Name drop a former college football player who people may have forgotten about

Goo Punch

2 hours ago, Woodrow Call said:

Chris Zorich. Guy was a beast.  #90 is Jeff Alm, who killed himself in Houston after being responsible for a car accident that killed a friend. 

spacer.png

One night out at ND, we were out eating at a Sonic-type place, eating outside and there was Zorich and his mother, eating alone. Instead of being out partying he was out eating with his mom. She was rubbing his sore shoulders, which I'm sure were really sore after the game. We said "hey" to him, and he was nice, so was his mom.

His mother, apparently, died while watching Zorich play in the Orange Bowl, the loss to Colorado.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Bevo said:

Know him and his son and his son's son.

How about Hugh Green as an undersized DE for the Pitt Panthers. That guy was about as dominant a college player as I can recall. https://www.facebook.com/PittsburghPanthers/videos/540802696381268/

Green was voted the second-greatest defender to play in college, behind Dick Butkus. He was the best I ever saw play defense.

Remember on the other side of the "5-2" defensive front Pitt played at the time was the great Rickey Jackson. That defensive front also included Greg Meisner, Bill Neill and Jerry Boyarsky. All five of them were drafted and started as rookies in the NFL. Imagine the practices that team had because when they went ones-against-ones the offensive line had Mark May, Jimbo Covert, Russ Grimm, Ron Sams and Emil Boures, who all went to the NFL too.

• Like 1

David Palmer was a bad man.

On the same team as him is a guy I graduated HS with and someone who once held the Alabama record for most consecutive starts, Matt Hammond. There is a name nobody in here remembers, hell many Bama fans won't remember the guy.

old Big Ten names-- Tim Spencer and Kirk Lowdermilk, Bill Happel and Scott Helverson, Vaughn Dunbar and Anthony Thompson, Chris Zurbrugg, Tony Boles, Blake Ezor, Rickey Foggie, the linebacking trio of Simeon Rice, Kevin Hardy, and John Holecek, Randy Wright, a tip of the hat to a Purdue team that had Jim Everett and Rod Woodson and won like 7 games, and finally the pride of the fightin' but generally winless Northwestern Wildcats, Sandy Schwab

1 hour ago, Tylerocks said:

A couple of guys that were dueling it out for the Heisman in the late 80's, Major Harris (WVU) and Tony Rice(ND)

Some dudes around that same time frame from the SWC:

Trevor Cobb- Rice RB and 1991 Doak Walker winner

Chuck "Spoon" Weatherspoon from UH.  Bowling ball RB during the run-n-shoot days.  Ran for 1000 yds each of his last 3 years.

Lloyd Hill, WR at Tech was fun to watch.

Zebbie Letheridge, just because his name is Zebbie.

I hated weatherspoon, dude probably ran for close to a 1000 yards in his career against us. Just a bigger version of robert newhouse, looked about 5'2" 260.  They'd spread out the field and then get the ball to him and defensive backs would bounce off of him.

Until that glorious night in 1990, though I still think he got a lot of yards then too, but my memory of the specifics might be a bit hazy.

13 hours ago, HRSchenker said:

Connor Brewer. He was easy to forget because he went from Texas to Arizona to Northern Arizona and then to Virginia where he did a poor job of being a backup QB

Connor's sister was on some local sports show in LA, apparently works for ESPN now. She's flyspacer.png

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, TrashMaster G said:

Ken Hackemack - Great name, great 'stache, good player and nice guy.  (Not the best pic of the 'stache)

maxresdefault.jpg

That dude was a giant.  I know people are stunned when they see college and pro linemen up close, but this guy stood out even among the jocks when you'd see him on campus.  From all accounts a nice guy.

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, Woodrow Call said:

Speaking of Pitt, what about Bill Fralic? Inventor of the Pancake Block. 

spacer.png

I was friends with him. He died from cancer. Watched him play and wrestle in high school as his school is about 13 miles in a straight line from my house. When he was a sophomore his Penn Hills team, the same school that produced Aaron Donald, played Danny Marino and Central Catholic in the playoffs. My cousin was Danny's tight end and roomie at Pitt. Well, Fralic, as a sophomore, told the linemen from Central that if they didn't try too hard he wouldn't have to hurt them.

That picture is from the 1983 game when that fuck stick GodPa went for the tie at the end of the game, rather than the win. Game finished 24-24. 

He was a terrific guy. Had a wicked dry sense of humor. His dad had the foresight to have Billy's rookie contract structured so that up until he died, in December 2018, he was still getting paid from that contract. He also built a very nice insurance business in Atlanta.

Edited by PittsburghTiger
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, UncleSonny said:

I loved watching this guy play back when Clemson seemed like a team who would never get over the hump: 

Woody Dantzler: 

spacer.png

I loved watching him at Clemson. I remember my best friend played with Clemson on NCAA with this team. I really never heard of him before he did and then started to pay attention to him. Fun to watch for sure. He played with Dallas Cowboys for a bit as a special teams player. I think he even returned a kick for a TD when he was here. Back when Dallas fucking sucked under Campo.

• Like 1

Mike Baab. All-SWC and All-American his senior year at UT. 

baab.jpg.e267aac5250ab2a84dadf0f0c82b7f78.jpg

Was my wife and I's personal trainer when we were still in Austin. Man looks like he could still play. Won a world championship in Highland Games a while back. Super nice, down to earth guy. As a plus, he is responsible for this little gem in response to the Bears Super Bowl Shuffle: 

1 hour ago, PittsburghTiger said:

I submit, a fellow I knew, not extremely well, in school, but enjoyed the hell out of watching him play.

