Why does everyone hate Mizzou?

texifornia

3 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

As a rule, I view the state of Missouri the same as I view Branson - generic.  Branson is incredibly generic entertainment.   Missouri just does not have a personality as far as I'm concerned.  It's like the Iowa of that region.

That has nothing to do with the thread topic.

Missouri and Iowa are in the same region.  It's like 4.5 hours from Ames to Columbia.  I agree that it doesn't have much personality.

I dislike Mizzou because they're so fucking milquetoast, and have such obnoxiously high opinions of themselves.  There's an odd arrogance, and their flirtation with the Big 10 is a great example of it.  For some reason they thought they were above being associated with schools in other Plains states. Like people in flyover country are for some reason lesser, and not worthy of association, despite - you know - y'all are in flyover country too.

They were generally aggressively boring, and lacked the kind of big personalities that made a school interesting.  They were arrogant as hell.  They kinda started the whole missile crisis.

Fuck 'em.

• Like 6

51 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

Missouri and Iowa are in the same region.  It's like 4.5 hours from Ames to Columbia.  I agree that it doesn't have much personality.

I dislike Mizzou because they're so fucking milquetoast, and have such obnoxiously high opinions of themselves.  There's an odd arrogance, and their flirtation with the Big 10 is a great example of it.  For some reason they thought they were above being associated with schools in other Plains states. Like people in flyover country are for some reason lesser, and not worthy of association, despite - you know - y'all are in flyover country too.

They were generally aggressively boring, and lacked the kind of big personalities that made a school interesting.  They were arrogant as hell.  They kinda started the whole missile crisis.

Fuck 'em.

Agreed. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, formermav43 said:

Think Mad Men GIF

Exactly.  I don't hate Missouri.  I don't have any feelings at all about them.  I didn't think about them when they were in our conference, and I don't think about them now.

A few weeks ago I was trying to remember who Tom Herman's three UT bowl wins were against, and I came up with Utah and Georgia.  It wasn't until I just now saw the picture of that Missouri QB putting on his backpack or whatever, that I recalled who the third bowl win was against.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Iconoclast Texan said:

Mizzou lit the fuse of the last round of realignment destroying what I considered to be the best conference in the country. Miss beating Nebraska and aggy. Fuck Mizzou.

That's right.  The Big XII in the late 90s until the defections started was the best in the country.  They rolled in the SEC a couple of years after joining, even though they were midtable in the Big XII.

That, and one of our RBs blew out a knee on their shitty turf.  And that "secure the bag" douche.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, utee94 said:

Exactly.  I don't hate Missouri.  I don't have any feelings at all about them.  I didn't think about them when they were in our conference, and I don't think about them now.

A few weeks ago I was trying to remember who Tom Herman's three UT bowl wins were against, and I came up with Utah and Georgia.  It wasn't until I just now saw the picture of that Missouri QB putting on his backpack or whatever, that I recalled who the third bowl win was against.

You can't forget that bowl game.  That was perhaps the best punting performance ever.  I was working up in Missouri at the time and got all kinds of mileage out of that game.

"Hey man - did you know our punter (who is from Australia) just recently started playing football?  He's pretty good isn't he?  Especially without ever playing high school football.  Did you know he was the MVP of the bowl game?"

And then I would usually have to duck whatever was being thrown at me.  Man that was fun.

Here's all of his punts for that game.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, dec3169 said:

You can't forget that bowl game.  That was perhaps the best punting performance ever.  I was working up in Missouri at the time and got all kinds of mileage out of that game.

"Hey man - did you know our punter (who is from Australia) just recently started playing football?  He's pretty good isn't he?  Especially without ever playing high school football.  Did you know he was the MVP of the bowl game?"

And then I would usually have to duck whatever was being thrown at me.  Man that was fun.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQSI2i72Ax5LZSFt7xQ2UG

gty_899187256_96226565-e1514483298124.jp

• Like 3

Boring school in a boring state. I’ve driven from TX to Illinois before. Southern/southwest Missouri was really pretty, big forests and cliffs and stuff. Nothing memorable beyond that. They have a lot of Steak n’ Shakes I guess. Arkansas and Oklahoma may as well not even exist, the best way I can describe those states are ugly and pointless. That’s all I got to add really. 

6 hours ago, Bullneck said:

Whatever happened to him?

Mizzou415 is still here, just goes by a different handle. He can identify himself if he wishes, I always get a kick out of his protective attitude toward competitive reality show ethics. He must be in the business. Maybe he’s Jeff Probst. 

My son and DIL went to grad school at Mizzou, so I visited several times. Columbia is a really nice college town. I would probably choose a move to back to Austin over Columbia for reasons of nostalgia (which would ultimately disappoint, as it did the last time I moved back) and Texas Longhorn football and baseball. Columbia would still make my list of places I would move to, and it might be the largest town on that list. I could see myself enjoying life in Columbia. I will live in a large city no more forever.

That being said, I'm not sure if I could ever become much more than a casual observer of Missouri Tiger athletics. And they indeed were the ones that knocked over the first Big 12 domino. 

