Texas beach report

midtown

On 5/5/2020 at 10:09 PM, Lat22 said:

You can stay near the water but if you look in your rear view and see water in your tracks, don’t stop. I did once (albeit in a heavy Superduty) and I sank to my door frames. Six hours and $1000 later, with the tide just about to swallow my truck, the two tow trucks finally got me out. 

A few years back, my dumbass oldest boy came out to the beach with us (we had a ton of family in for vacation).  He backed his truck up and spun his tires with the brake on to sink the backend down like a lot of folks do.  BUT....he did it in the sand where the water had been coming up to.  Next thing he knows, he's fucking stuck.  I tried pulling him out with my Jeep + winch and couldn't do it.  My son tried to dig the tires out but that just made it worse (listening to his old man is not his strong suit).

3 hours later, we had a guy come out with a deuce and a half and it took him a full running start to get the truck unstuck.

We all had a great time watching the shenanigans and getting drunk while talking with the constable the whole time (he was there to make sure no one got hurt trying to get the truck out - he said - I think he was just as amused as we were)

• Like 2

Just now, Ag with kids said:

A few years back, my dumbass oldest boy came out to the beach with us (we had a ton of family in for vacation).  He backed his truck up and spun his tires with the brake on to sink the backend down like a lot of folks do.  BUT....he did it in the sand where the water had been coming up to.  Next thing he knows, he's fucking stuck.  I tried pulling him out with my Jeep + winch and couldn't do it.  My son tried to dig the tires out but that just made it worse (listening to his old man is not his strong suit).

3 hours later, we had a guy come out with a deuce and a half and it took him a full running start to get the truck unstuck.

We all had a great time watching the shenanigans and getting drunk while talking with the constable the whole time (he was there to make sure no one got hurt trying to get the truck out - he said - I think he was just as amused as we were)

Hell, even at higher-traffic beaches, I've watched more than one idiot get his truck (and even cars) stuck in the sand at the tide line...as the tide was coming in.  Then you get to watch a guy pretty much cry as the saltwater comes up to the windows of his formerly-pretty ride.  Dumbassery has a stout tax rate.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Ag with kids said:

Username checks out

• Like 6

• 4 weeks later...

We went down to the coast on Follett's Island on Saturday. We went a good bit north of Surfside to avoid the crowd right there at the bridge/town. We were able to snag a spot with no one within about 50 yards of us all day. Google took us up through Galveston on the way out, which was a total shit show in terms of crowds/traffic. So I would say if you're looking to head down to the coast, it can definitely be done safely, just be a little bit more discerning/put in a more effort than usual to find somewhere more secluded. I'd probably avoid all together on a holiday weekend like the 4th assuming the crowds are bigger than a standard weekend like this one.

34 minutes ago, TexMex Horn said:

Just did. Never mind.

Secret suggestion (not really so secret): Surfside beach.  BUT, don't go to the beach near the intersection of the road in and Bluewater highway. Turn left, and go several miles north on the island.  Once you get past the 3-4 mile mark, it's county beach, not city beach.  And the crowds thin out a lot.  Go another few miles, and they thin out even more.  There are even beach houses to rent that far up.  

• Like 1

I’m at a house on about halfway between Galveston and Surfside.  It’s not crazy packed but there’s a car about every 30-40 feet or so. I’m typically good for about an hour a day at the water before I’ve had enough salt and sand.  But we have a big deck and the beers are cold and the breeze is blowing all day up here.  No clue what the businesses are like, we brought food to cook and I’m not planning on getting out. 

24 minutes ago, Your Mom said:

I’m at a house on about halfway between Galveston and Surfside.  It’s not crazy packed but there’s a car about every 30-40 feet or so. I’m typically good for about an hour a day at the water before I’ve had enough salt and sand.  But we have a big deck and the beers are cold and the breeze is blowing all day up here.  No clue what the businesses are like, we brought food to cook and I’m not planning on getting out. 

Yep, that's our experience.  There are people, but plenty of space.  As for businesses....yeah, we usually go into Lake Jackson to a favorite place for dinner, but otherwise, we eat everything at home.

On 6/21/2020 at 4:26 PM, Brisketexan said:

Secret suggestion (not really so secret): Surfside beach.  BUT, don't go to the beach near the intersection of the road in and Bluewater highway. Turn left, and go several miles north on the island.  Once you get past the 3-4 mile mark, it's county beach, not city beach.  And the crowds thin out a lot.  Go another few miles, and they thin out even more.  There are even beach houses to rent that far up.  

This is exactly what we did. Worked out perfectly.

Putting this here as well to solicit information:

Okay....we may be calling an audible, and ditching our usual family trip to SOCAL, and going to Padre instead.  It's within driving distance for 3 out of the 5 family units, and a short flight for the other 2 (shorter than flying to California).

We want to find a way to be together, but to minimize risk, spend most of our time together outside in the sun and sea breeze.  For those of y'all who have done Texas beach trips this year, how have they worked out for you, particularly Padre?

