Person killed by landing 737 at AUS

OU Sucks

"I believe there might be a person on the runway," the pilot said to Austin air traffic controllers, in audio provided by LiveATC.net.

"Where exactly do you see the man?," the air traffic controller asked the pilot, who responded, "They are behind us dead af now." 

Shortly after they opened ABIA as an airport, I was driving down that stretch of 183 one morning and saw one of the most gorgeous bucks I've ever seen -- 12 points, thick as hell, walking just inside the fence.  I always worried about him getting hit by a plane, but never heard about a deer strike out there.  I kinda figured he was the lone buck locked in there when they sealed the fence, and if he was lucky, he had a few does in there, and he had a coupla years of bliss with no competition.

I probably thought about that deer way more than I should have.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, FondrenRoad said:

Crazily, that sailor survived with relatively minor injuries.  

Holy fuck.  I might expect that from an F14 or F18  or something at higher throttle, but an A6 presumably idling in the chocks?

I guess he got stuck in the intake, blocked the airflow and caused that flameout instead of getting sucked into the compressor and blown out in flaming chunks.

• Like 1

from reddit.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Austin/comments/gfujt5/cvratc_audio_of_the_runway_incident_last_night/

DarkSpartan

Score hidden·1 hour ago

I work at the airport. A call came over our radios, requesting that all people on the channel report in for a roll call. I didn't think much of it, but later on in the evening I had a service call outside and saw a column of police cars on the runway. I drove around the ramp and found the jet blocked off with police tape and surrounded by emergency vehicles.

I know some of the guys in airport ops. I hope they're doing all right.

level 2

UnlivedPhalanx

Score hidden·1 hour ago

How do they deplane in these types of circumstances?

level 3

blimeyfool

Score hidden·1 hour ago

Like normal. The damage wasn't discovered until the plane was at the gate.

level 4

UnlivedPhalanx

Score hidden·59 minutes ago

Interesting. I'm surprised they didn't hear it. A 100kg object striking the plane is sure to make some noise.

level 5

blimeyfool

Score hidden·56 minutes ago

Maybe, maybe not. If you listen to the audio, they didn't know they had hit him just that they had seen him just after touching down. Not only are the engines really loud, the pilots are wearing noise canceling headphones. You'd be surprised what those those block out.

level 6

UnlivedPhalanx

Score hidden·55 minutes ago

It's terrifying what mass and velocity we play around with casually on an airport runway.

level 3

zimm3rmann

Score hidden·59 minutes ago

I believe they used a normal gate.

level 4

DarkSpartan

Score hidden·52 minutes ago

Can confirm. I found the aircraft at one of the terminal gates, parked like normal. The only difference was the police cordon.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, UTexasFight said:

“Somebody get that idiot off the runway” - Wally Pryor in the air traffic control tower

There were several drunk idiots running around on the runway at old Mueller Airport in 1969 when the Horns’ charter flight returned from the Game of the Century in Arkansas. About 10,000 more were literally swarming all over & on top of the open concourse and parking apron  when the plane taxied up outside the terminal. Scared the bejesus out out DKR when he came halfway down the rear airstair & then ran back in the plane. Lol

One of the most awesome raucous scenes/events in Longhorn history.

• Like 1