"the right stuff" series, coming this fall on disney+

henrygandorf

2 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

On what day do they post new episodes?  Been looking for a few days now, and I don’t see anything in the show details. 

@henrygandorf for almost an episode I thought your friend was Squeak from Baseketball. 

New episodes drop on Fridays. They started that with the Mandalorian and looks like that's what they will do for their originals.

• 2 weeks later...

Just watched Ep 6. Really good, but I question the authenticity of the script now. This may be BASED on TRS, but it seems to be writing it's own story to fit within the history, if that makes any sense. They are taking a lot of dramatic license and I'm not sure I like that.

1 hour ago, RPM said:

Just watched Ep 6. Really good, but I question the authenticity of the script now. This may be BASED on TRS, but it seems to be writing it's own story to fit within the history, if that makes any sense. They are taking a lot of dramatic license and I'm not sure I like that.

so tom wolfe’s account is purely historical?

Wife asked if John Glenn was the religious goody two-shoes All-American Boy Scout they are portraying him to be,  I was like "yup".  I've read that the behavior of the other astronauts used to piss him off.  They make him out to be more aggressive than the movie, but the dude had 6 Distinguished Flying Crosses and three MiG-15 kills in Korea.  Passive, he was not.

Several years ago, I asked a great-aunt about what she remembered (she was in Florida in the early 60s, and her husband worked for one of the NASA contractors), and she made a comment about the girls wanted to go out other astronauts, but Glenn was the one they'd want to bring home to mom and dad.

Just looked, Glenn was married to Annie for 73 years.  I cannot wrap my head around that.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/7/2020 at 1:18 PM, atomheartbevo said:

Just looked, Glenn was married to Annie for 73 years.  I cannot wrap my head around that.

just imagine putting up with the stuttering for that long...

Anyway. Show is getting too much into melodrama. I'm still watching it because I'm a sucker for space, but...

32 minutes ago, RPM said:

scroll up

Those are two entirely different things. You seem to be questioning the authenticity, which was never in doubt... it's 100% dramatized for effect. What I'm saying is it's being too melodramatic, which isn't the same thing.

3 hours ago, RPM said:

So all the melodrama is 100% authentic? I said they are gaming the story. You said they are gaming the story. I'm wrong, you're right. Jacksonville.

I think John Glenn being Super Christian Boy Scout Moral Compass is pretty accurate - they even had the Ed Harris version yelling at the other astronauts to keep their wicks in their pants or something.  I'd forgotten this little exchange

I don't want anything to put this program in a bad light.

We have the opportunity of a lifetime and I'm sorry, but I won't stand by and let other people compromise the whole darned thing!

You know and I know this could lead to something very unfortunate.  

I'm talking about the playing around. that's going on.  I'm talking about the young girls.  I'm talking about the cookies.

I'm talking about keeping our pants zipped and our wicks dry.

Mr. Glenn, you are way out of line!  I advise you not to try to foist your moral views on anyone else in this group.

Each man here has volunteered to do a job.  Each man is devoting long hours of training and doing many things above and beyond the call of duty, such as morale tours of factories.

Such as bringing girls up to your room?  And forgoing any orderly family life.

Mr. Glenn, as long as a man uses good sense what he does with his wick is his own business!

I'm fine with the Mercury 13 stuff as background material - it was an actual thing, and Jerrie Cobb was actually considered for a part in the elderly astronaut thing that Glenn was in when he went up on the Shuttle (although it was more about getting John Glenn back in space).

And there were a number of actual divorces/drinking/cheating.

I'm not fine with Yeager being left out, but from what I've read, he'll be in season 2 - Season 1 focuses on Mercury, and that ended before he started the USAF Aerospace Research school or whatever, which the USAF setup to train its astronauts, and responsible for his infamous crash from the movie.  That would be a cool background subplot for the buildup of the Gemini program.

On 11/17/2020 at 4:47 PM, atomheartbevo said:

I'm fine with the Mercury 13 stuff as background material - it was an actual thing, and Jerrie Cobb was actually considered for a part in the elderly astronaut thing that Glenn was in when he went up on the Shuttle (although it was more about getting John Glenn back in space).

And there were a number of actual divorces/drinking/cheating.

I'm not fine with Yeager being left out, but from what I've read, he'll be in season 2 - Season 1 focuses on Mercury, and that ended before he started the USAF Aerospace Research school or whatever, which the USAF setup to train its astronauts, and responsible for his infamous crash from the movie.  That would be a cool background subplot for the buildup of the Gemini program.

I watched the 1983 film tonight, and I’m not sure why Yeager is in the back half of the movie. I think it would have worked better as a 2 hour movie. 

I’ll probably be in the minority here, but I’ve enjoyed the series more than the film. 

13 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I watched the 1983 film tonight, and I’m not sure why Yeager is in the back half of the movie. I think it would have worked better as a 2 hour movie. 

I’ll probably be in the minority here, but I’ve enjoyed the series more than the film. 

Yeager’s later timeline did not match the film, which is why it would make more sense to run it alongside Gemini in the TV series.  Plus some important people (Apollo) were in his school.  

They could even show where Chuck Yeager and Neil Armstrong got a fighter stuck on a muddy strip, when they were looking at X-15 landing sites.  

8 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Can’t seem to talk myself into watching the last 2 eps.  Watched the real right stuff today. 
Are there any docs or anything on Gemini?  Seems like it’s only Mercury and Apollo.  Important things must have happened with Gemini too, right?  Just not first in space or first on moon big. 

