Texas Women's Basketball 2020-2021 "A New Era"

LTtxfan

Just now, Cairn Horn88 said:

So.....beat South Carolina....and we go to the Final Four?   Not impossible.

Figured we’d lose this game by 20. Figure we’ll lose that game by 20. In the brief highlight of USCs game they appear to have a bruiser as well and if these last two games are any indication she will be allowed to throw her body around with relative impunity. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, Pato del Muerto said:

Figured we’d lose this game by 20. Figure we’ll lose that game by 20. In the brief highlight of USCs game they appear to have a bruiser as well and if these last two games are any indication she will be allowed to throw her body around with relative impunity. 

Yeah, I’m not gonna lie and @Js1 can give me shit if she wants because we are kinda the only ones who post here. 

I thought UT just making the S16 was fine because that would have been such an improvement over the Aston years. But for someone even as great as VIC to make the EE?  ho. le. shit.  Vic and Blair will recruit like nuts off of this.  

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, Pancho said:

Yeah, I’m not gonna lie and @Js1 can give me shit if she wants because we are kinda the only ones who post here. 

I thought UT just making the S16 was fine because that would have been such an improvement over the Aston years. But for someone even as great as VIC to make the EE?  ho. le. shit.  Vic and Blair will recruit like nuts off of this.  

YUP. S16 felt like a ceiling, MAYBE

15 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Vic has 3 wins over USCe. Don’t discount him 

• Hook 'Em 2

8 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

I did see warren out celebrating on the sideline so hopefully that means good things for her physical well-being and availability next weekend. 
At least she wasn’t in the bathroom throwing up or in a dark and quiet room. 

She came sprinting from the other side of the court as soon as the horn blew. Apparently she has a history of concussion issues but a mouthpiece is reducing those impacts. Mouthpiece doesn’t help much when you get body slammed on the back of your head though.  

• Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

I did see warren out celebrating on the sideline so hopefully that means good things for her physical well-being and availability next weekend. 
At least she wasn’t in the bathroom throwing up or in a dark and quiet room. 

As long as Vic didn't put her in an equipment closet.

57 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Forgot to watch this, saw the score on my google feed last night.

Looks like I missed a good one.

Was following on my phone. Actually forgot about it until about midway through the first and it was like 13-5 MD and I was like fuck. 

Got to watch the 4Q though 

"Defense is nothing more than teaching habits, y'all," Schaefer said. "The only way you're going to create a habit is to do it every day. We do some of the same drills every day. But that's what it takes to be a great defensive team.

"These kids, they're all-in. They understand. That's what I love about them. They are junkyard dogs. They are a bull locked in a china cabinet, and they are coming out fighting."

From ESPN

• Hook 'Em 2

Breaking down the box score

• Texas allowed 61 points.  This was 30 below Maryland's average AND 38 below their tournament average.  Terps ran into a defensive buzzsaw.
  • Texas outshot Maryland 41.4% to 40.0% on the floor and 40% to 22.7% from three.  Texas hit 1 more 3 pointer than Maryland (6 to 5).  Texas had 5 more FT attempts than Maryland (10-15 versus 8-10) 
  • Texas only turned it over 10 times, which was well below their usual turnover number.  Maryland turned it over 11 times, none more crucial than #11 when Ebo deflected a pass to Lambert.
  • Maryland has 6 players average double figures - only 3 hit that tonight (Miller with 21, Bibby with 14 and Owusu with 10).  Texas had 4 players in double figures (Collier 16, Taylor 15, Allen-Taylor 14, Lambert 10 and Warren got close with her 8 and would have likely hit double figures if she didn't get sat for the injury)
  • The best 3 point shooter in the nation, Katie Benzan, only shot 2-7 from three - she shoots it around 51% and only 28% tonight. 
  • Texas +7 in points off turnovers, -6 in the paint, +5 in second chance points, -5 in bench points and -12 in fast break points.  Doesn't matter - got win. 

Vic's halftime adjustments were *chef's kiss* - Texas shot 33.3% in the first Q and 28.6% in the 2nd Q and managed to only be down 7 - which was a miracle, as Maryland shot 47.1% and 45.5%.   Second half:  Texas shots 55.6% and 45.5%, while Maryland shoots 33.3% and 35.3%.  Tale of two halves.

• Hook 'Em 6

South Carolina is 25-4 (14-2 SEC).  Another dominant opponent Texas will be facing with a quick turnaround.  NCAA Vic will be ready.

SC's only losses were to NC State 46-54 , UConn 59-63, Tenn 67-75 and A&M 57-65.  So yes, the majority of their losses look like defensive stalemates.  Hmmm, who does that favor?? 

SC won't throw as many big guards at us - Zia Cooke is 5'9, Destanni Henderson is 5'7, Destiny Littleton is 5'9.  But, they will throw us height and length inside - Aliyah Boston is 6'5, Laeticia Amihere is 6'4 and Victoria Saxton is 6'2. 

• Hook 'Em 1

The smartest thing Vic did was forcing Maryland, especially in the second half, to play 25-30 seconds of defense on most possessions. 

Terps looked EXHAUSTED by the end of the game.  Led to bad shots and fatigue. 

Maryland was used to winning by 30 ppg during their long win streak in the B1G - they looked panicked when Texas had a 2 point lead to start the 4th.   The benefit of Texas being in so many close games down the stretch. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

That game was awesome-sauce, and Shelby can get bent. Those refs swallowed their whistles while Maryland beat the crap out of and taunted our players with no consequence. Huge difference in calls in MBB vs WBB, at least from that games perspective. She's just mad that our game plan was light years ahead of her teams. What really impressed me is that Vic grabbed that white board and started drawing up plays and talking intensely to his team during time outs. He clearly is passionate about the players, the game, and strategy. Something we have not seen on the men's side in a minute. There were several opportunities for the team to fold, let go defensively, give up, and they clawed their way back in it and took that game over. Maryland got beat. Texas took that game and made it theirs. I have no clue what we will do against SoCar, but this team isn't going down without a fight. Hook 'Em, Ladies! 🤘

• Hook 'Em 5