Joe Biden Veepstakes 2020

Hugo Stiglitz

7 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

EYGFKnRVcAAx4ox?format=jpg&name=medium

I think I mentioned Duckworth as a savvy VP pick about a year ago.  She’s a great choice on paper and she’s rightfully being considered among nine other choices.  

A favorability poll of likely Democratic voters means fuck all.  Likely Democratic voters are going to vote for Biden no matter who the choice is.

On 5/14/2020 at 10:03 PM, Message Board User said:

Warren would be better suited as Attorney General, IMO.

I think she'd be better utilized at HHS, Labor, or Treasury.  Give me Preet Bharara for AG.  A prosecutor pedigree rooted in public corruption and Wall Street, and experience in organized crime and terrorism.  Plus, I'm pretty sure he personally fucking hates Trump and would love an opportunity to flush that can of worms back down into the sewer.

• Like 6

11 hours ago, Herpa Derpa said:

I think she'd be better utilized at HHS, Labor, or Treasury.  Give me Preet Bharara for AG.  A prosecutor pedigree rooted in public corruption and Wall Street, and experience in organized crime and terrorism.  Plus, I'm pretty sure he personally fucking hates Trump and would love an opportunity to flush that can of worms back down into the sewer.

Yep. He would be good. 

48 minutes ago, burntorangebongos said:

Stacey Abrams still got lots of shit out of the screen time no matter what Uncle Joe does. It was win/win for her no matter which way he goes. It introduced her to a lot of people that don't know her and might want her on their radar.  

Yep.  She's the least qualified but any press is good press.  Hopefully it'll launch for another run vs Kemp or a congressional seat.

Edited by Patrick Bateman

25 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

Can someone (Pancho) explain to me why black voters aren’t going all in for Harris or Abrams as Joe’s VP pick.  

I suspect I have a good idea why but I don’t want to presume.

Harris - DA record, husband. Abrams - unmarried, no kids, not a favorite of the establishment (CBC), maybe a little too liberal.

Demmings doesn't have those issues.

Edited by Bruh Man

5 minutes ago, Bruh Man said:

Harris - DA record, husband. Abrams - unmarried, no kids, not a favorite of the establishment (CBC), maybe a little too liberal.

Demmings doesn't have those issues.

I don't think record has much to do with it.  My hypothesis on why black voters overwhelmingly went for Biden and not Harris or anyone else has to do with beating Trump and that alone.  The same kind of thinking could also apply to their preferences for VP.  Black voters aren't prioritizing a WOC for VP because maybe they see that as a possible liability to defeating Trump.  Black voters seem to know white voters better than white voters know themselves and perhaps they aren't looking for anything that could be perceived or weaponized as playing token identity politics.  They want to annihilate Trump and if they felt a Kamala Harris, Abrams, or Demmings were the best VP pick to accomplish that goal, their preferences would be different.  I honestly don't know, but that's my speculation. 

On 5/19/2020 at 8:18 AM, Hugo Stiglitz said:

Can someone (Pancho) explain to me why black voters aren’t going all in for Harris or Abrams as Joe’s VP pick.  

I suspect I have a good idea why but I don’t want to presume.

My take is that black voters view Biden as enough of an ally that they don’t feel the need to impose the requirement that he choose a black VP.  By serving Obama loyally for 8 years, he has fully proven himself to the black electorate.  But that’s just my guess, I don’t really know.

Edited by Snake Diggity

My current opinion is it’s going to be Kamala Harris and if not her, Elizabeth Warren.  All other possibles (Demmings, Abrams, Rice, Whit, Klob, Duckworth) are being vetted/considered to give the appearance of due diligence, generate buzz, and inspire fundraising. 

The data keeps screaming that the politically strategic choice is Warren.  I’m insanely biased but even with my bias, Warren as VP seems like the easiest layup Biden is going to get.  She put together a national grassroots fundraising machine that was built for a general election campaign, that infrastructure is still there and Biden would foolish not to exploit it by giving her VP.  Warren was the unity candidate in the primary too as her votes were split right down the Bernie/Biden divide. 

The case for Harris is that she’s younger and black.  I don’t see where Biden gains much with that politically over Warren because the data says younger and black voters prefer Warren over Harris.

