Environmental Conservatism Thread

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
9 hours ago, Al Bundy's Napoleon Hand said:

I read the entire article and the headline is wildly misleading from the actual content.  He's right that the "adults" in charge have completely failed, but I don't see any economic argument about ending capitalism in there.  This is the only paragraph that starts to scratch the surface:

We will simply have to throw the kitchen sink at this. Policy tweaks such as a carbon tax won’t do it. We need to fundamentally re-evaluate our relationship to ownership, work and capital. The impact of a dramatic reconfiguration of the industrial economy require similarly large changes to the welfare state. Basic incomes, large-scale public works programmes, everything has to be on the table to ensure that the oncoming system shocks do not leave vast swathes of the global population starving and destitute. Perhaps even more fundamentally, we cannot continue to treat the welfare system as a tool for disciplining the supposedly idle underclasses. Our system must be reformed with a more humane view of worklessness, poverty and migration than we have now.

I don't see how any of that requires the destruction of capitalism.  

3 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

I read the entire article and the headline is wildly misleading from the actual content.  He's right that the "adults" in charge have completely failed, but I don't see any economic argument about ending capitalism in there.  This is the only paragraph that starts to scratch the surface:

I don't see how any of that requires the destruction of capitalism.  

It doesn't, Congress just needs to stop taking money from the industries that keep any actual real conservation of materials, and actual recycling procedures, and material from being developed.  There needs to be a fundamental way we package things. Start by getting rid of mother fucking blister packs.

• Hook 'Em 1