Joe Biden Veepstakes 2020

Hugo Stiglitz

3 hours ago, tantric superman said:

Anybody have a link to a story or speech by Stacy Abrams that I'd be impressed by.

Because I'm very unimpressed but I haven't given her a chance.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/magazine/2020/05/14/stacey-abrams-political-power/?arc404=true

She should not, and will not, be the VP but she's doing good things in regards to voting rights in GA and America.  

• Like 2

Just watched his interview on Colbert. He talked about his vetting process for Obama and how he was a respected voice with a different approach and experience with foreign leaders. It was pretty clear it's going to be someone with strong foreign policy cred so you can scratch Gretchen off the list.
Idk, that was his strength relative to Obama, a junior senator. There are plenty of knocks on Biden's resume, but experience managing international relations is not one of them. With most of the attacks on him being either bc he is just another old white dude, or because he's not progressive enough, foreign policy is probably not a priority.
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, gmr548 said:
13 hours ago, RPM said:
Just watched his interview on Colbert. He talked about his vetting process for Obama and how he was a respected voice with a different approach and experience with foreign leaders. It was pretty clear it's going to be someone with strong foreign policy cred so you can scratch Gretchen off the list.

Idk, that was his strength relative to Obama, a junior senator. There are plenty of knocks on Biden's resume, but experience managing international relations is not one of them. With most of the attacks on him being either bc he is just another old white dude, or because he's not progressive enough, foreign policy is probably not a priority.

Biden is going to want to handle foreign policy and probably delegate most of the domestic policy. 

Politically, if Biden was going to pick Warren, he would want to make it clear that he’s not embracing some of her more big donor alienating ideas.  

Sadly, however, his statements in this article come off as not well informed and still out of touch with the brutal realities facing most Americans. 

Obama and Biden disagreed on a lot of stuff behind the scenes but they managed to make it work. Given Biden’s experience as VP, I can see why he might want Warren in on every difficult decision a president has to make.

Many of the other VP candidates seem like they would just tell Biden what he wants to hear; he would never have to worry about that with Liz.  She don’t hold back and Biden probably values that most. 

Edited by Hugo Stiglitz
  • Like 1

As much as people say that a running mate doesn't matter, I think Demings is an exception. A 2% bump for Biden in Florida, which is totally reasonable, along with an extra few thousand votes spread across the battleground states with sizable black populations (MI, NC, PA) would all but seal the win.

She's my pick for the ticket.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, berlinerbaer said:

As much as people say that a running mate doesn't matter, I think Demings is an exception. A 2% bump for Biden in Florida, which is totally reasonable, along with an extra few thousand votes spread across the battleground states with sizable black populations (MI, NC, PA) would all but seal the win.

She's my pick for the ticket.

Been on the Demings bandwagon for the last month and she's 4th in the betting markets.

5 minutes ago, tantric superman said:

Count me in on Demings.  She seems reasonable on guns and her background gives her some cred, as does her F rating from the NRA.  Wish she had a couple more terms under her belt but lets get this done.

On This week this morning, Rahm and Chris Christie pointed out that the first rule in picking a VP is "Do no harm."  Demings and Kamala (to me) meet that first rule better than anybody else under consideration.

• Like 1

The most interesting thing about the VP debate is how different people value the position of VP and also how the job of Vice President has changed over the last 40 years.  People seem pretty flippant about it for the most part. 

We are about to go through a depression like we’ve never seen with Grandpa Joe or Donald Trump.  Seems like the person on deck should go beyond mere superficial metrics.

3 hours ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

The most interesting thing about the VP debate is how different people value the position of VP and also how the job of Vice President has changed over the last 40 years.  People seem pretty flippant about it for the most part. 

We are about to go through a depression like we’ve never seen with Grandpa Joe or Donald Trump.  Seems like the person on deck should go beyond mere superficial metrics.

VP pick is more important in close elections.  But a way bigger factor is that Biden’s age makes it far more likely than normal that the VP will be President.

It'll be Kamala Harris.  She looks the part.  She also worked with Beau Biden when she was AG.

Also, she's won multiple statewide elections in a big state.  Stacey Abrams has a mess of a personal life and her highest office has been state ledge.

