Why does everyone hate Mizzou?

texifornia

3 hours ago, ChiTownDoc said:

Oklahoma Joe’s in KC is among the best BBQ I’ve had.  I know them’s fighting words but even my Texas guests loved it.  Only thing I miss about living there...

Well it's been a while for you because they took the shitty part of the name off years ago.  Its just Joe's now and you must go to the one in the gas station.   It is the original and the original is the best.  But you are right it is one of the best.

Anyone who doesn't understand why Misery is a shithole just hasn't done enough research.  Go to a game there, sit right behind the wall.  Then come back and let us know about it.  It is Louisiana of the north.  If you didn't know you crossed from Kansas into Mo the potholes and loss of control in your vehicle would have told you.  Injuries on that old field, multiple concussions from the 90's when they played on patio turf laid over concrete.....these are just some of the dumbest redneck people you will run into.  Anyone who's lived in St. Louis and hasn't left never stopped inside the city limits.  STL (no coincidence you can't spell shithole without it) like most cities has its good and bad areas.  St. Louis, unlike most cities just has way more bad than good.  So much racism and division.  Always tension.

Columbia, good riddance what a redneck backwoods sooey fucking town.  I imagine that it's what St. Louis was like 100 years ago.  Branson isn't terrible and KC is pretty fucking exceptional, the majority of which is on the KS side.  I'd trade KCMO for Topeka in a split second and I don't like KCMO that much. 

TLDR mizery sucks

• Like 5

19 hours ago, Helobious said:

Boring school in a boring state. I’ve driven from TX to Illinois before. Southern/southwest Missouri was really pretty, big forests and cliffs and stuff. Nothing memorable beyond that. They have a lot of Steak n’ Shakes I guess. Arkansas and Oklahoma may as well not even exist, the best way I can describe those states are ugly and pointless. That’s all I got to add really. 

I have something to add:  along one interstate you see signs for "Rolla."  All. The. Time.  "Rolla, 156 miles."  "Rolla, 122 miles."  "Rolla, 78 miles."  "Rolla, 21 miles."  "Rolla, next exit."

Fuck Rolla.

57 minutes ago, mulletpelini said:

Well it's been a while for you because they took the shitty part of the name off years ago.  Its just Joe's now and you must go to the one in the gas station.   It is the original and the original is the best.  But you are right it is one of the best.

Anyone who doesn't understand why Misery is a shithole just hasn't done enough research.  Go to a game there, sit right behind the wall.  Then come back and let us know about it.  It is Louisiana of the north.  If you didn't know you crossed from Kansas into Mo the potholes and loss of control in your vehicle would have told you.  Injuries on that old field, multiple concussions from the 90's when they played on patio turf laid over concrete.....these are just some of the dumbest redneck people you will run into.  Anyone who's lived in St. Louis and hasn't left never stopped inside the city limits.  STL (no coincidence you can't spell shithole without it) like most cities has its good and bad areas.  St. Louis, unlike most cities just has way more bad than good.  So much racism and division.  Always tension.

Columbia, good riddance what a redneck backwoods sooey fucking town.  I imagine that it's what St. Louis was like 100 years ago.  Branson isn't terrible and KC is pretty fucking exceptional, the majority of which is on the KS side.  I'd trade KCMO for Topeka in a split second and I don't like KCMO that much. 

TLDR mizery sucks

While we're on this detour, I'll agree that KC>STL by a fucking country mile.  And the touristy parts of Branson are shitty but the area overall isn't bad at all.  Table Rock lake is gorgeous. 

14 hours ago, mulletpelini said:

Columbia, good riddance what a redneck backwoods sooey fucking town.

Had to check your username to understand this take. As I mentioned previously, I've spent plenty of time in Lincoln and lived in Columbia for two years. Columbia is nicer and more sophisticated than Lincoln in almost every way. Lincoln is the result of Omaha taking a shit.

• Haha 2

Missouri used to have a journalism school that was consider well above par.

They may still, for all I know -- these days, people give as much of a shit about journalism schools as they do the state of Missouri.

All I know is, it's been far too long on this thread since anyone repeated the only important sentiment about them -- fuck them and their so-called turf. The image of Fozzy Whittaker going down because they are either too cheap or too stupid to replace bad turf is all I will ever remember them for. Bastards.

