Name drop a former college football player who people may have forgotten about

Goo Punch

Someone did this thread on the hoops board back on TOS and it was an enjoyable trip down memory lane. The impetus for me starting this thread right now is this IG post from VY:

And who did I see commenting on that post? None other than the helmet defecator himself, Tommie Harris. I had totally forgotten about that guy, despite how much I used to hate him. Crazy for me to think that it's been 17 years since he was playing at OU. Time flies. OU still sucks. 

Edited by Goo Punch
  • Like 1

43 minutes ago, futureman said:

maxresdefault.jpg

my folks didn’t go to UT so I didn’t really follow the horns growing up.  this guy, along with the ‘92 cowboys, made me a football fan. 

I dealt with Charlie a few years back. Nice guy and probably has the most impressive overall athletic resume' ever. Still looks like he's about 35

22 minutes ago, Walden Ponderer said:

Hardeman and Collins were "Thunder and Lightning" for Texas A&I during the Javelinas' insanely dominant run in the 70s. Jaws Hardeman then went on to be the Oiler that Earl made everyone forget.

Died 4 years ago.

donald-hardeman-killeen-tx-photos17.jpg

Que para Johnny Bailey?

Johnny-Bailey-action-shot_7044116_ver1.0

18 minutes ago, Dennis Taylor said:

I dealt with Charlie a few years back. Nice guy and probably has the most impressive overall athletic resume' ever. 

Carl Lewis, Jackie Robinson, Dave Winfield, Bo Jackson, Herschel Walker, Deion Sanders, Jim Thorpe, Babe Didrikson Zaharias, and more >> Charlie Ward, but yeah, winning the Heisman and then having an NBA career is pretty sick. 

Edited by Goo Punch
  • Like 1
  • Fuck You 3

2 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:

Carl Lewis, Dave Winfield, Bo Jackson, Herschel Walker, Deion Sanders, Jim Thorpe, Babe Didrikson Zaharias, and more >> Charlie Ward, but yeah, winning the Heisman and then having an NBA career is pretty sick. 

take your female athlete bullshit to the female athletes we may have forgotten about thread.

• Like 1

Fred Bednarski

A name only ArnyBrat may remember.  Played for Texas from 1956-1958.  First player to make a "soccer-style" kick in football.  Crazy story.  Survived Nazi concentration camp and family migrated to Bastrop after war.  His kick was made against Arkansas. They thought is was a fake when he lined up to the back and side of the holder instead of straight back.

My son was practicing field goals at Hill Country Middle School a few years back.  Met him as he was walking around the track.

https://www.barkingcarnival.com/2010/02/11/uts-fred-bednarski-college-football-pioneer

• Like 5

1 minute ago, TxEx84 said:

Fred Bednarski

A name only ArnyBrat may remember.  Played for Texas from 1956-1958.  First player to make a "soccer-style" kick in football.  Crazy story.  Survived Nazi concentration camp and family migrated to Bastrop after war.  His kick was made against Arkansas. They thought is was a fake when he lined up to the back and side of the holder instead of straight back.

My son was practicing field goals at Hill Country Middle School a few years back.  Met him as he was walking around the track.

https://www.barkingcarnival.com/2010/02/11/uts-fred-bednarski-college-football-pioneer

Know him and his son and his son's son.

How about Hugh Green as an undersized DE for the Pitt Panthers. That guy was about as dominant a college player as I can recall. https://www.facebook.com/PittsburghPanthers/videos/540802696381268/

1 hour ago, Goo Punch said:

Ike Hilliard and Reidel Anthony:

edit: can't believe i can't find any highlights of Anthony on youtube. 

I loved this Gators team in the mid 90s. I played with the Gators on NCAA all the way into my college days because of this team. I think Danny Wuerfell was the QB. Fred Taylor was the RB?

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Armybrat said:

Don Trull and Lawrence Elkins of Baylor.

Bears averageD an amazing 200+ yards passing per game - back in the 3 yards & a cloud of dust days.

Duke Carlisle says, “Howdy!”

As a kid, I was a member of the Knothole Gang.  The 7-0 Texas win over Baylor in 1963 was preserved by a Carlisle INT in the EZ .. Trull intended for Elkins (as I recall).  No INT, possibly no W, or probably no NC. 

