Why does everyone hate Mizzou?

texifornia

Serious question, and a good one for quarantine. (And I'm talking before all the political protests).

Texas fans always give Mizzou a big ole "good riddance" about leaving for the SEC - there seems to be zero love lost and when they come up, most posters say "fuck 'em". Most SEC fans I know went from benign indifference to active hate within a couple of years of them being in the conference. On paper they seem a lot like WVU, but everyone (including me) loves a trip to Morgantown.

What is it about Mizzou that makes everyone hate an otherwise slightly-above-average P5 program?

I'll hang up and listen.

Mizzou_Cheerleaders_1977.jpg

Think the SEC view them as an outsider that was given a free ride..  I know they are the ones that started the Big 12 defections by openly lifting it's skirts hoping the Rust Belt would insert it's fingers and bring them in.

• Like 8

Meh I don't really care about them one way or the other.

The only team I really miss is Nebraska because we owned their asses so badly.

It is time to end this piece of shit conference and join a conference where we can go somewhere other than bum fuck middle of flyover America though.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

It sounds like a lot of you have never dealt with Mizzou fans.  Congrats.  For reasons beyond me, they think really highly of themselves.  They've never really won shit, and they act head and shoulders above 90% of programs out there.  Sounds kind of like someone else you all are quite familiar with...If only they could all be like Iowa State fans...

Unlike that other fan base they act like Mizzou actually has won their division

• Like 2

Guest Lobo

I don't think everyone hates them, we just don't ever think about them.  They were like the Canada of the old Big XII.  Theirs and Oklahoma are the only two Big XII stadiums I've never been to /csb

But yeah, they do seem kinda like a mixed-race baby in 1970's Pennsylvania.  They were never really accepted in either the Big XII or the SEC.  They're not really the midwest, they're not really a southern state.  Not accepted by either side.  

21 minutes ago, Randolph Duke said:

During 2011, three teams (Mizzou, Texas, Tech) saw their leading running back suffer season-ending knee injuries because the turf was so bad.

Damn you... LOlz.  Hadn't thought of that shit in...welp...about 8.5 years, DeAndre Washington as a Freshman.

It sucked. Eric Stephens got taken out earlier that season, by a cheap shot vs wait for it...  Texas A&M.

Edited by Iceman
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, Iceman said:

Damn you... LOlz.  Hadn't thought of that shit in...welp...about 8.5 years, DeAndre Washington as a Freshman.

It sucked. Eric Stephens got taken out earlier that season, by a cheap shot vs wait for it...  Texas A&M.

There's a guy that was fun to watch at Tech.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Lobo said:

I don't think everyone hates them, we just don't ever think about them.  They were like the Canada of the old Big XII.  Theirs and Oklahoma are the only two Big XII stadiums I've never been to /csb

But yeah, they do seem kinda like a mixed-race baby in 1970's Pennsylvania.  They were never really accepted in either the Big XII or the SEC.  They're not really the midwest, they're not really a southern state.  Not accepted by either side.  

So true, if only there was a "Show Me" conference they could join.

50 minutes ago, Randolph Duke said:

their lack of investing in their product had gotten so bad their field itself was a hazard to the health of visiting players. Remember in 2011 Mizzou had 7 home games. During 2011, three teams (Mizzou, Texas, Tech) saw their leading running back suffer season-ending knee injuries because the turf was so bad.

In

IIRC that field was nicknamed Field of Screams.  There was some pics back in the day on TOS that showed the seams with large gaps. 

As a rule, I view the state of Missouri the same as I view Branson - generic.  Branson is incredibly generic entertainment.   Missouri just does not have a personality as far as I'm concerned.  It's like the Iowa of that region.

That has nothing to do with the thread topic.

Edited by atomheartbevo

Mizzou is fine. Best friend from my childhood went to their journalism school, and I’ve followed their athletics pretty closely since the chase Daniels years. Mizzou is fine. They’re such a nonstarter that if it wasn’t for brad smith and chase Daniels, id forget they were even in the big 12. On yeah, they had Michael Sam too. I did think it was funny how they went to the SEC and immediately won the unbelievably overrated SEC East

They can go fuck themselves for the state of their football field in 2011 for one. The overinflated sense of self in both athletics and academics is the other reason, but I guess we've been the same way for the past ten years, at least in terms of athletics. It is funny that their best season in 40 years (2007) resulted in Kansas winning a BCS game. 

34 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

As a rule, I view the state of Missouri the same as I view Branson - generic.  Branson is incredibly generic entertainment.   Missouri just does not have a personality as far as I'm concerned.  It's like the Iowa of that region.

That has nothing to do with the thread topic.

Yeah, my thoughts apply more to the state in general than the school, but what goes for the state probably kind of goes for the University to a greater or lesser degree.

They're pretty much irrelevant.

But they didn't used to be.  St. Louis was one of the greater cities of the US until basically WWII or a bit later.  But it has descended into chaos and mediocrity and Branson has taken its place as a symbol or identifier of the state and Branson is generic and irrelevant to most of the population under 60.

Mizzou has a good journalism school, one of the best.  But that field may be descending into irrelevance, or certainly marginalization.  Its engineering school is also very good, but not part of the main campus at Columbia.

And, irrelevance kind of applies to the midwest more generally with the exception of Chicago.

And, although it shares a lot in common with Arkansas, it's not "southern" going back to the Civil War and doesn't have the militantly country or rural identity that Arkansas has that makes it fit in the SEC.

