NFL 2020 Season Catch All Thread

LTtxfan

4 minutes ago, youdunnf'dup said:

Injuries, and playing for historically the worst franchise in the sport will do that to you. We’re about to find out if mcvay is the offensive mind that we think he is, because Stafford is CLEARLY better than Goff. But what they gave up is just ridiculous 

Two 1st round picks is absurd for a guy who's injured constantly. In comparison. Calvin Johnson made 6 pro bowls, 3 first team all-pro, a second team all-pro, and the all decades team. That's pretty much saying Stafford is average. It's hard to say if he's better than Goff since Goff has made two pro bowls in 4 seasons and has done what was asked of him. 

Maybe if Stafford can somehow manage to not get hurt we might see what he's capable of doing when he has another receiving threat and running game. But it's still weird that he wasn't recognized for anything even with Megatron on his team.

19 minutes ago, Dewey said:

What qbs in the nfc got the nod ahead of Stafford?  Rodgers and? 

I honestly don't think he's much of an upgrade from Goff, definitely better, but 2 first round picks? 

Kurt Warner, Drew Brees, Eli Manning, Donovan McNabb, Tony Romo, Brett Favre, Michael Vick, Matt Ryan, Cam Newton, RGIII, Russell Wilson, Nick Foles, Teddy Bridgewater, Jameis Winston, Dak Prescott, Kirk Cousins, Carson Wentz, Jared Goff, Mitch Trubisky.

Stafford made the 2014 Pro Bowl and was Offensive player of the game 

Edit: The list starts from Stafford's rc season in 2009-2020

Edited by Spider2YBanana

Great video analysis of Stafford trade  in the article link below...

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/rams-tried-to-trade-for-aaron-rodgers-before-acquiring-matthew-stafford-but-packers-refused-per-report/  

Could end up being a good trade for both teams if Rams get back to the Superbowl in next 2years, and Lions actually draft well with the three draft picks they got in the trade for Stafford.

Guy on the video said Lions are out $50mill over next 2yrs for Goff, so basically eating that contract unless Goff somehow turns things around and performs well in Detroit.  He also expects the Lions to draft a QB in the 1st Rd of this year's draft...

Great SI article @Machinator 

Especially enjoyed  two sections...

First:  Two things worked to buoy the Rams’ interest, and the first was McVay’s personal drive to get the deal done.

Along those lines, McVay was the one who called Rams owner Stan Kroenke on Saturday to sign off on the team going the extra mile to get it done, spurred by some extra tape work he and Snead did. That work only cemented what McVay loved about Stafford already—how quickly he processes, his pocket movement, his play urgency, his ability to throw off platform or in rhythm and his tough, fearless style—which pushed Snead into the mode where he was going into the afternoon with the intention of getting a deal done.

The second thing was that everyone the Rams asked loved and believed in Stafford. And that wound up including McVay himself, who happened to have a casual friendship with him. McVay is buddies with Bills receivers coach Chad Hall, from the days when the two were star high school quarterbacks in the Atlanta area (McVay at Marist, Hall at Wesleyan), and Hall’s sister happens to be … Kelly Hall Stafford.

Second:  On paper, the return looks a little wild. But the Rams’ perspective on the deal was a little different than most.

First, as they saw it, if the first-round picks wind up being in the 20s (or later), then they’d have given up about what, on a points basis, Carolina was offering with the eighth overall pick. The old Jimmy Johnson draft value chart puts the eighth pick at 1,400 points, making it equal to two 26th overall picks (700 each). And getting a clean break on Goff, and offloading his deal, rather than having to smoke out suitors under duress was a big benefit.

The third-rounder they’re giving up this year, interestingly enough, they’ll essentially get back as a comp pick for the Lions’ hire of Holmes.