Klobs would be a good choice because appeals to Midwestern types.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Aqua Buddha said:

It'll be Kamala Harris.  She looks the part.  She also worked with Beau Biden when she was AG.

Also, she's won multiple statewide elections in a big state.  Stacey Abrams has a mess of a personal life and her highest office has been state ledge.

Klobs would be a good choice because appeals to Midwestern types.

Harris (+180) has to be the favorite.  Warren (+700) also would not shock.  Demings (+1200) is the darkhorse.

Klobs (+300), Clinton (+2000), and Whitmer (+1000): too much baggage.  Really surprised at the odds on Klobs.

Abrams (+1400): not enough experience.

Masto (+2000)/Rice: not enough star power.

Obama (+800): not interested

3 hours ago, Snake Diggity said:

Harris (+180) has to be the favorite.  Warren (+700) also would not shock.  Demings (+1200) is the darkhorse.

Klobs (+300), Clinton (+2000), and Whitmer (+1000): too much baggage.  Really surprised at the odds on Klobs.

Abrams (+1400): not enough experience.

Masto (+2000)/Rice: not enough star power.

Obama (+800): not interested

What do you mean darkhorse??

Kidding, she is my favorite followed by kamala.

I think the hope is by August 1, Biden can start holding small public appearances again at which point he can unveil his running mate and get a near term bounce. Appointing one now makes little sense given the country is focused on the pandemic and trying to pay bills.

6 minutes ago, 6th Street said:

I think the hope is by August 1, Biden can start holding small public appearances again at which point he can unveil his running mate and get a near term bounce. Appointing one now makes little sense given the country is focused on the pandemic and trying to pay bills.

The best strategy is to wait as long as possible.  Minimizes the chance for things to go wrong (like the veep candidate doing something stupid or having something get uncovered), maximizes then impact of the announcement on the actual results.  August 1 is about as late as you can reasonably wait, as that’s only 12 weeks to Election Day.  Gotta have enough time to campaign, debate (maybe), and plan for governing.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

Well yeah, if Biden wants to win.

Warren is the VP candidate that would leave me hoping that Biden resigned shortly after being elected.  I don’t agree with many of her policies, but I feel very confident she would have her shit together and lead with dignity.

I don’t think Biden would lose if he picks someone not named Elizabeth Warren but I 100% believe he would win more convincingly if he selected Warren.

This isn’t the election to leave something to chance or make unforced errors due to identity politics and white guilt.  

Beat Trump.  Biden needs to put himself in the best position to beat Trump.  Biden is fortunate the best person for the VP job also happens to be the most politically strategic to help win the election, according to all the data on this. 

Edited by Hugo Stiglitz
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

I don’t think Biden would lose if he picks someone not named Elizabeth Warren but I 100% believe he would win more convincingly if he selected Warren.

This isn’t the election to leave something to chance or make unforced errors due to identity politics and white guilt.  

Beat Trump.  Biden needs to put himself in the best position to beat Trump.  Biden is fortunate the best person for the VP job also happens to be the most politically strategic to help win the election, according to all the data on this. 

I admit to wanting to be argumentative a bit here, but I question the polling data that says Warren is the preferred VP candidate for Black and Latino voters. I just don't buy it. She did poorly in the primaries with POC. Her base has been college educated whites. 

For politicos, Warren makes sense. But most voters aren't heavily invested with policy specifics. I'd expect significant backlash from Black voters if Biden names Warren (or any white woman) as VP, especially with the racial injustice cases that have been rightly amplified recently. 

Edited by Hank Kingsley
  • Like 4

Warren is obviously a strong choice for any number of reasons.  One question for me is age. Biden has made it clear that he is a transitional candidate to the younger wing of the party (Pete, Yang, Harris).  I believe he has even discussed only serving one term.  How does Warren fit in that scenario? She is 70 now so would be looking at 74 for a first term if Biden doesn’t run for two and she takes up the mantle.  I’m not sure what the long term play is with Warren.  Of course it’s also perfectly acceptable that the more immediate goal of getting rid of Trump trumps long term goals right now.

Harris seems like a great choice.  Younger.  African American.  Woman.  And she is from CA so you feel good that you don’t lose a Senate seat.  Of course she is not necessarily going to help with some of the important swing states.

Its a very interesting decision but I think the most important thing is that Biden run a better campaign than Clinton did taking voters for granted.  

