Korean movies

futureman

I think many of us saw parasite, which was pretty good.  recently in one of the movie threads someone recommended the wailing, which I watched yesterday and was surprisingly good.  I then watched train to busan, which was—you guessed it—pretty fuckin good.  

so does anyone here have a working knowledge of korean film and have any informed recommendations for what to watch next? 

46 minutes ago, rage-a-holic said:

Go watch everything by Chan-wook Park. These are the good ones:

• Joint Security Area
  • Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance
  • Oldboy
  • Lady Vengeance
  • Thirst

Add The Handmaiden to this list as well. That one is on Amazon Prime right now.

5 hours ago, futureman said:

so does anyone here have a working knowledge of korean film and have any informed recommendations for what to watch next? 

I do.  I go to the hood theatre (Dunvale) here in Houston just to watch them when they come out.  

First before the Koren stuff.  The Jap movie industry is running a far second behind best Korea, but when they put out a good one it's usually better than anything from anywhere.  Shoplifters

Korean recs

• Like 1

thanks for the recs.  also FYI to anyone else that is interested, I’ve noticed that tubi tv has tons of korean stuff.  most of what’s been listed here is available; there’s easily 100+ korean movies, many highly rated.  and it’s free.  

4 hours ago, BNB said:

I saw the devil

Chaser

The Man from nowhere

Memories of murder

The Man from Nowhere is the best Korean movie there is, IMO.  And its better than the vast majority of American movies in the crowded "one man killing machine who just wanted to be left alone" genre.  It also doesn't try to get trippy and cerebral like many of the other crossover Korean movies.

Oldboy was entertaining, well acted, and well directed, but the plot was really fucking stupid.  Sympathy was better, IMO.

I second the recommendations for Train to Busan and Thirst.  I'd also add The Host to the list.

A lot of great recs in this thread.

Train to Busan and I Saw the Devil are generally two of my recs when people ask what to watch if you don't mind the gore.

Some other movies not mentioned yet:

New World

Master

Along with the Gods

Mother

Korea makes some really great comedies as well.

Speedy Scandal/Scandal Makers (Amazon Prime)

Miracle in Cell No. 7

Hello Ghost

On 5/9/2020 at 12:04 AM, DallasGatr said:

https://images.app.goo.gl/34ttkLmL2etmam4k6

The Handmaiden is simply not getting enough love here. Great movie and you get to see these two hots in about as many types of sex and undress as is theoretically possible.

That's two girls from the kpop group Blackpink, and they're not in the movie.

• Like 1

That's two girls from the kpop group Blackpink, and they're not in the movie.

After further review it appears you are correct. Definite Google trickfuck if there ever was one. Regardless the two movie stars look a bunch like those 2 in the fake pic. Of course Korean hotties do have pretty much the same look, (no racist.)

3 hours ago, DallasGatr said:

After further review it appears you are correct. Definite Google trickfuck if there ever was one. Regardless the two movie stars look a bunch like those 2 in the fake pic. Of course Korean hotties do have pretty much the same look, (no racist.)

I think you need to enroll in the katfid school for how to tell non-white people apart.

• 6 months later...

Here's how I'd more or less rank the ones I've seen. I think the first five are among the best movies of the century, and even movies towards the bottom like Mother and Okja are really good

Oldboy
The Handmaiden
The Wailing
Burning
Parasite
Memories of Murder
The Man from Nowhere
I Saw the Devil
Lady Vengeance
Train to Busan
Age of Shadows
Tale of Two Sisters
Mother
Okja
Chaser
Sympathy for Mr Vengeance

• Hook 'Em 1

• 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...

JSA: early Park Chan-Wook movie (Oldboy, The Handmaiden, Lady Vengeance). An incident happens in the DMZ between North and South Korea, and a neutral investigator from Switzerland is sent in to figure out what happened. 7.5/10

• 3 weeks later...
28 minutes ago, Fud said:

Just watched A Bittersweet Life, same director as I Saw the Evil and A Tale of Two Sisters. Really damn good, and probably in the top quarter of S Korean movies I’ve seen. 9/10

hadn’t heard about this one. on what platform did you stream it?

On 8/10/2021 at 10:09 PM, kingkoopa6 said:

This show on netflix is awesome..

but holy fuck its hella long

season 1 - 20 episodes - 85min episodes....

bruh i feel like i started it months ago.. and im only on epi 14

image.thumb.png.f569a575dbaf9c51e0a518fd62beac3b.png

image.thumb.png.5cc7ad9a71385e68153309beb2545e80.png

What's it about? 

2 hours ago, Fud said:

What's it about? 

the lead is Korean born, adopted into an Italian family... grew up and became a hitman/lawyer for a well known family.

helped hide millions in gold under a Korean plaza/building  for a Chinese billionaire

It has a shit load of drama and comedy.

• Hook 'Em 1