And Snead’s department has found a way to dig out guys like Cam Akers, Van Jefferson, Cooper Kupp, John Johnson, Taylor Rapp, Samson Ebukam, Gerald Everett, Jordan Fuller, Darious Williams, and Sebastian Joseph-Day outside the first round over the last few years. Of course, with a top-heavy salary structure, and no first-rounders the next three years, it’s going to be more essential to do it now than ever. But the Rams have shown they can.

With all this in mind, the Rams’ front office moved forward, knowing that, at the very least, it had to beat a current-year top-10 pick to get Stafford. As the group worked on it, a couple things came up. One was that Brees and Aaron Rodgers had only been to one Super Bowl apiece, Russell Wilson hadn’t been back to the NFC title game in five years and Ben Roethlisberger had only gone that far once since his last Super Bowl, 10 years ago. Another was a stat that a member of the brass saw on social media.

Lions QB Matthew Stafford, in 166 starts, has only had a 100-yard rusher 11 times.

Both things reinforced, to everyone in the room, how hard it is to win in the NFL, and how important it is, when you have a team you think is capable of making to the top, to give it every chance—even if that means walking away from a quarterback who’s second in wins to Tom Brady over the last four years (Goff is, with 42).

And in the weird circumstances of 2020, it meant Snead, Demoff, and Pastoors getting the deal done over FaceTime, out of the office and in different spots outside of L.A., with McVay hunting down his new quarterback to celebrate in Mexico in the aftermath.

So Stafford’s a Ram, under contract for the next two years at a relative bargain price of $43 million, and set to turn 33 on Super Bowl Sunday, and the message this sends to all of his soon-to-be-teammates couldn’t be clearer: The brain trust believes the team is ready to win very big and win very big right now.

Maybe it’ll work, and Stafford will be holding a trophy a year from now. Maybe it won’t, and the roster will be in ruins a couple years down the line, cap-strapped and bereft of young talent.

Either way, this mic-dropping moment for the Rams will echo for years to come.

Edited by LTtxfan
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Dr. Beeper said:

Stafford has played a full schedule in 9 of 10 seasons. 

Stafford has never had a running game. 

You make an ass of yourself in every thread. 

Sure thing, Mr. Know it all. I'm sure you know Stafford personally and you're part of that organization, too. You know everything there is to know about everything. You're literally the herpes of this board. Just when we think you're gone, POOF! You're back in full flare up annoying the rest of us. 

6 minutes ago, Dr. Beeper said:

I don’t know Stafford or his family.  Separately, I’m not sorry other connections I have bother you, and in fact it’s amusing. I know Stafford’s really never hurt except for 2019, because I know how to read, and don’t post based on emotion. 

Sure thing, I know everything about everything. Your entire posting history is pissing on anything anyone says. So, Mr. Know it all, how do you explain Stafford only getting one single invite to the pro bowl? Also, since you're an idiot a simple Google search shows he's had injury issues since his rookie season. Also, in 12 seasons he's thrown for over 4k yards 8 times and only has a single pro bowl. I wonder why? It can't just be he doesn't have talent. Who else is catching those balls? I can't wait to hear your know it all wisdom 

Edited by Spider2YBanana

6 minutes ago, Dr. Beeper said:

It’s amazing someone who is SO injured - you know, one who has started 95% of his team’s last 160 games - has thrown for over 4K yards 8 times.

You really are too stupid to engage. You’re like a slightly more intelligent, much more aggressive Drew. Have a nice life. 

You said have a nice life last time and you keep following me around like a homeless guy asking to give me a blow job for a dollar. 

So, answer the question why Stafford has only been to one Pro Bowl despite throwing for 4,000+ yards 8 times in his career. We're all waiting in anticipation for your answer. He's just so talented I guess you know more than the NFL and its players, unsurprisingly with your know everything knowledge. Oh, and those injuries? It's weird that a simple Google search keeps bringing them up, but I guess I just magically made them up and they're no big deal when people talk about them. But hey, you know more than the NFL and others close to him in the organization. 

