Earl Thomas in Trouble?

Hornius Emeritus

• 3 months later...
6 hours ago, SurlyBDR said:

Sorry for bumping. Should have checked catch-all thread first. 

What thread? I don't see anyone discussing this and it's huge news.

ET is probably going to get waived or traded from the Ravens.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.baltimoresun.com/sports/ravens/bs-sp-ravens-lamar-jackson-practice-20200822-7xnvufiddvdqtcozh3urki4d3y-story.html%3foutputType=amp

6 minutes ago, ztejas said:

What thread? I don't see anyone discussing this and it's huge news.

ET is probably going to get waived or traded from the Ravens.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.baltimoresun.com/sports/ravens/bs-sp-ravens-lamar-jackson-practice-20200822-7xnvufiddvdqtcozh3urki4d3y-story.html%3foutputType=amp

Nah ... he’d have to kill somebody .. right, Ray?

26 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

What was the deal with him giving the finger to Carroll?  Did he already know he was going to be traded? Or was he planning to go?

He had an early season ending injury while trying to get a long term deal.  Flipped him off from the mobile stretcher.

Edited by Matuka
  • Hook 'Em 1

Didn’t he make something like $22mil this year because of how front-loaded his contract was? I wonder if that will make him easier to trade. Or if he does actually rework it. Fucking crazy, man. I feel like this has to be more to this story that we don’t know about. Guys fight all the time in training camp. I wonder if some unforgivable shit was said or something because it seems like such a rash decision. When I heard that was a possibility yesterday morning I assumed they’d find a way to work something out 

Edited by youdunnf'dup

36 minutes ago, youdunnf'dup said:

I don’t have a subscription to the athletic, but this tweet sheds a little light on the situation:

jerrah : welcome to Dallas !!!!!

they ran him out of Seattle and now Baltimore, he’ll be a perfect fit in that dallas locker room 😂😂😂😂

Edited by tx 3 putt
  • Hook 'Em 2

CSB time:

I knew an NFL guy who played in the 80's-90s. During the first few days of every training camp he would pick out a rookie or free agent and get in a fight with them. The coaches loved his attitude and after he made his annual impression, he could coast through the rest of training camp. 

Earl doesn't seem like he's basing his actions on a plan.

1 minute ago, jeevsie said:

Done.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/29723620/sources-ravens-cut-trade-earl-thomas-dispute

Come on down to Dallas, Earl.  Get ya head on right.

Lol. "Struggled mightily" can be said from 2 bad plays apparently.

Thomas reached the Pro Bowl in his first and only season in Baltimore, but he struggled mightily at times. He gave up on an 88-yard touchdown run by Cleveland Browns running back Nick Chubb in Week 4 and then got stiff-armed by Tennessee Titans running back Derrick Henry in the playoffs.

He's still a great player. Baltimore is really taking a gamble by cutting him like this. Makes you wonder what the media hasn't found out about.

Earl isn't getting cut because of a training camp fight.  He's getting cut because he appears to be washed up.  Not showing work in prep and the key part of the fight story is the busted coverage (which is probably happening often)

So naturally this is the point where Jerry will finally land him. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Earl is still a good player, but he's no longer elite and he's on the wrong side of 30. Training camp fights aren't uncommon, but very rarely do two people on the same side of the ball battle it out and his team mates overwhelmingly voted to oust him from Baltimore's roster which says it all. Obviously something more has been going on behind the scenes we don't know about because no team is going to take a massive cap hit on account of a fight.

33 minutes ago, Surly Bevo said:

Earl isn't getting cut because of a training camp fight.  He's getting cut because he appears to be washed up.  Not showing work in prep and the key part of the fight story is the busted coverage (which is probably happening often)

So naturally this is the point where Jerry will finally land him. 

Has nothing to do with him being washed. It has everything to do with him appearing to be nuclear teammate. For a pretty long stretch he was probably one of the 25 best players in the league regardless of position. He isn’t that anymore, and if you aren’t that, you can’t be as toxic as he was, apparently. 

With that being said, I’m a fucking sucker who will believe that mike McCarthy will somehow get him to come around when the raiders couldn’t 

Edited by youdunnf'dup

7 minutes ago, youdunnf'dup said:

Has nothing to do with him being washed. It has everything to do with him appearing to be nuclear teammate. For a pretty long stretch he was probably one of the 25 best players in the league regardless of position. He isn’t that anymore, and if you aren’t that, you can’t be as toxic as he was, apparently. 

With that being said, I’m a fucking sucker who will believe that mike McCarthy will somehow get him to come around when the raiders couldn’t 

Nuclear teammates get put up with if they are delivering the goods.  NFL safeties tend to peak around 26-27 and fall off a cliff at around age 30.  Earl is 31.  Those who do make it longer in that position in this league (and in most positions) start to do it more and more with prep, guile and the ability to "slow the game down".  Now Earl may be a shitty teammate but my guess is that the root of this is he's past prime, athleticism is waning and he isn't putting in any of the serious work somebody at that age has to put in to continue to thrive AND as a cherry n top he's being a shitty teammate. Maybe washed up is a bit harsh...but then again maybe it isn't.   Guys can fall off really fucking quick in this game.

Edited by Surly Bevo
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Surly Bevo said:

Nuclear teammates get put up with if they are delivering the goods.  NFL safeties tend to peak around 26-27 and fall off a cliff at around age 30.  Earl is 31.  Those who do make it longer in that position in this league (and in most positions) start to do it more and more with prep, guile and the ability to "slow the game down".  Now Earl may be a shitty teammate but my guess is that the root of this is he's past prime, athleticism is waning and he isn't putting in any of the serious work somebody at that age has to put in to continue to thrive AND as a cherry n top he's being a shitty teammate. Maybe washed up is a bit harsh...but then again maybe it isn't.   Guys can fall off really fucking quick in this game.

He’s still one of the better FS in the league. He isn’t what he used to be, but he’s FAR from washed. To me, his teammates being the driving force behind wanting him off the team says more about the current state of his character. Not his athleticism.

Edited by youdunnf'dup

4 hours ago, youdunnf'dup said:

Didn’t he make something like $22mil this year because of how front-loaded his contract was? I wonder if that will make him easier to trade. Or if he does actually rework it. Fucking crazy, man. I feel like this has to be more to this story that we don’t know about. Guys fight all the time in training camp. I wonder if some unforgivable shit was said or something because it seems like such a rash decision. When I heard that was a possibility yesterday morning I assumed they’d find a way to work something out 

He must have called the guy a cocksucker.

• Hook 'Em 2

3 minutes ago, conVINCEd said:
  12 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

Somethings not right. Thomas had his shit together at Texas and for several years in the pros.

2 minutes ago, conVINCEd said:

Something like his wife holding a gun to his head because she caught him and his brother running a train on some chick. 

This right here.  He came close to a crime scene investigator putting his shit in a plastic bag as evidence.

3 hours ago, Horn80 said:

Think he is a backup player at this point and Ravens probably came to that conclusion and just cut their losses.

He isn't a backup. Which speaks to just how bad things must have gotten. If the Ravens didn't think he was worth keeping before, they would have cut him before they would have had to take a financial hit for it. As it stands, even for "conduct detrimental to the team," Thomas is still going to get some of that money after arbitration.