The Napa / Sonoma Wine thread

PorscheGuy

On ‎1‎/‎4‎/‎2019 at 3:58 PM, Dangit said:

I'm planning a Napa trip for May. Will be our 2nd time out there. I'm thinking of doing a day on Spring Mountain and a day on Howell Mountain. I've already noted Barnett and Pride on Spring from recs on this thread. Any others on Spring or Howell to add to the list? 

I would recommend Sherwin Family and Schweiger, among others, on Spring Mountain.  Herb Lamb and Dunn on Howell Mountain.

14 minutes ago, Teebox said:

I would recommend Sherwin Family and Schweiger, among others, on Spring Mountain.  Herb Lamb and Dunn on Howell Mountain.

HL is just outside the Howell AVA (like a couple of others, like Wicker, that are literally across the road).  Great wine.  The tasting room is in St. Helena, however.  We did a tasting at the vineyard a couple of years ago, but only because someone knew someone; they don't generally do tastings there.

5 minutes ago, AustinMT said:

HL is just outside the Howell AVA (like a couple of others, like Wicker, that are literally across the road).  Great wine.  The tasting room is in St. Helena, however.  We did a tasting at the vineyard a couple of years ago, but only because someone knew someone; they don't generally do tastings there.

True on all accounts.  Met Jennifer Lamb at Cotes and was able to taste this August on-site, but yes, the public tasting room is in St.H. Great wine still....

On 1/4/2019 at 3:58 PM, Dangit said:

I'm planning a Napa trip for May. Will be our 2nd time out there. I'm thinking of doing a day on Spring Mountain and a day on Howell Mountain. I've already noted Barnett and Pride on Spring from recs on this thread. Any others on Spring or Howell to add to the list? 

On spring mountain I would add Behrens and spring mountain winery (smw is where the house from the old show falcon crest is located). The spring mountain elivette is fantastic. 

Howell mountain - Cade. 

The wife and I are making our first trip to Napa/Sonoma this year (late July), and I'm looking forward to digesting this thread to help plan our trip. I'm mentally preparing myself to drop a lot of cash already, but if there are ways to not spend exorbitantly, I'm all ears.

Right now we're planning for just two full days in wine country with two more in the Bay Area. Wife wants to hit up Napa AND Sonoma, so I figured we'd do one each day.

-What are the best wineries to check out if you're not a wine snob and just want a nice glass or two while enjoying cool scenery?

-What are our best options for getting around (drive our own rental, hire someone to drive us around, use uber/lyft)?

-Where should we stay if we're planning on doing Napa one day and Sonoma the other?

8 minutes ago, Saint Austin said:

The wife and I are making our first trip to Napa/Sonoma this year (late July), and I'm looking forward to digesting this thread to help plan our trip. I'm mentally preparing myself to drop a lot of cash already, but if there are ways to not spend exorbitantly, I'm all ears.

Right now we're planning for just two full days in wine country with two more in the Bay Area. Wife wants to hit up Napa AND Sonoma, so I figured we'd do one each day.

-What are the best wineries to check out if you're not a wine snob and just want a nice glass or two while enjoying cool scenery?

-What are our best options for getting around (drive our own rental, hire someone to drive us around, use uber/lyft)?

-Where should we stay if we're planning on doing Napa one day and Sonoma the other?

We always stay in St. Helena and do small-production places, but I can help a little:

1.  I would stay in/near the town on Napa (some nice hotels there) which would make the drive to Sonoma easy.

2.  Keeping you relatively close to the Napa area so you don't have to drive too far: Wineries -- can't help on Sonoma.  For a great view, maybe Chappellet on Pritchard Hill (20-30 min drive but will give you a great view of the valley). Decent wine and great view.  Maybe hit Domaine Carneros for champagne.  For a smaller production place, the new Krupp facility (very close to Napa) has a good view and great wine, and nice people.

Plenty of other stuff around (and also great stuff further up the valley, but trying to keep you from having to drive too far).  

I would limit to 2-3 per day (we generally do 2), and actually enjoy the experience instead of seeing how many you can hit.

3.  If you follow (2), you should not have consumed too much wine and can drive yourself.  If you are going to drink a lot, Uber is there

2 hours ago, Saint Austin said:

Napa: I like staying in Napa, and Andaz downtown or any of the B&Bs are outstanding. Gotta hit the Oxbow Market for oysters at Hog Island. There are a ton of great wineries to go to

Sonoma: I prefer not to stay in Sonoma, and would stay in Glen Ellen at Olea. Make sure you hit Domaine Carneros on the way there. Hit the Moon Mountain area. There are outstanding wineries in this are, but Petroni and Hamel are the best. Load up on staples for your styrofoam cooler at the Glen Ellen Market. And Pliny if that's your thing.

