Name drop a former college football player who people may have forgotten about

Goo Punch

9 hours ago, BornOrange said:

Robert Strait

My freshman year I walked from Jester down to Memorial Stadium to watch Cuero play two different playoff games. Both games Cuero had a comfortable lead in the second half, they had the ball inside their own 20 on third and short situations. Both games everyone in the stadium knew that Strait was going to run the ball up the middle. Both games Strait ran the ball up the middle, broke a few tackles, and busted 80+ yard TD runs.

I thought I was witnessing the next Earl Campbell.

Marlon Williams (Pflugerville HS/four year starter at MLB for TTU) was kinda like that in HS. Although our own Antwan Cobb was the tailback at PHS, they would go to Marlon on short yardage situations, and at one point through maybe 6-7 games of his junior year he was averaging something insane like 25+ yards per carry because he already had something like 7-8 TD runs of 50+ yards. He was just that strong, that even 5A athletes at schools like Judson, Smithson Valley, Temple, and the Round Rock schools just couldn't tackle him. He was only getting 3-4 carries per game, but holy shit, when he did it was almost inevitable that he would break a few tackles and then outrun everyone else to the end zone. Dude is a physical freak.

Also of note, Marlon is the guy who got twitter banned from Tech for talking shit about Mike Leach, who released a diss track about Michael Crabteee (Crab Scary) while they were teammates, and who then went on to star on The Real World and MTV's The Challenge,  so he's kept it entertaining well beyond his HS days. Oh yeah, and he injured Sam Bradford on a pretty mean sack, so as far as TTU players go should pretty much be a Longhorn fan favorite. 

17 hours ago, Hank Chinaski said:

Tech had a good run of RBs in the late-80s/early 90s:

James Gray

Texas Tech running back James Gray | Texas tech football, Texas ...

Bam Morris

Bam Morris Gallery | The Trading Card Database

Byron Hanspard

Data Series: Top 10 Rushing Season By Texas Backs — The SWC Round-Up

Bam Morris was going to have a terrific career as a player, but instead decided for a career as a marijuana transporter. If Morris is not arrested with a truckload of pot the Steelers most likely don't make the trade for Jerome Bettis.

14 hours ago, youdunnf'dup said:

Ryan Perrilloux

Left us high and dry on signing day and forced us to settle with uninspiring 3 star colt McCoy as the only qb in a recruiting class where we desperately needed a qb. What a dick. 

I used to be super into recruiting, and probably the first big body blow that led me to ignoring recruiting altogether was when Perriloux, Fred Rouse, and Martellus Bennett all flashed Hook Em signs together during US Army Bowl practice, only to have none of them commit to Texas. That said, I gotta say that things have worked out fairly well since then. Rouse and Perriloux are now old, fat, nobodies, Tellus didn't do shit at A&M, and I no longer follow recruiting, the most pointless exercise in futility known to man. Wins all around. 

Edited by Goo Punch

4 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:

Marlon Williams (Pflugerville HS/four year starter at MLB for TTU) was kinda like that in HS. Although our own Antwan Cobb was the tailback at PHS, they would go to Marlon on short yardage situations, and at one point through maybe 6-7 games of his junior year he was averaging something insane like 25+ yards per carry because he already had something like 7-8 TD runs of 50+ yards. He was just that strong, that even 5A athletes at schools like Judson, Smithson Valley, Temple, and the Round Rock schools just couldn't tackle him. He was only getting 3-4 carries per game, but holy shit, when he did it was almost inevitable that he would break a few tackles and then outrun everyone else to the end zone. Dude is a physical freak.

Also of note, Marlon is the guy who got twitter banned from Tech for talking shit about Mike Leach, who released a diss track about Michael Crabteee (Crab Scary) while they were teammates, and who then went on to star on The Real World and MTV's The Challenge,  so he's kept it entertaining well beyond his HS days. Oh yeah, and he injured Sam Bradford on a pretty mean sack, so as far as TTU players go should pretty much be a Longhorn fan favorite. 

Yeah, Leach and Crabtree sucked... but your boy had his 5 minutes.

He was indeed a good player on the field.  I'll leave it at that.

