Joe Biden Veepstakes 2020

Hugo Stiglitz

19 minutes ago, Hank Kingsley said:

Definitely feels like there is momentum for Warren as VP. 

Either way, great to see that Liz would be a powerful voice during Joe's potential administration. 

Picking Warren would send a real signal he’s serious about the job and beating the shit out of Trump. 

Not picking Warren would draw more scrutiny, at least from me.  It’s hard imagining the VP pick having much influence on the outcome of the election but if Biden passes on Warren and lost with Harris, that decision would forever be second guessed.  With Warren, he at least has the data to back up the decision.  

1 minute ago, Pancho said:

I'd be worried about two olds on the ticket

If Warren looked and worked like her age, I’d see this as a legit concern.  However, she worked harder than anyone else in the primary, is physically healthy, and she doesn’t look a day over 60. 

Out of Trump, Biden, Pelosi, Bloomberg, Bernie, Hillary, and Warren; Warren is the youngest by several years.  At the end of Biden serving two terms, Warren would still be younger than Biden is now. 

I'd be worried about two olds on the ticket, but I will say Warren is very well liked by Blacks, specifically Black Women. 
Give me Harris or Warren, but there needs to be heavy Latinx surrogates. 
That's an interesting statement. Warren did get noticeable support from black activists, but she drew a miniscule amount of black voters. Like on par with or worse then Pete or Klobuchar miniscule.

I guess it's wouldn't necessarialy be conflicting that she has high favorability among the black electorate despite the fact that an overwhelming majority of blacks went with Biden. Strong number two sort of thing.

As a big Warren supporter I'm conflicted on the VP buzz. She's certainly qualified and with Biden's capacity visibly declined I could see her being a pretty powerful VP. If you told me the plan was essentially for Biden to be the figurehead and Warren the one who governs, I could get behind that.

Still, she's pretty old. I'm uneasy with a 70+ year old VP for an 80+ year old president. I'd also hate for her to languish in a do nothing VP role. Terrible political instincts aside, she's one of American politics' best and brightest.

28 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

That's an interesting statement. Warren did get noticeable support from black activists, but she drew a miniscule amount of black voters. Like on par with or worse then Pete or Klobuchar miniscule.

I guess it's wouldn't necessarialy be conflicting that she has high favorability among the black electorate despite the fact that an overwhelming majority of blacks went with Biden. Strong number two sort of thing.

As a big Warren supporter I'm conflicted on the VP buzz. She's certainly qualified and with Biden's capacity visibly declined I could see her being a pretty powerful VP. If you told me the plan was essentially for Biden to be the figurehead and Warren the one who governs, I could get behind that.

Still, she's pretty old. I'm uneasy with a 70+ year old VP for an 80+ year old president. I'd also hate for her to languish in a do nothing VP role. Terrible political instincts aside, she's one of American politics' best and brightest.

Senate majority leader is the most important role Warren could possibly fill, and it's not even close...

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Doc Sam Beckett said:

Senate majority leader is the most important role Warren could possibly fill, and it's not even close...

I would agree with this.  I think it's paramount that she have a highly influential and visible position somewhere.  

11 minutes ago, Doc Sam Beckett said:

She couldn’t get Senate confirmed for an appointed position under Obama.  This fantasy world where she somehow magically becomes Majority Leader is cute though.  She has a better shot at almost any other job in government, including President.

47 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

As a big Warren supporter I'm conflicted on the VP buzz.

The deal breaker for me is she WANTS to be Biden’s VP.  If I trust her judgment, I trust her to make the most of her position as Biden’s VP.  She could easily back door her way into the Presidency too...Or she stays in the Senate that can flip every two years.  I don’t feel conflicted at all.

1 hour ago, gmr548 said:

Because as I said before, Black people (not all but most) saw the polls that Biden can beat Trump.  That’s #1 on the list.  But Warren was/is definitely liked by Blacks with college educated Black women leading that pack from what I see/saw.  I voted for her in the primary.  Her “I have a plan for that” resonated. 

I don't really see how Warren brings in more voters, but if Biden picks her because he believes she's the most qualified, I'm obviously good with it. 

Not sure there's any seriously considered VP candidate that will satisfy the left, so it's smart not to worry too much about pleasing them. Personally I look at this decision as trying to avoid a candidate that creates backlash, whether it comes from Rs and/or Ds . I think Trump & the GOP will try to manufacture controversy over the VP selection, and they feel pretty comfortable attacking Warren. 

Also not convinced Warren will excite POC. And ideally Biden's VP does just that, as voter turnout is crucial. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Macanudo said:

Um, suburban voters are little racist.  A lot of them support Trump and his idiotic border wall, rescinding DACA, etc.

Yeah, many (most?) are.  I think this is targeted at white, suburban soccer moms who don't like kids in cages and the border wall and "have some black friends."  

1 minute ago, Hank Kingsley said:

*fart noises*

They have to do that.  Give Klob the appearance of being a contender.  She did a lot for team Biden in the Primary. 

However, it would be political malpractice to pick her.  Worse than Tim Kaine bad.

2 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

They have to do that.  Give Klob the appearance of being a contender.  She did a lot for team Biden in the Primary. 

However, it would be political malpractice to pick her.  Worse than Tim Kaine bad.

She's not even the best middle-aged white woman from the Midwest under consideration.  Hoping we see a couple more of these "being asked to undergo vetting" stories pop up soon, otherwise... yikes.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Message Board User said:

Why even vet her?

The juvenile lifer issue should make her a non-starter.  The LAST thing that Biden needs is Black Lives Matter protesters (ginned up by Parscale) at his rallies.

Klobs would be the very definition of a self-inflicted wound.

