to other parts of Caribbean and they took longer to get to and the beaches weren’t as nice.