• Like 2

Never cared about Mizzou since we didn’t play them very much.  A few folks I know that are Missouri grads act like they’ve won shit as mentioned earlier in this thread and I like to remind them that they were 0-2 in the Big 12 championship and 0-2 in the SEC championship. It shuts them up pretty quickly. 

I don't know any Mizzou grads. However, I have visited St. Louis and it's the only place I've ever been where two preachers dressed in black suits with that white preacher collar come into the bar where I am sitting and sit down and order a beer. So, there's that.

6 hours ago, ImissWallyPryor said:

My son and DIL went to grad school at Mizzou, so I visited several times. Columbia is a really nice college town. I would probably choose a move to back to Austin over Columbia for reasons of nostalgia (which would ultimately disappoint, as it did the last time I moved back) and Texas Longhorn football and baseball. Columbia would still make my list of places I would move to, and it might be the largest town on that list. I could see myself enjoying life in Columbia. I will live in a large city no more forever.

That being said, I'm not sure if I could ever become much more than a casual observer of Missouri Tiger athletics. And they indeed were the ones that knocked over the first Big 12 domino. 

IMWP's son here. My wife and I chose Mizzou for grad school basically because, between having tuition waived and paid GRA positions, it cost next to nothing (Dave Ramsey probably got randomly horny the moment we made that decision). We never even visited Columbia, but, I must say, we really enjoyed our two years there. It's on the northern end of the beautiful part of Missouri, riddled with hike and bike trails, and the people there were good to us. Plus, Columbia is a very affordable place to live. For example, we were not flush with cash, but had plenty of good restaurant options for dates and meeting up with friends. 

As for the university, I think I can explain the perspective of Mizzou fans being over confident. Mizzou is the only major DI school in the state and our nation's oldest university west of the Mississippi. It's like Nebraska in that many Missourians never consider another school for undergrad. This cultural status gives Mizzou an undeserved local mystique. Most students and alumni don't care too much that they are solidly mediocre at sports, but support the team and attend games as per tradition. As you'd expect the social tailgating scene has more energy than the games. I guess you can say early football success in the eastern division was a nice boost of confidence, but, otherwise, only cocky, ignorant undergrads are going to talk much shit. 

Personally, I never became a huge fan of their athletics. They were not good at anything when I was there, and the SEC chest thumping was nothing compared to aggy but still annoying. I've held on to two shirts and always hope they can upset higher status SEC opponents. That's about it.

TLDNR version - I went to grad school at Mizzou. It is Nebraska's better looking cousin who has a better personality but doesn't have a glory days to fall back on and hates it's neighbor Kansas for having one elite sport.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Sock Monkey said:

IMWP's son here. My wife and I chose Mizzou for grad school basically because, between having tuition waived and paid GRA positions, it cost next to nothing (Dave Ramsey probably got randomly horny the moment we made that decision). We never even visited Columbia, but, I must say, we really enjoyed our two years there. It's on the northern end of the beautiful part of Missouri, riddled with hike and bike trails, and the people there were good to us. Plus, Columbia is a very affordable place to live. For example, we were not flush with cash, but had plenty of good restaurant options for dates and meeting up with friends. 

As for the university, I think I can explain the perspective of Mizzou fans being over confident. Mizzou is the only major DI school in the state and our nation's oldest university west of the Mississippi. It's like Nebraska in that many Missourians never consider another school for undergrad. This cultural status gives Mizzou an undeserved local mystique. Most students and alumni don't care too much that they are solidly mediocre at sports, but support the team and attend games as per tradition. As you'd expect the social tailgating scene has more energy than the games. I guess you can say early football success in the eastern division was a nice boost of confidence, but, otherwise, only cocky, ignorant undergrads are going to talk much shit. 

Personally, I never became a huge fan of their athletics. They were not good at anything when I was there, and the SEC chest thumping was nothing compared to aggy but still annoying. I've held on to two shirts and always hope they can upset higher status SEC opponents. That's about it.

TLDNR version - I went to grad school at Mizzou. It is Nebraska's better looking cousin who has a better personality but doesn't have a glory days to fall back on and hates it's neighbor Kansas for having one elite sport.

Now I can’t say anything negative about my kids without posters thinking it was you. 

• Haha 1

Guest Lobo
11 hours ago, dec3169 said:

If you had told me when I woke up this morning that I'd watch a punter highlight reel, from just one game mind you, TWICE before finishing my morning coffee, I'd have thought you were crazy.  Well, we're all slowly going crazy but great vid---thanks for posting.  Getting to talk punter smack after a bowl game with coworkers had to have been fun.  

54 minutes ago, Sock Monkey said:

Do you mean the oldest public university west of the Mississippi?  Both Lindenwood and SLU are older than MU.

I live in Missouri.  I like the state, the slower pace, the friendly people, environment, etc.  I dislike Mizzou just because.  The big drawback in the state, however, is that they THINK they know good BBQ, but they don't.