Bay area: Man SF is alright if you've never done it but I'd cancel that and go to Healdsburg for two days and stay at Bella Luna Inn. Check out the reviews on TA. Pussy has been defeated there. Hit the Russian River wineries, go in to the Armstrong Redwood park, great restaurants. It's an excellent home base for RRV, Dry Creek, etc. So many great wineries there, and beautiful scenery. Drive out to Bodega Bay and grab some seafood for lunch, and go hit the cliffs over the Pacific (don't forget your jacket).

Going to revise my suggestion slightly to make the Napa suggestions easier:

1.. Head up Silverado Trail from Napa and start in the morning at Chappellet

2.  Head back down and stop by Mumm for a glass of champagne (you can hit Domaine Carneiros on the way to SOnoma, or back, the next day)

3.  Grab a box lunch at Soda Canyon Store

4. Stop at Krupp on the way back to Napa.  You will then be very close to Napa and can head back to the hotel.  Another choice would be Miner, but I think Krupp wines are better

Make reservations for anywhere you want to taste, by the way

If you go to the big places, or just go to tasting rooms (both of which I urge you to avoid for all kinds of reasons) you can show up and get a glass.  Others are going to have a fee, which typically gets waived if you buy (x) amount of wine.

Places I mentioned, you can do different levels of tastings, starting at $40 at Chapellet, $25 at Mumm.  Krupp is higher ($90) but waived by buying 3 bottles 

18 hours ago, AustinMT said:

Going to revise my suggestion slightly to make the Napa suggestions easier:

1.. Head up Silverado Trail from Napa and start in the morning at Chappellet

2.  Head back down and stop by Mumm for a glass of champagne (you can hit Domaine Carneiros on the way to SOnoma, or back, the next day)

3.  Grab a box lunch at Soda Canyon Store

4. Stop at Krupp on the way back to Napa.  You will then be very close to Napa and can head back to the hotel.  Another choice would be Miner, but I think Krupp wines are better

Make reservations for anywhere you want to taste, by the way

If bubbly is on the menu do it first 

23 hours ago, 4th and 5 said:

Napa: I like staying in Napa, and Andaz downtown 

Bay area: Man SF is alright if you've never done it but I'd cancel that and go to Healdsburg for two days and stay at Bella Luna Inn. Check out the reviews on TA. Pussy has been defeated there. Hit the Russian River wineries, go in to the Armstrong Redwood park, great restaurants. It's an excellent home base for RRV, Dry Creek, etc. So many great wineries there, and beautiful scenery. Drive out to Bodega Bay and grab some seafood for lunch, and go hit the cliffs over the Pacific (don't forget your jacket).

Agree with both of these SanFran is great and all but if you if guys have been before skip and if you havent 2 days is just a tease

4 hours ago, Longhorn94 said:

Has anyone ever stopped into Peju's? We went a few years ago and really enjoyed the intimate setting. Great wine and even better experience.

Buddy is a member at Peju and we pop in every time we swing by.  Love the wine and the winery.  Was just there in December and we happened to swing by on the day of their release party.  They let all 6 of us enter the release party and partake even though only my buddy was the member.  Good times. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bert Orange said:

I know there is a love/hate thing for Del Blotto wines, but IDGAF. Just ordered my allotment of 2016 reserves. I’m guessing I could pick a 94 point or better blind with this outstanding vintage, but I’m looking forward to seeing theirs

Not a huge fan of their wine, but don’t hate it, either.  I’ve just found you can get better cabs for the same price  (esp. the reserve price) or maybe a little more.

We did the tour their a few years back.  The facility is WAY over the top, almost comically so.  I kept waiting for Caligula to pop out.

That said, the barrel tastings (1) provide a really nice side-by-side comparison of wine aged in French v. American Oak and (2) provide a copious amount of wine.  I still have some of their wine, and wont buy much again, but the tasting itself was a pretty good experience. 

• 5 weeks later...

Just finished our Napa trip. Thank you to all of you who provided recommendations. Below is a summary.

Awesome trip. We had a blast. Interestingly, we ended up going to far fewer vineyards than originally planned, but it was great.

We stayed in a VRBO up on Spring Mountain. That was a good decision. Beautiful, quiet but within 15 minutes of town.

Fantesca - wholly crap this was awesome. The wine was phenomenal and the tasting was personalized and interesting. Great Chardonnay, great cabs, great Pinot Noir. We loved it. I’d heard it was hard to get in, but since it was the off-season we lucked out. Our favorite by a mile.