Edited by Spider2YBanana

39 minutes ago, Spider2YBanana said:

You said have a nice life last time and you keep following me around like a homeless guy asking to give me a blow job for a dollar. 

So, answer the question why Stafford has only been to one Pro Bowl despite throwing for 4,000+ yards 8 times in his career. We're all waiting in anticipation for your answer. He's just so talented I guess you know more than the NFL and its players, unsurprisingly with your know everything knowledge. Oh, and those injuries? It's weird that a simple Google search keeps bringing them up, but I guess I just magically made them up and they're no big deal when people talk about them. But hey, you know more than the NFL and others close to him in the organization. 

Who gives a fuck about the pro bowl. Since when has that been a measuring stick for anything lol. This isn’t baseball. He hasn’t made pro bowls because of injuries. He’s actually the prototype for the probowl because of his projected stats every year and the fact that he plays for the worst organization in the sport so he doesn’t have to worry about getting deep into the postseason. 

The Rams had to give up that 2nd first round pick so they could trade Goff’s contract. He’s clearly better than Goff. Anyone with a brain can see that. How much better, I guess we’ll find out. But it’s an upgrade for sure. It just boils down to health with Stafford. If he gets hurt like he always does, this is a disaster. 

Edited by youdunnf'dup

Just now, youdunnf'dup said:

Who gives a fuck about the pro bowl. Since when has that been a measuring stick for anything lol. This isn’t baseball. He hasn’t made pro bowls because of injuries. He’s actually the prototype for the probowl because of his projected stats every year and the fact that he plays for the worst organization in the sport so he doesn’t have to worry about getting deep into the postseason. 

The Rams had to give up that 2nd first round pick so they could trade Goff’s contract. He’s clearly better than Goff. Anyone with a brain can see that. How much better, I guess we’ll find out. But it’s an upgrade for sure.

I honestly don't care about either Goff or Stafford. I just think it's dumb af to trade 2 first round picks for a guy with injury issues. I guess we'll find out if his strong arm will translate to wins. As for the pro bowl, it's just odd that Goff already has 2 in 4 years, while Stafford has 1 in 12 seasons despite throwing for 4,000+ yards 8 times. 

In the end I don't give two shits about either qb. Maybe Stafford will be an upgrade, maybe not. It's all about he should be, but who knows. I think Stafford is a good to ok QB, nothing more. 

2 minutes ago, Spider2YBanana said:

I honestly don't care about either Goff or Stafford. I just think it's dumb af to trade 2 first round picks for a guy with injury issues. I guess we'll find out if his strong arm will translate to wins. As for the pro bowl, it's just odd that Goff already has 2 in 4 years, while Stafford has 1 in 12 seasons despite throwing for 4,000+ yards 8 times. 

In the end I don't give two shits about either qb. Maybe Stafford will be an upgrade, maybe not. It's all about he should be, but who knows. I think Stafford is a good to ok QB, nothing more. 

Stop thinking about it like they traded two firsts for Stafford. Think of it like an NBA trade. They traded one first rounder for Stafford, which he is absolutely worth, and a first rounder so the Lions would take on Goff’s god awful contract. That’s how badly McVay felt like he couldn’t win with Goff. He was willing to do that because he knows his window is about 2-3 more years and he knows with certainty that he can’t win with Goff. It’s a bold move. Some might say it’s dumb. But the dumb thing was paying Goff when they did. I think this makes them the favorites in the NFC.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, youdunnf'dup said:

Stop thinking about it like they traded two firsts for Stafford. Think of it like an NBA trade. They traded one first rounder for Stafford, which he is absolutely worth, and a first rounder so the Lions would take on Goff’s god awful contract. That’s how badly McVay felt like he couldn’t win with Goff. He was willing to do that because he knows his window is about 2-3 more years and he knows with certainty that he can’t win with Goff. It’s a bold move. Some might say it’s dumb. But the dumb thing was paying Goff when they did. I think this makes them the favorites in the NFC.