Edited by VirginiaLonghorn

Joe Don Looney.  He started his college football career at UT.  His first semester he made four F's and a D.  He dropped out at Texas and enrolled at TCU.  He got kicked out of TCU and enrolled at Cameron Junior College.  He finished up at OU and probably graduated with honors (not really, he got kicked out of OU after he only gained four yards in six carries vs. Texas).   He later became an "enforcer" for a Hindu Swami.  He got killed in a motorcycle accident in Terlingua  in 1988.  

Edited by lemonandaturd

11 minutes ago, lemonandaturd said:

Joe Don Looney.  He started his college football career at UT.  His first semester he made four F's and a D.  He dropped out at Texas and enrolled at TCU.  He got kicked out of TCU and enrolled at Cameron Junior College.  He finished up at OU and probably graduated with honors.  He later became an "enforcer" for a Hindu Swami.  He got killed in a motorcycle accident in Terlingua  in 1988.  

My mom had the same guru, Swami Baba Muktananda.  Joe Don Looney was kind of a big deal in that scene. 

25 minutes ago, lemonandaturd said:

Joe Don Looney.  He started his college football career at UT.  His first semester he made four F's and a D.  He dropped out at Texas and enrolled at TCU.  He got kicked out of TCU and enrolled at Cameron Junior College.  He finished up at OU and probably graduated with honors (not really, he got kicked out of OU after he only gained four yards in six carries vs. Texas).   He later became an "enforcer" for a Hindu Swami.  He got killed in a motorcycle accident in Terlingua  in 1988.  

One hell of a fuckin' bio. I'll drink one tonight to JDL.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Goo Punch said:

Carl Lewis, Jackie Robinson, Dave Winfield, Bo Jackson, Herschel Walker, Deion Sanders, Jim Thorpe, Babe Didrikson Zaharias, and more >> Charlie Ward, but yeah, winning the Heisman and then having an NBA career is pretty sick. 

if three different people are going to neg rep this comment then at least one of you should make a case that says that Charlie Ward has a better athletic resume than the names I listed. 

Edited by Goo Punch
  • Fuck You 2

3 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:

if three people are going to neg rep this comment then at least one of them should make a case that says that Charlie Ward has a better athletic resume than the names I listed.  

4047d8.gif

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, futureman said:

maxresdefault.jpg

my folks didn’t go to UT so I didn’t really follow the horns growing up.  this guy, along with the ‘92 cowboys, made me a football fan. 

Charlie coached my daughters high school football team a few years back.  Hell of a nice guy from what I heard, earned a lot of respect from his players, but he was average at best as a coach at the HS level.  I was quite surprised.

He was phenomenal in college and really good in the NBA.  

2 hours ago, ScottS said:

Stonie Clark.

OU sucks.

My first Texas OU game and still my favorite 

I was thinking Lovell Pinckney or Mike Davis when I saw this thread.  I thought both of those guys were going on to long pro careers.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, jinx said:

My first Texas OU game and still my favorite 

I was thinking Lovell Pinckney or Mike Davis when I saw this thread.  I thought both of those guys were going on to long pro careers.  

Good call on Pinkney. I assume you meant Mike Adams since he was the other stud we on the team that year.

I ran into both of them at a party one Thursday during the season and they were both pretty nice guys. They were also fucking hammered. I remember waking up the next day hungover as shit, skipping class and wondering how the hell they were going to play football on Saturday on that turf with 100 degree temps.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Dr. Beeper said:

I’m not gonna neg you but this is an example of you being a bitch when someone disagrees with you. Look at your own subject line and look at this forum, and tell me where Lewis, Winfield and Didrikson played college football.  Then, tell me about the college careers of Thorpe and Robinson.  Walker doesn’t have the college career Ward does.  You should have limited it to Bo and Deion and in terms of college you’re still probably wrong.

Rex, the discussion was not, "Charlie Ward is the greatest football player of all time", it was "Charlie Ward has the most impressive athletic resume of all time", which is what I responded to with my list. but yeah, i'm the one here "being a bitch". not the people negging me without a response, or the guy insulting me and actually calling me a bitch because he can't read good. yeah, that's the ticket. 

Edited by Goo Punch