RIP Don Shula

Trey3216

It's interesting to suppose what would have happened with Shula's career had Bear Bryant actually taken the Dolphins job in 1969, as he had agreed to do, before changing his mind. Does Shula stay with the Colts and turn them into a 1970s powerhouse? Or is there another high-profile job for him?

42 minutes ago, Scheiss Meister said:

RIP.  Coaching the only NFL team to have an undefeated season leaves a pretty big mark on the game.

Did Mercury Morris pop open a bottle of champagne to commemorate Don's passing?

Edited by Macanudo
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Ignatius said:

Funny that an undefeated team played on the road for the conference championship. In those days they used to alternate between the divisions rather than have it based on record....

Damn, I never knew that.

Yeah this one stings.  This was the first and only coach for the entirety of my formative football years, also the best age in NFL history imo.  Took a bunch of no names and made a fucking defense that no one wanted to face.  Took a dorky looking QB named Griese (rhymes with pussy) and made him a household name for throwing 11 passes.  Got a C word dude with a club of a forearm that he would not hesitate to stick inside your helmet until you would start tackling him with your face turned away, and turned him into an American Gladiator.  This was a man who could take your trash and turn it into treasure.  He found the best you had and turned it into the best he had.  At one point in the late 80's, early 90's he had the Miami Dolphins as the winningest professional sports team in the world.  My how times have changed.

RIP Mr. Shula, you were good.

Truth be told, I always thought he looked way more Italian than Hungarian.

• Like 2

When I saw the news this morning, my memory was that he hung on for too long and probably should have retired. I looked up his record to see if my memory was correct. I was 100% wrong.  He was in the playoffs 4 out of his last 6 seasons with a record of 3-4. Glad that the history corrected my memory.

RIP Coach. I'd take him over Lombardi. This is pretty impressive from Yahoo Sports:

Shula’s great 1972 team passed just 259 times in 14 regular season games and had just 264 net passing yards in three playoff games as it relied on a great running game and a standout defense. When Shula went back to the Super Bowl at the end of the 1984 season, it was with second-year quarterback Dan Marino, who set records with 5,084 passing yards and 48 touchdowns that season.

Edited by n64ra

The Dolphins were always my 2nd favorite team after the Oilers growing up because I played on the Dolphins in PeeWee and Marino was incredible. Not to mention the Oilers had become dogshit after firing Bum (fuck you Bud Adams) so the conflict of interest rarely ever came into play. Super Bowl XIX was a crushing blow it was one of many times throughout my childhood the team I wanted to win came out on the wrong side.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, PittsburghTiger said:

Yup, played New Year's Eve in Pittsburgh the week following The Immaculate Reception. The Dolphins won, 21-17. My parents were at the game.

Redskins beat Cowboys in NFC title game.

Larry Seiple with the fake punt to change the momentum around for the Dolphins and Shula benched Morrell for Griese who was injured earlier in the season.  

My parents took me to Hobby Airport to watch the Dolphins arrive for Super Bowl VII. I was struggling to get autographs in the crowds and found myself at the foot of the stairs to a team bus. I took a pic of Don Shula sitting in the first row behind the bus driver. He let me come onto the bus and get the players autographs as they got on the bus.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Bevo VIII said:

Who said I was putting it on steak? I enjoy steak sauce on fries as a condiment. I’ve heard some people on here even say A1 is good on a baked potato.

It's worcestershire or nothing, and that's good on a baked potato for damn sure.

On 5/5/2020 at 7:36 AM, Onboard 2.0 said:

It's worcestershire or nothing, and that's good on a baked potato for damn sure.

You have to understand a lot of regions have shitty food/meat/bbq and it becomes necessary to add a bunch of shit to it.    Anecdote: We had some good food in S.Florida, and yet shitty steaks/bbq and we didn't even know it.  Best fast food burger was at a place called Miami Subs.  Whataburger is dogfood compared to that burger.  Miami Subs changed from being regional to crossing state lines, focused on their profit margins, changed the food, became awful, and failed.  

Shula was a part of one of the best MNF games ever, the year the undefeated Bears came into Miami, without McMahon starting.  The game was huge. To say Miami was jazzed for this game would be a severe understatement.  Marino, Super Duper and Clayton, wow!  Bears were not the same without McMahon.  One of the biggest what ifs in the history of the league.  What if McMahon had been healthy his entire season?  Would Chicago have been the second undefeated team?  Probably yes.  15-1 and winning the super bowl, crushing the Patriots.  

On 5/9/2020 at 10:53 AM, orangecat92 said:

Shula was a part of one of the best MNF games ever, the year the undefeated Bears came into Miami, without McMahon starting.  The game was huge. To say Miami was jazzed for this game would be a severe understatement.  Marino, Super Duper and Clayton, wow!  Bears were not the same without McMahon.  One of the biggest what ifs in the history of the league.  What if McMahon had been healthy his entire season?  Would Chicago have been the second undefeated team?  Probably yes.  15-1 and winning the super bowl, crushing the Patriots.  

True, but let us not forget that Shula can coach a backup QB to an undefeated season + Super Bowl. :)