Korean Baseball League Season thread

Beau Vine

1 hour ago, WBT said:

So apparently ESPN thinks everyone misses Karl Ravech and Eduardo Perez more than they miss baseball?

I'm really beginning to hate them.  Eddy just spouts the exact same cliches he always does.  Ravech spent three solid innings today saying that he didn't see any way MLB would able to restart using as many different words as he could come up with.  Would still love to see Eddy replaced by Daniel Kim or Dan Kurts or basically anyone who speaks English who has actually followed Korean Baseball. 

I think they're about to switch to Sciambi and Mendoza, which I dare say will be an improvement. 

On 5/6/2020 at 2:23 PM, Beau Vine said:

They had a big fucking fire across the street from the stadium in the Kia-Kiwoon game.  Smoke got so bad they had to pull the players off the field.

fire.jpg

Not sure what caused it because I don't speak Korean, but I believe they said that Taylor Motter single-handedly extinguished the fire and saved all of Seoul.

These are the times that try Seoul's men.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Beau Vine said:

You have been waiting to use that since opening day, haven't you?

No...way, way longer. It actually came to me during the 1988 Olympics. Didn't end up taking even a third of a century (quite) to finally roll it out there. 

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Beau Vine said:

2nd in league in OPS -- look at this guy: https://mykbostats.com/players/1932-Preston-Tucker-Kia-Tigers

Good for him.  He was roughly league average his rookie year with the Astros and I thought deserved a longer look.  He had the misfortune of coming up when they were ready to compete though and didn't get as long of a leash as Chris Carter, AJ Reed, Jon Singleton, etc.

siap but, these were last week's power rankings

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/29158569/kbo-weekly-power-rankings-top-plays-performers-ahead

ESPN's KBO Power Rankings

1. Kiwoom Heroes: 5-1 (Last week: 1) -- Sang Woo Cho has been the anchor for the busy Kiwoom bullpen, going 3-for-3 in save chances.

2. Doosan Bears: 3-2 (3) -- Jose Fernandez of Cuba, who hit .344 for Doosan last year, leads the KBO with a .591 average (13-for-22).

3. LG Twins: 2-3 (2) -- The Twins rallied from a 6-0 first-inning deficit Sunday to hand the NC Dinos their first loss, 10-7.

4. NC Dinos: 4-1 (6) -- The Dinos broke out of the gate 4-0, getting solid starts from former big leaguer Drew Rucinski and Chang Mo Koo, who combined to throw 12 shutout innings.

5. Lotte Giants: 5-0 (8) -- A league-best 3.13 team ERA led to a big start for the Giants, who finished last in 2019.

6. SK Wyverns: 1-4 (4) -- SK has scored a league-low 17 runs despite Dong Min Han's league-high .944 slugging percentage.

7. KT Wiz: 1-4 (5) -- The young Wiz pitching staff is off to a slow start, with a 7.19 team ERA.

8. Samsung Lions: 2-4 (7) -- The Lions, who are hitting just .199 as a team, scored more than half of their 27 total runs in a 14-2 win over Kia.

9. Kia Tigers: 2-4 (9) -- The Tigers have the league's worst run differential (-15), but they also have Week 1's top hitter, Preston Tucker (.476, 3 HRs, 11 RBIs). Tucker played three MLB seasons with the Braves, Reds and Astros.

10. Hanwha Eagles: 2-4 (10) -- Hanwha looks to bounce back from a three-game weekend sweep against the Giants.

On 5/29/2020 at 2:45 PM, WBT said:

Every time I try to watch espn has relegated the game to barely over 1/2 the screen so they can fit at least 3 talking heads to talk about mlb and completely ignore the ongoing game action.

This. I passed out because of it but it being my first time watching got a kick out of all the stuffed animals in the seats behind home plate. So did my 2 yr old.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
4 hours ago, ss13 said:

How awful must these ratings be? Just happened to see one starting now, clearly this board has given up. 

I still watch every day (on tape).  Wednesday, I did get up at 4:30 to watch my favorite team, and ate chicken and drank Soju.

The SK Wyverns have signed Tyler White, so that should drum up a lot of interest!

• 2 weeks later...

SEOUL, July 30 (Yonhap) -- The government chided a professional baseball club on Thursday for not adhering to social distancing guidelines at its home stadium earlier in the week.

The Lotte Giants of the Korea Baseball Organization (KBO) played in front of fans at Sajik Stadium in Busan, 450 kilometers southeast of Seoul, for the first time this season on Tuesday. KBO clubs first opened their stadium gates to fans on Saturday, following the government's long-awaited green light, and the Giants' first home game after that decision came Tuesday.

Fans attend a Korea Baseball Organization regular season game between the home team Lotte Giants and the NC Dinos at Sajik Stadium in Busan, 450 kilometers southeast of Seoul, on July 28, 2020. (Yonhap)
Fans attend a Korea Baseball Organization regular season game between the home team Lotte Giants and the NC Dinos at Sajik Stadium in Busan, 450 kilometers southeast of Seoul, on July 28, 2020. (Yonhap)

hide caption
previousnext
1 of 2

Only a crowd of 10 percent of the stadium capacity will be permitted across the league for the time being, a cap designed to mitigate coronavirus infection concerns and to ensure fans will practice proper social distancing.

Whereas fans at other stadiums were spread out, the Giants closed their outfield seats for Tuesday's game and only made the lower-level seats available on the third base side. Most of the fans ended up in the seats along the first base line and were bunched together in the stands.

Under the KBO's health and safety protocols, fans must be at least one seat apart from one another and must keep their masks on at all times. To prevent infections via droplets, chanting and singing are banned, while eating and drinking alcoholic beverages from the seats are also prohibited.

National health authorities warned that should a similar incident occur, they may have to reconsider allowing fans into KBO games at all.

They added that they plan to gradually raise the cap on the size of the crowd.

• 3 months later...