Was coming here to post Ironhead. I went to the last ever Bluebonnet Bowl in 1987, and he put on a hell of show...30 carries, 136 yards, and a TD. 

But the star of the show that night was this guy:

Little Tony Jones caught a bomb on the first play from scrimmage for a 77 yard TD. He later had a 40 yard TD reception, and finished with 8 catches for 242 yards and 2 TDS. 

The Oilers roster listed him at 5'7" and 139lbs. 

1 hour ago, Player said:

Was coming here to post Ironhead. I went to the last ever Bluebonnet Bowl in 1987, and he put on a hell of show...30 carries, 136 yards, and a TD. 

But the star of the show that night was this guy:

Little Tony Jones caught a bomb on the first play from scrimmage for a 77 yard TD. He later had a 40 yard TD reception, and finished with 8 catches for 242 yards and 2 TDS. 

The Oilers roster listed him at 5'7" and 139lbs. 

Pitt never got paid for that Bluebonnet Bowl. I assume Texas did not either.

3 hours ago, PittsburghTiger said:

Green was voted the second-greatest defender to play in college, behind Dick Butkus. He was the best I ever saw play defense.

Remember on the other side of the "5-2" defensive front Pitt played at the time was the great Rickey Jackson. That defensive front also included Greg Meisner, Bill Neill and Jerry Boyarsky. All five of them were drafted and started as rookies in the NFL. Imagine the practices that team had because when they went ones-against-ones the offensive line had Mark May, Jimbo Covert, Russ Grimm, Ron Sams and Emil Boures, who all went to the NFL too.

Jackie Sherill knew what talent to buy.

9 hours ago, Iceman said:

Some a y’all play this game weirdly.  We have a Heisman winner, a first pick overall in the NFL draft, and a first ballot NFL HoFer from the state of Texas, no less.

Y’all are forgetful as shit...

It's Covid season, so everyone is drinking all day everyday

• Like 1

How about a guy you probably never heard of.  He played pee wee through high school football with my younger brother.  My brother was always QB and he was RB.  When they were 10-12 years old it was funny to watch them play because he would run 250 yards cris-crossing the field before scoring a 90 yard touchdown in the stat book.

He was the 2nd leading rusher in the SEC his senior year when he blew out his knee and ended his career.  Such an awful end for a guy with unreal talent

Former Alabama running back Ray Hudson says after one hit he ...

Ray Hudson #27 - Alabama RB

Year School Conf Class Pos G Att Yds Avg TD Rec Yds Avg TD Plays Yds Avg TD
Career Alabama         278 1639 5.9 7 30 333 11.1 3 308 1972 6.4 10
2001 Alabama SEC FR RB 11 37 205 5.5 1 1 26 26.0 0 38 231 6.1 1
2002 Alabama SEC SO RB 13 49 306 6.2 1 3 50 16.7 1 52 356 6.8 2
2003 Alabama SEC JR RB 12 100 490 4.9 1 15 179 11.9 1 115 669 5.8 2
*2004 Alabama SEC SR RB 6 92 638 6.9 4 11 78 7.1 1 103 716 7.0 5

6 hours ago, Not a cat said:

That dude was a giant.  I know people are stunned when they see college and pro linemen up close, but this guy stood out even among the jocks when you'd see him on campus.  From all accounts a nice guy.

Ran into him walking into DKR.  Very nice guy!  Was proud to shake his hand.

Edwin Simmons 6628b1eab6a1743567fcae0af2da7f7c.jpg

People (including me) like to blame Jeff Ward or Fred Akers or Craig Curry for losing the MNC against Georgia in ‘83, but our running game disappeared along with Big Edwin’s bad knees. With him, we roll Georgia by 3 TDs...maybe 4.

And what’s with Dawson’s red jersey?

Edited by ImissWallyPryor

In all seriousness you're probably thinking of Steve Fallon who went up to NDSU at some point, although I don't think he stayed there very long. Steve Ross did however go on to be the SWTS pxp guy during Claude Mathis's senior year, which was a pretty fun time to be around the program. 

6 hours ago, Ted Dantzler said:

Jordy Nelson

Goddamnit. 

Actually I can't even be mad. That one K-St fan was on one of the old boards talking all kinds of crazy shit about Jordy before any of us had ever heard of him, and we made fun of the guy relentlessly. Goddamnit if he didn't call that. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Hank Chinaski said:

Goddamnit. 

Actually I can't even be mad. That one K-St fan was on one of the old boards talking all kinds of crazy shit about Jordy before any of us had ever heard of him, and we made fun of the guy relentlessly. Goddamnit if he didn't call that. 

Fatty Fat Fat. Dude was an old school message board legend.

https://www.fattyfund.org/about-shwan-2

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Hank Chinaski said:

Goddamnit. 

No way some “midwestern“ boy could torch our “southern”’ DBs. Yea, I remember that conversation. RIP, FFF. 

Edited by ImissWallyPryor

On 5/4/2020 at 7:57 PM, Goo Punch said:

speaking of special teams, how about Beau Trahan and Michael Ungar?

Awesome. After Ungar’s TD my buddy had a big ass party at San Pedro Oaks at 28th and.......yup, San Pedro St. Ungar showed up after the game, I slapped hands with him and told him he was a bad ass. Guzzled tall boys. Jumped off the roof into the pool. Heckled dweebs and pounded a tart.

....and fuck Delta Chi a few years earlier. Hodges Mitchell was leading the Big XII in rushing (prob 2-3 game into the season) and they didn’t let him into their party but they let some dickhead like me in.