NFL 2020 Season Catch All Thread

LTtxfan

NFL Network Asks For Bill Belichick's Dog to Appear on Schedule Release Show

MICHAEL SHAPIRO             2 HOURS AGO

The NFL will release its 2020 schedule on Thursday night, and the league's broadcast on the NFL Network may feature one special guest.  The network has requested that Bill Belichick's dog, Nike, appear on Thursday's telecast, two weeks after he was the star of the first round of the 2020 NFL Draft. But there's no guarantee the league's premier canine will be available, per NFL media executive Mark Quenzel.

"Yes, we made a request for the dog,” Quenzel told the Sports Business Journal's John Ourand. “We don’t know if we’re going to get the dog. That may be the most popular segment. The dog may be the star of the whole darn show.”

Nike won't be the only headliner on the NFL schedule release. Executives John Elway and John Lynch are slated to make an appearance, as are head coaches Andy Reid and Sean McVay. 

Thursday's program will last three hours and starts at 8 p.m. ET. The show will continue to raise funds for COVID-19 relief efforts.  

https://www.si.com/nfl/2020/05/07/bill-belichick-dog-nike-nfl-network-schedule-reveal

Michigan coach Jim Harbaugh wants NFL draft flexibility for college football players

Dan MurphyESPN Staff Writer

Michigan coach Jim Harbaugh wants college football players to have the ability to enter the NFL draft whenever they want to. He also wants players who go unselected in the draft to be allowed to return to school.  Harbaugh wrote an open letter Thursday addressed to the "College Football Community," laying out a proposal that would provide more flexibility for players who consider making the jump to pro football despite still having college eligibility.

Current NFL rules state that a player must be at least three years removed from high school before entering the draft. NCAA rules do not allow players to return to college football once they declare for the draft, even if they haven't used all of their NCAA eligibility.

"There are 'early bloomers' capable of competing in the NFL and earning a livelihood at an earlier age," Harbaugh wrote in the letter. "The goal would be to create a scenario that makes adjustments for all current and future student‐athletes that puts the timeline for transition to professional football at their discretion and that of their family. I propose an option that allows them to make the decision that is best for them."

Harbaugh also said he would like to see rules that allow college football players to consult with agents for advice before signing professional contracts, as long as the athlete doesn't receive any compensation as part of that relationship. Under Harbaugh's proposed plan, a player would be allowed to enter his name in the draft and return to school if he is not picked in the seven rounds of the draft. If a player is selected in the draft or signs a free-agent contract, he would relinquish the rest of his college eligibility under Harbaugh's plan.  The draft age has been a topic of debate for most of the past decade. About half of college coaches support the idea of allowing players to head to the NFL whenever they want, according to Todd Berry, the executive director of the American Football Coaches Association.

Berry said coaches who support the idea see it as an alternative to allowing college players to profit from endorsement deals while playing in college. The NCAA's board of governors announced last week that it supports a plan to allow college athletes more opportunities to make money during their time in school. "Some say, 'Hey let's keep this [current NCAA] model as it is, and if they want a way to make more than that, they can go pro,'" Berry said Thursday.

Harbaugh's two-page letter makes no mention of his stance being related to the potential changes of NCAA rules about name, image and likeness. A Michigan spokesman said Harbaugh's letter was not a response to or related to the NCAA working group's recent announcement about potential changes to name, image and likeness rules.  Harbaugh previously mentioned his desire to see NFL draft rules changed shortly after California passed a law last fall that has prompted the ongoing push to change name, image and likeness rules.

Berry said coaches who are against the idea of opening up the draft are worried it would lead to "a lot of young people making bad decisions thinking that they're going to get drafted." Changing the rules to allow players to return to college after entering the draft would require a major shift in the recruiting calendar to allow coaches to manage their rosters, Berry said.  "We'd have to have a dramatic change in when our signing dates are," Berry said. "Otherwise, you'd have to make offers not knowing what you'd have to replace. ... It would require a complete overhaul of the recruiting calendar."

Harbaugh's proposal includes stipulations that he says help maintain the goals of players getting their diplomas. Under his plan, schools would be responsible for covering the costs of a player's education for different lengths of time, depending on how long the player was a member of the football program. For example, if a player left for the draft after his freshman season, the school would be responsible for paying for one additional year of education if the player decided to return to school after his pro career was over.  Harbaugh also said in his letter that, in the future, he'd like to see college football create a "clean, clear and concise" rule that each player gets five years of eligibility and eliminates the redshirt rules that currently limit a player to four years of participation during a five-year window.  He said he also would like to get rid of the "hard cap" that currently restricts teams from signing more than 25 new scholarship players per year.

