Name drop a former college football player who people may have forgotten about

Goo Punch

9 minutes ago, Not a cat said:

Bubba was my QB in high school.  Factually correct and sounds way cooler than saying I was a third tackle that was technically eligible to receive passes had they ever called for Bubba to throw one to me.

Go Tigers! Class of '83 here...

I remember watching Bubba play baseball when he was like 11. We knew he was a bit of a freak even then.

Edited by wood

6 hours ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

I watched it live on the TV, believe it was a Thursday night game on ESPN.  When it happened I thought the Cockroach was dead.

As long as big hits and names. The name is John Ruud and probably no one remembers him. However anyone who watched the Nebraska/OU game in 78 will forget his hit. Best video I could find has more content - go to 1:20 mark. I literally thought Kelly Phelps was dead on the field. They had one replay where you see his back expand backwards in shape of a helmet. basically Rudd got a 40 yard run and was untouched.  Even more crazy was the refs ruling his "forward progress" had stopped before the fumble. Technically correct but a horrible call

Edited by AUinHsv

Guest Lobo

Who was that white special teams guru/occasional wide receiver we had in late 90's/early 2000's?  Had a knack for tackling Kick Returners inside the 20.  Only had a handful of catches over his career but was an absolute beast from the stinger position.  

3 minutes ago, Lobo said:

Who was that white special teams guru/occasional wide receiver we had in late 90's/early 2000's?  Had a knack for tackling Kick Returners inside the 20.  Only had a handful of catches over his career but was an absolute beast from the stinger position.  

Michael Ungar

• Like 1

Guest Lobo

Yes, thank you!  Was there another one right after him, who was kinda the same skill set?  Walker or Williams or something like that?  Another white guy. 

Have some rep.  

49 minutes ago, Lobo said:

Yes, thank you!  Was there another one right after him, who was kinda the same skill set?  Walker or Williams or something like that?  Another white guy. 

Have some rep.  

Phillip Geiger right? I think he was a db but I mainly remember him hauling ass down the field on kick-off and punt coverage teams. 

Guest Lobo

No, Geigar was a fulltime scholarship DB badass.  I was thinking of this other white dude that was either our kick-off/punt coverage badass either right before or right after Ungar.  

50 minutes ago, Tylerocks said:

Beau Trahan was another in that same mold, but I'm pretty sure he preceded Ungar as the white special teams ace.

They overlapped, but Ungar was the ace gunner.  Beau Trahan was pretty good on special teams. 

Edited by Bozo_Casanova
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Lobo said:

No, Geigar was a fulltime scholarship DB badass.  I was thinking of this other white dude that was either our kick-off/punt coverage badass either right before or right after Ungar.  

Steve Stigall?

Edited by IDIOTsavant

Guest Lobo
24 minutes ago, IDIOTsavant said:

Steve Stigall?

Yep, we would lay a returner out, stand over him and say, "You think you're above the law.  Well, you ain't above mine." 

I kid, man that is fascinating.  I didn't even really know how to google them since just starting at rosters from back then wasn't jogging my memory but those are both the guys.  Really enjoyed watching them light people up.  Have some rep.  

22 minutes ago, Jkwellborn said:

Most foolish roughing the punter penalty ever.

Oh god that's right. The with the way Major was moving the ball after coming in you have to think we go score and win that game without it. 

In retrospect, it sure would be nice to have anther Big12 title and have gotten to play for a national championship. We would have gotten absolutely boat raced by that Miami team though. A really fun Holiday Bowl win against Washington turned out to be a nice consultation prize. 

That game reminds me of another couple guys on the topic, Jerramy Stevens and Reggie Williams were both really good on that team. Both first rounds picks I think.

Most likely never heard of Shawn Izadi - quite a success story (lengthy article, excerpts)    Dr Shawn Izadi

Shawn Izadi, who balanced the challenges of school, football and playing in the Longhorn Band at UT, put that training and discipline to work in graduating from The UTRGV School of Medicine this spring.

A walk-on for two seasons under Mack Brown, the Coppell, Texas native initially arrived on the Forty Acres in the fall of 2010 intent on one day attending medical school. The self-proclaimed science nerd chose to major in biochemistry after a recommendation from a friend, while also joining the band to continue his passion for music. It was during his time with the band and performing at football games that Izadi began to think about playing football, something he had not done since his sophomore year at Coppell High School.

An unsuccessful open tryout in the spring of 2011 followed by another in the fall of that year did not discourage Izadi, who made the team as a walk-on in 2012 after a third open tryout.

"I don't know what he saw, but Coach Brown took a chance on me," Izadi said.

"Shawn has a never give up, never quit attitude and we just loved that about him," Mack Brown said. "What we saw in him was passion, determination, dedication and pride. He just kept coming back, was not going to be denied and once he became a member of our team, he poured his heart and soul into everything he did."

Izadi worked with Longhorn Band Director Robert Carnochan on a plan that would allow him to dress out for football during home games and march with the Longhorn Band during away games.

A look at Izadi's schedule during his two seasons as a walk-on are a testament to this. He would typically wake up by 5 a.m. for early morning weightlifting sessions at 6 a.m. This was followed by classes throughout the morning - consisting of biochemistry, analytical chemistry, physical chemistry - then lunch and a short nap before practice at 1:30 or 2:00 p.m. Practice would run until around 6:15 p.m., at which time Izadi would make his way to band practice, which was held from 6:30 to 8:30 p.m., three or four nights a week. On the evenings he did not have band practice, Izadi would schedule his labs, which ran four hours per session. He would then return home to study until midnight or 1 a.m., then do it all over again the following day.

"On the Forty Acres, you will meet individuals from every race, creed and background who bring their own individual story to create an amazing family that is over 50,000 strong. But despite all the differences and paths it took to become a Longhorn, everyone shares a common ambition – to be at their own best and chase their dreams," Izadi said.

"I realized that people didn't come to UT to just get a degree or an education – but rather to transform themselves as human beings, to change and better the world in their own unique way. That is the tradition of The University of Texas."

https://texassports.com/news/2020/5/12/former-football-walk-on-and-longhorn-band-member-graduates-med-school.aspx

Mack Brown and Shawn Izadi

• Like 1

4 hours ago, AUinHsv said:

As long as big hits and names. The name is John Ruud and probably no one remembers him. However anyone who watched the Nebraska/OU game in 78 will forget his hit. Best video I could find has more content - go to 1:20 mark. I literally thought Kelly Phelps was dead on the field. They had one replay where you see his back expand backwards in shape of a helmet. basically Rudd got a 40 yard run and was untouched.  Even more crazy was the refs ruling his "forward progress" had stopped before the fumble. Technically correct but a horrible call

ya just hate to see it