Texas beach report

midtown

Dying to get my kids out of the house and debating a day drive to the beach Thursday.  However reports in the newspaper showed pictures of Port A where you'd be hard pressed to see the sand last weekend.  I get that it was the first wknd of being open.    Anyone have a midweek report?   Is it still wall to wall people?   My plan was to either go to state park or somewhere between Packery and Bob Hall aka white cap beach  I assume if Whitecap is jammed I could just keep driving south and eventually it will thin out. 

PINS. 

Drive until you have as much space as you want, park car, have fun. Nearly 70 miles of beach, and even on the most packed days the last few summers, we just drive a little further and usually have no one within 500 yards on either side.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, midtown said:

Dying to get my kids out of the house and debating a day drive to the beach Thursday.  However reports in the newspaper showed pictures of Port A where you'd be hard pressed to see the sand last weekend.  I get that it was the first wknd of being open.    Anyone have a midweek report?   Is it still wall to wall people?   My plan was to either go to state park or somewhere between Packery and Bob Hall aka white cap beach  I assume if Whitecap is jammed I could just keep driving south and eventually it will thin out. 

Well this is comforting 

3 hours ago, UnivTex34 said:

I've driven to MM 15 before in 2WD. Stay near the water, and the sand will be nicely packed. Take a shovel. You will be fine. There will be people in minivans and sports cars that go farther than you.

I guess my Subaru Forester is good to go?  Besides a shovel what other supplies would you recommend?  I was thinking a peice of 2x6.  

Then how do you handle having to take a shit?  Shit in a bag?  Shit in the dunes and cover it up? 

10 minutes ago, dingleberryswitzer said:

I guess my Subaru Forester is good to go?  Besides a shovel what other supplies would you recommend?  I was thinking a peice of 2x6.  

Then how do you handle having to take a shit?  Shit in a bag?  Shit in the dunes and cover it up? 

The shovel has multiple uses.

• Like 3

Shit in the ocean. You don’t even need to wipe.
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, dingleberryswitzer said:

You will have no issues, boards might be helpful if you get in trouble, but you can also let some air out of your tires as well. Shovel can be used to dig a latrine.

5 hours ago, dingleberryswitzer said:

You're a lesbian?

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Lat22 said:

I'd want more ground clearance than a Subaru.

My brother made it 22 miles in his outback last summer. The deep ruts caused by lifted trucks finally caused him to stop, when the beach got too narrow. That thing was a monster in the soft sand. He could go right next to the dunes when I was in the ruts in my truck and have no issues....

26 minutes ago, Hate said:

But do make sure if you go past the 4x4 only sign that you stay near the water.  I can't tell you how many cars I've seen go past the 4x4 sign at the Bob Hall Pier and end up stuck.

You can stay near the water but if you look in your rear view and see water in your tracks, don’t stop. I did once (albeit in a heavy Superduty) and I sank to my door frames. Six hours and $1000 later, with the tide just about to swallow my truck, the two tow trucks finally got me out. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Lat22 said:

You can stay near the water but if you look in your rear view and see water in your tracks, don’t stop. I did once (albeit in a heavy Superduty) and I sank to my door frames. Six hours and $1000 later, with the tide just about to swallow my truck, the two tow trucks finally got me out. 

This

2 hours ago, midtown said:

White cap Beach was perfect. Plenty of space. Recon today tells me that the young hot thong wearing ass shows up at 3 when the 40 something dads are packing their kids up. d90cb5e279a2d012e21242287507eee3.jpg16b152c7e0582c109d62f5d3a85d5cab.jpg6745255d735456ac230e5c5491d9b561.jpg

This story would be a lot better if you weren’t one of the 40-something dads packing their kids up.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, mchookem said:

so those pics give me hope... we're headed down in a couple of weeks but will be there sun-fri, hoping weekdays aren't nearly as crowded right now.

The beaches aren’t the problem but that same stretch of beach midtown took pictures of will likely be crowded as fuck again this weekend. Like hard to find a spot to park crowded. Even when it’s like that though it’s easy enough to stay away from people if you choose to. The issue is the stores/shops/restaurants. Bring your own supplies to eat and drink and avoid the idiots. You’ll be fine.

• Like 1

I think a weekday right after the first open day for beaches was a key contributor which is why I went Thursday vs Friday where I expect the throngs and thongs to be massive come this wknd.    Just to reiterate where I was.    I was just south of Packery channel.   Same entrance that's you'd use to fish the channel.   It couldn't be more than a 2 mile stretch from the beach entrance to where they have blocked off the beach to further traffic.   I have no idea what the area by Bob Hall south looked like.  And I assume Port A will be jammed again.   The only stores we visited were the Stripes right by the turn into the beach which was very crowded and the drive through at the Whataburger.

On 5/8/2020 at 8:32 AM, midtown said:

I think a weekday right after the first open day for beaches was a key contributor which is why I went Thursday vs Friday where I expect the throngs and thongs to be massive come this wknd.    Just to reiterate where I was.    I was just south of Packery channel.   Same entrance that's you'd use to fish the channel.   It couldn't be more than a 2 mile stretch from the beach entrance to where they have blocked off the beach to further traffic.   I have no idea what the area by Bob Hall south looked like.  And I assume Port A will be jammed again.   The only stores we visited were the Stripes right by the turn into the beach which was very crowded and the drive through at the Whataburger.

We like to stay at Gulfstream Condos which is right by where you were. Booked for July and can't wait. Hopefully things calm down by then.

3 hours ago, CycleTex87 said:

Haven’t stayed at the Gulfstream in decades, but it was our go to place in the ‘80’s. How’s the property these days?  

It's fine. They do just enough upkeep all around. Then it depends on what room you get and how recently it's been renovated.  But they have pictures of every room online now so you can at least request one that looks good.  

On 5/5/2020 at 9:20 AM, UnivTex34 said:

PINS. 

Drive until you have as much space as you want, park car, have fun. Nearly 70 miles of beach, and even on the most packed days the last few summers, we just drive a little further and usually have no one within 500 yards on either side.

At the risk of fucking up my own plan - MF this.The 4x4 only marker is something like five miles down the shore. It should thin out before then, but you can definitely push past it in a 2wd if you syay close to the water. I did it in a 2002 Chevy Trailblazer that theoretically had 4x4 but I am pretty sure did not work, no issues at all. Could've done it in a Malibu.

Beautiful shoreline too.

On 5/5/2020 at 9:39 PM, Hate said:

But do make sure if you go past the 4x4 only sign that you stay near the water.  I can't tell you how many cars I've seen go past the 4x4 sign at the Bob Hall Pier and end up stuck.

A few weeks ago I ended up pulling about 12 vehicles out of the soft sand around Marker 238 (south of Bob Hall) with my 2 door Wrangler, about half of those were 4x2 trucks...Got a little amusement out of that.

• Like 1

Daughter just spent two days down in Surfside with one friend (calculated risk, but balanced against her building insanity).  They went on the city beach, so closer to town, with vehicle access.  Yesterday, they parked and had nobody around them....then a family of 7 pulled up and parked right next to them.  They were pretty annoyed, but were able to keep their distance.  Today, pretty day, nobody nearby.

I recommended that they go further down, to the county beach -- it's usually an even lighter crowd, but she didn't feel like they needed to.

I'm kinda tempted to do it as a family sometime soon, but then, we'd need to go on a weekend, when I know there would be more crowds, so we'd definitely need to go to the county beach.