Edited by Iceman

12 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:

I used to be super into recruiting, and probably the first big body blow that led me to ignoring recruiting altogether was when Perriloux, Fred Rouse, and Martellus Bennett all flashed Hook Em signs together during US Army Bowl practice, only to have none of them commit to Texas. That said, I gotta say that things have worked out fairly well since then. Rouse and Perriloux are now old, fat, nobodies, Tellus didn't do shit at A&M, and I no longer follow recruiting, the most pointless exercise in futility known to man. Wins all around. 

I think a lot of people had a similar experience right around the same time, because that’s when i stopped paying attention. Its definitely important. Look at the nfl draft and the CFP every year. It’s flooded with 4 and 5 star players. But I’m at the point now where I just look at the overall rankings on signing day. Just get on the field and ball out. 

edit-can no longer edit the last post, but still:

the sheer number of times where slorch gets upset over something where i literally have no clue what he's talking about is incredible. i didn't post so much as a word of commentary about either Leach or Crabtree, and yet somehow slorch thinks i dissed both of them and is now huffing and puffing about it. I try to make sense of it, but i always end up looking like Ron:

giphy.gif?cid=4d1e4f2939e4999d160ef60ae7

1 hour ago, Woodrow Call said:

Rick Leach was a heck of a player. Ended up playing professional baseball.

spacer.png

People who don't follow Michigan football don't understand how important Leach was to that program. He probably should have won a Heisman and could have won a national title if either the '78 or '79 Rose Bowls had shaken out a little differently. And that came on the heels of the disastrous 0-3-1 run against Ohio State; Leach's time there completely reversed the rivalry and ended the Ten Year War with Bo on top, 5-4-1. 

Edited by SwanderedTalent
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, BurntEyes said:

You know, I'm guessing most around here, being college fans in general and largely Longhorn fans, will no doubt recall this one. However, outside that specific group in a more general sense and probably generic NFL fan too, won't remember this guy:

eric-dickerson.png.6e7f5235f20160c8b36fd6d359a992e8.pngimage_handler.thumb.jpeg.431715146cd66c2cdc81fbe636ae384d.jpeg

He had one of the most unique running styles I recall. I'm of the opinion that Ricky had a similar upright very straight posture running style. However, I don't recall anyone before or since being that way. At least not as up right as Dickerson.

First Texas game I attended was when the Pony Express rolled into Austin, believe it was a Nat TV game also. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Vic Mackey said:

Pat White for WV. Loved watching this team from 2007. Slaton was the RB and they had Derius Reynaud. All they had to do was beat Pitt on the last game of the season to get to the BCS title game but Pat White got hurt and Pitt pulled the huge upset. @PittsburghTiger probably remembers that game. I think WV demolished OU that year in the Fiesta Bowl.

Patwhite2007.png

Pat White was the truth! Ran all over Georgia and OU to win the Sugar and Fiesta Bowls

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, youdunnf'dup said:

If I’m not mistaken, he’s still in the giants starting rotation. Had a pretty decent year last year actually 

Yes he still plays. I think he said something along the lines of choosing MLB over the NFL because he could play longer and make more money. 

2 hours ago, Longboard Horn said:

Jeff Samardzija. Great WR for Notre Dame. Went on to play professional baseball.

a4d5cafc95cfc67724d19f0eb17c3e10.jpg

He was on that 2005 team, right? That should have beaten USC if Reggie Bush wasn't allowed to push Leinart in the endzone. Or something to that nature.

1 hour ago, Longboard Horn said:

Yes he still plays. I think he said something along the lines of choosing MLB over the NFL because he could play longer and make more money. 

Good decision, he's in the final year of a 5 year/$90 million deal.  He's made over $100 million in his career, something that would've never happened in football.

Only two WR's have over $100 million in career earnings - Larry Fitzgerald and Julio Jones.

Whereas, he's a one time All Star in baseball and probably has a few million more to be earned.

Edited by Don Johnson

On 5/5/2020 at 8:24 AM, jeevsie said:

Well, someone stole my Peter Warrick, so I'll go more obscure - Tavian Banks, Iowa. (Am I playing right?)

I grew up a fan of both Iowa schools (my mom went to Iowa), and Banks was fucking electric.  It blew me away as a kid that he didn't have more of a pro career.

