Headstone Legality Question

Mother passed away back in the mid-90's and there's always been just the standard grave marker that the cemetery places to mark the location. With mother's day coming up, I was thinking about getting a proper headstone done.

Question that I have is do you have to put the legal name at the time of death? Backstory is that she was going through the process of a divorce from someone who was in her life for a very short time before the cancer won its battle. Guy was kind of a piece of shit and his last name isn't something I'd want going on her eternal resting place. As next-of-kin, and headstone financier, would I have the option to use just her maiden name instead?

1 hour ago, lonestar3 said:

Mother passed away back in the mid-90's and there's always been just the standard grave marker that the cemetery places to mark the location. With mother's day coming up, I was thinking about getting a proper headstone done.

Question that I have is do you have to put the legal name at the time of death? Backstory is that she was going through the process of a divorce from someone who was in her life for a very short time before the cancer won its battle. Guy was kind of a piece of shit and his last name isn't something I'd want going on her eternal resting place. As next-of-kin, and headstone financier, would I have the option to use just her maiden name instead?

Are the headstone police gonna come get you? 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Bevo said:

I'm sure there are some rules. You can't just put "Well, Bye".

Well, damn.

Honestly, just didn't know if there was some sort of burial location/legal name connection that had to be upheld. I was going to ask my mom, but...

• Like 2

14 hours ago, VirginiaLonghorn said:

https://www.findagrave.com

Here’s a link to the grave police ..

That's awesome.  I looked up my dad and found a picture of his tombstone.  They also had a picture of my mom's tombstone.  My mom is still alive, but when my dad died she had her tombstone made to match his and it's at the cemetery plot with only the date of death missing.