Home mechanics thread

Mojo Hand

1 hour ago, SA-KC_Horn said:

I have a new challenge a head of me. There is no heat coming out of the vents in my 07 dodge ram. 

First things to check:

Air bubbles in coolant 

Flush heater core

Hopefully, one of these two is the issue.

I still  need to replace the front wheel bearings too. Fml

The front wheel hubs aren't too bad, just time consuming

There something called a door actuator. It is a door that is activated electronically by your ac/heat controls. It open the correct passageway for heat or ac. Sometimes they get "stuck, or don't respond to directions from your controls. I changed mine on a Silverado. It's up under the dash on mine. Kind of a bitch to get to. Had to get a family friend with small hands to get back in there. Check youtube.

• Like 1

I have a new challenge a head of me. There is no heat coming out of the vents in my 07 dodge ram. 
First things to check:
Air bubbles in coolant 
Flush heater core

Hopefully, one of these two is the issue.

I still  need to replace the front wheel bearings too. Fml
Flushing the coolant isn't going to do anything to a stopped up heater core.

Most likely the temp door actuator is screwed up or the temp door is busted.

Good luck if you tackle this.

Have you had any coolant system work done lately? If so they didn't get all the air out (most likely). If not I'm guessing you're getting low on coolant due to a leak.
I have not had any work done. I've also never had it changed since I've owned the vehicle (bought at around 15k miles). It's weird. It just sounds like a tub of water is under the dash and I really only hear it when I'm coming to a slow quick stop or a quick push on the gas. There are no leaves in the windshield drain so i think it should be able to drain.

I have not had any work done. I've also never had it changed since I've owned the vehicle (bought at around 15k miles). It's weird. It just sounds like a tub of water is under the dash and I really only hear it when I'm coming to a slow quick stop or a quick push on the gas. There are no leaves in the windshield drain so i think it should be able to drain.
I'm talking antifreeze.

35 minutes ago, Jkwellborn said:

Yeah, when the coolant in my daily gets low, it starts to make that gurgling sound. Let it get cool and check it. Have you had your oil changed lately? A lot of places will check it and too it off for you around here.

I change my own oil.  It's above the minimum line but that's while it's cold.  Is it worth getting a coolant flush at 110K miles?  Assuming it's never had one.

I change my own oil.  It's above the minimum line but that's while it's cold.  Is it worth getting a coolant flush at 110K miles?  Assuming it's never had one.
I wouldn't. Still have 40k of life left on the coolant, plus you have a coolant leak, don't want to pay for coolant twice.

One day when the cooling system is at operating temp and the engine is running, pop the hood and look around for seeps or pin holes in the hoses, especially around the connections. Wiggle the hoses where they connect. The plastic connectors will go bad and let them leak some.

• 1 month later...

I'm looking to do a brake job on my ford explorer soon.  I was shopping around the internet and came across brake kits from 1aauto.com that seemed to be priced pretty low.  They are Nakamoto brand rotors and pads which I am totally unfamiliar with.  Does anybody have any experience with this brand?

• 1 month later...
I'm doing an oil analysis via Blackstone Labs on this next oil change.  If I post results here, can anyone provide input or am I better off at BobIsTheOilGuy?  Anyone done one before?  My car is a 2013 Tahoe with 110K miles

I have done it twice. They spell it out for you in the report pretty well, honestly.

Had to replace the crank position sensor on the old pathfinder a few weeks ago. It took a lot of rough running and dieing whe driving to get it to finally throw a code for that one, so it had a lot of fuel rich stuff and or flooding involved. Now I'm getting a P0420, catalytic converter. Chances I can try some way to clean it out and resolve the issue? Or am i gonna have to get a new catalytic converter?

I'm doing an oil analysis via Blackstone Labs on this next oil change.  If I post results here, can anyone provide input or am I better off at BobIsTheOilGuy?  Anyone done one before?  My car is a 2013 Tahoe with 110K miles
I just sent one off for my 07 cummins. I need to see what the current state is before I increase my oil change intervals with my oil bypass filtration system.