Texas Women's Basketball 2020-2021 "A New Era"

LTtxfan

37 minutes ago, Js1 said:

And Amy Wright ended up at OU. 

I'm just gonna sit back and let Vic do whatever he is going to do this offseason.  

2 hours ago, Js1 said:

Well damn, Cordoso chose SCe.  I guess she wants to role play as Boston has 2-3 years of eligibility left  

The richest get richer 

GOOD NEWS ONLY!

• Haha 1

From her Dayton bio:

McEntire comes to Dayton after spending the 2016-17 season at the University of Hawai’i, also as Assistant Coach and Recruiting Coordinator. With the Rainbow Wahine, McEntire was in charge of the team’s scheduling, scouting, and other responsibilities besides on-court coaching duties. 

“I am super excited to join Shauna and our staff at the University of Dayton,” McEntire said. “She has done a great job of building a winning culture and family atmosphere that I am honored to be a part of. This is a special place with incredible tradition and I’m thrilled to join the Flyers."

Prior to her time at Hawai’i, McEntire spent four years at the University of Arizona where she was Assistant Coach and Recruiting Coordinator from 2012-16. She was the coordinator for the 2014 recruiting class that was ranked in the Top 25 nationally and was the highest rated class in program history. She also coached the Wildcat guards, including future 2013 WNBA Draft picked Davellyn Whyte, who went No. 16 overall.

McEntire has previous coaching experience at Boise State from 2008-12 (Assistant Coach/Recruiting Coordinator), UC Santa Barbara from 2006-08 (Director of Basketball Operations), and Fresno State from 2004-06 (Assistant Coach/Recruiting Coordinator).

A native of Kiowa, Oklahoma, McEntire played two seasons previously at Eastern Oklahoma State from 1999-01. She earned her bachelor’s degree in sports management from the University of Tennessee in 2003 while serving as team manager for the Lady Vols from 2001-03.

Someone noticed Nneka Enemkepali removed all the UNLV stuff from her Twitter and her location says Austin now.  Vic might be going for a younger staff of coaches who are up and coming. DJD and Nneka have the Texas/Big 12 ties 

Vic

Associate HC: Jackson-Durrett (37)

Assistant: Enemkepali (29)

Assistant: McEntire (40)

14 hours ago, perfectchaos007 said:

Man it feels like Enempkepali was on the team just a couple years ago. The fact she's 29 would indicate it has been several years since she played at Texas. Time goes fast

Kind of blows your mind that she was drafted in the 2015 draft (but never played due to the knee injury she suffered at Texas).   6 years ago.  

2 years as video coordinator at Gonzaga
2 years at UCSB 
1 year at UNLV

Never been a college HC. Hasn’t been in the college game since 2015. 38-52 in the WNBA

Most of her college jobs were under her husband. Very underwhelming for Baylor that they couldn’t lure Taylor, Close, etc. 

Edited by Js1

Kim confirmed at yesterday's LSU softball game that Messer is going to LSU.  

Glad to have Messer (Kim's lead recruiter) out of the Big 12, though she will still be formidable at LSU.  Bill Brock is not going to Baton Rouge, so if I am Vic, I'm reaching out to Brock to gauge interest in the Associate Head coach/post coach position that is open.  

Ideally, I would LOVE if we can get Brock here as AHC to coach the post players AND get Nneka here as a volunteer assistant or something to get mentored by Brock for a couple years.  Unlikely, but a man can dream.

Getting Brock and Messer out of Waco is huge for Texas.  If Brock doesn't come to Texas, I hope he retires then.

RE: Baylor's roster - it does appear (for now) that Smith, Egbo, Bickle and Owens are staying at Baylor, or until they decide they aren't a fan of Collen.  With the July 1 portal deadline for this year, they have time to get to know her and her philosophy before deciding if she is the best fit for them.   Carrington is gone (WNBA), DiDi Richards is gone (WNBA), Jordyn Oliver is gone (Duke), Hannah Gusters is gone (LSU) and some scuttle Moon Ursin may transfer (LSU or possibly Tulane).  TBD on if the Alabama transfer (Jordan Lewis) is sticking with Baylor or going elsewhere - as a grad transfer, she can just renege on her commitment (like Katie Benzan did to us). 