However, outside that specific group in a more general sense and probably generic NFL fan too, won't remember this guy

Maybe the under 45 generic fan won't remember him, but they probably have heard of him. Top 10 all time rushing yards in the NFL. And college football fans know him because he likely helped cover up a lot of murders in North Dallas back in the day.

On 5/6/2020 at 12:08 PM, jeevsie said:

Got another. George Teague.  Don't know why I've always remembered this play.

Bryant-Denny erupts every time that play is shown on the Jumbotron. And no one in Bama calls it "The strip." It is universally dubbed "The Play."

True story--I had a George Teague autographed football that I acquired when an old Bama fan died and his sister sold off his entire collection for $100. Anyway, when I was shopping for houses a few years ago, I did a tour of the house from which I am currently typing this. On the initial tour of the property, I notice some Bama memorabilia and it is all from the early '90s. So I go home and work up an offer on this house. I offer $10,000 less than the asking price and I inform my agent that I want to write into the offer "a signed George Teague football." My agent is from Lubbock and is like WTF, who is that. I say "Just tell me if we can put it in the offer." He tells me that I can put any thing I damn well please in the offer so in goes the football and out goes the offer. Next day, my agent gets a call that the seller agrees to the deal and that his wife is pissed because they had received better offers that they had not accepted, but that the husband read about the football and laid down the law. Thanks George. And for defending the star as well. 

• Like 3

Steven Sheffield from the 2009 Texas Tech team. He really nailed the air raid down. Not sure why that buttfuck Taylor Potts was the starter. I think he threw for 7 TDs against Kansas State that year. Then the Tommy Tupperware show came to town and ruined him.

13 hours ago, HRSchenker said:

Steven Sheffield from the 2009 Texas Tech team. He really nailed the air raid down. Not sure why that buttfuck Taylor Potts was the starter. I think he threw for 7 TDs against Kansas State that year. Then the Tommy Tupperware show came to town and ruined him.

Another buddy of mine. He killed it in that offense, and iirc came into a bowl game after an injury and just went Pat Mahomes all over some team. Makes no sense that he wasn't the starter. 

On 5/6/2020 at 4:07 PM, Goo Punch said:

I used to get the SuperPrep and a couple other recruiting magazines for use in writing and it was amazing just how wrong they could be.

14 hours ago, markstanco said:

Neighbor about 3 houses down. Brent beauchamp. He was 1 for 1 at texas. Why he was on the team was bewildering to everybody, he sucked at qb in HS at 3A.

I knew Brent. He got the biggest kick out of holding that clipboard. He never took himself too seriously. I almost posted his name on this thread but assumed no one would remember. 

• Like 1

On 5/7/2020 at 7:55 AM, Longboard Horn said:

i think they did a side by side with him an megatron because they were the same year or something showing the money and years played. 

its fun to read threads like these then google the players names and ready in horror of thier fall from grace or whatever

On 5/4/2020 at 10:50 PM, Goo Punch said:

how about KiKi DeAyala?

8cd11af233bb3f16b6098c1c0f7a2bbd.jpg

Guys this good should be known by future generations, but i doubt many fans under 40 have even heard of him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wasn't he a former Westchester High School grad?  

You bring back a memory. My 4th grade teacher was Scooter Monzingo's mom. I think he showed up one day for our class as well. One of the guys in my class was being raised an Aggie and would even go on to play for them. But since this was '70-'71 and Texas was on top of the world, even he thought it was pretty cool.

My father taught at West Texas State U from the mid-60’s to the mid-70’S.  We saw every home game that Duane Thomas and Mercury Morris played in, sometimes from the sidelines, depending on how Dad was getting along with Joe Kerbel.  Duane was a tremendous back, instincts, speed, and power equal to Dickerson or probably Simpson, maybe edging into Earl territory.  Morris, though, was unbelievable.  Fastest player I’ve ever seen in cleats and pads, including J”Lam”J, Dorsett’s 99 yard touchdown, and Deion’s closing speed on receivers.  And Mercury drove a new white Corvette w/red interior every year-I worked part-time at the gas station where he had his “charge account.”

9 minutes ago, wood said:

Bubba Jacques , yo...

Bubba was my QB in high school.  Factually correct and sounds way cooler than saying I was a third tackle that was technically eligible to receive passes had they ever called for Bubba to throw one to me.