Anyway, I’m not getting my hopes up but I’d be lying if I said I wouldn’t be disappointed if Biden passed up the opportunity to hire Elizabeth Warren as his shadow president. 

Edited by Hugo Stiglitz
  • Like 1

The problem with Warren will always circle back to that Senate Seat.  Biden can't start his presidency with McConnell in control for the first 4 months while they wait for a special.  It will allow McConnell to throw sand in the gears of the first 100 days. She's gotta commit to a resignation right away so they can have a special on election day.  Charlie Baker has to call the special in no more than 160 days.  There's all sorts of ways the Mass Dem Legislature can bend the rules to help Biden out, but it's not open and shut.

The danger with a resignation is, of course, Baker could try for the seat himself. And he's insanely popular in Mass.

Edited by Bateshorn
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, Bateshorn said:

The problem with Warren will always circle back to that Senate Seat.  Biden can't start his presidency with McConnell in control for the first 4 months while they wait for a special.  It will allow McConnell to throw sand in the gears of the first 100 days. She's gotta commit to a resignation right away so they can have a special on election day.  Charlie Baker has to call the special in no more than 160 days.  There's all sorts of ways the Mass Dem Legislature can bend the rules to help Biden out, but it's not open and shut.

The danger with a resignation is, of course, Baker could try for the seat himself. And he's insanely popular in Mass.

I keep reading that the Senate seat isn’t an issue.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

Thanks.  That's useful.  I do think Baker's popularity makes it more complicated, but only in so far if the Democrats aren't willing just to go full McConnell and do whatever it takes.

Which is not an insubstantial chance.  I mean Martha Coakley threw away an open and shut seat in 2010.

Edited by Bateshorn

17 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

Pulling Warren up to the VP spot and opening that seat up for Kennedy would certainly appease some progressives who are enraged the Centrist Kennedy is challenging the more progressive Markey for his Senate seat. 

The case for Harris is that she’s younger and black. 

The case for Harris is that she is seen as a "competent" candidate capable of becoming the President.

Warren does not have that luxury and is a broader target for ridicule and scorn thanks to the short attention span of American Voters. The Repubs did a number on her, much like what they are doing with AOC presently. 

5 hours ago, Snake Diggity said:

My take is that black voters view Biden as enough of an ally that they don’t feel the need to impose the requirement that he choose a black VP.  By serving Obama loyally for 8 years, he has fully proven himself to the black electorate.  But that’s just my guess, I don’t really know.

I suspect that picking a black VP may be less about black voters, than about white suburban voters uneasy (or at least pretending to be) with the Republicans' racism.

• Like 1

I think highly of Congresswoman Demmings but I don't quite get all the love she's getting. That said, there appears to be more than a few really good candidates available to Biden.

To me, the most sensible choice would be Susan RIce, She's smart, experienced, knows her way around the White House and could navigate the geopolitical land mines well enough. I'm not sure another person in consideration would be able to manage Biden's pandemic plan on 1/21/21 as well as she could. She is appropriately tough and able to articulate policy positions in an understandable way. Any concerns about Republicans smearing her with Bengazhi should be put in the proper perspective since they can be counted on to smear whoever Biden chooses. Lastly, I think she matches up well with the likely GOP  standard bearer in 24; Nikki Haley.

Biden-Rice for me.

Just now, Satchel said:

think highly of Congresswoman Demmings but I don't quite get all the love she's getting.

Much of this “VP vetting process” is about elevating the up and coming players in the Democratic Party.

Give them a free media spotlight for a few months, build up some easy name recognition, and put them in better position to lead down the road. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, lemonlime said:

I suspect that picking a black VP may be less about black voters, than about white suburban voters uneasy (or at least pretending to be) with the Republicans' racism.

Um, suburban voters are little racist.  A lot of them support Trump and his idiotic border wall, rescinding DACA, etc.

49 minutes ago, Message Board User said:

She says in this article her goal is a single payer healthcare system.  However, it does appear her messaging is now synchronizing with Biden’s on healthcare which is what she should be doing anyway since he’s the nominee. 

If Biden was going to pick Warren, right now he would be synchronizing his messaging with her, writing op-eds with her, calling donors with her, and tweeting with her.  

Or...Biden could be trolling me.

Edited by Hugo Stiglitz