As a K-State fan who interacts with alot of MU fans I can help shed some light on why everyone hates mizzou. First of all you have to understand that they are constant underachievers and have been for their entire lives. They are the only P5 school in a state that has 6 million people in it but they have not won a conference title in FB since we landed on the moon. The majority of that time they were playing in the Big 8 where they had a massive population advantage compared to the other states who had multiple P5 schools(OK/KS/IA). 

Despite never winning anything mizzou fans have an extremely over confident view of their program and this manifested itself with them lifting their skirt to the big10 and starting the whole conference realignment saga of 2010 that almost sent K-State to the Mountain West conference. 

Fuck mizzou. 

Edited by Ted Dantzler
  • Like 3

Guest Lobo

everybody I've ever met from Saint Louis has been good people.  But the city of Saint Louis is an absolute shithole.  It deserves all the bad press of a Cleveland or Detroit, but they somehow skate by...I think probably because the people are so nice unlike Ohioans who are fucking assholes.  Kansas City, MO is a great town.  It doesn't get enough love actually.  Never been to Columbia (just driven thru, had a lot of friends from Illinois that went there).  But the Ozark portion that is in Missouri is just gorgeous. 

But to be fair to Mizzoui, it is kinda of like a smaller-scale Texas in that its myriad regions belong to different parts of America.  It's got a dying rust-belt shithole that is more Midwest in Saint Louis.  Then it's got a generic, but nice, great plains city like Kansas City (which could stand in for Omaha or Minneapolis or OKC).  In the middle and north is just generic flyover farmlands.  To the south, it gets to be like the deep south in terms of people and culture but it's saved from looking like LA/MS/AL because it's geographically beautiful with all kinds of tourism attraction that a lot of the deep south/non-coastal areas don't have.  For a mid-sized U.S. state, it has very disparate regions and because of its location within the Union, those regions cling to very different parts of the country.  Not unlike Texas, though just because of our sheer size, those differences are even more magnified.  

Edited by Lobo

In 1997 Phil Dawson said the field was so bad that he would have been better off trying to kick FGs in the parking lot. So the 2011 issues were nothing new. At Mizzou, piece of shit facilities are a tradition. 

Mizzou just sucks. Everything about the place is mediocre. Even their fans are boring. 

When I made my first trip there in 2005 a Mizzou student tried to talk shit by telling us "there's no way you guys cover the spread tomorrow". 

Wow, sick burn. Also, we did. By a lot.

• Like 3

F them for leaving but add me to the camp that has barely thought about them since they left.  I definitely don't and never have hated them.  Them winning their division of the mighty secsecsec 2 of their first 3 years was funny.  So was aggy boards debating about whether mizzou deserved the honor of an invite.

56 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Mizzou has a good journalism school, one of the best.  But that field may be descending into irrelevance, or certainly marginalization. 

That and the honors program is the only reason I agreed to send my daughter there.  J School is good and very difficult, my daughter's degree will be a specialization in corporate communications.

Columbia is a fun small town - students are mainly a mix of small town Missouri, KC, STL, and for some reason Chicago kids.  Football seems to be a sideshow to the socializing - I've been to about a half dozen games but only watched one.  Greek life seems pretty big but that's probably because my daughter lives in the Kappa Kastle which is fucking amazing - just plush, probably the nicest "house" I've ever seen.  So I've been to tailgates/golf outings/socials with lots of the other parents.  They have the longest continuous annual homecoming celebration of any college, and it's a really big deal in greek town.

My daughter's best friend is a townie and as a result my wife and I have spent lots of time with her parents and several of their Kappa sister's parents - as a matter of fact I'm hosting a Mizzou/Columbia contingent at the beach here in TX for memorial day weekend.

Aside from a few drunk frat boys (or drunk sorority moms/dads) I've never found Mizzou people to be particularly conceited or annoying.  I haven't been to basketball games but honestly I'm wondering about the posts above about Mizzou SEC stolen glory as it's never been obvious to me.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, youdunnf'dup said:

Mizzou is fine. Best friend from my childhood went to their journalism school, and I’ve followed their athletics pretty closely since the chase Daniels years. Mizzou is fine. They’re such a nonstarter that if it wasn’t for brad smith and chase Daniels, id forget they were even in the big 12. On yeah, they had Michael Sam too. I did think it was funny how they went to the SEC and immediately won the unbelievably overrated SEC East

Kellen Winslow was a bad muthafucka.

Senior, not the Soulja

1 hour ago, Ted Dantzler said:

They are very similar to A&M in that they could never win anything on the field so getting a SEC invite was their way to "win". They are now some of the worst SEC! SEC! SEC! kool aide drinking fans. 

To be fair, at least Mizzou had some sort of success in the SEC since the move. They won the East a few times in a row if I remember. Like right when they got there. Aggy has not even sniffed a division title since the move.

My Dad was a  Mizzou grad, Class of 1933 (BBA), so growing up I was something of a T-shirt fan until we moved to Austin in 1959.

It was very gratifying to see the Horns pound their butts in that Houston bowl game Herman’s first season.

1 hour ago, Randolph Duke said:

True story-

Jon Hamm started his college career in 1989 at UT Austin (Sigma Nu), left after a year, and finished his degree at Mizzou.

Someone get Hamm on the phone and ask him his thoughts on the subject.

Jon Hamm UT Sigms Nu 1989.jpg

minor details omitted

Edited by Dennis Taylor
  • Like 1