My Lease, Their Lease

Mostly pissed that I didn't press the issue last year when he WAS in violation of his lease. Trying to be a decent guy, live and let live etc... and reached my snapping point a hair late as a result. Fuck this asshole.

• Like 1

Maybe say because your lease says you can't have that type of dog you felt safe moving there and now they they are allowed you no longer feel safe.  Potentially use those terms to break your lease without penalty?  

I'm starting to think that the manager may not be familiar with the language in the lease. We've exchanged emails and they seem to think that there is no specific language regarding specific breeds and said that I may just be looking at a copy of their old community policies. I replied that I was referring to my copy of my lease that went into effect on 03/01 of this year. Guess they don't expect folks to actually print all 40 or so pages because it's all done online with digital signatures now. I kind of got the impression that they were trying to sell me on a concept of "well, it may be in there but our policy says different", LOL. We shall see.

33 minutes ago, El Diablo said:

I'm starting to think that the manager may not be familiar with the language in the lease. We've exchanged emails and they seem to think that there is no specific language regarding specific breeds and said that I may just be looking at a copy of their old community policies. I replied that I was referring to my copy of my lease that went into effect on 03/01 of this year. Guess they don't expect folks to actually print all 40 or so pages because it's all done online with digital signatures now. I kind of got the impression that they were trying to sell me on a concept of "well, it may be in there but our policy says different", LOL. We shall see.

Well, if it's in yours and not in neighbor's, you have the disagreeable situation that it can be enforced by the landlord against you, but not against your neighbor.  And your rights in that situation are virtually zero, as you would have to show yourself to be an intended third party beneficiary of language not contained in their lease.

33 minutes ago, El Diablo said:

Don't lease agreements have specific language about noise (barking),  control of pets,  and cleanliness after pets  ?    Can you share the specific issue  ?

20 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Well, if it's in yours and not in neighbor's, you have the disagreeable situation that it can be enforced by the landlord against you, but not against your neighbor.  And your rights in that situation are virtually zero, as you would have to show yourself to be an intended third party beneficiary of language not contained in their lease.

I understand that but I'm beginning to wonder if his doesn't have the same language. She seemed to not know that the lease I signed does include the breed specific restrictions. When I brought it to her attention her response was "oh maybe that's old, and besides that's just a general Texas lease, it doesn't reflect our policies. Insurance companies blah, blah". But, they're not going to volunteer a copy of what the neighbor has on file.

8 minutes ago, El Diablo said:

I understand that but I'm beginning to wonder if his doesn't have the same language. She seemed to not know that the lease I signed does include the breed specific restrictions. When I brought it to her attention her response was "oh maybe that's old, and besides that's just a general Texas lease, it doesn't reflect our policies. Insurance companies blah, blah". But, they're not going to volunteer a copy of what the neighbor has on file.

Aha.  If it has the language, you might have a leg to stand on, but it would more likely be for terminating the lease or obtaining a rent reduction than forcing the landlord to enforce the prohibition.

4 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

Aha.  If it has the language, you might have a leg to stand on, but it would more likely be for terminating the lease or obtaining a rent reduction than forcing the landlord to enforce the prohibition.

Unfortunately, you are most likely correct. Who knows, this might be an opportunity to explore other living options. And as I type this that beast is raising hell. Fuck this place.

On 5/4/2020 at 5:53 PM, RDCanecutter said:

Is this the same place that had the pool?

Yes, it had a pool Now it's a pond.

On 5/4/2020 at 6:34 PM, woohorn said:

Q1: Does tennant one have privity to enforce the landlord's rights against tennant two?

Q2: What is tennant one's name?

A1: No

A2: Karen

That Tennant would be Victoria if I had my way.

On 5/4/2020 at 4:15 PM, Dbeasy said:

I have none of the facts of this case but I’ve learned to always side with the dog.

I'd take him in in a heartbeat, seems like a sweet guy and a g'boy. Not his fault he's a retard and doing dog things.