OK, now that you put it that way I can see what you're saying. And yeah, Goff's contract is fucking absurd. As for Stafford is worth a 1st rounder, I dunno. I don't get it, but again I don't closely follow him either. Maybe he is worth it like you said, so we'll find out. I wouldn't mind seeing Stafford around guys like Malc Brown, Akers, Robert Woods, etc. 

• Like 1

So apparently Kyle Shanahan is really interested in linking back up with Kirk cousins, and they’ve been throwing bait out there for Minnesota. That would be something. Cousins was really good with Shanahan, and I think he’s a pretty underrated qb. People like to shit on him because he’s not perfect, but if he’s back with Shanahan that’s an upgrade over Jimmy G, and Shanahan knows that. 

The 49ers should try to pry Matt Ryan from Atlanta. The Falcons aren’t close to winning anything. They could get a pretty good haul dealing Ryan and Jones. There will be QB for them to draft at #4. Let him sit behind Jimmy G for a year and then you could be back in the mix for the playoffs. They are going nowhere as currently constructed.

10 hours ago, Hate said:

The 49ers should try to pry Matt Ryan from Atlanta. The Falcons aren’t close to winning anything. They could get a pretty good haul dealing Ryan and Jones. There will be QB for them to draft at #4. Let him sit behind Jimmy G for a year and then you could be back in the mix for the playoffs. They are going nowhere as currently constructed.

Meh.  Having watched quite a bit of ATL over the last couple of years, Ryan is clearly in decline. Doesn't mean he's done, but the writing is on the wall. QB's who come into the league as statesque pocket passers tend to fade sooner than guys with some overall athleticism in their game, IMHO.  Brady excepted, of course.

Having said that, ATL should dump his salary for picks if they can find a taker, I just don't know how much they are going to get for him.

Edited by Bateshorn

On 2/1/2021 at 12:55 PM, youdunnf'dup said:

That’s how badly McVay felt like he couldn’t win with Goff. He was willing to do that because he knows his window is about 2-3 more years and he knows with certainty that he can’t win with Goff. It’s a bold move. Some might say it’s dumb. But the dumb thing was paying Goff when they did. I think this makes them the favorites in the NFC.

Also because Goff kept telling people he was going to “pipe” McVay’s ladyfriend. 

Meh.  Having watched quite a bit of ATL over the last couple of years, Ryan is clearly in decline. Doesn't mean he's done, but the writing is on the wall. QB's who come into the league as statesque pocket passers tend to fade sooner than guys with some overall athleticism in their game, IMHO.  Brady excepted, of course.
Having said that, ATL should dump his salary for picks if they can find a taker, I just don't know how much they are going to get for him.

Atlanta could probably get a couple of second rounders and he is a huge upgrade still over JimmyG. SF is in win now mode and the QB position is what will hold them back.

8 minutes ago, Hate said:

Atlanta could probably get a couple of second rounders and he is a huge upgrade still over JimmyG. SF is in win now mode and the QB position is what will hold them back.

I disagree. Ryan is washed. And he’s really never been good without a healthy Julio. I’d take jimmy g over Ryan right now, but I’d personally take cousins over both in a heartbeat.

The SF offense if perfect for Ryan with the bootlegs and play action passes. SF would have the best running game Matt Ryan has ever had as well as the best defense. He also knows the offense as Shanahan was the OC when they should have won the SB against NE. The 49ers made it through 2 playoff games in 2019 throwing the ball a combined 9 times. They would have won the SB last year if JimmyG was better. He’s inaccurate, gets flustered, and hasn’t shown an ability to stay healthy.

And let me be clear, I hate the 49ers. My wife is a fan of theirs so the last things I want it for them to get better. I will admit to being jealous of them and the way they are run. My two favorite teams are amongst the worst run teams in the NFL, Cowboys and Texans.