Last two episodes were possibly the best two.

Watch the Right Stuff Documentary on National Geographic/Disney+ as well.

From what I had read, they planned on multiple seasons covering each program.  If they do 8 episodes a season, then another season would get them through the rest of Mercury, and get into Yeager's aerospace school - they could probably spend 3-4 episodes just on the stuff happening out at Edwards in the early 60s, including the X-15 flights.

I would be really shocked if they only went with one season.

As for Gemini, it was incredibly important - it was basically the proving ground for their Apollo plans - the various docking maneuvers in orbit, the extended stays to test if they could handle the trip, etc., which were crucial to Apollo's success, and it was also where most of the Apollo astronauts came out of.

Shit, they could devote a whole episode to Neil Armstrong's Gemini 8 losing control.  He had to burn through over 75% of his reentry maneuvering fuel to get control of Gemini 8 before they even started reentry.  David Scott said in an interview that if it was anybody other than Neil Armstrong flying with him, he probably would have died.

@RamjetFDO probably has the actual math, but it was something like a complete rotation of the spacecraft every second or something crazy.

6 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Are there any docs or anything on Gemini?  Seems like it’s only Mercury and Apollo.  Important things must have happened with Gemini too, right?  Just not first in space or first on moon big. 

From The Earth to The Moon covers Gemini a bit. I'm sure there's plenty of docs if you dig around. There were only 10 manned missions in '65 & '66.

On 11/28/2020 at 7:27 PM, Pato del Muerto said:

Can’t seem to talk myself into watching the last 2 eps.  Watched the real right stuff today. 

Very important things happened in Gemini. Everything they did in Apollo was based on using Gemini as the proving ground, from long-duration spaceflight to EVA to rendezvous and docking.

The "When We Left Earth" documentary from Discovery is fantastic, covering all aspects of the manned space program, all the way from Mercury to the ISS... and they definitely spend a good deal of time on Gemini.

Not sure where it's streaming now... I bought it off iTunes a while ago. It's a must-watch for fans of the manned space program.

1 hour ago, Pato del Muerto said:

I did find a Gemini doc on Amazon prime. Bridge to the moon or something. 

If you want to deep dive, The Vintage Space has you covered, she even builds some plastic models of the Gemini rockets/capsules.

https://www.youtube.com/vintagespace/search?query=gemini

Her twitter account is worth follow - she's a complete space geek.

https://twitter.com/AmyShiraTeitel

If you'd like to hear her speak French....

• 2 weeks later...

Maybe renewed?

https://thedisinsider.com/2020/11/18/disney-will-move-season-two-production-on-the-right-stuff-to-california/

It looks like the National Geographic Disney+ original series, The Right Stuff has been renewed for a second season. According to Deadline, Disney has been given $13.7 million to move production from Florida to California.

The NASA series, executive produced by Leonardo DiCaprio (Titanic) the fourth-highest awarded relocating show ever under the CFC program. The move would also generate the states $51.8 million in below-the-line wages, vendors, and more. The Right Stuff’s second season is aiming to hire 2,204 background players, 173 cast members, and a crew of 214.

Disney+ has not yet given The Right Stuff the go-ahead for lift-off on a second season. Deadline says that the series’ first season wasn’t the hit with subscribers that the studio hoped it would be.

Moving to California lets them cover Yeager's school, and Neil Armstrong's X-15 flights, among other things, but really hoping we get Glenn's launch.

23 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Maybe renewed?

https://thedisinsider.com/2020/11/18/disney-will-move-season-two-production-on-the-right-stuff-to-california/

Moving to California lets them cover Yeager's school, and Neil Armstrong's X-15 flights, among other things, but really hoping we get Glenn's launch.

I’d like to the Grissom “freak out” in Season 2, Episode 1. The Glenn flight in episode 2, close the episode with the insane Mercury Reception at the Sam Houston Coliseum. On to The Gemini Program in Episode 3. 

several articles over the past couple weeks covering the tax credits have been almost intentionally misleading.  there was even something from local san diego that had a season 2 start date for shooting.

nothing is official yet, but the $$ helps.  they may not know until mid january.  fingers crossed.

• 2 years later...

Bryan Cranston Reaction GIF

Disney is pulling The Right Stuff series and The Real Right Stuff.

And when I say pulled, that's it, it's not coming back, it's not going to another service. Disney is using it as a massive part of cutting streaming costs (residuals/royalties).

https://deadline.com/2023/05/disney-remove-series-streaming-disney-plus-hulu-big-shot-willow-y-dollface-turner-hooch-pistol-1235372512/

No idea if they will pull it from Amazon for sale/rent, but it's still available for $20 there.  I may actually pick it up, or find it on a website...

• Rage+1 1

55 minutes ago, Rimbo said:

most of the stuff being removed looks like garbage...

Some of it is, but most of it simply had large/expensive casts and crew/writers that sucked up residuals/royalties and wasn't being watched enough.  If Marvel and Star Wars weren't such huge fanbases, I could easily see some of the Marvel shows being dropped for this reason, and maybe even Star Wars content like Boba Fett and Obi-Wan.

HBO/Warner Brothers did this with Westworld and quite a few other high-profile series/shows - they were willing to sell/lease/whatever the rights to some of these shows to other networks, but those networks had to take on the residual/royalty thing.

It's a possibility that this stuff may reappear in the future, or that it gets a physical media release, but Disney doesn't seem too keen on physical media releases for Disney+ content.