Barnett - visited this based upon many recommendations. The view was great, the rattlesnake cab was really good, but because it’s winter the tasting was really cold. The wind whipping up the entrance to the cave was really cold. Still, really interesting.

Odette - really nice looking place. The reserve cab was excellent. We had a nice long stay and they have a nice outdoor patio overlooking the fields.

Rombauer - beautiful view of the valley, solid Merlot, solid Chardonnay, really nice place. We stopped by this one on the fly after a recommendation from one of our group.

Castille de Armarosa - a real castle on a vineyard built in the last 15 years. While a little touristy, it was really cool. And the wine was solid. They only sell it direct. Good cabs.

As for meals, we ate at Mustards for lunch. Really good. We ate at Farmhouse, which was really good. Picked up meat and cheese at Oakville Grocery. Nostalgia.

For entertainment, we visited Napa olive oil in st. Helena. It’s a tiny Italian grocery store. Great olive oil. We walked downtown Napa. That wasn’t good. Napa not doing well. We also walked St Helena which is a nice downtown.

Overall, great trip.

• 2 months later...

Wife and I will be doing the Napa Valley side in a couple weeks. What's the best way to get around winery hopping? We're going to do ~3 wineries a day for 2 days, and they're not right next to each other. Are Uber's going to be ridiculously priced? We'll have a rental car, but I don't want to be in charge of driving. We're not doing one of those tour vans cuz we wanted some control over which ones we go to.

Last time we went we planned our biggest day (4 wineries) where the furthest from our hotel was first and closest was last. We did 2 before lunch, a filling lunch at Gott's and 2 after lunch, ending with a winery very close to our hotel. Other days we only did 2-3 wineries and as spread out as the drinking was, and with lunch thrown in, it wasn't a concern for me to drive. 

That said, we're going again in 2 weeks and we're planning to drive to our morning tastings, go back to the hotel and park and then Uber to lunch and afternoon wineries. We're staying in Rutherford and doing the further out wineries in the morning and close by stuff in the afternoon. I've read and talked with a number of people that said Uber was prevalent if you're in the heart of everything but you're not likely to get a driver wanting to take you to/from the off the beaten path wineries. 

3 minutes ago, Dangit said:

Last time we went we planned our biggest day (4 wineries) where the furthest from our hotel was first and closest was last. We did 2 before lunch, a filling lunch at Gott's and 2 after lunch, ending with a winery very close to our hotel. Other days we only did 2-3 wineries and as spread out as the drinking was, and with lunch thrown in, it wasn't a concern for me to drive. 

That said, we're going again in 2 weeks and we're planning to drive to our morning tastings, go back to the hotel and park and then Uber to lunch and afternoon wineries. We're staying in Rutherford and doing the further out wineries in the morning and close by stuff in the afternoon. I've read and talked with a number of people that said Uber was prevalent if you're in the heart of everything but you're not likely to get a driver wanting to take you to/from the off the beaten path wineries. 

Yeah, this is our gameplan, go to the one furthest away first, and progressively head toward the hotel. Also gonna do my best to 'drink like an adult' and not get sorority-girl wasted during the day. We'll maybe let loose at the last one on the last day. Drive in the morning, Uber in the afternoon also a solid plan.

On 5/2/2019 at 3:52 PM, Gator Dave said:

Wife and I will be doing the Napa Valley side in a couple weeks. What's the best way to get around winery hopping? We're going to do ~3 wineries a day for 2 days, and they're not right next to each other. Are Uber's going to be ridiculously priced? We'll have a rental car, but I don't want to be in charge of driving. We're not doing one of those tour vans cuz we wanted some control over which ones we go to.

We did Flex Wine tours one day.  Yeah it's expensive but they do all the booking and driving so you can safely hit 4-5 in a day.  But we're also borderline professional drinkers.

• 3 months later...

4 Days in the Valley

Thursday:  Arrived SFO in the morning.  Lunch at Addendum, tour and tasting at Vine HIll Ranch with Bruce Phillips.  Had the 2016.  Great time.  Happy Hour/heavy appetizers at Farmstead

Friday

Morning — Tasting at Fairchild with Larry Fairchild.  Great time. Had the 2016 of the Fairchild George III and Sigarro, 2016 Stones 2 and Stones 3, and 2017 Stones 1.  All were incredible.

Afternoon: Tour and tasting at Arkenstone.  Had the 2016 Estate, NVD and Sauvignon Blanc. All tasting nicely.

