West Campus as I remember it .- 1963

Armybrat

All I remember about West Campus is a bunch of drunk people having sex at the Waterford apartment complex

And at Orange Tree, Tri Towers, Garden Gate, and at all the fraternity houses. Pretty much everywhere in West Campus. That happens a lot in college.

@Armybrat Have you ever heard of Jet Drive In?  Came across this randomly on Flickr of somebody posting some old drive-ins

Jet Drive In, Austin, Texas

Lady responded with this:

"cherrycreek6004

This is my mother's restaurant. Austin, Texas, early 1960's. Across the street from Bergstrom Air Force Base. She installed new lighting and the company used her restaurant for an ad for the lights in a magazine."
Drive In Fireworks

This is a collage of a postcard of Jet Drive In which was located in Austin, Texas and a film shot of Fireworks at Cal Expo one year. 

In case anyone is wondering, that is a 1959 Ford Galaxie and a 1960 Chevy Bel Air in the picture. With the cute couple at the Drive In, how 'American Graffiti' is that!

There isn't much info out there on Jet Drive In itself, and thanks to Mike for sending over some great info and pictures of Texas Drive Ins which includes Jet Drive In. 

If anyone remembers Jet Drive In, please chime in!

11:30AM UPDATE: I just received a very nice e-mail from the daughter of the lady who owned 'The Jet'. She said that it was originally a hamburger stand w/o seating. After it burned down, her mother rebuilt it with indoor seating and made it larger. She confirmed that The Jet doesn't exist anymore, but said the building is still there. Maybe as a nightclub now. 

Edited by atomheartbevo
  • Like 1

Guest Lobo

Where exactly was it in relation to Bergstrom?  Off 71, 183, 973, Burleson?  Obviously there's something there now, but always like finding old sites like this.  

On 5/5/2020 at 4:23 PM, HouTex said:

And at Orange Tree, Tri Towers, Garden Gate, and at all the fraternity houses. Pretty much everywhere in West Campus. That happens a lot in college.

Ahhh the Garbage Gate. You could stagger back there from Abel’s in 30 seconds. Good times. Is that still around?

2 hours ago, Lobo said:

Where exactly was it in relation to Bergstrom?  Off 71, 183, 973, Burleson?  Obviously there's something there now, but always like finding old sites like this.  

Not sure, just something I randomly stumbled across, and thought AB might remember it.  Because, you know, I remember places I saw or ate at decades ago.

I’m sort of the next generation younger than Armybrat (circa 80-84 at UT) but I clearly identify with him more than the people under 45 on this forum.

As far as this thread goes, my four years living in West Campus were incredible. I can’t imagine a better place in the country to be an undergrad.

• Like 1

Guest Lobo
3 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

Not sure, just something I randomly stumbled across, and thought AB might remember it.  Because, you know, I remember places I saw or ate at decades ago.

Wait, was it your mom's restaurant or AB's mom's restaraunt?  I can't tell from the post.