• Like 1

On 5/7/2020 at 9:39 PM, Vito Andolini said:

Mizzou415 is still here, just goes by a different handle. He can identify himself if he wishes, I always get a kick out of his protective attitude toward competitive reality show ethics. He must be in the business. Maybe he’s Jeff Probst. 

I thought it was common knowledge that he posts as @closetojumping.

• Like 1

I had never heard more shit-talking from opposing fans on 6th St. the night before a game as I did from Mizzou fans in '08.
They weren't quite as loud on Saturday night.

My in-laws are Mizzou alums. My MIL hated coming to games in The state of Texas (they live here) because they would always get the shit kicked out of them. On that night, they were excited and thought they had a chance. She laughed it off as why she never like to go to Missouri games in the state and she shouldn’t have forgotten her rule. My FIL and I went to the bowl game, it was a little more fun for me.

I have been to games up there, it is fine. You are close to the action, the campus is nice. Their fans will boo anything with little prompting. Pretty area, nice little town. At least the parts I visited.

I liked Morgantown as well. But never saw game there.

16 hours ago, Bullneck said:

I have something to add:  along one interstate you see signs for "Rolla."  All. The. Time.  "Rolla, 156 miles."  "Rolla, 122 miles."  "Rolla, 78 miles."  "Rolla, 21 miles."  "Rolla, next exit."

Fuck Rolla.

Yeah - I-44.  I had to go to St Louis one weekend before going home to TX and took 44.  I had planned on going a different way home but changed my mind at the last minute when I heard about a place I just HAD to visit.  Rolla was not the place, but it was on the way.

Now the place I wanted to visit:  Uranus Fudge Factory .  They have fudge (of course), gifts, really good taffy, and the old candy (like pop rocks or candy cigarettes) that is pretty hard to find these days.  The whole place is a blast.  When I left the cashier said "Thank you for coming in Uranus."

We LOVE To Pack Your Fudge!
The Fudge in Uranus is made fresh daily and hand-cut and packed to order. There is a reason everyone says "The Best Fudge Comes From Uranus!
Get the Taste of Uranus in your mouth today.

26 minutes ago, dec3169 said:

Yeah - I-44.  I had to go to St Louis one weekend before going home to TX and took 44.  I had planned on going a different way home but changed my mind at the last minute when I heard about a place I just HAD to visit.  Rolla was not the place, but it was on the way.

Now the place I wanted to visit:  Uranus Fudge Factory .  They have fudge (of course), gifts, really good taffy, and the old candy (like pop rocks or candy cigarettes) that is pretty hard to find these days.  The whole place is a blast.  When I left the cashier said "Thank you for coming in Uranus."

We LOVE To Pack Your Fudge!
The Fudge in Uranus is made fresh daily and hand-cut and packed to order. There is a reason everyone says "The Best Fudge Comes From Uranus!
Get the Taste of Uranus in your mouth today.

Just visited the website:

Want to Probe Uranus
Even Deeper? 
NO
What Happens in Uranus, Stays in Uranus
YES

I might buy one of these, though:

muga.jpg

testimonial-2.jpg

Edited by Bullneck

I never got bothered one way or the other for Mizzou when they were in the Big 12, but I remember them being the catalyst for all of the realignment shenanigans in 2010-2011 that led to the watered down version of the Big 12 we have today.  The Big 10 couldn't even finish their sentence that they were planning to expand before Mizzou started jumping up and down screaming "Take me!!"

Fuck 'em.

Edited by Tom
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Sock Monkey said:

Had to check your username to understand this take. As I mentioned previously, I've spent plenty of time in Lincoln and lived in Columbia for two years. Columbia is nicer and more sophisticated than Lincoln in almost every way. Lincoln is the result of Omaha taking a shit.

1) We're talking about Mizery

2) I don't live in Lincoln, never have and never will so you feel free to think whatever the fuck you want about it.

3) If you enjoyed Columbia it's because you're ok with kissing your sister.