Collen is still inheriting a top 10-15 roster - but holy god, thank god Carrington and Richards are gone.  Thorns in our side last year. Still formidable inside with Smith and Egbo.  Smith, Egbo and Bickle are gone after next year, so her Baylor tenure may end up a lot like her WNBA career - inherit a good team, then fall apart after a year of her coaching. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

IT passes along a couple tidbits from donor sources

Spoiler

“Schaefer is awesome. Nothing specific to report but his comments are simply inspiring. He was very proud of a “big Texas gobbler” he shot recently (it’s turkey season).”

Schaefer summarized his simple approach of recruiting to a fit, retaining the student-athlete, and developing them. Easier said than done, but when you do it right it’s sustainable.

Going into offseason, he says the most players improve is between freshmen and sophomore season and they have four freshman on the team so it’s important to get that improvement.

Have to continue to develop guard play. Rori Harmon (new guard) is going to be “electric.”

He said it’s imperative the team develops better shooting at the 2 and 3 (SG and SF).

• Hook 'Em 1

Yes, we do need to get much better at the 2 and 3.  Unsure how the starting lineup and rotation will look, but if I had to make a guess:

PG: Harmon/Chevalier
SG: Allen-Taylor/Matharu/Hunter
SF: Warren/Holle
PF: Moore/Gaston
😄 Ebo/Gaston/Johnson

I think someone like King-Hawea can develop into that SF spot at 5'11. Same with Sikuzani at center (6'5).  But both will be projects due to coming from the JUCO ranks - sometimes they take a while to adjust to D1 ball. 

Our biggest issue is (literally) guard size.  Harmon, Chevalier, Allen-Taylor, Matharu and Hunter are all 5'7 or 5'8.  Warren is 5'9.  We need someone in that 5'11 - 6'1 range who can play on the wing and inside, as a combo guard/wing/small forward.  I'm glad Vic knows. 

• Hook 'Em 1

USC's Endiya Rogers is transferring.  MSU was a finalist for her, so Vic is familiar with her and she's from Dallas.

She doesn't help our height problem (5'7) but 14.8 ppg,, 4.4 rpg, 4.3 apg, 32% three point shooter, 85% FT shooter, 99/60 assists/turnovers, 19 steals in 23 games

She'd be a better distributor and scorer than Lambert.  Might be a decent option if Vic wants Harmon to get college minutes without having to shoulder the burden of running the offense so early.  She's only a sophomore, so we could definitely use her with Allen-Taylor graduating after next season. 

Nneka confirms she is stepping away from coaching. 

• Texas still looking for an assistant HC
  • Baylor still looking for two assistant coaches
  • A&M still looking for two assistant coaches
  • Arkansas is still looking for one assistant coach
  • LSU still looking for two assistant coaches

There's some scuttle on the boards that Messer is NOT going to LSU - possibly going home to Arkansas.  I'd love her at Texas, but she is not a post coach. 

Collen's first hire at Baylor is Tari Cummings, HC at D2 Arkansas-Fort Smith.  They overlapped at Arkansas for a few years.  She appears to be a post coach, so Bill Brock is likely gone or retiring. 

Also Baylor's lone HS recruit, Maryam Dauda,  has officially gotten her release, per the boards.  With the release of Dauda, Baylor's roster has no one taller than 6'3 (Egbo) and 6'2 (Smith), as both 6'4 Gusters (LSU) and 6'4 Dauda (TBD) ain't gonna be in Waco for next season.  Current roster size for Baylor is 9 with Oliver, Gusters and Dauda gone. 

Edited by Js1
  • Hook 'Em 1

11 hours ago, texasstrong12 said:

Ja'Mee Asberry is transferring from Oklahoma State. Texas needs to be all over that. She was one of the best guards in the Big 12 last season. 

Coach McEntire follows her now. So we are def going to be recruiting her. She’s from Tulsa and Coach McEntire is an Oklahoma native 

On 5/27/2021 at 8:29 PM, texasstrong12 said:

Ja'Mee Asberry is transferring from Oklahoma State. Texas needs to be all over that. She was one of the best guards in the Big 12 last season. 

She was going to announce today but pushed it to tomorrow. She’s following Febres and Ramey commented on her ig transfer announcement 

13 hours ago, Machinator said:

Not a lot of heavy rule changes this year.  Women’s basketball really wants to go the way of FIBA in terms of some things, but the NCAA is being a bitch.

Coaches get a challenge on a block/charge within the arc at any time during the game and if a basket was scored before or after a foul by someone off-ball at any time during the game

We get new ref shirts. YAY!

Those are the only major ones I see that fans would notice.  The other ones, fans won’t even know. (Hell, coaches won’t even know.)