No one will give a shit by Saturday.  If Biden didn’t vet Klob, it would be worse. He needs more white applicants so he doesn’t come off racist when he picks Warren at the end.  

/fantasy 

28 minutes ago, Message Board User said:

Why even vet her?

it's not about vetting her.  it's about announcing that they're vetting her.

i agree with whomever said earlier that the vp discussion should be about elevating younger stars in the party (or at least female stars).  it'll only help whitmer, demmings, duckworth, etc with their national profiles down the road.

4 hours ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

She couldn’t get Senate confirmed for an appointed position under Obama.  This fantasy world where she somehow magically becomes Majority Leader is cute though.  She has a better shot at almost any other job in government, including President.

am i confused with how majority leader is chosen?  obviously we're assuming the senate flips.

3 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

i agree with whomever said earlier that the vp discussion should be about elevating younger stars in the party (or at least female stars).  it'll only help whitmer, demmings, duckworth, etc with their national profiles down the road.

This, same with announcing the other day they were vetting Whitmer

14 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

am i confused with how majority leader is chosen?  obviously we're assuming the senate flips.

The Senators decide and it is an enormous leap of faith to assume all the Feinsteins, Doug Jones, Manchins, Menendezes, Coons, and Schumers are going to fall in line behind Elizabeth Warren as majority leader.  There are corrupt motherfuckers on both sides of the aisle too.  I’m just saying, I’d take my chances with Warren winning any other election than one in the US Senate.

It’s a lovely idea in theory but Bernie is more likely to get MFA passed.

Edited by Hugo Stiglitz

34 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

i agree with whomever said earlier that the vp discussion should be about elevating younger stars in the party (or at least female stars).  it'll only help whitmer, demmings, duckworth, etc with their national profiles down the road

That was me and vetting 10-12 for VP serves as a double job interview if you had any plans for cabinet appointments. 

21 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

The Senators decide and it is an enormous leap of faith to assume all the Feinsteins, Doug Jones, Manchins, Menendezes, Coons, and Schumers are going to fall in line behind Elizabeth Warren as majority leader.  There are corrupt motherfuckers on both sides of the aisle too.  I’m just saying, I’d take my chances with Warren winning any other election than one in the US Senate.

but it's a majority vote, right?  doesn't need to be unanimous.  i understand that surly is home to hyperbole, but it doesn't seem like the stretch you're making it out to be.

3 hours ago, burntorangebongos said:

She's old but she takes care of herself. Proof she was hardly winded after making a mad dash to catch a train. I would have been huffing and puffing during the interview, I'm sure. 

She had my vote for president.  Also, Penn Station sux.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

So you think after hitting a walk off and landing the presidency and the senate, the Dems would then break against Warren? Come on 

1 hour ago, Doc Sam Beckett said:

So you think after hitting a walk off and landing the presidency and the senate, the Dems would then break against Warren? Come on 

I think he's saying that within the Democratic party leadership in the Senate, Warren doesn't have the support within the power structure to ascend to the role.  She may be more popular with the party masses than leadership.  I admit it's not a dynamic which I have a good feel for.

Edited by Patrick Bateman

4 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

I think he's saying that within the Democratic party leadership in the Senate, Warren doesn't have the support within the power structure to ascend to the role.  She may be more popular with the party masses than leadership.  I admit it's not a dynamic which I have a good feel for.

This exactly.  Warren wants to end lobbyists, the revolving door, and all those swampy things Senators get away with.  This isn’t exactly popular among the corporate interests that finance senate campaigns. 

9 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

Right, but she's one of the biggest names in the party, and the most visible advisor to Biden at the moment. This isn't 2008, and I'd say there's an extremely small chance that Senate Democrats would turn their back on her, especially if Biden supports her being majority leader, which I'd say is a near certainty if she continues working with him as much as she is. 

• Like 2

I've come around completely on Warren as veep, in part because it seems like that dipshit Kennedy can just take her spot and not primary Markey. Honestly that's almost reason enough – Markey kicks ass – but also Warren as the one actually steering the ship in the White House would be a dream come true. 

And the more I think about it, the more I think Warren is a wash vis a vis Kamala and Black support. Kamala didn't exactly fire up the Black vote and Black women seem to really like Warren.

As good as Kamala is/would be as an attack dog, Warren would be even better. 

• Like 2

I'd be good with any of those with a realistic chance of being chosen. Ideally, I'd like to leave the Senate as is in the very likely event we  could flip it. I'm rather dubious about the MA governor replacing Warren with a Democrat.

• Like 1

Just watched his interview on Colbert. He talked about his vetting process for Obama and how he was a respected voice with a different approach and experience with foreign leaders. It was pretty clear it's going to be someone with strong foreign policy cred so you can scratch Gretchen off the list.

7 hours ago, RPM said:

Just watched his interview on Colbert. He talked about his vetting process for Obama and how he was a respected voice with a different approach and experience with foreign leaders. It was pretty clear it's going to be someone with strong foreign policy cred so you can scratch Gretchen off the list.

That doesn't really make any sense – Biden brought a different approach + foreign policy experience to Obama's ticket, wouldn't Biden then want someone who brought something different? He brings foreign policy experience so he doesn't need a VP who has that.

FWIW, I'm not sure any of the leading VP candidates really have much foreign policy experience. Certainly not Harris or Abrams, and tbh it feels like Warren's weakest area as well. Shit, Klobuchar couldn't even name the Mexican president. 

18 hours ago, henrygandorf said:

I've seen a few posts referencing Demmings when talking about 'younger stars in the party' - but she's 63 years old (by contrast Whitmer is 48 and Duckworth is 52).  I like Demming as a VP candidate - but I don't think she's a candidate that you're looking to elevate for opportunity 'down the road'.