Each family unit would have their own condo unit to stay in, most of our connection/socializing would be outside.  We would prepare all of our own meals (we aren't going to be out hitting restaurants and bars).  We'll mask whenever in a public establishment (grocery, hotel lobby, etc.)

Any reports, advice, thoughts?  We're still cobbling this alternate plan together....

7 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Okay....we may be calling an audible, and ditching our usual family trip to SOCAL, and going to Padre instead.  It's within driving distance for 3 out of the 5 family units, and a short flight for the other 2 (shorter than flying to California).

We want to find a way to be together, but to minimize risk, spend most of our time together outside in the sun and sea breeze.  For those of y'all who have done Texas beach trips this year, how have they worked out for you, particularly Padre?

Each family unit would have their own condo unit to stay in, most of our connection/socializing would be outside.  We would prepare all of our own meals (we aren't going to be out hitting restaurants and bars).  We'll mask whenever in a public establishment (grocery, hotel lobby, etc.)

Any reports, advice, thoughts?  We're still cobbling this alternate plan together....

Define Padre...

I live on N Padre Island which is part of Corpus.  Are you talking South Padre?

I will say that N Padre/Port A have been pretty packed all year (condos normally don't rent much in April but they were all rented this year).  I've heard from my cousin who has a condo on SPI that it's been pretty busy there, too.

8 minutes ago, Ag with kids said:

Define Padre...

I live on N Padre Island which is part of Corpus.  Are you talking South Padre?

I will say that N Padre/Port A have been pretty packed all year (condos normally don't rent much in April but they were all rented this year).  I've heard from my cousin who has a condo on SPI that it's been pretty busy there, too.

We're looking at SPI, probably the Isla Grand.  And again, we aren't going to be hitting restaurants and bars.  We'll hang out by the pool or the beach, outside, and eat all of our meals outside, and do 95% of our socializing etc. outside.

49 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

We're looking at SPI, probably the Isla Grand.  And again, we aren't going to be hitting restaurants and bars.  We'll hang out by the pool or the beach, outside, and eat all of our meals outside, and do 95% of our socializing etc. outside.

My one thought is to get your reservation ASAP.  My condo is booked solid for the summer here on NPI as are all of my buddy's...

2 minutes ago, Ag with kids said:

My one thought is to get your reservation ASAP.  My condo is booked solid for the summer here on NPI as are all of my buddy's...

We grabbed 5 units last night, just to be safe.  Good cancellation policy, so if we have to bail in the near future, we can.  But for now, we have them.

Man.....I just desperately need to sit on the sand and shoot the shit with my cousins.  Maybe have a cold beer or two in the sea breeze.  Take the nephews out surf fishing for trout in the morning.  Eat dinner sitting out by the pool.  Take a break.  Grab a slice of sanity and peace.  Not being super risky in doing so.

2 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

We grabbed 5 units last night, just to be safe.  Good cancellation policy, so if we have to bail in the near future, we can.  But for now, we have them.

Man.....I just desperately need to sit on the sand and shoot the shit with my cousins.  Maybe have a cold beer or two in the sea breeze.  Take the nephews out surf fishing for trout in the morning.  Eat dinner sitting out by the pool.  Take a break.  Grab a slice of sanity and peace.  Not being super risky in doing so.

I understand...that's why when we had the opportunity a couple years ago to move here, we jumped in and never looked back.  Island life is just...peaceful.

• 3 weeks later...

On 6/23/2020 at 9:47 PM, Spur08 said:

Anyone know how Bolivar is looking these days? We have a friend trip planned July 22nd

F-250's and lifted Jeeps that cost more than the owner's residence, pasty white women that are 50 lbs overweight wearing unflattering bikinis. If they have been there for more than 8 hours then add in 2nd degree sunburns and drunk on Natty Light.  Lot's of trash on the beach and blaring distorted Country type music that somehow crosses three different genres and sounds like ass.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

F-250's and lifted Jeeps that cost more than the owner's residence, pasty white women that are 50 lbs overweight wearing unflattering bikinis. If they have been there for more than 8 hours then add in 2nd degree sunburns and drunk on Natty Light.  Lot's of trash on the beach and blaring distorted Country type music that somehow crosses three different genres and sounds like ass.

So, it’s College Station?
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Stingaree is open, jeep weekend came and went, the line for the ferry, if thats your route, is loooooong,  so get there early, avoid it, or have someone with you who has a medical issue (cut to the front to of line) Otherwise,  another day at the beach. 

• Like 1

Stingaree is open, jeep weekend came and went, the line for the ferry, if thats your route, is loooooong,  so get there early, avoid it, or have someone with you who has a medical issue (cut to the front to of line) Otherwise,  another day at the beach. 
Thanks. We will be going the long way around vs ferry

On 6/23/2020 at 10:56 AM, Brisketexan said:

I have no word on Padre but in general the beach seems to be pretty managable, maybe you end up putting a bit more effort to find a distanced spot, but that's about it.

Wouldn't be a huge fan of staying in a condo building though.