Back in 1979, they were set for a big year. Solid pre-season ranking and an early game against the Longhorns.

They had "Kick Texass" billboards up around the state. They were cocky. Fred Akers and the boys came in and smashed them into submission 21-0 (scoring only one touchdown). Missouri never recovered and slid into their familiar obscurity.

Count me among those who can't work up much emotion about Missouri. My only negative feeling regards Fozzy's knee. 

1 hour ago, ImissWallyPryor said:

Now I can’t say anything negative about my kids without posters thinking it was you. 

I ask that you please not tarnish my highly exalted reputation within this most distinguished community of scholars and gentlemen father. 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, You don't know me said:

Do you mean the oldest public university west of the Mississippi?  Both Lindenwood and SLU are older than MU.

I live in Missouri.  I like the state, the slower pace, the friendly people, environment, etc.  I dislike Mizzou just because.  The big drawback in the state, however, is that they THINK they know good BBQ, but they don't.

Oldest public university.

Missouri does have disappointing BBQ. You got that right. Granted, I've never done much searching for it in STL or KC. Surely they should both have at least one local secret type place buried somewhere in the hoods. 

21 hours ago, texaslong said:

They were the ones that started the whole conference realignment, and they never got called out on it.

This. Not only has Missouri never been called out, but they have spent the period since they left blaming Texas for the whole shit-show.

I could maybe scrounge up a scintilla of respect had they just called their shot, pulled it off, and taken the credit or blame for it. Instead, they have hidden and thrown Texas under the bus at every opportunity.  Missouri spent decades lifting their skirts for the the blue-bloods in the Big-Ten and jumped on the first viable offer to come along after reality set-in that the Big 10 never saw them as an option.

I derive great satisfaction every time I think of Rutgers and Maryland being in the Big 10 because I know it gnaws on Missouri that those two schools were asked to a dance that Missouri planned and was stood up for. 

Nebraska is in the same boat. Planned and prepared for their own athletic network, quashed the idea of a conference network for the sake of those plans, and then hid behind and blamed Texas for killing said network.  Though at least Nebraska wound up where they wanted to be because it was believed (mistakenly) their pedigree would lend prestige to the Big 10 and make it more competitive.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Saint Tacky said:

This. Not only has Missouri never been called out, but they have spent the period since they left blaming Texas for the whole shit-show.

I could maybe scrounge up a scintilla of respect had they just called their shot, pulled it off, and taken the credit or blame for it. Instead, they have hidden and thrown Texas under the bus at every opportunity.  Missouri spent decades lifting their skirts for the the blue-bloods in the Big-Ten and jumped on the first viable offer to come along after reality set-in that the Big 10 never saw them as an option.

I derive great satisfaction every time I think of Rutgers and Maryland being in the Big 10 because I know it gnaws on Missouri that those two schools were asked to a dance that Missouri planned and was stood up for. 

Nebraska is in the same boat. Planned and prepared for their own athletic network, quashed the idea of a conference network for the sake of those plans, and then hid behind and blamed Texas for killing said network.  Though at least Nebraska wound up where they wanted to be because it was believed (mistakenly) their pedigree would lend prestige to the Big 10 and make it more competitive.

Nebraska stuck at third fiddle to Wisconsin and Iowa in the B1G West is pretty funny. Even Northwestern's won that division while they've been there.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 5/7/2020 at 10:57 AM, Randolph Duke said:

Remember in 2011 Mizzou had 7 home games. During 2011, three teams (Mizzou, Texas, Tech) saw their leading running back suffer season-ending knee injuries because the turf was so bad.

This.  But then they also helped remove aggy. But they are also SEC, sort of.   So I guess besides Fozzys knee, indifferent.  But fuck them for their embarrassing turf. 

5 hours ago, You don't know me said:

Oklahoma Joe’s in KC is among the best BBQ I’ve had.  I know them’s fighting words but even my Texas guests loved it.  Only thing I miss about living there...

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Saint Tacky said:

Both Nebraska and A&M wanted their own online network which is why the BIG 12 network never had any legs, correct?

I didn't know anyone hated Missouri.  They seem pretty insignificant and not really worthy of that much thought.  Other than the show Ozark, I couldn't tell you the first thing about the state or the school.  "Mizzou" is a stupid nickname though.  I went to a game there one time and have barely any memories of the place at all.  

On 5/7/2020 at 2:41 PM, Armybrat said:

My Dad was a  Mizzou grad, Class of 1933 (BBA), so growing up I was something of a T-shirt fan until we moved to Austin in 1959.

It was very gratifying to see the Horns pound their butts in that Houston bowl game Herman’s first season.

1933 BC?

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Your Mom said:

I didn't know anyone hated Missouri.  They seem pretty insignificant and not really worthy of that much thought.  Other than the show Ozark, I couldn't tell you the first thing about the state or the school.  "Mizzou" is a stupid nickname though.  I went to a game there one time and have barely any memories of the place at all.  

At least in my experience, they're kind of forgettable, but when they're brought up people have much more anger against them than most mid-tier teams.