Harbaugh said he's hoping his letter will stoke a conversation about the need for change. On matters where the opinions of the coaching community are split 50-50, Berry said his organization generally does not press hard for change until a heavy majority consensus can be reached.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/29146934/michigan-coach-jim-harbaugh-wants-college-football-players-flexibility-nfl-draft

Edited by LTtxfan

I gotta give props to Roger Goodell for once. He’s basically said fuck the corona, and going all in. As I said above, I will watch all 3 hours, even though it’s completely unnecessary for this to be that long haha. Fuck it, I’m gonna get a 6 pack on the way home and make it an event. 

I've never been a big NFL team (no allegience to any team), but damn if I'm not excited to watch this. Do they announce all the matchups for MNF and SNF and all that too or just what week who is playing who?

Edited by SimonBolivar

Yeah, I’ll be watching it and posting in the Drunk thread tonight.

While I agree that players should be allowed to go pro whenever they want, I think I agree with a little bit of time between high school and the pros. There may be quite a few players athletically that can compete in the NFL, I’m not sure how many of them can physically compete. It’s a tough one because the initial thought is to protect the players from making bad decisions based on immediate monetary needs or desires, but I can see very few players that will actually benefit from going pro out of high school. I guess in the end they really should have the right to make that bad decision for themselves. I do like the “if they don’t get drafted” clause proposed by Harbaugh though.

Rams Schedule: Full List of Games and Dates for 2020 Season

The NFL released the 2020 season schedule on Thursday night and revealed every matchup for the Los Angeles Rams.

The team will move into its new home this season at Los Angeles' SoFi Stadium, which it will share with the Chargers. Between the two franchises, 16 games will be played at the new venue throughout the season.

The Rams will play the first NFL game at SoFi Stadium against the Dallas Cowboys on Sept. 13 on NBC's Sunday Night Football in Week 1. That'll be a rematch of a 2018 divisional playoff game, which the Rams won, 30-22, en route to a spot in Super Bowl LIII.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2020/05/08/rams-schedule-2020-games-matchups-dates-list

2020 NFL Schedule Release: Over/Under Totals for All 32 Teams

Look below for over/under win totals for all 32 teams:

• Arizona Cardinals  6.5 (Over -155/Under +135)
  • Atlanta Falcons      7.5 (Over -120/Under Even)
  • Baltimore Ravens 11.5 (Over +105/Under -125)
  • Buffalo Bills              9 (Over Even/Under -120)
  • Carolina Panthers   5.5 (Over -110/Under -110)
  • Chicago Bears        8.5 (Over +115/Under -135)
  • Cincinnati Bengals   5.5 (Over +110/Under -130)
  • Cleveland Browns    8.5 (Over -110/Under -110)
  • Dallas Cowboys    9.5 (Over -125/Under +105)
  • Denver Broncos    7.5 (Over -115/Under -105)
  • Detroit Lions          6.5 (Over -115/Under -105)
  • Green Bay Packers   9.5 (Over +120/Under -140)
  • Houston Texans   7.5 (Over -130/Under +110)
  • Indianapolis Colts    8.5 (Over -150/Under +130)
  • Jacksonville Jaguars  4.5 (Over -130/Under +110)
  • Kansas City Chiefs    11.5 (Over -140/Under +120)
  • Las Vegas Raiders    7.5 (Over -110/Under -110)
  • Los Angeles Chargers   8 (Over -110/Under -110)
  • Los Angeles Rams   8.5 (Over +120/Under -140)
  • Miami Dolphins       6 (Over -135/Under +115)
  • Minnesota Vikings   9 (Over -105/Under -115)
  • New England Patriots   9 (Over +105/Under -125)
  • New Orleans Saints   10.5 (Over -110/Under -110)
  • New York Giants   6.5 (Over -110/Under -110)
  • New York J-E-T-S       6.5 (Over -135/Under +110)
  • Philadelphia Eagles   9.5 (Over -105/Under -115)
  • Pittsburgh Steelers    9 (Over -125/Under +105)
  • San Francisco 49ers   10.5 (Over -120/Under Even)
  • Seattle Seahawks    9.5 ()ver +115/Under -135)
  • Tampa Bay Buccaneers   9.5 (Over -130/Under +110)
  • Tennessee Titans     8.5 (Over -130/Under +110)
  • Washington Redskins       5.5 (Over -110/Under -110)

https://www.si.com/nfl/2020/05/08/2020-nfl-schedule-over-under-betting-totals-gambling

Edited by LTtxfan

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/29185936/bills-lineman-ed-oliver-arrested-dwi-gun-charges

Oliver is being held at Montgomery County Jail after being pulled over on State Highway 242. Both charges are misdemeanors, according to the jail's website.

The 22-year-old Oliver had an open beer between his legs and was determined to be impaired after a field sobriety test, according to MontgomeryCountyPoliceReporter.com.