1 hour ago, Hank Kingsley said:

I'd expect significant backlash from Black voters if Biden names Warren

Why?  Because she’s not black?  Ever consider that picking a Harris or Abrams would be seen as tokenism and merely playing identity politics thus depressing enthusiasm among the voters Biden needs to get to win? 

Black voters didn’t pick Biden because he would select a black VP.  They picked him because they know him and want to beat Trump.  Black voters have been pretty clear about their priorities and picking a WOC VP hasn’t been high on the list. 

Cant help but shrug at the data denialism either. “The data doesn’t match what I think so it must be wrong.”

It’s not just one poll that says Warren is most preferred among blacks and Latinos.  It’s every single poll. 

Edited by Hugo Stiglitz

42 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

Why?  Because she’s not black?  Ever consider that picking a Harris or Abrams would be seen as tokenism and merely playing identity politics thus depressing enthusiasm among the voters Biden needs to get to win? 

Black voters didn’t pick Biden because he would select a black VP.  They picked him because they know him and want to beat Trump.  Black voters have been pretty clear about their priorities and picking a WOC VP hasn’t been high on the list. 

Cant help but shrug at the data denialism either. “The data doesn’t match what I think so it must be wrong.”

It’s not just one poll that says Warren is most preferred among blacks and Latinos.  It’s every single poll. 

Yes, because she's not black. It's an issue for Klobuchar (even moreso) and Whitmer as well.  I don't think it's "tokenism" with Kamala Harris. She is qualified for the position. 

The polling data in October had Warren as a favorite for the presidency. Things change. I don't put much stock in VP preference polls. She definitely has the most name recognition and was the last woman standing in the primary (EDIT: sorry, Tulsi), so it makes sense she'd poll well. 

If Biden picks Warren, I'd obviously fully support it and hope I'm proven wrong if she ends up exciting POC voters.  I just don't agree that Warren as VP would maximize Biden's chances at a dominating victory.  Is it a better governing ticket? Most likely.  Best chance at a Biden blowout win? Nah. 

Edited by Hank Kingsley

1 minute ago, Hank Kingsley said:

she ends up exciting POC voters

Black voters are mostly coming out to fire Donald Trump.  Black voters PICKED Joe Biden, overwhelming, and he ain’t black. The black vote is reasonably secure for Biden. The Berners and independents are less secure.  I mean, this isn’t rocket science. Biden needs a VP that shores up his weakness and expands his coalition. 

2 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

Black voters are mostly coming out to fire Donald Trump.  Black voters PICKED Joe Biden, overwhelming, and he ain’t black. The black vote is reasonably secure for Biden. The Berners and independents are less secure.  I mean, this isn’t rocket science. Biden needs a VP that shores up his weakness and expands his coalition. 

I don't think Biden at the top of the ticket is enough. His dominating with the black vote was also due to going up against Sanders, Buttigieg, Warren, and Bloomberg, candidates that all had their own particular struggles with POC. 

Berners have already turned on Elizabeth Warren. I don't believe there is a candidate that is seriously being considered who would appease them. I'd rather call their bluff instead of throwing them a bone that they'll just ignore. 

To be clear, my argument here is strictly about voter turnout and the importance of decisively whooping Trump's ass at the polls. That is paramount to me when looking at VP nom for this specific general election. 

Warren ran a terrible campaign, finished in like 5th place, and even got smoked in her home state of MA by a crazy old man in Bernie Sanders. She does little to strengthen the Biden ticket in swing states, and is not going to energize people to come out.

At least with Harris you have someone younger and the prospect of a minority being one step away from the Presidency is sure to entice at least a few blacks, Hispanics, Indo/Paks, and Asians.

5 minutes ago, 6th Street said:

Warren ran a terrible campaign, finished in like 5th place, and even got smoked in her home state of MA by a crazy old man in Bernie Sanders. She does little to strengthen the Biden ticket in swing states, and is not going to energize people to come out.

At least with Harris you have someone younger and the prospect of a minority being one step away from the Presidency is sure to entice at least a few blacks, Hispanics, Indo/Paks, and Asians.

To be fair, Kamala ran a terrible presidential campaign. She's much more appealing as a VP candidate, at least for this cycle.