On 5/7/2020 at 10:27 AM, texifornia said:

Mizzou_Cheerleaders_1977.jpg

I'm not sure what year this old picture was taken in, but why do most of these presumably 18-22 year-olds already look like they're 45?  Is it the dated hairstyles or the lifetime of 24/7 constant exposure to indoor second hand smoke?  Maybe it's just a lifetime of living in Missouri.  

Edited by Tom

5 hours ago, Tom said:

I'm not sure what year this old picture was taken in, but why do most of these presumably 18-22 year-olds already look like they're 45?  Is it the dated hairstyles or the lifetime of 24/7 constant exposure to indoor second hand smoke?  Maybe it's just a lifetime of living in Missouri.  

Blow dryers made everyone look like Kurt Russell in Used Cars back then. The poofiness adds a few years.

spacer.png

• Like 2

Man, Used Cars was a favorite of mine when I was a kid. I haven’t seen it in years. I need to rewatch it.

Fuck Missouri’s shitty stadium and field. There are JR high fields in Texas better that that. Fozzy was kicking ass that year before he got hurt. I mean, he was like Samuel L. Jackson’s character in Unbreakable up until that point.

11 hours ago, Tom said:

I stopped at a roadside cafe in Missouri once where the "Grand Opening" sign was still up from their recent opening celebration. The paneling on the walls wasn't just 40 years out of date, it was also actually showing signs of age. It's like everything in the entire state of Missouri is just fundamentally tired, like a middle-aged coffee shop waitress. 

• Haha 1

On 5/9/2020 at 8:28 AM, Walden Ponderer said:

Missouri used to have a journalism school that was consider well above par.

They may still, for all I know -- these days, people give as much of a shit about journalism schools as they do the state of Missouri.

All I know is, it's been far too long on this thread since anyone repeated the only important sentiment about them -- fuck them and their so-called turf. The image of Fozzy Whittaker going down because they are either too cheap or too stupid to replace bad turf is all I will ever remember them for. Bastards.

Somewhere, I have a screen shot from that game broadcast taken from ground level. It shows either Fizzy or their star RB (who blew ALL of his knee ligaments) laying on the turf and a Mizzou player walking by with his black socks covered with green, disintegrated turf. You can clearly see a seam on the turf peeling back. Absolutely ridiculous and irresponsible.

On 5/8/2020 at 4:09 PM, texaslong said:

Both Nebraska and A&M wanted their own online network which is why the BIG 12 network never had any legs, correct?

Nebraska yes. They spent a ton of bucks fitting and retrofitting their facilities for broadcasting. Don't know about the aggies. I do know that Bill Byrne told DeLoss that it would never be profitable.

On 5/7/2020 at 2:00 PM, BearSchlong said:

That and the honors program is the only reason I agreed to send my daughter there.

Greek life seems pretty big but that's probably because my daughter lives in the Kappa Kastle which is fucking amazing - just plush, probably the nicest "house" I've ever seen.

My daughter's best friend is a townie and as a result my wife and I have spent lots of time with her parents and several of their Kappa sister's parents - as a matter of fact I'm hosting a Mizzou/Columbia contingent at the beach here in TX for memorial day weekend.

We seriously going to ignore this gross dereliction of duty??  We have rules here.

• Like 2

Boring school in a boring state. I’ve driven from TX to Illinois before. Southern/southwest Missouri was really pretty, big forests and cliffs and stuff. Nothing memorable beyond that. They have a lot of Steak n’ Shakes I guess. Arkansas and Oklahoma may as well not even exist, the best way I can describe those states are ugly and pointless. That’s all I got to add really. 

I like St. Louis: Anheuser Busch, Cardinals, toasted ravioli, the Arch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

On 5/7/2020 at 6:08 PM, Bullneck said:

That's right.  The Big XII in the late 90s until the defections started was the best in the country.  They rolled in the SEC a couple of years after joining, even though they were midtable in the Big XII.

That, and one of our RBs blew out a knee on their shitty turf.  And that "secure the bag" douche.

Several RBs did.

They got it started by lifting their skirts to the Big 10 while bad-mouthing the rest of the conference (see last paragraph).

And then while their president was head of the conference board of directors, he was negotiating with the SEC.