The officer who administered the test noted that Oliver may have been impaired by something other than alcohol, and police discovered a pistol in Oliver's vehicle, according to the report. No drugs were found.

Police were alerted to Oliver's driving by a 911 call from another motorist, who reported a Ford Super Duty pickup hauling a trailer with a dune buggy on it through a 45 mph construction zone on State Highway 242, according to MontgomeryCountyPoliceReporter.com. The 911 caller noted that Oliver was "failing to maintain a lane and driving dangerously," according to the report.

Oliver underwent a mandatory blood draw before being transported to the jail.

"We are aware of the situation and we are gathering more information," said the Bills via statement. "We will have no further comment at this point."

The 6-foot-1, 287-pound Oliver was the ninth overall selection in last year's draft and had an immediate impact for the Bills, recording 43 tackles and five sacks last season as a rookie.

2 hours ago, TonyTexas said:

Not really. 
spacer.png

If it happens more than onside kick recoveries it is too many times.  That was about 6% last year.  Even if it is a wash, I do not like the idea.  I will admit that it may be more exciting than an onside kick, but I am a traditionalist. 

14 minutes ago, Hate said:

If it happens more than onside kick recoveries it is too many times.  That was about 6% last year.  Even if it is a wash, I do not like the idea.  I will admit that it may be more exciting than an onside kick, but I am a traditionalist. 

Onside  kicks were more than twice as likely to be successful in the years prior to 2018 when rule changes made them almost impossible to achieve. That’s why they are looking for alternatives. 

Edited by TonyTexas

On 5/21/2020 at 4:55 PM, michaelpshayes said:

Big change in the sport. Good luck against qbs like Mahomes. 

This is a little ridiculous. 

The Chiefs didn't attempt to convert any fourth-down plays of 15 or more yards last season. But on third-down plays of 15 yards or longer, Mahomes was 12-of-16 for 255 yards and three touchdowns. On a third-and-15 during the fourth quarter of Super Bowl LIV, Mahomes completed a 44-yard pass to Tyreek Hill.

We’ll find out later today. 

The “fourth-and-15” alternative to the onside kick has been tweaked in advance of tomorrow’s vote by NFL owners.

The biggest change to the rules proposal is that it will now be an untimed down. The initial proposal put forward was for the clock to start on the snap and run as it would on a normal play. But as we’ve previously noted, that would give a team that takes a lead with a few seconds remaining an easy way to run the last few seconds off the clock: Have the quarterback scramble around and then throw the ball deep, like Patrick Mahomes did on the last play of the Super Bowl. As an untimed down, that’s no longer an option.

Changing the play to an untimed down makes it more exciting regardless of who’s winning: It both prevents leading teams from using it to run the rest of the time off the clock, and also gives trailing teams more time to mount a comeback. Under the current rules, a team that scores a touchdown to make it a one-possession game with 0:01 remaining on the clock has no chance, because an onside kick would use that last second. With the untimed onside kick alternative, that team would have a chance.

Other tweaks to the rules proposal include a clarification that the fourth-and-15 play can be used in regulation only, not in overtime. And a team that initially declares its intention to use the onside kick alternative can change its mind and kick off, but only if it calls timeout first.

Owners will vote on the onside kick alternative and other rules changes in a virtual meeting on Thursday.

It ain’t the falling that gets you... 

A worker at the SoFi Stadium construction site in Inglewood, California, died at the scene after falling from the roof Friday, a spokesperson for the contractor confirmed.

Turner-AECOM Hunt, the site's general contractor, said an iron worker fell from the roof structure and emergency responders were called immediately. The worker died on scene.

SoFi Stadium is home to the Los Angeles Rams and Chargers and was set to open for the 2020 NFL season.

"This is an extremely sad day. Our thoughts and prayers are with his family, friends and colleagues at this extremely difficult time," Turner-AECOM Hunt said in a statement. "We work extremely hard to prevent days like this and we have halted all construction activity. Counseling services will be made available to all workers on site to support them in the difficult days and weeks ahead."

It is uncertain when work on site will resume.

The stadium, owned by Stan Kroenke, is scheduled to hold its first event on Aug. 14 when the Rams and New Orleans Saints play in a preseason game.

Stadium construction began in November 2016.

The stadium was initially estimated to cost $2.6 billion, but now has a price tag estimated at more than $5 billion.

This is the first known incident that has resulted in a death at the construction site.

14 hours ago, Michael Knight said:

Roger Goodell just apologized for not listening to players when they took a knee

he hasn't apologized for not embracing gay marriage earlier, I don't think this is enough

but it should be enough to get the "extra draft pick for minority coaches" idea rekindled

On 5/9/2020 at 4:10 PM, Nicole44 said:

They should hire Moose away now that he's not busy with the XFL. His broadcasting talents have been wasted in increasing obscurity over the past several years.