Dinner at Market

Saturday

Morning: Tasting with Celia Welch at Corra.  Lots of fun and excellent wine

Grabbed sandwiches at Sunshine

Evening: Summer release party and dinner at Krupp.  Chef from Localis in Sacramento cooked the food on site.  I need to go try his restaurant because the food was really good.

Sunday

Brunch at Farmstead

Tasting at Somnium (the new Danica Patrick project on Howell Mountain.  Aaron Pott is the winemaker).  Had the rose and the 2015 and 2016 cabs.  Nice, but need to mature and it seems like Aaron is still experimenting with the wines.

Dinner at Goose & Gander

All in all, a fun time.

Edited by AustinMT

On 8/5/2019 at 6:45 PM, Larry Sellers said:

We are accompanying some other couples to Napa and they want to do a bike tour. Has anyone done one of those? I am not really into wine and have no idea what to expect.

Bike Tour?  Riding bicycles from vineyard to vineyard?  No way in hell I would do that.  

• Like 1

We are accompanying some other couples to Napa and they want to do a bike tour. Has anyone done one of those? I am not really into wine and have no idea what to expect.

This seems like a bad idea. I’ve seen some people doing it, but they never look happy. Also, the roads around there aren’t exactly bike friendly.

This seems like a bad idea. I’ve seen some people doing it, but they never look happy. Also, the roads around there aren’t exactly bike friendly.
Yup, I've done it. Seems like a swell idea at first, but I think you'll realize quickly they're two activities you'd rather do separately.

My wife and I spent week in Sonoma a couple years ago.  We rented bikes from a local shop and rode 25-30 miles in the mornings before traffic and wine.  Did tastings in the afternoon.  We only stopped at one winery will biking and split a tasting.  Biking the RRV and Dry Creek was pretty nice.  

41 minutes ago, Larry Sellers said:

Well, you guys haven’t provided much hope about the bike tour. It’s Saturday 9-2:30, so I’ll keep you updated.

at least a cool front is coming through, its been hot has balls out here this past week

We survived the bike tour. It was about 3 miles of riding on a small road to the Ghost Block tasting room where we spent 60 minutes. Then just another mile or so ride to Saddleback vineyards for another tasting. Then another 5-6 miles on a super busy road back to the bike shop. I doubt I would do it again. I think it cost $125 and didn’t include the tasting fees. The guide was great and nice but there were 12 in our group. So not an nice intimate ride in a peaceful quiet setting. We had great weather and good company though.

21 minutes ago, Larry Sellers said:

We survived the bike tour. It was about 3 miles of riding on a small road to the Ghost Block tasting room where we spent 60 minutes. Then just another mile or so ride to Saddleback vineyards for another tasting. Then another 5-6 miles on a super busy road back to the bike shop. I doubt I would do it again. I think it cost $125 and didn’t include the tasting fees. The guide was great and nice but there were 12 in our group. So not an nice intimate ride in a peaceful quiet setting. We had great weather and good company though.

That’s a beat down.  Relax and have some good wine.

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

I just got back and had a good time. Worth discussing though was Mumm.   The place holds a special place in my heart because we went to the one in France during our honeymoon. Thought it would be fun to relive that. 

It was the first Vineyard we went to. It sucked so bad that I was worried I was going to not enjoy my whole vacation.  It was like getting wine in the cafeteria.  

Luckily the three other I went to we enjoyed. Inglenook was best of my little experience because the history was so neat. 

• 8 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

The wineries we're members of that have tasting rooms did open up when CA went into Phase 3 in early June. I'd be wary of that remaining the case though as COVID numbers ramp. With any trip you're going to be gambling with potential real time closures. 

Barnett is good....good wine...great views. Also up there is Pride and Smith-Madrone. If you're going up on Spring Mtn., might as well hit up a couple places. 

We really liked Ashes and Diamonds on our last trip. Son of Darioush opened it and has a couple notable winemakers. It's a mid-century modern building and has a Mad Men vibe inside (though not sure inside is an option right now). Best part is they're open until 7pm. So depending on where you're staying, it could be a good end of day option as most places close 4-5pm. 

Where are you staying? That may help dictate wineries and restaurant options. 

On 7/7/2020 at 4:19 PM, AustinMT said:

What varietals and price points, and what town are you staying in?

Daughters like reds. We are staying in Napa. Open on price points....looking for nice views and experiences. I can drink any wine...prefer Pinot Noir.

Edited by Tailgate

25 minutes ago, Smax said:

You're in the wrong place for Pinots, otherside of the mountains in the Russian River valley for those. About 45 mins away

Good to know...but I really do like a lot of different wine and my daughter’s have always wanted to visit Napa so we will check off that box.

Should I worry about a rental car or just uber around...let someone pick us up?