When they left every conference in the country was asking them to defer for one year (they announced in late September or October).  The Big 12 was going to give them a deal that save them millions.  But they gave a middle finger to everyone.  Big 12 had to rush WVU out of Big East and pay a penalty.  It messed up the Big East schedule.  Messed with just about every conference.  FSU even had to schedule a 2nd FCS school to fill the hole left by WVU having to change their schedule.

And then they hired bowtie as their chancellor.

They do have a high opinion of themselves as an AAU school.  But I looked at admissions this year since I have a senior.  They were no different to get into than the bottom half of the SEC and easier than Auburn, South Carolina and Georgia, let alone Florida, Vandy and aggy.

• Like 1

Really don't hate Mizzou, but they do have some negative qualities:

1. Poor attendance. Their football fans are fickle, their basketball fans are worse. For being the only D1-A school in a state with 6+ million, MU's attendance is dreadful.

2. secsecsec

3. Uncomfortable percentage of hillbillies. Ernest T Bass kept Mayberry interesting. Two of him would be annoying, but three or more and you have a problem. Missouri has the entire Bass clan and then some.

The few sad faced Mizzou fans that wander around KC during the Big 12 basketball tourney always makes me grin.

Really don't hate Mizzou, but they do have some negative qualities:
1. Poor attendance. Their football fans are fickle, their basketball fans are worse. For being the only D1-A school in a state with 6+ million, MU's attendance is dreadful.
2. secsecsec
3. Uncomfortable percentage of hillbillies. Ernest T Bass kept Mayberry interesting. Two of him would be annoying, but three or more and you have a problem. Missouri has the entire Bass clan and then some.

The few sad faced Mizzou fans that wander around KC during the Big 12 basketball tourney always makes me grin.

Their basketball history is not bad. Their football history is mediocre but so is that of a number of schools in SEC and they did win the east twice whereas Aggy has won nothing. Their other sports are competitive. Culturally their undergrad journalism program has more success than any equivalent program in the country.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Dylan383 said:

Their basketball history is not bad.

Pretty sure Mizzou has never made the Final Four. Amazing actually. 

Love KC. 

Loathe STL. Faded glory by half a century and they cant admit it. Most provincial place ever. 

Look, nobody really gives a fuck where you went to high school, especially when you are 50. 

Married a Mizzou gal and the folks I know are nice enough but there are a lot of times where they dont remember where they are in the food chain and it becomes an issue. They usually get reminded soon enough. 

4 minutes ago, bullzak said:

Look, nobody really gives a fuck where you went to high school, especially when you are 50. 

Hah, my brother went to Ole Miss and knew a lot of Saint Louisians there, and always mentioned how weirdly obsessed with their high schools they were.

Edited by texifornia

The thing with Mizzou that is amazing to me is that they literally have blown about every advantage a single power 5 state university could possibly blow. Think about past glories at Nebraska, Minnesota, or Colorado. Think about Ohio State, LSU, and even Utah. You can find national championships/ Final Fours/ BCS bowl games rather easily for these teams listed in the last 60 years. 

Then think about the sizes of St. Louis and Kansas City and being stuck right in the middle of them. Its almost extraordinary to suck this bad. 

Losing A&M, Nebraska, and Colorado were all more painful than losing Mizzou. WVU is a fine replacement for them. 

On 5/15/2020 at 12:04 PM, Dylan383 said:

Grew up in St. Louis. Good one

No you didn't, you grew up in Wentzville, South County, St. Charles, Clayton......you didn't grow up in STL

Oh yeah, completely forgot about the high school thing.  Living in the past.

6 hours ago, mulletpelini said:

No you didn't, you grew up in Wentzville, South County, St. Charles, Clayton......you didn't grow up in STL

Yeah I grew up outside SF and that was the equivalent of "it's amazing. The Golden Gate Bridge. Cable cars. Sourdough bread. Fisherman's Wharf."

You don’t know St. Louis. St Charles maybe you know. St. Louis isn’t in St. Louis county. You’re watching too much Ozark.

Yeah I grew up outside SF and that was the equivalent of "it's amazing. The Golden Gate Bridge. Cable cars. Sourdough bread. Fisherman's Wharf."

The founder of twitter is from St. Louis not San Francisco. But fantastic, “amazing” analogy.